PDA

View Full Version : Saving The Tag Division

joe157
12-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Firstly, sorry if there is alreay a thread on this!

I was just reading through this http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/community/showthread.php?3060-Santino-and-Koslov thread.

Basically there are NO decent tag teams any more and I was wondering how you would improve it?

Years ago there were GREAT tag teams. Back when I was young the main tag teams were...

The Heart Foundation - being family added to the storylines, stood out with their ring wear and had a combo of power & teqnique.

Road Warriors/Legion of Doom - big powerfull guys, had attitude and cool memorable entrance wear.

Brittish Bulldogs - power and style again

Demolition - big dudes with painted faces went well around the L.O.D times

The Natural Disasters - Huuuuuge guys, dont seem to see many of their kind nowerdays

Etc etc (obviously not all but they are the ones that sprang to mind as I wrote this- The Headbangers being the obvious exclusion :p`)

Looking at the rosters now, who would you team up? Any gimmicks or storylines you would like to see?

TheBeardOfZeus
12-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Like i've said in the other thread, i feel as if giving the titles Santino/Koslov is not a bad idea, and could be a good catalyst to reinventing the division.

I thought about this and i think a Big Zeke/Bourne team could be decent, as could a Goldust/Regal team and maybe a Kaval/Chavo. As heels, The Uso's could rebuild, Tyson Kidd with his new bodyguard, maybe a Rhodes/McIntyre again? I think they should've played on this one more

joe157
12-07-2010, 04:18 PM
I know what you mean, Zeke could be great in a tag team because of the impact he makes.

What ever happend to great managers? bring back Mr.Fuji ;)

Bodom
12-07-2010, 04:51 PM
I know what you mean, Zeke could be great in a tag team because of the impact he makes.

What ever happend to great managers? bring back Mr.Fuji ;)

Vince's concept that managers are old school is something I will never understand.

Does he simply forget how Heenan got people over? Or Cornette? What is old school about getting your current guys over so maybe people would pay good money to see them and care about them.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
12-07-2010, 04:51 PM
How about the Attitude Era Tag-Teams?

E and C, Hardyz, Dudleyz, APA, New Age Outlaws, Rock and Sock Connection, and even TnA was alright for a while. I think there could stand to be a maineventer in a tag-team now. Cena and Truth wouldn't be horrid, I like Slater and Gabriel, Santino and Kozlof are entertaining and over, Uso's are talented, a Legacy re-unite wouldn't be bad. I could probably think of more, but I think that should suffice for now.

Incubus_99
12-07-2010, 05:06 PM
what i posted on the santino/kozlov thread:

slap the titles on The Usos already...and let them have a long reign...have them beat random guys teaming together and point out the fact that there are no tag teams in the wwe who can lift these belts off them...make nxt season 5 on tag teams...and build up the friggin division...

what a dream!...

TheBeardOfZeus
12-07-2010, 05:29 PM

slap the titles on The Usos already...and let them have a long reign...have them beat random guys teaming together and point out the fact that there are no tag teams in the wwe who can lift these belts off them...make nxt season 5 on tag teams...and build up the friggin division...

what a dream!...

I like this season 5 NXT idea dude, kudos to you sir.

Daniel Bryan
12-07-2010, 05:30 PM

what a dream!...

i like it honestly

but for nxt 5 do you mean the rookies be tag teams or the rookie and pro to be a tag team

TJHawkesybaby
12-07-2010, 05:31 PM

what a dream!...

NXT shout is brilliant! HIGH 5!!!!

What about GodMoney though eh......? ;)!

Rich Cranium
12-07-2010, 05:35 PM
I thought NXT 3 was the death of the NXT deal but now there is NXT 4. For some reason I figured Tough Enough was the next platform for future superstars!

Incubus_99
12-07-2010, 05:36 PM
i like it honestly

but for nxt 5 do you mean the rookies be tag teams or the rookie and pro to be a tag team

both rookies to be a team...and they could have one pro...someone with tag team experience...with all these random teams being formed these days...i'm sure they can come up with 6 guys...:p...

Rich Cranium
12-07-2010, 05:38 PM
For some reason I thought Tough Enough was replacing NXT but now that we have NXT 4, yes an NXT 5 built on tag teams is a brilliant idea!

Daniel Bryan
12-07-2010, 05:39 PM
both rookies to be a team...and they could have one pro...someone with tag team experience...with all these random teams being formed these days...i'm sure they can come up with 6 guys...:p...

alright im game on it somebody get VKM on the phone now!!!!

Incubus_99
12-07-2010, 05:51 PM
alright im game on it somebody get VKM on the phone now!!!!

hes in a coma!...:p...

Tommy Thunder
12-07-2010, 06:22 PM
TNA has a decent tag division. The MCMG's, BMI, Gen Me, and Ink Inc are all very good tag teams.

WWE's tag division however as we all know is in the worst shape it has ever been. Here are my picks for tag teams to save WWE's division:

I say put Chavo in a tag team with someone. He has experience in the tag division, and is a great wrestler who's talent is wasted on 'Superstars', and dressing up as the Swagger Soaring Eagle!! I'm pitching Primo Colon's name to tag with Chavo. He is also an experienced tag competitor, and is very talented (again wasted as a jobber). They would fit together well as a heel latin-american team.

I'm also saying that WWE should put Zach Ryder and Curt Hawkins back together. Again, both have tag team experience together, and both are being wasted on 'Superstars' and jobbing. Again these guys would work as a good heel team.

FCW has a good tag team in the shape of Hunico and Epico (Tito Colon), known as Los Aviadores (The Aviators). Watch some of their matches on youtube, and it's obvious that they have talent. They are both excellent lucha libre superstars, and I can't really understand why WWE haven't brought them up to the main roster already.

I believe WWE should create a tag team with the indiy stars they have. A team consisting of Punk, Bryan, Kaval, and Tyler Black. Any combination from these 4, o'r even a stable would be awesome. All 4 are some of the best wrestlers around technically, and they would produce excellent matches for sure.

Finally, I wish WWE would re-hire Caylen Croft. The Dude-Busters were an excellent young tag team, and as good as Trent Barretta is, I can't see him getting past upper mid-card at best on his own. They had a bright future as a tag team, and I believe they should re-hire Croft.

Thoughts on these suggestions?!

On a side note, WWE should push the Usos properly and get the Hart Dynasty back together. The Usos were built up to be a good tag team, but they are doing nothing of any use at the moment. And the Hart Dynasty were the best tag team WWE had, ridiculous decision to split them up!!

Mr. McMahon
12-07-2010, 06:27 PM
what's there to save? The tag team division has been dead for years now. And don't give me that BS that it was decent in 2008... They had what like 6 teams in 2008? Even then most of them were jobbers, always got destroyed when facing a high carder and are never talked about, just forgotten tag teams. I can name some off my head:

Deuce/Domino
Cryme Time
Priceless
London/Kendrick
Jesse/Festus
Murdoch/Cade

There have been around 6-8 teams since 2005 ish, but most of them never made it or were jobbers. The tag team division has been pretty dead since 2005, sure it wasn't that noticeable back then but when compared to 2004 and 2003, you will notice.

Regal>Cena
12-07-2010, 07:01 PM
I'd maybe have Titus O'Neal and Percy Watson team together, I think they could work. I'd also like to see an updated version of the APA, I doubt they could have them swilling beer, smoking cigars and playing cards like the old APA, but for example if you put another "Big man" with Skip Sheffield, you could have a good team there too; maybe Big E Langston from FCW?

johnadah
12-07-2010, 07:13 PM
As I've mentioned in a previous thread, gimmick tag teams are a great way to increase interest in the tag division. Having a gimmick helps set a team apart. Guys like the Headbangers, L.O.D. Nation of Domination, Steiner Brothers, Harlem Heat, the Godwins, etc. Their was something that made them all stand out and made them a genuine tag team. That helps keep interest high.

The Brown One
12-07-2010, 08:04 PM
what's there to save? The tag team division has been dead for years now. And don't give me that BS that it was decent in 2008... They had what like 6 teams in 2008? Even then most of them were jobbers, always got destroyed when facing a high carder and are never talked about, just forgotten tag teams. I can name some off my head:

Deuce/Domino
Cryme Time
Priceless
London/Kendrick
Jesse/Festus
Murdoch/Cade

There have been around 6-8 teams since 2005 ish, but most of them never made it or were jobbers. The tag team division has been pretty dead since 2005, sure it wasn't that noticeable back then but when compared to 2004 and 2003, you will notice.

"Dead" maybe. But I actually liked Priceless they weren't bad. And London and Kendrick were damn entertaining, they were the MCMG of WWE.

himfandelux
12-07-2010, 11:18 PM
I've grown tired of seeing tag teams slapped together like Santino/Kozlov.

What the WWE needs is fresh faces. Bring in talents as strictly tag teams, and stop breaking them up so early! Brian Kendrick and Paul London were great, breaking them up pushed both into complete obscurity. Im afraid the same will happen with Smith and Kidd. Neither have developed that star ability to even be a mid-card talent yet. You're definately not going to see them winning the IC or US titles anytime soon.

I love the idea for NXT 5, all tag teams...problem is, they dont keep them all. Sure, you may get two new tag teams out of the deal, but thats it. Instead of bringing people in solo and trying to push them as "the next big thing" and then putting them into a tag team because they didnt pan out, why not just pair up some people in the territories and build some chemistry, then bring them up to the main roster?

What happened to the days of the Smoking Guns, LOD, British Bulldogs, R&R Express, etc? Or at least have a few major factions, like the Nation of Domination, The Corporation, Nexus, whatever...and push them against each other? It can't always be about the WWE title. But all the other championships are buried now-a-days. Its a long road ahead for the Tag division, and a bleak road for the WWE Title. Anybody else tired of seeing Cena win the title? 9 WWE Championships already...he's gonna pass Ric Flair, and he shouldn't.

You gotta use the mid-card belts to get guys over...not just slap people in the role, tear the titles away, and then push them into obscurity after 3 months cause they didnt work out. I think they people that post on this forum should be given some serious contention for the WWE creative team, cause i see a ton of good idea's all the time on here. Kinda makes you wonder what creative is doing anyway.....

joe157
12-08-2010, 05:09 AM
Just been looking at the RAW roster...

How would people feel about the two big guys in a team - Jackson and Henry? Two big guys powering through the devsion to the title before a heel team trying to beat them by cheating.

Maybe bring in a new star thats a bit of an oddball and team him with Goldust. Could make a good gimmick leading to promos and some differnt matches. I would really like to see a new kind of Mankind character (back in the day when he was a bit creepy in his brown outfit rather than the later kind of comedy Mankind)

The Brown One
12-08-2010, 05:51 AM
Just been looking at the RAW roster...

How would people feel about the two big guys in a team - Jackson and Henry? Two big guys powering through the devsion to the title before a heel team trying to beat them by cheating.

Maybe bring in a new star thats a bit of an oddball and team him with Goldust. Could make a good gimmick leading to promos and some differnt matches. I would really like to see a new kind of Mankind character (back in the day when he was a bit creepy in his brown outfit rather than the later kind of comedy Mankind)

The big guy team is a good idea since we haven't seen it in a while, but not with Henry, he puts me to sleep. Big Zekes fine by me. Theres something about him that keeps me from changing the channel

Incubus_99
12-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Zeke & Sheffield could make a great team...make them into a PG version of the Acolytes...

AwesomeLegendKiller
12-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Zeke & Sheffield could make a great team...make them into a PG version of the Acolytes...

pg version of the acolytes won't work because pg sucks...that's the biggest wwe problem right now!, if they don't end the pg era soon...Wwe will vanish...batista left because of pg,mysterio and edge will stay for 5 years max, undertaker will quit within the next 3 years and triple h won't last for another 8 years either...Wwe's time is over, good tag team division or not.