PDA

View Full Version : What Keeps You Watching?

YellowBootlace
12-03-2010, 04:48 AM
I can't seem to figure this out. Granted, I am insanely new at this whole IWC deal, but all I've witnessed thus far are people bitching on forums (myself included) about all the things WWE/TNA are doing wrong.

Well, what are they doing RIGHT? What keeps us watching? We complain about the way story lines are written (rightfully so, imo) and yet we still watch it. It's not because "we're captivated" by the story or characters anymore, I think a lot of us just want to see what stupid thing they're going to pull out their asses this week....but even that isn't enough to keep us watching for the years that some of us have put in. Saying you're watching it for "the talent" is a stretch at this point, also. Sure, there are insanely talented guys on both companies roster but they're being held back or watered down for whatever reason.

I was a child in the 90's and I still remember how watching RAW would make me jump out of my seat. I don't know if that's because I was a little kid at the time, or if things were actually that much better, but it's a stark contrast to how bored I become watching it now. Between "Super Cena" and Flair freaking out and tossing his jacket off every week, I'm starting to realize that I just don't have the energy for this shit anymore. There are so many things wrong with both companies, it seems like no one over the age of 13 gets anything but frustration out of tuning in. So why do we?

Obviously there are adults who still legitimately enjoy watching wrestling, so please don't think I'm attacking you if you're one of them. As insulted as I may be with the story lines of both companies, I know that I'm not going to stop watching wrestling anytime soon.

I just don't know what prevents me from turning my back on it.
What's your reason?

Also, I posted this under WWE topics for the traffic even though the post concerns both TNA and WWE. My bad.

JohnnyPhantom
12-03-2010, 05:25 AM
Mmm, thats a good question. Based on an entertainment standpoint there are those people who make me tune in just to see there talents in and out of the ring. IE: Dolph Ziggler, Evan Bourne, Daniel Bryan, Randy Orton and a few others.

I think even with all the stupid WWE decisions the feeling is that when it turns around, I wanna be there to see it! But then again... wwe might be that car accident you just cant look away from... Mmm... havent decided yet

The Brown One
12-03-2010, 05:30 AM
Since the pg rating was introduced in the WWE the matches have been watered down yeah..but theres still a few thingsthat keep me watching week after week.

The Undertaker- I know hes a larger than life character, but I watched him as a kid and still do. He's 1 of the only wrestlers from the old wwe still left.
Daniel Bryan- Hes "new" to WWE but still easily the most entertaining wrestler in the whole company. Just watch any of his matches, theyr'e ppv quality and he never fails to dissapoint, despite his "handicap" of a small stature that would usually hold a smaller wrestler back from a higher position.
Speculation- Nowadays the WWE pulls shit out of their ass to evade the IWC as I've noticed in the past few ppvs/weeks. I'm always waiting for a top wrestler to make his return and entertain me again. Also, I wonder whats going to happen at the end of a WWE title match, because theres never telling whos going to win, and whats gonna go down with the WWE constantly changing their plans.

Even though WWE is stale, there are still a few reasons to sit through the bullshit and watch.

TheMadThinker
12-03-2010, 06:03 AM
Most people define themselves through suffering rather they know it or not.

In this case having to suffer through hours of crappy sports entertainment we claim to love and then bitch about it.

It is a dual nature of man type dilemma.

In a way we are content in our own misery.

I suggest you abandon this path of thought.

Splattered-Dreams
12-03-2010, 07:05 AM
I just like wrestling.

AgeoftheFallguy
12-03-2010, 08:20 AM
I have followed american dragon Bryan danielson(daniel bryant) for a long time and had pleasure of meetign him at his last ROH match. I always wait to see what they will have him do next. When he first started on NXT and was going after Cole that was the craziest thing I had seen on WWE TV in forever. I just enjoy to see him do well since hes been working so hard for so long.

Firebrand
12-03-2010, 08:44 AM
What keeps me watching is the fact that on monday nights i can watch wrestling....errr i mean "sports entertainment" shortens the week untill thursday when i can watch wrestling again.

Regal>Cena
12-03-2010, 08:47 AM
I always say to people wrestling is a bit like a soap opera for men.

Some of the wrestlers are ones I have invested in as characters for years: Undertaker, Big Show, Regal etc and some of them are hopefully the stars of the next ten years: people like Danielson, Kaval (who I prayed would join WWE when he was in TNA but now I realise he doesn't get 10 minutes to actually wrestle outside of his one PPV to date) and CM Punk you could tell was a keeper.

In truth what keeps me coming back is habit, but WWE is going in a direction I don't really enjoy. They spend most of the weekly shows selling me the PPV's and by the time you've bought them there is very little emotional investment in the characters anymore with the two dimension storylines. TNA a few years back was great, when it was difficult to watch over here in the UK due to poor television distribution they had some stellar matches. Now they have better exposure it seems to have been at the expense of the programming that I enjoyed. There athleticism on display in both companies always impresses me, but in truth I'm finding the things I dislike are beginning to outweigh the things I do

drumgod
12-03-2010, 08:57 AM
I HAVE RECIEVED AN EMAIL FROM THE GENERAL MANAGER - AND I QUOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I watch b/c i LOVE M. Coles announcing!!! Just dosnt get better than that!!

- COLE MINER

Bodom
12-03-2010, 09:58 AM
My name is Bodom.............. and Im a wrestleholic

*stands down*

Xpacfan
12-03-2010, 10:32 AM
TNA keeps me watching because its the type of in-ring wrestling that I like to see and the booking is a lot better imo than the WWE. Is the booking where I think it should be...NO, but TNA is young and overall I like the direction its heading with a few exceptions.

I've stopped watching WWE but still keep up with what's going on in hopes that it'll eventually get better. Until then, I refuse to actively contribute to its ratings.

Rich Cranium
12-03-2010, 10:51 AM
My name is Bodom.............. and Im a wrestleholic

*stands down*

Oh, is this WA - Wrestleholics Anonymous?

Hello, I'm Rich Cranium and I too am a wrestleholic. -everyone claps and says "hello Rich Cranium" and I sit down -

el gabo
12-03-2010, 10:55 AM
TNA keeps me watching because its the type of in-ring wrestling that I like to see and the booking is a lot better imo than the WWE. Is the booking where I think it should be...NO, but TNA is young and overall I like the direction its heading with a few exceptions.

I've stopped watching WWE but still keep up with what's going on in hopes that it'll eventually get better. Until then, I refuse to actively contribute to its ratings.

You should watch. It has become MUCH MUCH better recently. There's actually wrestling on the show.

eyehatecena
12-03-2010, 12:01 PM
All I can say is thank god for DVRs. Rarely do I watch a full episodes of anything WWE or TNA. WWE does some right things- I liked the Nexus/Cena angle- but I think they runied it now- having him fired then coming back to attack the guys- they should have taken him off TV for awhile. I am very glad they do not use the guest host thing as often- to me it ruined most of the Raws. I was suprsied about last weeks mainevent- I thought it was a very bad idea, but truth be told, it was a highlight of the show. CM Punk on the annoucing team- well all I can say about him is that he is great at anything he does. It was the first show in a long time I watched live...not on DVR. Just wish they would use Gail Kim, she was on Raw in a match and was not even tagged in...much like her last few matches. She is one of the best female wrestlers- use her for fucks sake. She could out wrestle most men on WWE too.
I had totally forgotten about WWEs Superstar show too, but last night I watched the last match and was very impressed- Smith and Kidd match is something they should have had on Raw or Smackdown...not on Superstar...but eh.
TNA- actually I think they are getting better, I enjoy most of what I see...except for the damn Jersey Shore gimmick thing- it retarded. Get rid of the guy, keep Cookie and repackage her. Over all WWE has a better product, but TNA does have better matches at times. I think the product is not as good though since Hogan came in.
TNAs handling of the ECW- I think the screwed the guys over even more than WWE did

Taxi Driver
12-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Hornswoggle keeps me watching. He's a legend and a future hall of famer for sure. I mean did you watch his wrestling skills? He's like a better technical than Bret Hart.

johnadah
12-03-2010, 01:12 PM
I'd have to say that Mickie James' lack of clothing is what kept me watching Impact last night. I had to turn the volume to mute during her music, but my eyes were glued to the screen. She is definitely hotter than ever.

Other than that, MCMG and Gen Me definitely keep me watching TNA, as well as Matt Morgan, and the hopes that TNA will eventually let Kaz and AJ Styles shine again.

cato79
12-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Oh, is this WA - Wrestleholics Anonymous?

Hello, I'm Rich Cranium and I too am a wrestleholic. -everyone claps and says "hello Rich Cranium" and I sit down -

Hi, my name is cato79 and I'm a wrestleholic too...

Thewoodcutter
12-03-2010, 04:00 PM
I just love anything wrestling, Ive been through the worst of it, the best of it the attitude era, to the crap we see now and I will always watch it.

the-rocks-stunner
12-03-2010, 04:56 PM
My name is TRS and im a *exaholic

Robstar
12-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Vickie G. That is all.

SilverGhost
12-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Bryan Punk Christian Barrett matches.

AllDay7
12-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Vickie G. That is all.

Vickie G. is nasty and her voice is even worse. She makes me want to turn to another tv show.

I watch because I keep hoping that either TNA or WWE pulls their heads out of their collective butts, listens to their fans, or start pushing people who deserved to be pushed. I would love it if they did all three but I would take one of my reasons right now.

el gabo
12-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Vickie G. is nasty and her voice is even worse. She makes me want to turn to another tv show.

I watch because I keep hoping that either TNA or WWE pulls their heads out of their collective butts, listens to their fans, or start pushing people who deserved to be pushed. I would love it if they did all three but I would take one of my reasons right now.

Dude, he's kidding about the Vickie stuff.

Rassling_Fan
12-03-2010, 05:49 PM
What's kept me from watching Wrestling?
-The Great Matches: Seeing Bryan Danielson wrestle is always great, and there are a lot of good matches in the WWE despite certain people complaining about that. Though I also enjoy watching old matches when I get the chance. I miss this TNA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X64B7SK4-XQ), not what they're giving us now.
-The Wrestlers: Seeing Danielson in the ring, hearing Punk on commentary, The Miz's promos, what's not to like about them? I even got "Lucha Libre USA: Masked Warriors" on my Series watch because Kong is there. And while I stopped watching TNA on TV, I still follow them and watch online AJ Styles and their tag team matches.
-Not many short matches: I've been trying to get into MMA (as a fan watching it) for the longest time and followed Brock Lesnar because I became a fan of his ever since I saw a Dark Match with him on a Raw. But every time I try to watch it fully, there are times that the match ends too frikkin quickly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln4p4oGT3IM). At least we get at least three minutes in a squash match.
-References: No, I'm not talking about ripping off moments (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLp0dA7UyTc) or cheap heat topics, I'm talking about small nods to past events or outside stuff. A recent example is the Miz using that now Memetastic image of the little girl upset with him winning. Frikkin awesome. Or the fact that Saturn's Moss-Covered Three-Handled Family Credenza (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX7YO-HNUiY) was a reference to Jericho's 1004 Moves Promo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUcTHmZ9luY#t=38s).
-Seeing the Future: Seeing those who could become a big name in the future. Some have it easier then others, and some just don't get the chance they deserve. That's why I originally liked TNA as people who didn't get pushes were given the Main Event Treatment they deserve (ala Christian). Seeing it now compared to then makes me weep.

Only reason I stopped watching TNA...
Finding out about how they treat their talent (http://www.cagesideseats.com/2010/9/29/1719902/an-examination-of-tnas-appalling-treatment-of-talent)- I've told myself and others I would stop watching TNA if certain things happen (if Mick Foley became champion, which he did, if they break up LAX, which they did, if they hire Scott Steiner, which they did) and eventually I come back because I still want to support the people in there. Then I read this article. Finding out how horrible the female wrestlers got paid, finding out TNA expects the wrestlers to pay for the injuries they get working for them, that they can't even organize their own dates for indy work unless they get a contract saying they could (http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/headlines/Hulk_Hogan_Gets_Married_This_Weekend_Eric_You.php) . Heck, WWE pays for rehab of FORMER employees (http://www.yardbarker.com/wwe/articles/report_scott_hall_taken_to_mandatory_rehab_paid_fo r_by_wwe/3061529). This is something I can not support. At least with the WWE, you get paid pretty well even with all the politics and lack of pushes (Gail Kim).

AllDay7
12-03-2010, 05:58 PM

Kidding or not, that is just wrong.

johnadah
12-03-2010, 06:23 PM
I just wish admitting to being a wrestling fan wasn't something you'd be embarrassed or ashamed to do. I didn't tell my boyfriend I was a fan for two whole years out of fear he'd think less of me! If it were half way decent, I wouldn't be ashamed to tell people about my "problem".

As someone else has said, it's more habit than anything else at this point. But all the same, none of us are going to kick it anytime soon.

So, yes.
My name is YellowBootlace...
And I am a wrestleholic.

I don't ever hesitate to tell people that I'm a wrestling fan. It was definitely something I was a bit ashamed of when I was younger though. However, having been in the ring and been through some of what the athletes go through on a daily basis, I understand the tremendous amount of athleticism it takes to do what they do. I have so much respect for those athletes, and I am proud to admit to being a fan. My name is John Adah. And I am a wrestleholic.

Robstar
12-03-2010, 07:23 PM

Am I? Am I really? She is deliciously and magically babealicious and I feel sorry for anyone who wouldn't put that piggy on the spit! ;)

But really she is one of the top 5 characters in WWE today

el gabo
12-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Am I? Am I really? She is deliciously and magically babealicious and I feel sorry for anyone who wouldn't put that piggy on the spit! ;)

But really she is one of the top 5 characters in WWE today

1. Miz
2. Del Rio
3. Punk

Barrett is fading these last two weeks

Iron Ape
12-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Honestly? A lack of good things to watch on Monday nights. My love for wrestling kind of seems to go in and out like the tide, but a shitty night of programming will keep me forever tuning in.

Bodom
12-03-2010, 10:02 PM
1. Miz
2. Del Rio
3. Punk

Barrett is fading these last two weeks

Cena coming back the next week after being fired did nothing for Barrett.

Rich Cranium
12-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Cena coming back the next week after being fired did nothing for Barrett.

That storyline must have occurred before and after the transition of the creative dept's firings/hirings.

Bodom
12-03-2010, 10:09 PM
That storyline must have occurred before and after the transition of the creative dept's firings/hirings.

Who the hell knows. At least keep him off TV for a month.

IrkenInvader
12-03-2010, 10:23 PM
What keeps me watching? Right now I don't know. Raw still has Cena on it. I'm incredibly angry about that. SD has this Kane-Edge debacle I can't stand this shit.

el gabo
12-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Who the hell knows. At least keep him off TV for a month.

Cena is full of shit. He said he wouldn't miss his mom's birthday. What kind of son would do that?

Bodom
12-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Cena is full of shit. He said he wouldn't miss his mom's birthday. What kind of son would do that?

An awful awful one. He knew his mom's bday was that Monday.

What a douche

Robstar
12-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Maybe he flew her out?

C'mon guys the whole thing is a work. By believeing Cena's 'farewell' speech, you'd have to believe everything Kane says on the mic too, like y'know, being from hell and shit like that. The-uh- vegetative state. *smh*

I enjoyed Cena on Raw this week. But I agree, they could have given him a few weeks away, but WWE can't help itself, it blew it's load because they simply cannot bring themselves to not have Cena at TLC. Nevermind that they paused the Kane/Undertaker feud for a while and found a decent 'meanwhile' feud with Edge and that seems to be working - WWE reminds me of someone with money burning a hole in their pocket and can't wait to spend it - even if they waste it on something crappy when they could save it for what they really want. You follow? Just saying - DAM U!!!

Bodom
12-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Sarcasm detector not working Rob?

I know it's a work. Schmuck ;)

Robstar
12-03-2010, 10:48 PM

Remember that Simpsons ep where Homer tries WRITING sarcasm? It doesn't work. At least tip a wink or something, otherwise you sound like all the other Cena hating clones

Bodom
12-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Remember that Simpsons ep where Homer tries WRITING sarcasm? It doesn't work. At least tip a wink or something, otherwise you sound like all the other Cena hating clones

And you don't know me well enough by now to know that almost everything I say is sarcastic? lol

Chance are, when I say something ridiculous like that, im sarcastic.

Unless I say "DIE CENA". Then im totally serious [/SARCASM]

the wrestling shade
12-04-2010, 07:58 AM
my openion takes a little peices from the peoples who commented before me but my main reason believe it or not is that iam waiting for the next big wrestling revolution and the next big highlights or maybe for onther war between two major companys and wwe will probabily be on one side of it and iam waiting for the day when pro wrestling would take back its glory and we wont see this PG crap again because i know as well as any other wrestling fan that pro wrestling or sports entertaiment {like wwe likes to call it} was never a PG meterial its just doesnt fit for it and iam waiting for the day where everything would go down again and when companys would collide with each others and producing the real wrestling product

el gabo
12-04-2010, 09:06 AM

He really thinks we are that stupid. :)

I feel insulted