PDA

View Full Version : An Unfortunate End

TheBeardOfZeus
12-07-2010, 05:13 PM
I'm sorry if this has already been done, but what has been the most dissapointing thing you've seen happen in wrestling due to outside interferance (outside of kayfabe, like the media)?

I thought about this when looking up Muhammed Hassan, who supposedly was booked to win the World Heavyweight Championship before having been released by WWE due to media pressure over an incident on Smackdown that aired after the 7/7 bombings in London. He retired straight afterwards. I feel so sorry for the dude.

Necroyeti
12-07-2010, 05:41 PM
RVD dropping both the WWE and ECW championships in the space of two days because he and Sabu got busted with possessing pot.

RVD's WWE title reign was awesome and the possibilities were endless... instead it was a brief interlude in that really shitty 3 year period when Cena hogged the belt and only jobbed to Edge (never cleanly) and a pectoral muscle injury. The Big Show's ECW reign was somehow even worse.

Robstar
12-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Magnum T.A.'s car accident. There was a guy who could have changed the landscape of wrestling he was so popular. But then again, maybe not.

Rich Cranium
12-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Magnum T.A.'s car accident. There was a guy who could have changed the landscape of wrestling he was so popular. But then again, maybe not.

Darren Drozdov was an NFL player and a promising WWE talent who career was cut short by a botched wrestling move.

SilverGhost
12-07-2010, 05:50 PM
I liked the Muhammed Hassan character. They were on to something good there. But the media has such a powerful influence.....

IrkenInvader
12-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Jeff Hardy....

Robstar
12-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Darren Drozdov was an NFL player and a promising WWE talent who career was cut short by a botched wrestling move.

Was going to mention Droz - it was sad, I quite liked the guy but I don't think he'd be any sort of impact player

Rich Cranium
12-07-2010, 05:52 PM

I believe Magnum was set to eventually win the NWA title from Ric Flair.

Robstar
12-07-2010, 05:55 PM
I believe Magnum was set to eventually win the NWA title from Ric Flair.

I believe he could have been the guy to take NWA to the next level....but Watts would have made Magnum drop the title the customary 30-90 days later back to Flair

Rich Cranium
12-07-2010, 06:04 PM
And that would have possibly been his only reign since World titles weren't treated like whores back then!

Incubus_99
12-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Owen Hart...RIP!...

always wondered if he would be World Champ some day...

IrkenInvader
12-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Juan Cena I would of loved to seen him wrestle.

Robstar
12-07-2010, 06:11 PM
And that would have possibly been his only reign since World titles weren't treated like whores back then!

What do you mean "back then"? ;) WWF had the long reigning champs back them while NWA were passing their belt around like it was Missy Hyatt. Who also got passed around in NWA, lol. AWA also had long reigning champs - I used to hate it when the belt would be on one person for so long, it got boring

IrkenInvader
12-07-2010, 06:17 PM
What do you mean "back then"? ;) WWF had the long reigning champs back them while NWA were passing their belt around like it was Missy Hyatt. Who also got passed around in NWA, lol. AWA also had long reigning champs - I used to hate it when the belt would be on one person for so long, it got boring

I'm surprised we haven't seen a Missy Hyatt DVD. Loose: The Missy Hyatt Story.

IrkenInvader
12-07-2010, 06:19 PM
The EWN chat room.

johnadah
12-07-2010, 06:51 PM

This makes me assume that you're a bit of an older fella. I'm 24, and most guys my age and even a few years older don't even know who Magnum was. I grew up watching all the old videos that my family had and the internet age made it so much easier to do that as well. Magnum was World Championship material. I don't think you're at all incorrect in stating that he could have changed the landscape of wrestling. He was bound for it. He was a great talent in the ring, and he knew how to work an audience. The issue with that is that the audience wanted to be worked when he was around. You know you're a great draw when the crowd is practically begging to mark out to you.

Ruggy
12-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Kerry Von Erich would have been immense. Also Brian Pillman

Jaws
12-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Brian Pillman

^^^^^this.

jcagosto
12-07-2010, 09:14 PM
...unfortunate end? Benoit??

MinistryOfDarkness
12-07-2010, 09:22 PM
I don't know if anyone considers this 'unfortunate' or not but I always believed and still believe that 'Mr. Perfect' Curt Hennig was the greatest talent to never hold the WWF Championship. A guy who was super over so early in his career only to be shadowed by spotlight hogs like Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, and Randy Savage.

Bodom
12-07-2010, 09:25 PM
I don't know if anyone considers this 'unfortunate' or not but I always believed and still believe that 'Mr. Perfect' Curt Hennig was the greatest talent to never hold the WWF Championship. A guy who was super over so early in his career only to be shadowed by spotlight hogs like Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, and Randy Savage.

He had an amazing run as AWA World Champion though. But I agree. A WWF Champion run would have been great.

The Brown One
12-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Owen Hart...RIP!...

always wondered if he would be World Champ some day...

Owen Hart becoming a WWF champion would have been awesome. I still miss him he was a great wrestler

nrb6304
12-07-2010, 11:05 PM
Magnum T.A WAS destined for greatness, that man was so good in the ring, just from the tapes I've seen he was the sh*&, and probably would've been a great wrestler.
And I think it's funny that Ric Flair was the ORGINAL John Cena, but nobody complains. If you look back at the history, he dropped it and then regained it like a MILLION times. From 81 to 91 the NWA title went from Flair to somebody else back to Flair.
As much as I loved Owen Hart, Hart was past his prime when he passed away, and I think that ANY chance of him winning the WWF Title was gone. He would'be ended up up like William Regal. :(

I think the biggest Unfortante End was the death of the orginal ECW. GRANTED, when it did fold it was beyond it's prime days, but I used to love watching it on TNN.

tittle97
12-09-2010, 11:38 AM
RVD dropping both the WWE and ECW championships in the space of two days because he and Sabu got busted with possessing pot.

RVD's WWE title reign was awesome and the possibilities were endless... instead it was a brief interlude in that really shitty 3 year period when Cena hogged the belt and only jobbed to Edge (never cleanly) and a pectoral muscle injury. The Big Show's ECW reign was somehow even worse.
This was the first thing I thought of. I was pissed when I found out they got busted. I didn't think Vince would have dropped the hammer on them as hard as he did, considering he covers for the steroid/soma/painkiller use of almost everyone.....

AngrySamoan
12-10-2010, 09:14 AM
The Whole Von Erich Family. Just so damn sad to see.