PDA

View Full Version : Top 50 wrestler's in the world!

Kashdinero
12-17-2010, 07:08 AM
Powerslam magazine has published their yearly top 50.

Here is the opening monologue.

"For the seventeenth year, Power Slam presents The PS 50, the list of the best-performing wrestlers in the industry. As ever, rankings In The PS 50 are based on grapplers' in-ring showings over a 12-month period (December 1, 2009 to November 30; 2010). Here is the 50..."

This is the quick version

50. Jack Swagger (WWE; Last year placed NL)
49. Jeff Hardy (TNA; lyp 10)
48. Max Buck (TNA; lyp 48)
47. Edge (WWE; lyp 23)
46. Shawn Michaels (WWE; lyp 38)
45. Jeremy Buck (TNA; lyp 46)
44. C.M Punk (WWE; lyp 6)
43. Eddie Edwards (Independent; lyp 32)
42. The Miz (WWE; lyp 49)
41. Sheamus (WWE; lyp NL)
40. Jay Briscoe (Independent; lyp NL)
39. Kaz Hayashi (AJPW; lyp 29)
38. James Storm (TNA; lyp 38)
37. Roderick Strong (Independent; lyp NL)
36. Mark Briscoe (Independent; lyp NL)
35. Togo Makabe (NJPW; lyp NL)
34. Robert Roode (TNA; lyp NL)
33. Satoshi Kojima (Independent; lyp NL)
32. Yamoto (Dragon Gate; lyp NL)
31. Kenny Omega (Independent; lyp NL)
30. Kevin Steen (Independent; lyp NL)
29. Christian (WWE; lyp 20)
28. Daisuke Sekimoto (Independent; lyp NL)
27. Claudio Castagnoli (Independent; lyp NL)
26. Daniel Bryan (WWE; lyp 8)
25. PAC (Dragon Gate; lyp 44)
24. Chris Hero (Independent; lyp NL)
23. Chris Jericho (Independent; lyp 18)
22. Naruki Doi (Dragon Gate; lyp 14)
21. El Generico (Independent; lyp NL)
20. KENTA (NOAH; lyp 2)
19. Randy Orton (WWE; lyp 7)
18. Kota Ibushi (Independent; lyp 12)
17. A.J. Styles (TNA; lyp 5)
16. BXB Hulk (Dragon Gate; lyp 22)
15. Rey Mysterio (WWE; lyp 1)
14. Hirooki Goto (NJPW; lyp 17)
13. CIMA (Dragon Gate; lyp 27)
12. Shinsuke Nakamura (NJPW; lyp 25)
11. Alex Shelley (TNA; lyp 37)
10. Seth Rollins (WWE; lyp 42)
9. Chris Sabin (TNA; lyp 35)
8. Naomichi Marifuji (NOAH; lyp NL)
7. Go Shiozaku (NOAH; lyp 24)
6. Shingo Takagi (Dragon Gate; lyp 21)
5. Takashi Suguira (NOAH; lyp 11)
4. Prince Devitt (NJPW; lyp 33)
3. Hiroshi Tanahashi (NJPW; lyp 3)
2. Davey Richards (Independent; lyp 4)
1. Kurt Angle (TNA; lyp 9)

Having seen most of these guys wrestle this year and judging by the criteria set, I'd say this was a fairly thought out list and I pretty much agree with most of the standings.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this. Remember it's based on in-ring performances this year not who is the better overall wrestler.

Bodom
12-17-2010, 08:53 AM
Seth Rollins doesn't belong on this list. But Tyler Black sure as hell does and Jeff Hardy should be nowhere near this list. And Miz ranked higher than CM Punk and Eddie Edwards? Even I wouldn't do that.

Kashdinero
12-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Seth Rollins doesn't belong on this list. But Tyler Black sure as hell does and Jeff Hardy should be nowhere near this list. And Miz ranked higher than CM Punk and Eddie Edwards? Even I wouldn't do that.

That was a bit of a shocker for me too. Punk has had a bit of an erratic year though. Eddie should of been above Miz and Sheamus IMO.

Necroyeti
12-17-2010, 09:21 AM
I'm quite alright with this list. I guess I should brush up on my NJPW guys though.

Giant LOL at Seth Rollins being the highest ranked wrestler in WWE when he hasn't even properly debuted in WWE yet.

Jeff Hardy and DBD have taken a fair plunge down the ranks this year (:cool: and :(, respectively)

Randy Orton kinda sticks out like a sore thumb, suppose he gets some fair pops though

Bodom
12-17-2010, 09:23 AM
That was a bit of a shocker for me too. Punk has had a bit of an erratic year though. Eddie should of been above Miz and Sheamus IMO.

Holy hell I didn't even notice Sheamus was on there. And no Kofi Kingston or Dolph Ziggler or Douglas Williams?

And Randy Orton shouldn't be ranked as high as he is or at least not above Chris Hero and Daniel fucking Bryan.

Bodom
12-17-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm quite alright with this list. I guess I should brush up on my NJPW guys though.

Giant LOL at Seth Rollins being the highest ranked wrestler in WWE when he hasn't even properly debuted in WWE yet.

Jeff Hardy and DBD have taken a fair plunge down the ranks this year (:cool: and :(, respectively)

Randy Orton kinda sticks out like a sore thumb, suppose he gets some fair pops though

But what's the criteria for this list? Pure ring work? Charisma and Mic Skills? Both?

Necroyeti
12-17-2010, 04:14 PM
But what's the criteria for this list? Pure ring work? Charisma and Mic Skills? Both?
Y'see, I don't really think Randy Orton scores well in any of those things. He doesn't do many moves and is generally pretty dull, but at least he does those few moves really well and alot of people seem to dig him.

It's probably the most well rounded list I've seen..... But in a way, you could easily stick Cena somewhere in the top 10 and rename it "Top 50 booked wrestlers in the world" and it would remain pretty plausible.

Kashdinero
12-17-2010, 04:49 PM
The list is based on in-ring work, night in night out for the year not just a few choice matches. I'm sure Punks feud with The Big Show did him no favours, his feud with Rey is spoken of very highly though. If you look at his Last Year Placed you'll see he was 6. Compared to last year, this year has certainly been a bit of a lousy one for him in regards to consistiently putting on solid matches.
How a wrestler is booked definitely plays a part in choosing this list as a wrestler can only do what he's asked to do. But where Cena has been booked strongly all year his performances always leave a lot to be desired. Where as Randy, who has also been booked strongly, has put on one solid match after the next, he's not great but his understanding of things like psychology are very good. It's not always all about flashy moves and sequences. Delivering in high profile matches for their respective company would be a plus for a wrestler as well.
I'm sure all round Improvement play's a factor in the descision making as well. But mic skills definitely do not!

On their own the WWE standings are

From last to first

Swagger
Edge
Michaels
Punk
Miz
Sheamus
Christian
Bryan
Jericho
Randy
Rey
Seth Rollins (lol)

Based on the criteria it's kind of hard to argue with that. But compared with the rest of the world it hasn't been a great year for WWE has it?

If you want me to I'll let you know exactly what was wrote about certain performers of your choice.

Necroyeti
12-17-2010, 05:15 PM
That was an A+ post. They certainly seem to have better criteria than the PWI 500 or any internet list I've seen anyway.

I'm kinda curious about the Hiroshi Tanahashi write-up if you can be arsed typing it out. I'm unfamiliar with his work.

Kashdinero
12-17-2010, 05:38 PM
3. Hiroshi Tanahash;

Downed former WWE under-carder Tajiri in their feud ending collision in December 5..... Beat NOAH's Go Shiozaki with his High Fly Flow frog splash in a 19:04 interpromorional thriller at the Tokyo dome on January 4.... Had some of his beloved hair cut off by Toru Yano on February 14... Was upset by Yano at Wrestling Dontaku on May 3 in Fukuoka... Exacting Revenge, beat Yano in a Hair Vs Hair match on NJPW's superb Dominion event on June 19... In the Grade One Climax series in august, came back from losses to Karl Anderson and Prince Devitt to defeat Manabu Nakanishi, Yano and Togi Makabe to place in the final where he fell to Satoshi Kojima in a scorching final... Beat Tetsuya Naito in a highly competitive thriller on October 11... Forth consecutive top ten appearance for New Japan's leading box office attraction.

Necroyeti
12-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Thanks, much appreciated.

Always wanted to hunt down some NJPW G1 Climax events, but it seems like a rather large time commitment.

Rich Cranium
12-17-2010, 05:47 PM
lol, Davey Richards at no. 2!

Kashdinero
12-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Thanks, much appreciated.

Always wanted to hunt down some NJPW G1 Climax events, but it seems like a rather large time commitment.

It is a huge collection of great matches each year, much like the best of Juniors series. To watch them all would take ages! The matches that have been pointed out are well worth watching.

As for the list itself. I await it every december, it's usually bang on the money. Power Slam Magazine is respected for it's brutal honesty throughout the industry and The PS 50 holds far more weight than the Kayfabe filled PWI Top 500. Also in the magazine is a brutally frank interview with Paul London, who if you've never seen any of his shoot's, has no problem with speaking about his former employer's.

This issue is still on sale and you could probably pick it up at your local W.H. Smiths!

Kashdinero
12-17-2010, 05:58 PM
lol, Davey Richards at no. 2!

Davey has had fantasic matches across America and Japan this year. Some might say he could have been placed 1st!

His match with Kota Ibushi at EVOLVE 1 was wrestling at it's purest and was probably my favourite match of the year.

Necroyeti
12-17-2010, 06:22 PM
You've piqued my interest in that mag like. I probably won't be able to get hold of a copy anytime soon since I stay in the middle of nowhere, but I'll definitely be keeping it in mind next time I venture into the city though.

Kashdinero
12-17-2010, 06:45 PM
If you were wondering the list was compiled by Fin Martin (PS editor), Oliver Hurley, Mo Chatra, Greg Lambert and a couple other's. I'm on my way to work right now so I don't have the mag with me but those I mentioned are at the top of their chosen profession in the UK.

IrkenInvader
12-17-2010, 11:17 PM
Chris Jericho.

Bodom
12-17-2010, 11:21 PM
Chris Jericho.

Is totally on the list.

Bodom
12-17-2010, 11:46 PM
This list needs YOSHIHIKO

Kashdinero
12-18-2010, 12:57 AM
This list needs YOSHIHIKO

In that case might as well throw in Hornswoggle and the cardboard cutout of the Rock as well!

Young Guns
01-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Chris Jericho.

23. Chris Jericho. And I quote... "Celebrated Unified tag team title reign with Big Show ended in the main event of TLC when they lost to HHH and Shawn Michaels in a TLC match... Was arrested for public intoxication on January 27 following a 5:00am skirmish with Gregory Helms in a taxi which cost Helms his job with WWE... Was essentially handed the World title by Shawn Michaels after Michaels sneaked into the Elimination Chambers and superkicked The Undertaker on February 21... Series with Edge, which included bouts at WrestleMania and Extreme Rules, was anticlimactic... Was demoted after WWE realised he intended to leave the company when his contract expired in September... Team player dutifully cleanly to Evan Bourne at Fatal 4 Way on June 20 in a result which was meant to place Bourne on the path to stardom, but amounted to nothing when WWE lost interest in Bourne weeks later... Was booted from the Six-Pack elimination match at Night Of Champions in just 1:28... Put John Morrison over in a decent match on the September 20 Raw... Was Punted by Randy Orton following his disqualification loss on September 27 to explain his exit from the company... Is expected back in time for WrestleMania XXVII."

Kashdinero
01-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Well done sir.

What did you think of the list?

Young Guns
01-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Well done sir.

What did you think of the list?

Davey Richards should be number one, Kurt has had a fantastic year but Davey hasn't stop this year, he has continued to put on outstanding matches all year long, while Kurt, I know this is bit of a shot, had to nurse his old neck injury and that is what I feel separates them. I feel that Jeff Hardy shouldn't be on the list. I don't understand why tag team, like MCMG, Beer Money and Generation Me, are rated separately, I know Kings of Wrestling, Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli, they did a bit of single wrestling, but what has Chris Sabin done this year that was so special for him to put at number eight on the list while Alex Shelley is at number 11? Btw, I love MCMG, I wasn't being an ass.

Kashdinero
01-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Davey Richards should be number one, Kurt has had a fantastic year but Davey hasn't stop this year, he has continued to put on outstanding matches all year long, while Kurt, I know this is bit of a shot, had to nurse his old neck injury and that is what I feel separates them. I feel that Jeff Hardy shouldn't be on the list. I don't understand why tag team, like MCMG, Beer Money and Generation Me, are rated separately, I know Kings of Wrestling, Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli, they did a bit of single wrestling, but what has Chris Sabin done this year that was so special for him to put at number eight on the list while Alex Shelley is at number 11? Btw, I love MCMG, I wasn't being an ass.

Hey dude. I've been reading The Top 50 for 10 years and it's been spot on each year.

Kurt and Davey could have gone either way... Kurt did wonders with the material that he was given. Richards body of work this year should have grabbed him the number one spot this year, but I've no problems with Kurt propping up the list.

As for the tag team's being rated individually, it's the way they've always done it. The rankings aren't based on singles matches, the fantastic tag matches that BM, GM and MCMG were taken in to account. Chris Sabin is the embodiment of the modern wrestler and more than deserves his position on the card.

As for Jeff being there. It surprised me too. I suppose his epic match with Angle was enough to justify his placement.

How did you feel about Randys position? I thought it was justified, he worked hard this year.

The Brown One
01-01-2011, 08:13 PM
KD please tell me, why is Rey #2?

Give me the accomplishments, and your personal opinion.

Kashdinero
01-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Rey was 2nd out of the wrestler's currently under contract to WWE. His overall placing was 15 (he was number one last year)

Here's the write up for him

15. Rey Mysterio

Still hasn't had the major knee operation he required one year ago due to his famously high pain threshold and, presumably, a sense of duty to WWE, which has so few other topline stars.... Matches with the Undertaker on December 25 and at Royal Rumble, where Mysterio busted Takers nose, were enjoyable.... Feud with CM Punk was one of WWE's best of 2010... On Pay Per View, beat Punk at Wrestlemania, lost to him in a superior rematch at Extreme Rules on April 25, and defeated him again at Over the Limit on May 23 to earn the right to shave Punk's head... Was forced to postpone a vacation and replace The Undertaker in main events after he accidentally broke Takers nose and orbital bone in a match on May 25... Pinned Jack Swagger in a Fatal Four Way match on June 20 to win his second World Title... Lost the gold four weeks later when Kane cashed in his MITB title shot... Was confronted by Alberto Del Rio in a memorable segment on the August 20 Smackdown and beaten by him that night and supposedly injured the next week to excuse him from television so he could take his previously scheduled holiday... Beat Del Rio in a good grudge match on the October 8 Smackdown... After eight years in WWE, we have to ask; what else is there left for Mysterio to do, except turn heel?

My thoughts on him being, basically, the Number One guy in WWE this year?

It's kind of hard to argue. It's been a great year in the ring for Rey.

But

Rey is no longer one of the wrestler's I pay much attention to. He's awesome, and has been for so long, but unfortunately I've seen it all(well, most of it) before.... Now that heel turn, that was mentioned in the write up, would be something to make me pay attention.

The Brown One
01-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Ah thankyou. I guess in terms of wrestling, and storylines, hes been doing them quite well, apart from the injuries. Bryan and Ziggler would be my #1 in terms of wrestling ability, but they didn't always have long matches on SD and Raw, and weren't put into the main event storylines.

Kashdinero
01-02-2011, 12:21 AM
Ah thankyou. I guess in terms of wrestling, and storylines, hes been doing them quite well, apart from the injuries. Bryan and Ziggler would be my #1 in terms of wrestling ability, but they didn't always have long matches on SD and Raw, and weren't put into the main event storylines.

Reys overal position (15) just goes to show how bad WWE has been in 2010, compared to 2009.... Fingers crossed for them in 2011... I believe with the talent they have WWE should have a good year, wrestling wise.

The Brown One
01-02-2011, 12:25 AM
Reys overal position (15) just goes to show how bad WWE has been in 2010, compared to 2009.... Fingers crossed for them in 2011... I believe with the talent they have WWE should have a good year, wrestling wise.

Yeah they should focus more on the midcard talent, and eliminate some of the promos, interviews and comedy segments that are just stupid. I'd love to see more wrestling matches from the likes of Bryan, Kidd, Ziggler, Kingston, Rhodes for sure, Drew(if they give him a push again), Ted(see Drew) and definitely Swagger should be getting the spotlight for a while.

Kashdinero
01-02-2011, 12:40 AM
Yeah they should focus more on the midcard talent, and eliminate some of the promos, interviews and comedy segments that are just stupid. I'd love to see more wrestling matches from the likes of Bryan, Kidd, Ziggler, Kingston, Rhodes for sure, Drew(if they give him a push again), Ted(see Drew) and definitely Swagger should be getting the spotlight for a while.

The names you mentioned are hopefully the future.

Throw in a bit of Rollins, Punk and Bryan and we've got a party.

Young Guns
01-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Hey dude. I've been reading The Top 50 for 10 years and it's been spot on each year.

Kurt and Davey could have gone either way... Kurt did wonders with the material that he was given. Richards body of work this year should have grabbed him the number one spot this year, but I've no problems with Kurt propping up the list.

As for the tag team's being rated individually, it's the way they've always done it. The rankings aren't based on singles matches, the fantastic tag matches that BM, GM and MCMG were taken in to account. Chris Sabin is the embodiment of the modern wrestler and more than deserves his position on the card.

As for Jeff being there. It surprised me too. I suppose his epic match with Angle was enough to justify his placement.

How did you feel about Randys position? I thought it was justified, he worked hard this year.

I couldn't care you who was number one, both deserved it. To be honest, most of the guys deserved to be where they are. I would have went tits IF Cena was on it, I don't hate Cena, he just hasn't had good year. I feel Orton would been higher on the list if he wasn't involved with Nexus/Cena storyline, it really hurt his title run. If Jeff deserved to be on The PS 50 list for one great match, why isn't Undertaker on the list?

Kashdinero
01-02-2011, 01:38 PM
I couldn't care you who was number one, both deserved it. To be honest, most of the guys deserved to be where they are. I would have went tits IF Cena was on it, I don't hate Cena, he just hasn't had good year. I feel Orton would been higher on the list if he wasn't involved with Nexus/Cena storyline, it really hurt his title run. If Jeff deserved to be on The PS 50 list for one great match, why isn't Undertaker on the list?

Thats a good point about Undertaker, but barring that Epic Match with Michaels, I don't think Taker has had that great of a year. Jeff has had couple of fairly decent matches (as pointed out in his write up) in TNA.... I'm not really a Jeff (or Taker for that matter) fan so its kinda hard for me personally to justify his positioning. I would say that he's had a better year in the ring than Taker though.

Cena's lame punches alone are enough to keep him off the list. He'd have to have a really good year, by his standards, to even be considered for placement, which he hasnt.

Young Guns
01-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Thats a good point about Undertaker, but barring that Epic Match with Michaels, I don't think Taker has had that great of a year. Jeff has had couple of fairly decent matches (as pointed out in his write up) in TNA.... I'm not really a Jeff (or Taker for that matter) fan so its kinda hard for me personally to justify his positioning. I would say that he's had a better year in the ring than Taker though.

Cena's lame punches alone are enough to keep him off the list. He'd have to have a really good year, by his standards, to even be considered for placement, which he hasnt.

Taker has had a really bad year, up to WrestleMania he was having a pretty decent year. Everything after that (his three matches with Kane) has been pretty poor, but he can't help it, he has injured. But I feel that guys like Douglas Williams, Desmond Wolfe, Jay Lethal, John Morrison, Dolph Ziggler and Christopher Daniels, all have worked harder than him. I don't like Hardy, if you can't stand Hardy. Cena can bring it, he has not done it this year. Had you feel about Jack Swagger being on the list? I like Swagger, but I was surpised to find him on it.

Kashdinero
01-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Taker has had a really bad year, up to WrestleMania he was having a pretty decent year. Everything after that (his three matches with Kane) has been pretty poor, but he can't help it, he has injured. But I feel that guys like Douglas Williams, Desmond Wolfe, Jay Lethal, John Morrison, Dolph Ziggler and Christopher Daniels, all have worked harder than him. I don't like Hardy, if you can't stand Hardy. Cena can bring it, he has not done it this year. Had you feel about Jack Swagger being on the list? I like Swagger, but I was surpised to find him on it.

Swagger probably made it due to his title run which had a few high profile matches, in which he did alright in my opinion.

As for Cena being able to bring it. I agree that when he's in the big matches he invariably puts on a decent showing, 2006 being a prime example of this, but his matches are mostly predictable snoozefests and his offense is "offensive" at times.

Hopefully with the right booking guys like Daniels, Kofi and Morrison will be back on the list.

Young Guns
01-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Swagger probably made it due to his title run which had a few high profile matches, in which he did alright in my opinion.

As for Cena being able to bring it. I agree that when he's in the big matches he invariably puts on a decent showing, 2006 being a prime example of this, but his matches are mostly predictable snoozefests and his offense is "offensive" at times.

Hopefully with the right booking guys like Daniels, Kofi and Morrison will be back on the list.

I totally agree but it just took me by surprise that he only made it in at 50, at least he is on the list. I think Daniels and Morrison has a big year ahead of them, I hope...

Kashdinero
01-02-2011, 05:15 PM
I totally agree but it just took me by surprise that he only made it in at 50, at least he is on the list. I think Daniels and Morrison has a big year ahead of them, I hope...

On the world stage, the quality of wrestling has been a lot better than what the WWE brings to the table. Taking that in to account I think he's lucky to have even been on there. Especially after his stinkers with the "albatross" that is The Big Show.

WWE really dropped the ball on most of the new talent they tried to push this year. Kofi should have been someone big by now, last year he was well on his way, but I suppose his run in with Randy late 2009 did him no favours.

If Daniels, and Homicide for that matter, remain with ROH they should make the grade again.

I'd love to see Williams and Wolfe return as well, but with TNA's erratic booking (especially with Wolfe) you never know what's in store.