PDA

View Full Version : The end of professional wrestling?

TheMadThinker
12-01-2010, 04:46 AM
Matt Hardy blogged:

"For the 1st time in a while, I watched Raw straight-thru on DVR after getting home tonight.. That was a long 3 hours. Business needs change. I'm really happy for my friends & the guys that are getting to perform & make a living in the biz, but I feel the biz is slowly fading. There desperately needs to be a new era ushered in that changes the entire landscape and mindset of professional wrestling.. And soon."

I generally do not listen to Matt Hardy’s ramblings, but what he said touched on something I have been thinking about for the past several years. Since the demise of WCW wrestling has declined and become a bit stagnant. WWE is the big dog in the yard and it seems without true competition from a worthy adversary they are content to pump out the same homogonous product week after week. Many people blame this on the PG rating that WWE applies to their programming. I disagree with that and believe WWE is more than capable of providing great entertainment with a PG rating.

Back when WCW threatened WWE existence you could tell WWE was throwing everything at them to regain their position. When you watched RAW back then, you expected to see something controversial almost every week. In recent times the last must see RAW for me was the week after the Nexus invasion. Many people have made the same comment and it makes me scratch my head as to why WWE would not do more stuff like that.

Do not get me wrong because I am not a hater. I will watch WWE until the day I die, but I would like to see some innovation.

So, the questions are:

Has WWE programming become stagnant?

Do you have any ideas that could reinvent or change wrestling for the better?

The Brown One
12-01-2010, 04:55 AM
I know america didn't take to the smaller weight class aka cruiserweights before, but why not retry that now? Theres plenty of lighter wrestlers that are already over with the crowd-kofi,morrison,kaval, and especially rey. Bring back the cruiserweight title and don't put it on hornswoggle again, but give fans fast-paced matches. That will keep them coming back for more

Splattered-Dreams
12-01-2010, 05:33 AM
I know america didn't take to the smaller weight class aka cruiserweights before, but why not retry that now? Theres plenty of lighter wrestlers that are already over with the crowd-kofi,morrison,kaval, and especially rey. Bring back the cruiserweight title and don't put it on hornswoggle again, but give fans fast-paced matches. That will keep them coming back for more

Agreed with this. But WWE always takes things to heights (or lows) we never knew possible. Anyone remember the midget divison?

billythekidd_527
12-01-2010, 05:37 AM

I agree. Back WCW brought in the luchas and other small, athletic and acrobatic guys, it was as much (if not more) entertaining as the entire NWO stuff

Splattered-Dreams
12-01-2010, 05:39 AM
I agree. Back WCW brought in the luchas and other small, athletic and acrobatic guys, it was as much (if not more) entertaining as the entire NWO stuff

Technically, WCW stole most of the cruiserweights from ECW.

Rich Cranium
12-01-2010, 05:40 AM

Agreed, bring back the cruiserweight division.

MattElder
12-01-2010, 05:59 AM
Get rid of NXT and bring in a new 2 hour Tuesday night show called WCW just for cruserweights

Lowki
12-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Specific shows are bad imo. Have cruiserweights on the main shows like raw and smackdown, it adds to the variety which makes the show better. Some people may hate seeing Orton and Cena and want to only watch Luchas so tune in just for that. That's a few more viewers right there.
With this WWE network coming though, i wouldn't be shocked at another show aimed at different types of wrestlers.
Tough enough is a lot better than NXT. Had that real feeling. I'd rather see athletes run 10 miles than push a barrell around the ring anyday.

TJHawkesybaby
12-01-2010, 09:05 AM
One of the main reasons that WCW were beating WWF back in the day was to do with the cruiserweights, WCW's the mid card was soooo much better than WWF they couldnt be touched on main event (big guys) i mean WCW had Hulk Hogan and Nash old guys past there best nad WWF had Austen and The Rock.... you couldnt beat that down....! But WCW mid card guys like Mysterio jnr, Jericho, Guerrero teh list goes on..... those guys were what people watched WCW for! WWF mid card back then was weak, very weak! Its just like with TNA now thats why its gone down hill theyve taken away the focus from the X div, thats what I would watch TNA for i loved those guys, every PPV had a X div bout whether it was World X cup style of X match!

Criuserweight is a very good call!

Bodom
12-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Matt Hardy wrote it. Therefor it loses all validity.

Bob Bowman
12-01-2010, 09:49 AM
WWE needs to go back to the old school way of cutting promos like they did for Kofi Kingston on old school Raw. It made the show much better. Cruiserweight division would be cool as long as the belt is defended on both shows to keep it in public view. the champ defend on both shows while half of the cruiserweights are on Raw and the other half is on Smackdown. Where ever the champ loses the belt, that's where he's stuck until he wins the belt back. That way, the roster changes when needed.

el gabo
12-01-2010, 10:01 AM
WWE needs to go back to the old school way of cutting promos like they did for Kofi Kingston on old school Raw. It made the show much better. Cruiserweight division would be cool as long as the belt is defended on both shows to keep it in public view. the champ defend on both shows while half of the cruiserweights are on Raw and the other half is on Smackdown. Where ever the champ loses the belt, that's where he's stuck until he wins the belt back. That way, the roster changes when needed.

That was really great to see (the kofi promo) good old days. Maybe you're right, they need these type of short promos to help build their confidence. It's harder now since shows are live.

Rassling_Fan
12-01-2010, 11:04 AM
WWE needs to go back to the old school way of cutting promos like they did for Kofi Kingston on old school Raw. It made the show much better.

I miss that old style. While they're entering the ring, you get to hear their thoughts before going in. I would love to see a revival of that.

Scottland
12-01-2010, 11:33 AM
First off, what the hell does Matt Hardy know? Seriously, this guy is one nut away from being a total nut job. WWE is in a transition period. Wrestling isn't dying by any means it's just that WWE is still recovering from an era that many would say is the biggest & most successful era ever in wrestling history. As much as John Cena & Randy Orton have done & how popular they are, they still don't match let alone come remotely close to the ultimate powerhouses that where Stone Cold Steve Austin & The Rock who practically changed the face of wrestling & it's cultural beyond anything that can be touched again. I mean lets be honest, today's young talents just don't compare (it's not even close) even WWE has stated that there roster is the weakest it's been in years. It seems everyone is expecting those primetime days like from 1998-2003/2004 to comeback to that success. Truth be told, that was the peak of wrestling as it was just the right time & right place as everything just clicked. I mean not even the NFL could match WWE in those days as NFL was strongly considering moving Monday Night Football to Tuesday nights because WWE was just beating everyone's doors in especially when Austin & Rock where on at the sametime which was when ratings where at there highest ever reaching record levels of 12-17 million viewers on average. Today, the highest wrestling can get is at 3.2-3.4 million viewers. Talk about night & day. Personally, I don't think wrestling will ever be that big again like it was with Austin & Rock. It was just a freak thing. But can wrestling get to a higher level of popularity from where it is now? Sure but you need the right talent, storylines, characters & so forth to make it happen. That's what it all comes down to no matter how anyone wants to look at.

Rich Cranium
12-01-2010, 11:41 AM
First off, what the hell does Matt Hardy know? Seriously, this guy is one nut away from being a total nut job. WWE is in a transition period. Wrestling isn't dying by any means it's just that WWE is still recovering from an era that many would say is the biggest & most successful era ever in wrestling history. As much as John Cena & Randy Orton have done & how popular they are, they still don't match let alone come remotely close to the ultimate powerhouses that where Stone Cold Steve Austin & The Rock who practically changed the face of wrestling & it's cultural beyond anything that can be touched again. I mean lets be honest, today's young talents just don't compare (it's not even close) even WWE has stated that there roster is the weakest it's been in years. It seems everyone is expecting those primetime days like from 1998-2003/2004 to comeback to that success. Truth be told, that was the peak of wrestling as it was just the right time & right place as everything just clicked. I mean not even the NFL could match WWE in those days as NFL was strongly considering moving Monday Night Football to Tuesday nights because WWE was just beating everyone's doors in especially when Austin & Rock where on at the sametime which was when ratings where at there highest ever reaching record levels of 12-17 million viewers on average. Today, the highest wrestling can get is at 3.2-3.4 million viewers. Talk about night & day. Personally, I don't think wrestling will ever be that big again like it was with Austin & Rock. It was just a freak thing. But can wrestling get to a higher level of popularity from where it is now? Sure but you need the right talent, storylines, characters & so forth to make it happen. That's what it all comes down to no matter how anyone wants to look at.

Yes, it all comes down to the elements and also to let a wrestler be himself to get that organic feel.

Scottland
12-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Yes, it all comes down to the elements and also to let a wrestler be himself to get that organic feel.

It's true, it all comes down to the fundamental elements of professional wrestling.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
12-01-2010, 01:01 PM
It's true, it all comes down to the fundamental elements of professional wrestling.

There is no such thing as professional wrestling anymore, its PRO RASSLIN. Sports entertainment if you will, and yes TNA is sports entertainment too no matter if they call themselves wrestlers or superstars. I think the WWE has really improved over the last few months. The MIZ is Champion, they brought back Danielson and did you forget about "Old School Raw" and how awesome it was ? I feel they are going in the right direction. When I watched "Old School Raw" and they did the back in the day little corner video promo's before the match, it was awesome and helped tell the story of why they are fighting in the first place. WWE needs to bring that back because some of the new guys cant tell the story in the ring and these pre-match promos would help immensely. WWE CREATIVE, READ THE LAST SENTENCE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD
As for Matt Hardy------------------------that grape eatin,dumb ass tweeten, his little videos make him look like a slob, needs to find a F'N job MF'er whatever he says is just laughable.:D

cato79
12-01-2010, 02:05 PM
I agree with the idea of the Cruiserweight division... That would open the door for some very good Mexican wrestlers as is did to Juventud Guerrera, Psicosis, Super Crazy, Mysterio amongst others back in the 90s on WCW... There is impressive talent in Mexican wrestling world such as Mistico, La Sombra, La Mascara, Volador Jr and several others...