PDA

View Full Version : deangelo dinero or why some wrestlers should not be allowed to be themselves.

GoldSpirit
12-01-2010, 08:29 AM
I may be going against the crowd on this one but I have to say it...
"THE BLACK POPE" DEANGELO DINERO IS AN AWFUL CHARACTER.
First off, What the HELL is he supposed to be? A pimp? The name conjurs up Bishop Don "Magic" Juan. You know, that pimp who hangs out with Snoop. But let's delve "deeper" shall we?
The Black Pope. Ok, so is he supposed to be some sort of DARK, DEMONIC character or just a "black" Pope as in African-American...? This makes NO sense.
I guess it's "cool" if you are into that sort of thing... Dark, pimp/church leader wrestlers. It's a niche woefully underepresented in professional wrestling.
Ok, so moving past the name. We can all admit Elij... I mean Deangelo is a pretty good wrestler. I'm willing to give him that. But I draw the line at "mic skills". Do you remember Damon Wayans character on "In living color", the guy in jail trying to use all the BIG words but having NO idea what any of them meant? bingo. Listening to "Pope" speak is like watching a really determined midget trying to dunk a basketball. Instead of doing the Money Drop, "Pope" should save a few bucks and buy himself an English textbook. (and maybe sign up for an acting class or two at the learning annex).
It was rumored that Elijah Burke came up with the "Black Pope", character back when he was midcarding "ECW" and WWE dumped him like a fat girl at a junior high dance because he wouldn't stop. (You know when soneone says "hey, I had the coolest dream" and they start telling you about it and you immeadiately tune them out? yeah, like that.) Well, someone at TNA was like "GREAT IDEA!" (terrible idea) and they let him run with it. Now I have to listen to "THE BLACK POPE" come out every week, make no sense and botch 5 of evey 8 words he says to end up seeing him have a so-so match with Abyss.
The BEST thing he has done with the character was punk Bischoff backstage and even then old "Easy E" out shined "Pope" through the whole thing.
Finally, isn't this character just a bit of a sterreotype? Why do ALL SUCCESSFUL African-American wrestlers have to be stereotypes?? (Thank you Jay Lethal for NOT being one... you are the exception proving the rule.)
Please, Elijah, STOP with the gimmick already. You are LITERALLY setting back African-Americans 40 years with it. Hogan could come out in blackface and tap dance and STILL be less of a stereotype than Deangelo Dinero.
Ok, That's my rant.

TJHawkesybaby
12-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Wow .........!

el gabo
12-01-2010, 08:59 AM
You are onto something with the Afro-American characters in wrestling. they always have something stereotypical (Godfather=pimp, R-Truth=rapper)

I guess the only one without that type of gimmick is Mark Henry as the World's Strongest Man. And it's not limited to Afro-Americans, samoans almost always have the Umaga character, Puerto Ricans and Cubans have the Razor Ramon/Carlito character.

Guess creative juices are on low.

tommy1983
12-01-2010, 09:34 AM
the "pope" really gets on my nerves

Cant quite put my finger on what it is but when he's on i switch the channel
Hate his promos, average in the ring and the whole congregation thing drives me nuts.

yuck, just yuck!

MattElder
12-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Think youve looked far to deep into all this, You ever heard the saying "If you create a character keep it close to yourself"? Well R Truth is into Rap just as John Cena was when he was in Character, Stone Cold played a great red neck cos he was a redneck .
The samoans come from their style of wrestling hence their wild gimmicks and characters.
I understand that the pope isnt always clear with his gimmick but it works and i enjoy it and the crowd gets behind, which the business is about

Bob Bowman
12-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Pope is cool. Don't agree with you

SilverGhost
12-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Disagree. He is more of a religous guy that came from the streets. Not a pimp but still uses "pimp" refrences.

I have never seen a character like that but it works and I like it. TNA gave him what WWE never did. A chance to shine.

Elijah Burke< D'angelo Dinero

Seriously! At his last days on ECW, he was wearing this out outfit that reminded me of Orlando Jordan now!

This character is better.

Rassling_Fan
12-01-2010, 11:09 AM
You are onto something with the Afro-American characters in wrestling. they always have something stereotypical (Godfather=pimp, R-Truth=rapper)

I guess the only one without that type of gimmick is Mark Henry as the World's Strongest Man. And it's not limited to Afro-Americans, samoans almost always have the Umaga character, Puerto Ricans and Cubans have the Razor Ramon/Carlito character.

And stereotypes are at a new high.

I liked "the Pope" even when he was in ECW. But I think he makes a better heel then a face.

Rich Cranium
12-01-2010, 11:35 AM
I don't care for the pope and tire of hearing about his congregation.

*Side Note - What was the big guy's name that Pope used to lead to the ring in WWE and what happened to him? I remember the announcer saying he lost in the NCAA wrestling championships to Kurt Angle.

SilverGhost
12-01-2010, 11:44 AM
I don't care for the pope and tire of hearing about his congregation.

*Side Note - What was the big guy's name that Pope used to lead to the ring in WWE and what happened to him? I remember the announcer saying he lost in the NCAA wrestling championships to Kurt Angle.

Sylvester Terkay?

I think he didn't like the wrestling in the WWE.

westy
12-01-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm not a big Pope fan either, again can't put my finger on it. Very big headed, and some wrestlers can get away with it, others can't.

I think he has some good moves and is a good wrestler, but I have no idea why he always gets a good pop from the crowd.

I feel the same about black sterotypes, so glad that Jay Lethal doesn't. He is a class wrestler and a really nie guys he seems. Always love to see him do well in TNA.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
12-01-2010, 12:38 PM
First off, What the HELL is he supposed to be? A pimp? The name conjurs up Bishop Don "Magic" Juan. You know, that pimp who hangs out with Snoop.

Please DON'T EVER compare Deangelo Dinero and the GREATEST PIMP IN THE HISTORY OF PIMP's Bishop Don "Magic" Juan. Don said it best green is for the money and the gold is for da honey. Keep your game and your pimp hand strong.
The pope don't have no game on the mic. Some people have it, most don't, he doesn't. I also wonder about how big his congregation is. I'm not the smartest one to ask on this subject but I wasn't aware of too many black people that live in trailer parks and the impact zone is fill with people from "the lot" if you will. I'm aware you don't have to be black to be in the congregation I was just making an observation. I think Dinero A.K.A the pope can do much better letting the fans know more about his character. We all know TNA likes to cross the line with blood, excessive violence and curse words, but with the pope they seem to be holding back. Someone needs to call http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6lhN_JF2gR_12Ql6oDLXxKlTJvBmR3 Fi5zGtxEIGemQ2UTZKL

muuuhahahahahahahah

U MAD???

jcagosto
12-01-2010, 12:59 PM
"We lie, we cheat, we steal" Eddie Guerrero, an example on how to use stereotypes in your favor...

Thewoodcutter
12-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Just can't stand to hear him open his mouth. I Turn the channel on his promos everytime

SevenCagedTigers
12-01-2010, 02:54 PM

Consequences Creed also wasn't a stereotypical character. All I really know about him is that he was moonlighting to get his college degree. And Elix Skipper also wasn't a stereotype, he was just a badass angryfaced dude. Miss Jackie "The Pride of Tennessee" was a cowboy for shit's sake. I can't aggree that TNA stereotypes black characters.

Awesome Kong was always a little offensive to me. Just the idea of likening a black woman to a gorrilla.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
12-01-2010, 03:13 PM

Awesome Kong was always a little offensive to me. Just the idea of likening a black woman to a gorrilla.

I agree, they look nothing alike

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR308OAqEj8YQB9EWnBxAVW-i_mvko3p-zlfod5T0i7zHUo2TiAhttp://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqHTVDFxRAp2f5kYeEWdTCoG97V3jMA KdoRUSFowlskLRLyXiD

Bodom
12-01-2010, 03:17 PM
You'll have to run it by her.

Pretty sure Awesome Kong and Amazing Kong are her ideas.

johnadah
12-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Pope's character is actually an extension of his own personality. Which is probably why it works so well for him. He garnered a lot of heat backstage when he was in WWE because he got a heavy push very fast. He started walking around backstage referring to himself as "The Black Pope" and talking about how he was such a gift to the locker room. All that TNA has done is allow him to be himself on screen as well. Which, coincidentally, has garnered some heat backstage in TNA as well.

Rassling_Fan
12-01-2010, 03:52 PM

Amazing Kong was originally her name before coming to TNA. They changed it to Awesome Kong so they could own the rights to that name.

Xpacfan
12-01-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm black and personally I don't have a problem with the Pope character. I found John Cena's original character and Cryme Tyme to be more offensive (especially the promos they cut before their official debut).

And don't let me get started on what the WWE has done to Ron Killings aka R-Truth....!

CobraNightviper
12-01-2010, 04:26 PM
speaking of stereo types did anyone notice that the whole congragation at the last tna ppv was all black so what white peeps can't like the pope now tna!!!just kidding but to be serious for a minute the reason I said that is one of my best freinds is black and everytime we watch something with only certain races of people in it(mostly white)he notices sometimes I think he is out to kill whitey so everytime I hear something remotely racist/stereotyped I think of him for some reason but I don't think all peeps are the same so that was just a light joke god I hope I didn't make anyone mad.

VKM
12-01-2010, 04:32 PM
So let me get the straight:

You all Pope haters would rather watch John Cena rapping than watching The Pope. Listen, you guys must not watch TNA because The Popes promos are awesome. The Pope isn't even stereotypical. And sometimes you have to be stereotypical to get over. Like look at Jay Lethal and Consqeuences Creed. Do you think they have a better chance than The Pope of becoming TNA world champ? I don't think so. I guess you all would also rather watch Jack Swagger,Drew Mctytire, and Rey Mysterio cut a promo too huh? You all must be rascist.

It's not hard to undertsand his gimmick. Myabe its because that I'm black that I understand. I use pimp talk all the time but that doesn't mean I'm a pimp. I just do that to be funny or to make someone sound like they are a bitch. The Pope usually says he will pimp slap a man right? So obviously he isn't saying it as if he's a pimp, he's just making them act as though they have been bitched.

The Pope is just a crooked preacher who is an african american. It's as simple as that. Have you ever went to a church full of black people. Half of those people in that church come out with a real street attitude. Not all churches are like that. Mines is not. But you will find that. Black people will come out of the church using slang and curse words. The Pope is just a crooked preacher! Think about it!

Xpacfan
12-01-2010, 04:46 PM
^ You said it best my friend