PDA

View Full Version : Who is a better technical wrestler: Dean Malenko or Curt Henning?

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
11-30-2010, 03:37 PM
For those of you who don't know, I'm starting the Greatest Technical Wrestler of all Time Tournament and this is the first official match-up of it. So...it's the "Man of a Thousand Holds" vs. the "Perfect" wrestler and I personally think this might just be the hardest choice of all of them in the first round.

Seriously, I have flip-flopped my decision on this one multiple times, but I must say that my only reason I'm gonna feel confident in my decision is that you truly can't go wrong with either guy. So with that being said, my vote is gonna go with Malenko. After re-watching a few of their greatest matches, I must say that Malenko has impressed me ever so slightly more. I don't feel good about eliminating Henning first round, but jeez Malenko is just so fluid in everything he does, and he always gave it all he had with every move he performed.

Scottland
11-30-2010, 03:41 PM
That question is like asking who's more "bubblegum-like" Hogan or Cena? Seriously, you can't go wrong. Malenko & Henning where both great technical wrestlers. To ask who's better between the two could go on forever because both sides would have valid points. It's a win-win.

Bodom
11-30-2010, 03:44 PM
You can't go wrong with either, but Im gonna go with Henning. Been watching a lot of AWA lately and Henning ruled that company as Champ.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
11-30-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm sorry everyone, for whatever reason, the poll didn't show up and i don't think you can edit one in. If you can, someone please tell me how to do so, otherwise, just place your vote in a comment and I will tally up the scores when it's all said and done.

Bodom
11-30-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm sorry everyone, for whatever reason, the poll didn't show up and i don't think you can edit one in. If you can, someone please tell me how to do so, otherwise, just place your vote in a comment and I will tally up the scores when it's all said and done.

Fixed it for ya.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
11-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Fixed it for ya.

Thanks Bodom!

Bodom
11-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Don't know how long you wanted it open, so I did it for 3 days

Bodom
11-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks Bodom!

Every now and then I have to do something Moderator-y lol

JimmytheBlack
11-30-2010, 03:55 PM
You can't go wrong with either, but Im gonna go with Henning. Been watching a lot of AWA lately and Henning ruled that company as Champ.

Yeah AWA Henning was the shit. Mr. Perfect wasn't just his rasslin name.

Tommy Thunder
11-30-2010, 03:57 PM
I'm going to give my vote to Malenko. But as you say it's an extremely close one. Tough call to eliminate Henning, but the man with a thousand holds gets my vote.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
11-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Don't know how long you wanted it open, so I did it for 3 days

3 days is great. That'll give everyone ample time to get their votes in.

JimmytheBlack
11-30-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm going to give my vote to Malenko. But as you say it's an extremely close one. Tough call to eliminate Henning, but the man with a thousand holds gets my vote.

Remember towards the end of his WCW career when he was the man of 1001 holds? As a kid I would sit there and count out the moves he would use lol. Never found out what that 1001st hold was.

Bodom
11-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Remember towards the end of his WCW career when he was the man of 1001 holds? As a kid I would sit there and count out the moves he would use lol. Never found out what that 1001st hold was.

The Moss-Covered Three Handled Family Credenzel.

JimmytheBlack
11-30-2010, 04:18 PM
The Moss-Covered Three Handled Family Credenzel.

In other words, a swinging fisherman suplex?

Bodom
11-30-2010, 04:21 PM
In other words, a swinging fisherman suplex?

Pretty much, but he shifts his knee to the right and lets out a taco bell fart.

JimmytheBlack
11-30-2010, 04:22 PM
Pretty much, but he shifts his knee to the right and lets out a taco bell fart.

Alright, one point goes to wikipedia for the assist. Thanks Perry Saturn!

thejman93
11-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Every now and then I have to do something Moderator-y lol

Who are the mods around here?

shanethewolf
11-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Mr Perfect was my fave wrestler of all time, but where Malenko was purely a technical wrestler and little else, Hennig was a technical wrestler and so much more! I've never seen anyone put his opponent over so well, while looking so good doing it. A true legend who (with the help of Ricky Steamboat) gave the Intercontinental Championship more credibility than the world title.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
11-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Mr Perfect was my fave wrestler of all time, but where Malenko was purely a technical wrestler and little else, Hennig was a technical wrestler and so much more! I've never seen anyone put his opponent over so well, while looking so good doing it. A true legend who (with the help of Ricky Steamboat) gave the Intercontinental Championship more credibility than the world title.

That my very well be true, but remember: this should only be based off of the in-ring, technical talent. Personality and Swagger should have nothing to do with it.

CobraNightviper
11-30-2010, 05:45 PM
I am going with M.r Perfect not only was he a great wrestler but one of the greatest I.C champs of all time(and how many titles did malenko hold in wwe besides the cruiser weight)and on this poll can you vote as many times as you want or only once per day?

cato79
11-30-2010, 06:05 PM
I go with Malenko... I just saw the last WCW match between he and Eddie Guerrero... Awesome technical match...

As stated by xStraightxEdgexSaviorx, its a hard decision to make... I love Henning finisher...

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
11-30-2010, 06:20 PM
I am going with M.r Perfect not only was he a great wrestler but one of the greatest I.C champs of all time(and how many titles did malenko hold in wwe besides the cruiser weight)and on this poll can you vote as many times as you want or only once per day?

It should be just once period.

Thewoodcutter
11-30-2010, 06:24 PM
Mr. Perfect with the towel flip for the win.

el gabo
11-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Mr. Perfect with the towel flip for the win.

Really loved the man of 1001 holds but, almost every wrestler that has been in the ring with Perfect says that he's the best they've ever seen. I would of picked Malenko but, based on that fact, Mr. Perfect. And yes the PerfectPlex ROCKS!!!!!

el gabo
11-30-2010, 07:06 PM

Who are the mods????

el gabo
11-30-2010, 07:07 PM

IrkenInvader, IPEEINTHESHOWER, Scottland and WWTNA.

Bodom
11-30-2010, 07:55 PM

Me, SilverGhost, and Robstar. Frank is the admin

IrkenInvader, IPEEINTHESHOWER, Scottland and WWTNA.

HAHAHA

CobraNightviper
11-30-2010, 08:29 PM
okay I voted already thanks

the game
11-30-2010, 09:29 PM
having had the pleasure of watching both wrestlers i think i would have to go with the perfect one,grew up watching him and he was superb

mrbluto
11-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Close call but I would say Dean Malenko.

Lowki
11-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Ouch this is close... But It's going to be Malenko because he's one of my favourites of all time =]

I will add one thing... How many users are old school fans?
The reason i ask this is simple... Newer fans will have heard of Mr Perfect post 2002 but how many would have seen malenko besides spariodic appearances and a nexus beat down?

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
11-30-2010, 10:59 PM
Ouch this is close... But It's going to be Malenko because he's one of my favourites of all time =]

I will add one thing... How many users are old school fans?
The reason i ask this is simple... Newer fans will have heard of Mr Perfect post 2002 but how many would have seen malenko besides spariodic appearances and a nexus beat down?

I would think it would be the opposite. Old school preferring Perfect but newer fans preferring Malenko. Even if they have heard of Henning, Malenko was in his prime way after Henning was in his.

Krow132
11-30-2010, 11:34 PM
Malenko. Hennig was a better entertainer overall, but as far as technical ability goes, Dean's got this one locked up.

AngrySamoan
11-30-2010, 11:56 PM
They were both great, but his last name is Hennig, not Henning. =P

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
12-01-2010, 12:08 AM
They were both great, but his last name is Hennig, not Henning. =P

My fault. I always knew him as Mr. Perfect, and when the announcers said his name, it always sounded like Henning to me.

TheMadThinker
12-01-2010, 01:22 AM
I would have to say Dean Malenko was a better technical wrestler. Curt Henning was a better talker and overall entertainer.

Some of the best moments in wrestling were when Curt Henning would have his opponent beat and ready to go for a finisher. He would look into the camera and yell out to the crowd "now you’re gonna see a perfect-plex". Back in the day almost nothing got more crowd heat than that, truly vintage.

JagerDave
12-01-2010, 01:58 AM
Hennig was a better performer, entertainer and athlete. My vote for technical skill favors Malenko, however. In every positive category you could rate a wrestler, technical and submission would be the only two I could imagine Malenko besting Hennig. Many would even consider submission a part of technical anyhow.

Kashdinero
12-01-2010, 02:01 AM
I voted for Malenko. When it comes to pure technical wrestling he is almost without peer. Curt is far from a slouch in this department but Dean (and his brother Joe) was bred to be a ring technician!

shanethewolf
12-01-2010, 03:56 AM
My fault. I always knew him as Mr. Perfect, and when the announcers said his name, it always sounded like Henning to me.

To be fair, even announcers and fellow wrestlers made this mistake a lot.

Rich Cranium
12-01-2010, 12:35 PM
I voted for Malenko who trained under his father the great Boris Malenko. Hennig was great and had technicality plus entertainment value but Malenko was a technical guru.

Ren 13
12-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Wow... tough call, but I have to go with Dean. Sentimental favourite is Curt, but my brain says Malenko.

Taxi Driver
12-02-2010, 05:13 AM
Curt Henning.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
12-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Hey guys, just wanted to bump this thread and the Bret Hart/Jack Swagger thread, as both polls end today. Get your last minute votes in and have your voices be heard!!

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
12-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Curt Hennig wins this match-up. He goes on to face the winner of the Kurt Angle/Shelton Benjamin match-up in round 2.