PDA

View Full Version : The American Badass & The Big Red Machine-- Name your fav gimmick

TheDevilsAdvocate
09-03-2010, 02:44 PM
We all know about The Undertakers famous gimmick that was well liked by a lot of people. The Motorcycles he rode, and the 'i wont put up with your shit' attitude that I always loved. IMO I miss this gimmick the most. The Deadman is cool an all but how long can an aging man hide underneath a ring or run out in the speed of light dodging camera flashes? As with the biker gimmick he just came down on his bike an had a ton of energy for his match. His promos were great, and he gave younger talent a chance. He didn't step over them one bit. Sure he lost a lot of matches, but he's also accomplished a lot with that gimmick, along with some historic wins. He was funny, charismatic, and made just about anyone have their hairs stand up on their arm by his sheer precense alone.

The Mask! The Big Red Machine! People always say he was funnier with the mask on. By all means I completely agree with you guys. Because, with the creative they could give him ANYTHING an it wouldn't hurt his credibility. We saw him as this monster who had a wicked sense of humor, and could go from insane to nice to funny to serious in one night an people wouldn't even arch an eyebrow at it. He held the IC belt, He was in the main event, mid card, opening event. He was everything a superstar could dream of an then one day he lost it all. Surely not at first because I enjoyed the whole raging monster thing, but over time it faded. The creative had nothing for him. They couldn't just stick him in a chuck-e cheese an have him win some tickets for a little kid. Nooo! xD An yes I know he got pushed again recently. But it just isn't the same.

I'm not sure if somebody else has posted something similar to this yet, but feel free to name your fav gimmicks guys.

DarkSide
09-03-2010, 02:48 PM
I loved Jake "The Snake" Roberts' gimmick.

Closely followed by Kurt Angle in a mini cowboy hat. (youtube it)

Belzova
09-03-2010, 02:48 PM
E&C!

Did ya know they could do wrestlers themes on a Kazoo!?!?!?! D:

Incubus_99
09-03-2010, 05:25 PM
u don see a lot of gimmicks these days...yeah sure u have the street type or the hip hop related stuff goin arnd...but gimmicks like Big Bossman (Cop), Duke the Dumpster Droese (Trash Man), The Godwinns (Pig Farmers), etc. is what you don't get to see these days...

The Pike
09-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Funny, at first I liked the American Badass thing but it got old quickly for me... and WWE makes a whole lot more money on the Undertaker gimmick. (Funny thing, a few months before 'Taker returned as the American Bad Ass I was in an E-Fed and had the Undertaker and what did I do? I made him a BIKER... I was writing that gimmick before it happened. I always wondered about that. I mean, I had him coming to the ring on a motorcycle, etc. I didn't use Kid Rock or Limp Bizkit though... I used Metallica but that was my choice. Pretty big coincidence because I thought I was coming out of left field with that one and got a lot of crap for it at the time. ...hmmm.)
As far as Kane goes... He is infinetely better off without the mask. His one title reign (less than 24 hours) was a job, really. He was never going to be a true main eventer. He WAS interesting but the shelf life on a character like that isn't very long. They HAD to change things up. Ask Glenn Jacobs what he thinks. He's won 16 championships...including all 3 "Company" titles (WWE,WCW,ECW.)

Mark Wither
09-04-2010, 08:27 AM
All the gimicks Undertaker and Kane have had suck. I have never liked the two of them best gimick of all time was the loose cannon Brian Pillman or stone cold steve austin.

Ruggy
09-04-2010, 09:41 AM
There has been some great gimmicks in the past. Mr Perfects one really suited Curt Hennig. The vingettes were supurbly produced. Jake The Snake could actually make you think he was staring at you through the TV.

As for Kane, loosing the mask was the worst idea. His auora of invincibility was gone.

DirtySteal
09-04-2010, 10:31 AM
As for Kane, loosing the mask was the worst idea. His auora of invincibility was gone.

Agreed.

My fave gimmicks are :

- Jerichos Gimmicks (all of his different characters and personalities)
- The Rock
- Husky Harries
- Eddie Gurrero
- CM Punk (Just before the SES formed)

Rangers_Chosen_Hun
09-04-2010, 10:46 AM
i liked taker ministry gimmick most out all of his because it is what his gimmick really is being from the darkside i was a kid at the time of it and i thought it was al real and i got into the gimmick alot

goldust and booker t's stuff was funny much better than the stuff santino has ever done lied when he did the steve irwin thing on raw when he went to the nwo's locker room some funny shit lol

AGEOFFALL
09-05-2010, 12:18 AM
E&C!

Did ya know they could do wrestlers themes on a Kazoo!?!?!?! D:

Agreed. 5 Sec Pose!!!!!!

DirtySteal
09-05-2010, 07:30 AM
I just watched some Angle/Austin promos and segments from the Invasion days, my goodness they are so funny! WWE just don't have segments like that anymore. Two amazing gimicks right there.

AGEOFFALL
09-05-2010, 11:00 PM
I just watched some Angle/Austin promos and segments from the Invasion days, my goodness they are so funny! WWE just don't have segments like that anymore. Two amazing gimicks right there.

Of course they don't. They don't have superstars with that kinda of talent.

IrkenInvader
09-06-2010, 10:03 PM
My favorite Jeff Hardy before they put him on the mic. He really sucks at cutting promos.
Santina/Santino
Rock and Sock
Randy Orton "The Viper." The RKO is perfect for this, its quick and he can srike any time he wants.

AGEOFFALL
09-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Edge's Rated R gimmick has really been hurt ever since wwe went pg.