PDA

View Full Version : The Straight Edge Issue

Robstar
01-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Not to disrespect the straight edge lifestyle - in fact I think there are far worse ways that a person could approach life, but I have an issue with it that I'd like to bring to discussion.

Caffeine. CM Punk is notoriously proud of his like for Pepsi, so much so that he has the Pepsi logo tattooed on himself. Still - there are worse things than a bit of caffeine. But it is still classified as a drug - It's a stimulant.

As someone who has had experience within rehab facilities and 12 step programs, I have witnessed people use caffeine as a substitute in place of other addictions. I mean those guys drink a LOT of coffee! And believe me, it certainly affects peoples moods.

So, my question is this- what do you think of CM Punk's advocacy of caffeine use and where do we draw the line? Caffeine is ok but cigarettes are bad? Cigarettes ok but alcohol bad? Alcohol ok but drugs are bad(m'kay)? Some drugs are ok but others are bad?

In the end is it just the right to choose for oneself and be free to do so? We will never escape the judgements and opinions of others as there will always be those who refuse to keep theirs to themself. (For the record I am not commenting on any of Punk's comments made during WWE storylines)

Thoughts?:confused:

The Brown One
01-02-2011, 08:55 PM
To me, its where you draw the line on drugs. If you start doing needle drugs, then thats going too far.

In no way do I support alcohol abuse(I got alcohol poisoning before, and have taken it easier after that, so I know what I'm talking about), or drug abuse, but I think that coffee and paracetamol are okay in small amounts. Too much of them can harm you, but a limited amount is okay.

Doing drugs is not only addictive, but harmful to your health, so I'm against those, but they aeren't as dangerous and addictive as needle drugs. Once your'e on those, rehab fails most of the time, and your'e a lost cause.

As for Punk, I'm sure even he takes a paracetamol when hes got a headache or something. Its not that bad.

Bodom
01-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Caffeine free FTW

Kashdinero
01-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Moderation.

It would take a while to, individually, list the things I have taken that could be described as drugs.

And I haven't turned out that bad ; )

All jokes aside, I've often thought about the fact that Punk is a "Pepsi Adict", yet claims to live a drug free life. Granted it's no-where near as harmful as "proper" drugs and alcohol but it is still, essentially, a fix!

The Brown One
01-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Moderation.

It would take a while to, individually, list the things I have taken that could be described as drugs.

And I haven't turned out that bad ; )

All jokes aside, I've often thought about the fact that Punk is a "Pepsi Adict", yet claims to live a drug free life. Granted it's no-where near as harmful as "proper" drugs and alcohol but it is still, essentially, a fix!

Lol give the guy he break! He doesn't drink anything alcoholic! He deserves Pepsi.

Robstar
01-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Not sure what your definition of needle drugs is Brownie, since some of those substances can be snorted or smoked! I think maybe you mean chemicals as opposed to herbs?

I'm not saying Punk + Pepsi is wrong at all. I'd say practically everyone has an addiction of some kind, be it relationships, sex, masturbation, peeing in the shower.... ;)

Bodom
01-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Not sure what your definition of needle drugs is Brownie, since some of those substances can be snorted or smoked! I think maybe you mean chemicals as opposed to herbs?

I'm not saying Punk + Pepsi is wrong at all. I'd say practically everyone has an addiction of some kind, be it relationships, sex, masturbation, peeing in the shower.... ;)

or Vickie Guerrero.

The Brown One
01-02-2011, 10:17 PM

Needle drugs that aeren't prescribed, but are taken as a "pick me up". Just for a kick etc. those kinds of needle drugs.

Robstar
01-02-2011, 10:22 PM
or Vickie Guerrero.

Touché! ;)

Iron Ape
01-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Soda is worse for a person's body than marijuana, yet they have machines that dispense the stuff inside of schools and hospitals. What's wrong with that picture?

SaberToothTigerz
01-04-2011, 08:16 AM
in here
no drugs
no smoke
no drinks
no pepsi "srsly i hate coca cola or pepsi i just dont like the gas"
i only drink pulp juice
i dont take much caffeine
im not in perfect shape but im not a ball of greise either

The Brown One
01-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Soda is worse for a person's body than marijuana, yet they have machines that dispense the stuff inside of schools and hospitals. What's wrong with that picture?

It is? Explain how. Just wondering the exact reason.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
01-04-2011, 12:24 PM
This topic is very interesting and glad you brought this up Rob. IPEEINTHESHOWER consumes his fair share of alcohol. I am of legal age and believe its my right to do so. People have been making beer since 10000 B.C.E in ancient Mesopotamia, the region of southwest Asia currently occupied by Iraq. I simply think I am continuing the tradition of enjoying the nectar of the gods.
What I would really like to point out is my strong believe in a strange little plant that can change the world. I am a huge advocate of marijuana. Sure I can tell you its never killed one person in history or the drug has significant medical value for patients who suffer from AIDS, glaucoma, cancer, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, and chronic pain. I would like to talk about how this wonderful plant has saved my life on more than one occasion. You see, my brain is different than yours, for example every thought you have I've had 5-10 in the same time frame. My mind races, its hard to sleep at night when your brain doesn't shut off. When I take a toke of the greatest plant on earth, my mind slows down, my ups and downs aren't that severe. It helps me in my daily life. I'm not saying I wake and bake everyday, but IPEEINTHESHOWER is a regular smoker for life. Do I think kids should smoke weed, nope. But I do think when your 18 your an adult and you should be able to make that decision and not have to worry about getting a ticket for one of life's little pleasures.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll152/MaRiLeNa_/animated.gif

SilverGhost
01-04-2011, 12:36 PM

Small doses of Caffine is ok but excess amounts do lead to complications in the brain.

SilverGhost
01-04-2011, 12:38 PM
This topic is very interesting and glad you brought this up Rob. IPEEINTHESHOWER consumes his fair share of alcohol. I am of legal age and believe its my right to do so. People have been making beer since 10000 B.C.E in ancient Mesopotamia, the region of southwest Asia currently occupied by Iraq. I simply think I am continuing the tradition of enjoying the nectar of the gods.
What I would really like to point out is my strong believe in a strange little plant that can change the world. I am a huge advocate of marijuana. Sure I can tell you its never killed one person in history or the drug has significant medical value for patients who suffer from AIDS, glaucoma, cancer, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, and chronic pain. I would like to talk about how this wonderful plant has saved my life on more than one occasion. You see, my brain is different than yours, for example every thought you have I've had 5-10 in the same time frame. My mind races, its hard to sleep at night when your brain doesn't shut off. When I take a toke of the greatest plant on earth, my mind slows down, my ups and downs aren't that severe. It helps me in my daily life. I'm not saying I wake and bake everyday, but IPEEINTHESHOWER is a regular smoker for life. Do I think kids should smoke weed, nope. But I do think when your 18 your an adult and you should be able to make that decision and not have to worry about getting a ticket for one of life's little pleasures.

Thats the problem. I was around plenty of people who use it just for the high and nothing else. I don't use the stuff because I don't need to or have a valid reason.

Teens do live a tough life but drugs isn't the solution.

RevolutionIcon
01-04-2011, 12:43 PM

Me and you, have the same problem. And the same solution.

Rich Cranium
01-04-2011, 01:36 PM
As someone who has had experience within rehab facilities and 12 step programs, I have witnessed people use caffeine as a substitute in place of other addictions. I mean those guys drink a LOT of coffee! And believe me, it certainly affects peoples moods.

My father was religious about attending AA after 25+ years of heavy drinking and after he started going to the meetings, I never saw him without a cup of coffee in his hand! I also met some of the AA peeps he befriended there and they were all coffee addicts as well! Point is, I believe everyone has a vice no matter how minuscule it may be.

CGBigMan
01-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Im only 16 so legally i cant drink alchohol anyway
but i have promised myself not to drink to much and if im going to get drunk make sure someone can get me home
cant smoke due to freqeuntly bad astma
i do admittedly drink quite a bit of enerygy drink(monster. rockstar etc)
but i beleive its always a choice i have chosen not to drink alchohol young others have not simple

68wPayne
01-04-2011, 03:28 PM
I think the point of the Straight Edge movement is to stay away from things that are potentially deadly (drugs, tobacco, alcohol). While caffeine my not be healthy, it's not deadly. They aren't trying to be monks and stay away from all vices because they do drink cokes and coffee, and they usually will get into a fight in a heartbeat (alot of them are violent little bastards) but they do stay away from illegal and deadly substances.

Kashdinero
01-04-2011, 03:36 PM

There is a nasty little sweetener that is put in to, mostly diet, soda. It's name is Aspartame.

Follow this link to be somewhat shocked at the possible side effects of this manufactured sweetner.

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html

68wPayne
01-04-2011, 03:43 PM
There is a nasty little sweetener that is put in to, mostly diet, soda. It's name is Aspartame.

Follow this link to be somewhat shocked at the possible side effects of this manufactured sweetner.

That's why I don't drink diet cokes, only the real thing for me.

The Brown One
01-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Small doses of Caffine is ok but excess amounts do lead to complications in the brain.

I heard it takes 200 cups of coffee in 1 session to die.

That is disturbing. It seems that diet soda is more harmful than regular soda.

Kashdinero
01-04-2011, 04:54 PM
That is disturbing. It seems that diet soda is more harmful than regular soda.

By far. It's quite sad that more people don't know about this harmful sweetener.... It's not just in sodas. Try checking the ingredients of any Diet based sweet foods and you may be surprised.

The Brown One
01-04-2011, 05:34 PM

By far. It's quite sad that more people don't know about this harmful sweetener.... It's not just in sodas. Try checking the ingredients of any Diet based sweet foods and you may be surprised.

Is it in diet sweetners? Like Equal?

Robstar
01-04-2011, 07:18 PM

Aspartame is yes I believe.

The Brown One
01-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Aspartame is yes I believe.

Sugars fine then. But even thats bad for you haha.

Rich Cranium
01-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Sugars fine then. But even thats bad for you haha.

Do you believe that consuming too much sugar causes Diabetes?

Kashdinero
01-04-2011, 08:33 PM

I would imagine so. We don't have equal over here but the diet sweeteners over here basically are Aspartame! The risks associated with this vile invention don't just stop with the effects it has on your body. It also has an adverse affect on your brain! The scientists who created it knew full well what it does to us, but went ahead with the mass production of it anyway. Think about that for a second.

RevolutionIcon
01-04-2011, 08:57 PM
I think the point of the Straight Edge movement is to stay away from things that are potentially deadly (drugs, tobacco, alcohol). While caffeine my not be healthy, it's not deadly. They aren't trying to be monks and stay away from all vices because they do drink cokes and coffee, and they usually will get into a fight in a heartbeat (alot of them are violent little bastards) but they do stay away from illegal and deadly substances.

Caffeine Can kill you man. It's called a heart attack or a stroke, and if you think thats rare then you should check it out. It's as if pharmaceutical companies invented these energy drinks so that you need to buy more medications for the side effects brought to the health.

And yeah asparatame is evil shit millions of people digest everyday.

Bodom
01-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Do you believe that consuming too much sugar causes Diabetes?

You can get Diabetes by being overweight.

Rich Cranium
01-04-2011, 09:23 PM
You can get Diabetes by being overweight.

Right but is the 'too much sugar' thing a myth or real?

Bodom
01-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Right but is the 'too much sugar' thing a myth or real?

In a nut shell:

"Too much sugar" can elevate the amount of glucose in your blood, "blood-sugar". A high blood-sugar for ___ amount of time can cause "pre-diabetes" and not taking care of that can cause full blown Type 2 Diabetes.

However, if you balance out your sugar intake with healthy eating, exercise, and basically take care of yourself, you can greatly reduce your risk of Diabetes

Rich Cranium
01-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Thanks Dr. Bodom :), Now I can reach out to you for Health and Wrestling!

Bodom
01-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Thanks Dr. Bodom :), Now I can reach out to you for Health and Wrestling!

Dude I live with a Nutritional Oncologist and have a family of Diabetics.

I know WAY more about this stuff than I wish I did.

Iron Ape
01-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Did you know certain sodas are used to clean rust off of nails and acid off of car batteries? Now just imagine what stuff that corrosive does when it is inside of your body. So, yeah. And if you're not getting stomach cancer from the Aspartame in the diet stuff, the sugars in the regular stuff are waging war on your teeth. Speaking of teeth: did you know that scientists now say that there is a direct correlation between dental health and the health of your heart? So, basically, if something is destroying your enamel (the main line of defense in your mouth) and tearing up your gums, you're also putting yourself at risk for a whole host of extremely serious non-dental related issues, too. And by the looks of what others have posted, I don't even need to get into the diabetes.

Also, soda doesn't have any real medicinal benefits, whereas marijuana has a ton.

The Brown One
01-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Did you know certain sodas are used to clean rust off of nails and acid off of car batteries? Now just imagine what stuff that corrosive does when it is inside of your body. So, yeah. And if you're not getting stomach cancer from the Aspartame in the diet stuff, the sugars in the regular stuff are waging war on your teeth. Speaking of teeth: did you know that scientists now say that there is a direct correlation between dental health and the health of your heart? So, basically, if something is destroying your enamel (the main line of defense in your mouth) and tearing up your gums, you're also putting yourself at risk for a whole host of extremely serious non-dental related issues, too. And by the looks of what others have posted, I don't even need to get into the diabetes.

Also, soda doesn't have any real medicinal benefits, whereas marijuana has a ton.

I know about #1 yeah. #2 is news to me, and sounds unbelievable, but if theres proof, then its dangerous.

Rich Cranium
01-04-2011, 10:34 PM
I know about #1 yeah. #2 is news to me, and sounds unbelievable, but if theres proof, then its dangerous.

Yeah, I use a coke to clean corrosion of my batteries when needed and that is scary! I don't do pot but don't have issues with it either as I've never seen harm done by it except for eating junk food or being severely lazy!

Bodom
01-04-2011, 10:38 PM
I still swear by Cherry Coke Zero.

The Brown One
01-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I use a coke to clean corrosion of my batteries when needed and that is scary! I don't do pot but don't have issues with it either as I've never seen harm done by it except for eating junk food or being severely lazy!

Yeah pots fine if your'e not addicted. There are some real sick fucks here..it came on the news that dealers were standing at the gates of many highschools at break time, and were giving away free bags of it, so that they would get addicted and spend all of their money on it. And people here smoke marujuana/pot alot. We have the highest drug smoker per capita thing in the whole world.

Iron Ape
01-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Random, interesting fact #1: habitual marijuana users have been found to be at a significantly decreased risk for Alzheimer's and other degenerative neurological disorders.

Iron Ape
01-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Yeah pots fine if your'e not addicted. There are some real sick fucks here..it came on the news that dealers were standing at the gates of many highschools at break time, and were giving away free bags of it, so that they would get addicted and spend all of their money on it. And people here smoke marujuana/pot alot. We have the highest drug smoker per capita thing in the whole world.

Pot can be habit-forming, but you can't become chemically dependant upon it (meaning that it's not addictive).

Robstar
11-26-2012, 03:43 AM
Pot can be habit-forming, but you can't become chemically dependant upon it (meaning that it's not addictive).

I dispute the fact that it's not addictive. If you are mentally or psychologically dependent on some substance, in my experience that's the same thing. It's still addiction and while not physical, it can bring on physical side effects. The power of the mind and all that

Robstar
11-26-2012, 03:45 AM
Random, interesting fact #1: habitual marijuana users have been found to be at a significantly decreased risk for Alzheimer's and other degenerative neurological disorders.

That's because they couldn't establish whether it was the Alzheimers or the pot that caused the massive memory loss and delusions! HA! ;)