PDA

View Full Version : TNA is in war again, with an indy promotion...

Rassling_Fan
12-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Source. (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/539525-choosing-sides-ohio-based-aiw-takes-the-fight-to-tna)

Less than a year after declaring war against World Wrestling Entertainment, the professional wrestling industry's second-string quarterback Total Nonstop Action Wrestling now finds itself immersed in another battle.

This time, however, TNA is riding in the front seat, representing the bigger soldier in the war.

At least it seems that way.

Apparently TNA President Dixie Carter and her compatriots, possibly including nominees for "2010 Company Killers of the Year" Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff, have finally started listening to the complaints and criticisms of fans, critics and even homegrown stars that the company needs to develop new stars rather than relying on WWE midcard castaways.

While this may seem like good news for TNA fans—and those who so desperately want an alternative to WWE programming—this decision has begun to wreak havoc on the American independent scene.

One company, Ohio-based Absolute Intense Wrestling, isn't taking TNA's new approach laying down.

Apparently several of that promotion's top stars have been offered TNA contracts in recent weeks. The promoter, or at least the person who manages the company's Facebook page, has been launching a string of written attacks against the company for this raid, and even called the performers who have accepted the deals "sell outs."

Some people have called out the promotion on the fact it has heavily promoted four of its alumni, and those four have gone on to appear in WWE to varying degrees of success.

These men include NXT Season One contestant Michael Tarver, Daniel Bryan (who appeared at AIW shows during his "release" period from WWE), Kaval and NXT Season Four rookie Derrick Bateman.

But AIW officials had their response ready to share on Facebook. In a status comment, they posted the following (with grammar corrected):

"TNA is not advancing a career. Have you watched their product? MULTIPLE guys on our roster and staff have been offered deals in the last week, so you can understand our frustrations."

"If it was WWE, we would be in full support. That is a life-changing opportunity. TNA is just a move in a lateral direction, going from being part of a rapidly growing company to whatever TNA is—a wasteland of fedjects."

Some details remain to be seen, including who the now-TNA contracted wrestlers are, and just how much of the AIW rantings and ravings are at work. But one thing is for certain, this small Ohio promotion has brought some additional attention to itself, just in time for its final show of the year, Nightmare Before X-Mas 4.

It's one thing for wrestling fans to say TNA sucks. It's another for a minor circuit organization to think it's not even a step up.

The Brown One
12-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Source. (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/539525-choosing-sides-ohio-based-aiw-takes-the-fight-to-tna)

It's one thing for wrestling fans to say TNA sucks. It's another for a minor circuit organization to think it's not even a step up.

Its true what AIW says about TNA, being full of WWE midcarders etc. But I agree with your last statement, that TNA is a step up from that indy promotion. Its small but given its size its 2nd best in the world. NO indy promotion could get that high so give props where props are due.

wallyman
12-09-2010, 03:36 PM
this promotion is just mad bcuz tna is taking their talent lol...i would 2...but hey its a business

SilverGhost
12-09-2010, 03:39 PM
this promotion is just mad bcuz tna is taking their talent lol...i would 2...but hey its a business

You haven't read anything of it.

They are mad because TNA is taking their talent AND NOT PROPERLY USING THEM.

Rich Cranium
12-09-2010, 03:40 PM
I like the "2010 nominees for company killers of the year, Hogan and Bischoff" bit. Gold!

SilverGhost
12-09-2010, 03:42 PM
I like the "2010 nominees for company killers of the year, Hogan and Bischoff" bit. Gold!

I was like "Damn, someone went there!"

thejman93
12-09-2010, 03:47 PM
I was like "Damn, someone went there!"

Hey, you gotta call a spade a spade right?

SilverGhost
12-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Hey, you gotta call a spade a spade right?

True.

But I would call BischHogan moronic egomaniacal ASS CLOWNS!

Rassling_Fan
12-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Its true what AIW says about TNA, being full of WWE midcarders etc. But I agree with your last statement, that TNA is a step up from that indy promotion.

My statement wasn't saying TNA is a step up. As the article said, they did ruin Rob Strauss with the Robbie E. gimmick. And how far up the ladder did Nigel McGuinness climb in TNA? Feud with Kurt Frikkin Angle, then failed to be part of Fourtune and having a losing streak, now awaiting his return to be in a tag team?

SilverGhost
12-09-2010, 03:56 PM
My statement wasn't saying TNA is a step up. As the article said, they did ruin Rob Strauss with the Robbie E. gimmick. And how far up the ladder did Nigel McGuinness climb in TNA? Feud with Kurt Frikkin Angle, then failed to be part of Fourtune and having a losing streak, now awaiting his return to be in a tag team?

That is really dumb by management.

Rich Cranium
12-09-2010, 04:03 PM
That really makes sense after ruining these guys that they would go all out Gregory Helms against TNA!

SilverGhost
12-09-2010, 04:11 PM
That really makes sense after ruining these guys that they would go all out Gregory Helms against TNA!

This is related to Shane Helms?

Rich Cranium
12-09-2010, 04:17 PM
This is related to Shane Helms?

No, but used his name as a term for attacking another entity.

Kashdinero
12-09-2010, 04:24 PM
No, but used his name as a term for attacking another entity.

TNA have been Gregory'd lol

I'm glad TNA are looking outside the box but I expect some stupid gimmicks to be added to these new stars upon their arrival at the impact zone.

jamesstrange
12-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Simple question: Why the hell recruit new stars if you can't use the world-class locker room they have effectively? They have great TNA originals and do you know what the main issue is with the ex-WWE guys? It more their getting pushed but their getting pushed because they are WWE guys and not great wrestlers. Re-invent the wrestlers like they did with the Pope and Mr Anderson to some degree, give them something new and exciting they can work with. I got know problem with ex-WWE guys coming in, its the way their presented and the way they use them that sucks the most.

SilverGhost
12-09-2010, 04:31 PM
TNA have been Gregory'd lol

I'm glad TNA are looking outside the box but I expect some stupid gimmicks to be added to these new stars upon their arrival at the impact zone.

WCW all over again. They made Mike Awesome look like a fool.

SilverGhost
12-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Simple question: Why the hell recruit new stars if you can't use the world-class locker room they have effectively? They have great TNA originals and do you know what the main issue is with the ex-WWE guys? It more their getting pushed but their getting pushed because they are WWE guys and not great wrestlers. Re-invent the wrestlers like they did with the Pope and Mr Anderson to some degree, give them something new and exciting they can work with. I got know problem with ex-WWE guys coming in, its the way their presented and the way they use them that sucks the most.

I don't have an issue getting ex-WWE guys but at least get the ones with talent and not just anybody. And TNA fails to give new guys a chance to shine now. I know that they did in the past but now I don't see any.

Kashdinero
12-09-2010, 04:36 PM
WCW all over again. They made Mike Awesome look like a fool.

I know! He started off with so much promise as well when he attacked Nash!!... Fat chick thriller anyone!?!?

SilverGhost
12-09-2010, 04:40 PM
I know! He started off with so much promise as well when he attacked Nash!!... Fat chick thriller anyone!?!?

I wouldn't be surprised that TNA now would bring that back.

TNA 2010=WCW if that happened. But then again....TNA is doing somethings like WCW.

thejman93
12-09-2010, 04:42 PM
I wouldn't be surprised that TNA now would bring that back.

TNA 2010=WCW if that happened. But then again....TNA is doing somethings like WCW.

Bound for Glory was supposed to be Bash at the Beach '96 all over again

SilverGhost
12-09-2010, 04:57 PM
The fact that TNA is acknowledging that they aren't really using their talents and using ex-WWE is FINALLY A GODDAM WAKE UP CALL!

They have to use their own talents.

Now getting rid of WCW like things in TNA is another issue.

Robstar
12-09-2010, 06:06 PM
True.

But I would call BischHogan moronic egomaniacal ASS CLOWNS!

Hey it caught on! (but it's BiscHogan Inc, ok?)

Like someone said, it's nice to hear it from an industry person. Company Killers.....*snigger*

shanethewolf
12-09-2010, 06:09 PM
At one time TNA used to raid the indies and ROH and brought in guys like Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Amazing Red, Austin Aries, Roderick Strong, Paul London...the list goes on. That's when TNA truly stood for Total Non-Stop Action and their tagline read "We are wrestling" and when they offered a show completely unlike WWE, something credible, exciting, mature and refreshing. It was a time when wrestlers loved working and had pride in their company.

Nothing of the sort can be said of the WWE and WCW tribute act we see today.

SilverGhost
12-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Hey it caught on! (but it's BiscHogan Inc, ok?)

Like someone said, it's nice to hear it from an industry person. Company Killers.....*snigger*

It has a ring to it man!

BiscHogan Inc

SilverGhost
12-09-2010, 06:13 PM
At one time TNA used to raid the indies and ROH and brought in guys like Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Amazing Red, Austin Aries, Roderick Strong, Paul London...the list goes on. That's when TNA truly stood for Total Non-Stop Action and their tagline read "We are wrestling" and when they offered a show completely unlike WWE, something credible, exciting, mature and refreshing. It was a time when wrestlers loved working and had pride in their company.

Thats what made TNA stand out back then and was a serious challenge to the WWE if they remained like that and made new guys in to stars.

Robstar
12-09-2010, 06:21 PM

This. This is truth!

Rich Cranium
12-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Indeed TNA went to hell with Bischoff and Hogan. Hell, I used to enjoy the 6 sided ring until these goofs got rid of it because Hogan cant figure out which side to use for his running or limping leg drop!

Robstar
12-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Pretty sure he just wheels over them in his chair now

TJHawkesybaby
12-09-2010, 06:45 PM

Amen to that!

Its depressing! I currently rading some old dvds ive got of TNA and it is just amazing the matches i dont htink there are bad bookings for like 5 yrs lol! Bad times indeed these days!

SilverGhost
12-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Indeed TNA went to hell with Bischoff and Hogan. Hell, I used to enjoy the 6 sided ring until these goofs got rid of it because Hogan cant figure out which side to use for his running or limping leg drop!

Hogan dropping the leg in the 6 sided ring would be funny to see.

Robstar
12-09-2010, 06:56 PM
It's not the legdrop that's an issue. It's his post match celebrations where he does the hand to his ear thing? After 4 sides he'd get confused. And with his back issues, posing to 6 sides might be a bit too much for his antique frame

SilverGhost
12-09-2010, 06:59 PM
It's not the legdrop that's an issue. It's his post match celebrations where he does the hand to his ear thing? After 4 sides he'd get confused. And with his back issues, posing to 6 sides might be a bit too much for his antique frame

LOL xD

Valid point

Rich Cranium
12-09-2010, 07:02 PM

Which is probably (used loosely) the reason for 4 sides since Flair is there and the other baggage brought in that may not have been able to adapt to 6 sides because it would simply downgrade their limited movesets.

Bodom
12-09-2010, 08:07 PM
At one time TNA used to raid the indies and ROH and brought in guys like Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Amazing Red, Austin Aries, Roderick Strong, Paul London...the list goes on. That's when TNA truly stood for Total Non-Stop Action and their tagline read "We are wrestling" and when they offered a show completely unlike WWE, something credible, exciting, mature and refreshing. It was a time when wrestlers loved working and had pride in their company..

Sigh.

This was the TNA that made me a fan of theirs.

SilverGhost
12-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Sigh.

This was the TNA that made me a fan of theirs.

I saw their product back then as well. I even told some of my friends that there was a wrestling company that was completely different because they used mostly skill. Not like WWE.

TNA had "it" to compete the WWE with just skill alone back then. Now its not even a match....

IrkenInvader
12-09-2010, 08:16 PM
I think the Bitchoff/Hogan reign just cemented TNA in place and they haven't grown since.

Bodom
12-09-2010, 08:18 PM
I think the Bitchoff/Hogan reign just cemented TNA in place and they haven't grown since.

They peaked January 4.

SilverGhost
12-09-2010, 08:24 PM
They peaked January 4.

I was expecting something really big on that date....

Bodom
12-09-2010, 08:27 PM
I was expecting something really big on that date....

Big?! But they had Jeff Hardy, Hulk Hogan, and Ric Flair debut!!

[/sarcasm]

Rich Cranium
12-09-2010, 08:41 PM
and now Jeff's court date has been delayed again until Jan 20th so this is a day of celebration for crackheads around the world or should I clarify and say around the Impact barn.

Robstar
12-09-2010, 08:44 PM
and now Jeff's court date has been delayed again until Jan 20th so this is a day of celebration for crackheads around the world or should I clarify and say around the Impact barn.

Woo hoo! Impact Barn caught on too! I am making a difference!

SilverGhost
12-09-2010, 09:11 PM
The Impact Barn!

Nice one!

Rich Cranium
12-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I had actually forgot where I read it until someone helped me remember, -coughRobstarcough-

IrkenInvader
12-09-2010, 09:30 PM
They peaked January 4.

So my ship date is the anniversary of the day TNA was diagnosed with cancer?

Bodom
12-09-2010, 09:30 PM

Im so sorry.

SevenCagedTigers
12-09-2010, 11:15 PM

Who cares if TNA isn't a step up from an indy promotion? TNA has a national audience and more exposure, it provides its talent with more visibility to the point where even WWE itself takes notice. Monty Brown, CM Punk, Chris Harris, Lance Hoyt are just some of the people who the WWE gave opportunities to after being seen on TNA. Even guys like Christian and Jeff Hardy revitalized their careers by being showcased as main eventers in TNA. You can't compare a small promotion no one has ever heard of to one that's televised, they should be happy their talent gets the opportunity to appear on national tv.

If they were at all intrepreneurial, they could go as far as having that be their gimmick, "This is where tomorrow's stars are made". I'm sure theres money to be made in "Before they were superstars" DVD's.

SilverGhost
12-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Who cares if TNA isn't a step up from an indy promotion? TNA has a national audience and more exposure, it provides its talent with more visibility to the point where even WWE itself takes notice. Monty Brown, CM Punk, Chris Harris, Lance Hoyt are just some of the people who the WWE gave opportunities to after being seen on TNA. Even guys like Christian and Jeff Hardy revitalized their careers by being showcased as main eventers in TNA. You can't compare a small promotion no one has ever heard of to one that's televised, they should be happy their talent gets the opportunity to appear on national tv.

If they were at all intrepreneurial, they could go as far as having that be their gimmick, "This is where tomorrow's stars are made". I'm sure theres money to be made in "Before they were superstars" DVD's.

I think you are missing the point. I think its more on the new guys given a big chance in TNA than the stars that were there.

SilverGhost
12-09-2010, 11:28 PM

Something else to hold on right?

Rassling_Fan
12-10-2010, 12:22 AM
CM Punk was only in TNA for about a year, during the whole "PPV Only Show" time. He was really found during Ring of Honor. And for Hardy and Christian, I wouldn't say revitalize their careers, more like given a chance to be in a spot they couldn't in the WWE. And too boot, Monty, Harris and Hoyt weren't that successful from their leap from TNA to WWE, and seeing something like that could ruin the rep of someone who was a big part of TNA, like AJ Styles. And finally...

I think you are missing the point. I think its more on the new guys given a big chance in TNA than the stars that were there.

AJ Styles, Nigel McGuinness, Samoa Joe, Amazing Red, they have plenty to fill a card if they just use them!

SilverGhost
12-10-2010, 01:09 AM
CM Punk was only in TNA for about a year, during the whole "PPV Only Show" time. He was really found during Ring of Honor. And for Hardy and Christian, I wouldn't say revitalize their careers, more like given a chance to be in a spot they couldn't in the WWE. And too boot, Monty, Harris and Hoyt weren't that successful from their leap from TNA to WWE, and seeing something like that could ruin the rep of someone who was a big part of TNA, like AJ Styles. And finally...

AJ Styles, Nigel McGuinness, Samoa Joe, Amazing Red, they have plenty to fill a card if they just use them!

I know they do. But the point of the indy promotion is that they aren't used properly thanks to ex-WWE guys that didn't make it. Or new stars not making it because TNA is pushing some stars.

The Brown One
12-10-2010, 02:14 AM

Thats true. But not all indy workers are like that right?

Rassling_Fan
12-11-2010, 08:30 PM
We have a casualty! (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/540771-no-mercy-for-tna-evaluating-tommy-mercers-aiw-defection-to-tna) (not a fatal kind).

Tommy Mercer from AIW was Amazing Red's "brother", who tapped after a few minutes to Jeff Jarrett...

So much for starting on the right foot...

EDIT: And Hogan says "It's Real?" HA! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkNZJtqHHbQ)

Bodom
12-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Oh that's nice. Bill him as the brother of someone that's never on TV.

SilverGhost
12-11-2010, 08:39 PM
TNA = +10 stupid points

Bodom
12-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Or leads to more Amazing Red on TV. Which can only hope is what will happen.