PDA

View Full Version : Drew McIntyre...

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
11-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Has the WWE dropped the ball on him? Look back at the MITB ppv and see how much heat he got from the crowd. Back then he was maineventing Smackdown, had a beef with Teddy Long, and was getting the opening promos of the show. What happened to his push? It seemed like it was working as he was over enough with the crowd to keep the push going, but out of nowhere they started having him lose matches to guys who are supposed to be injured and having him team with Cody Rhodes. The Chosen One gimmick was going good imo, and I really hope he gets another shot down the road. I think he will, given his relationship with Trips, but you never know...

What are your thoughts on him anyway? Do you think he deserves a push? Or do you think he should be a mid-carder for life? Personally, I like him. I like hi in-ring style, I like the intensity he brings to every match, I like his moveset, and I actually like his promos too.

SilverGhost
11-27-2010, 02:44 PM
I think his push went down since the whole "misunderstanding" with him and Tiffany.

His gimmick was really good but yeah....Tiffany did delay that push....

Iron Ape
11-27-2010, 02:47 PM
The guy is as exciting as a trip to the DMV. I look forward to seeing him get future endeavored.

K2Jelly
11-27-2010, 02:48 PM
I don't blame Tiffany. I just think it's because his gimmick is boring as hell. Plus, his promos aren't that good. The only time where I can get interested in his promos is if he's talking about him being the Chosen One, but that gets old really fast.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
11-27-2010, 02:48 PM
I think his push went down since the whole "misunderstanding" with him and Tiffany.

His gimmick was really good but yeah....Tiffany did delay that push....

Not familiar with this story. Aren't they husband and wife? What misunderstanding do they have?

K2Jelly
11-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Not familiar with this story. Aren't they husband and wife? What misunderstanding do they have?

It was at a party at the Playboy Mansion I think. I think that Tiffany got in a physical confrontation with Drew. I really don't see how that contributes to his current state.

SilverGhost

Yes. They are married. I think Tiffany got drunk and some shit happened.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
The guy is as exciting as a trip to the DMV. I look forward to seeing him get future endeavored.

I don't understand this. He is a really good wrestler imo, he has a great look, and is still young with time to grow.

K2Jelly
11-27-2010, 02:53 PM
I don't understand this. He is a really good wrestler imo, he has a great look, and is still young with time to grow.

He's a good wrestler, but his gimmick, promos and personality are a real snooze.

TheDevilsAdvocate
11-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Yes. They are married. I think Tiffany got drunk and some shit happened.

Maybe the bunnies were wanting a piece of Drew an Tiffany snap, crackled, and popped all over him. ;D

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
11-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Yeah I don't know what that would have to do with his current state in the WWE. They seemed to have worked out their problems now, as Tiffany called Drew "her rock" recently.

SilverGhost
11-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Maybe the bunnies were wanting a piece of Drew an Tiffany snap, crackled, and popped all over him. ;D

This is possible! xD

But the news breaking out that this happened was good for Drew. They had to go to court for this too. Tiffany has been future endeavored and Drew has went down...

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
11-27-2010, 03:08 PM
He's a good wrestler, but his gimmick, promos and personality are a real snooze.

I don't know, maybe I'm being blinded by his accent which makes him sound unique, but I don't think he's boring at all. You guys really didn't like his promos with Teddy Long? I don't exactly remember what he said/did, but I remember being impressed and thinking that this guy could make it.

SilverGhost
11-27-2010, 03:10 PM
I don't know, maybe I'm being blinded by his accent which makes him sound unique, but I don't think he's boring at all. You guys really didn't like his promos with Teddy Long? I don't exactly remember what he said/did, but I remember being impressed and thinking that this guy could make it.

I was impressed by him. He can talk but it did look like it was dragged on....

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
11-27-2010, 03:16 PM
I was impressed by him. He can talk but it did look like it was dragged on....

I guess. I don't think the WWE has exactly given him gold to work with though. Plus, with Vinnie Mac in a kayfabe coma, Drew lost a lot of his power on T.V. i think that has contributed to the droppig of the Chosen One gimmick, which is better than his current one of "Scottish Wretler"

Iron Ape
11-27-2010, 03:36 PM

I'm not seeing the "really good wrestler" stuff. Serviceable? Sure. Really good? We just might have different definitions of really good.

I guess he has the look or whatever, but that means fuck all to me. Also, his Chosen One silliness reminds me of something you'd hear from the villian of the week on that old Highlander tv show. Maybe if he started beheading folk to the tune of some Queen songs, I might take notice. Until then, meh. I'll continue getting up to hit the bathroom when his generic cock-rock theme hits.

SilverGhost
11-27-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm not seeing the "really good wrestler" stuff. Serviceable? Sure. Really good? We just might have different definitions of really good.

I guess he has the look or whatever, but that means fuck all to me. Also, his Chosen One silliness reminds me of something you'd hear from the villian of the week on that old Highlander tv show. Maybe if he started beheading folk to the tune of some Queen songs, I might take notice. Until then, meh. I'll continue getting up to hit the bathroom when his generic cock-rock theme hits.

I like his theme! But it doesn't fit him.

Though you have a point on the Chosen One gimmick. It could have been better.

cainecollin
11-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Meh, I was never impressed with him either. His first run was pretty lackluster IMO and I think that is why I don't care much for this run, though

Justdawg08
11-27-2010, 03:42 PM
You people kidding me?

He hasn't even been in the WWE for a year... chill out... you want other stars to be pushed like Kofi Kingston, John Morrison, Jack Swagger, CM Punk.... yet your asking for a guy who's been here for less than a year to get that major push?

Give him time. McIntrye just brings this whole iry feel into the arena the second his music hits. And besides it seems like Alberto Del Rio may have replaced him in the newcomer spotlight.

Iron Ape
11-27-2010, 03:48 PM
I like his theme! But it doesn't fit him.

Though you have a point on the Chosen One gimmick. It could have been better.

It sounds like the kind of stuff from 2000 or so that made me stop using a radio altogether. Modern radio rock is complete horseshit.

K2Jelly
11-27-2010, 03:52 PM
You people kidding me?

He hasn't even been in the WWE for a year... chill out... you want other stars to be pushed like Kofi Kingston, John Morrison, Jack Swagger, CM Punk.... yet your asking for a guy who's been here for less than a year to get that major push?

Give him time. McIntrye just brings this whole iry feel into the arena the second his music hits. And besides it seems like Alberto Del Rio may have replaced him in the newcomer spotlight.

He doesn't need to be in the WWE for a year to be entertaining. Your assumption that a superstar can't be entertaining in their first days in the WWE is quite hilarious. And if I recall correctly, none of us have mentioned him getting a major push.

SilverGhost
11-27-2010, 03:53 PM
You people kidding me?

NO WE ARE NOT KIDDING! WE r SRS!

I think he has been a year.

Oh he had a major push....just creative had a brain fart....

Justdawg08
11-27-2010, 03:54 PM
I thought the whole point of this thread was someone saying that they killed off his push... and I said... give him time...

He was the flavor of the month when he came in.

SilverGhost
11-27-2010, 03:54 PM
It sounds like the kind of stuff from 2000 or so that made me stop using a radio altogether. Modern radio rock is complete horseshit.

It sounds decent.....but I guess the music has to fit the character.....I would think a wrestler that had so much shit happen to him would fit the bill.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
11-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Sorry I must again disagree with everyone about his theme. It is one of the best in the WWE imo, and it does fit him well. Listen to the lyrics of the song, it's all about someone coming in and grabbing the spotlight and keeping it.

And to the point of Justdawg08: The difference between a Drew Mcintyre and a CM Punk is that Punk was given a few years to develop in ECW before hitting it big on Smackdown and Raw, whereas Drew came in and was pushed almost immediately. Guys who get pushed immediately after coming up seem to only be given one real shot (look at MVP and Carltio) and if they fail, they end up being future endeavored or forever mid-carded. Like I said though, i'm not ready to give up on McIntyre just yet though, but that is based almost solely off of his relationship with HHH.

And I do think Drew is a really good wrestler. I like the way he tells a story in his matches, I like the way he sells his moves, and I like his moveset in general.

Iron Ape
11-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Sorry I must again disagree with everyone about his theme. It is one of the best in the WWE imo, and it does fit him well. Listen to the lyrics of the song, it's all about someone coming in and grabbing the spotlight and keeping it.
I don't care how heavy-handed and on-the-nose the lyrics are. It's got the same generic cock-rock sound as just about everything else in the WWE at the moment. There's nothing unique about it, nor does it have any real character of its own.

CobraNightviper
11-27-2010, 04:29 PM
I rember Drew was on smackdown with William Regal for a month or so back in 2007 or 2008 before getting sent to fcw.

NightofChampions071810
11-27-2010, 04:48 PM
I think his gimmick of being "the chosen one" actually hurts him. To me if you are "the chosen one" you have a lot to live up to. If you don't and I don't think he does than it makes you look like a clown. His teaming with Rhodes showed Rhodes was much better than him. IMO. Also feel like he is coasting on his gimmick. In the end he should be a mid-carder for life.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
11-27-2010, 04:52 PM
I don't care how heavy-handed and on-the-nose the lyrics are. It's got the same generic cock-rock sound as just about everything else in the WWE at the moment. There's nothing unique about it, nor does it have any real character of its own.

Well, what do you expect from a wrestling theme? I think it has a unique sound, as someone else said, it has an eerie feel to it. It's a very intense song, and it fits his charactere well lyrically. I'd like to know freind, what do you think are some good theme songs out there today so I get an inking as to what you feel a good theme should be.

Cena
11-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Drew is of Scotland and Scottish people like bagpipes so he should have Roddy Piper as manager

Rich Cranium
11-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Do you guys remember when JoMo dressed as Bravehart to confront Drew? Here it is, good stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDRGraLKzoI

SilverGhost
11-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Drew is of Scotland and Scottish people like bagpipes so he should have Roddy Piper as manager

Not Piper. He isn't full Scottish either.

Iron Ape
11-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Well, what do you expect from a wrestling theme? I think it has a unique sound, as someone else said, it has an eerie feel to it. It's a very intense song, and it fits his charactere well lyrically. I'd like to know freind, what do you think are some good theme songs out there today so I get an inking as to what you feel a good theme should be.

You're going to get a tattoo based on what I think a good theme should be? Sweetness! I'm honored. :)

- Santino Marella's (a ludicrously awesome throwback to themes of the 80s)

- CM Punk's (great riff, terrific energy, and unlike Drew's it actually is intense)

- Zak Ryder's (douchetastic!, appropriately cheesy)

- Jericho's (iconic)

- Goldust's (epic, unique, and surreal)

- Daniel Bryan's (it's a rousing classic that hilariously fits the character like a glove)

- Alberto Del Rio's (exotic, colorful, and classy)

efrum
11-27-2010, 05:17 PM
did anyone else think "The Dashing Ones" lasted for a bewilderingly short period of time?
Not really a Drew fan myself, ok in the ring but pretty flat everywhere else.
I guess he's got the image WWE like though.

wallyman
11-27-2010, 06:05 PM
idc for drew...he doesnt show signs of anmything for me...no matt wrestling high flyin or anything...when he walks in the arena for me is like a camera man is walking there...hes there cuz he has 2 and not because i am excited in any way...i could care less if he stays or he leaves....i dont erally know his background...but all he has is that his from uik

Cena
11-27-2010, 06:25 PM
when he walks in the arena for me is like a camera man is walking there.

Drew no carry camera! He is cold stare gimmick and no high flys

SilverGhost
11-27-2010, 07:01 PM
You're going to get a tattoo based on what I think a good theme should be? Sweetness! I'm honored. :)

- CM Punk's (great riff, terrific energy, and unlike Drew's it actually is intense)

- Jericho's (iconic)

- Daniel Bryan's (it's a rousing classic that hilariously fits the character like a glove)

Good ones.

I still think Drew's music would fit an emo person or a person with a rough past.

SilverGhost
11-27-2010, 07:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c_QlGODXf8&feature=related

Bodom
11-27-2010, 08:20 PM

I fucking HATE Killswitch Engage and even i'll say its a good wrestling theme. Perfect for Punk

Iron Ape
11-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Good ones.

I still think Drew's music would fit an emo person or a person with a rough past.

I think the word "emo" might be the most misused, misunderstood word on all of the internet. McIntyre's theme isn't anything even remotely in the vicinity of being emo or emo-ish.

Iron Ape
11-27-2010, 08:53 PM
I fucking HATE Killswitch Engage and even i'll say its a good wrestling theme. Perfect for Punk

Yeah, I don't like Killswitch Engage, either, but that's still one of the best new themes to come from the past several years. I mark out nearly every time I hear it.

SilverGhost
11-27-2010, 08:56 PM
I think the word "emo" might be the most misused, misunderstood word on all of the internet. McIntyre's theme isn't anything even remotely in the vicinity of being emo or emo-ish.

Oh crap....I remembered!

I apologize and Drew's theme should be used for another gimmick.

Iron Ape
11-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Oh crap....I remembered!

I apologize and Drew's theme should be used for another gimmick.

A person with an actual emo theme would be your boy Christian. It's more screamo, really, but close enough.

Bodom
11-27-2010, 09:22 PM
A person with an actual emo theme would be your boy Christian. It's more screamo, really, but close enough.

Don't remind me. I try to forget that Story of the Year does that song.

SilverGhost
11-27-2010, 09:23 PM

hmm...I wouldn't know since I have never heard emo music.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
11-27-2010, 09:26 PM

- Jericho's (iconic)

My fault...I meant inkling. Anyway, all of those guys have a clear gimmick aside from Chris Jericho, and their themes are suited for those gimmicks. This is of coarse with the exception of CM Punk, who's theme doesn't really fit him at all gimmick wise. I agree it is a good song, but only as a song, not as a theme (if that makes sense). A more apporpriate choice for his S.E.S. days would have been his Indy theme "Miseria Cantare" by AFI. That would have fit him perfectly. Drew's theme does fit him, aside from me liking it as a song, it posesses all of the qualities that I mentioned before.

Iron Ape
11-27-2010, 10:05 PM
Don't remind me. I try to forget that Story of the Year does that song.

As far as screamo bands go, they're not as awful as people seem to like to make them out to be. Really, they're actually pretty strong as far as writing solid pop hooks goes. Not my cup of tea, but I can see the merit.

Iron Ape
11-27-2010, 10:06 PM
hmm...I wouldn't know since I have never heard emo music.

It seems kind of odd that you're going around calling things emo then. ;)

Bodom
11-27-2010, 10:10 PM
As far as screamo bands go, they're not as awful as people seem to like to make them out to be. Really, they're actually pretty strong as far as writing solid pop hooks goes. Not my cup of tea, but I can see the merit.

I love My Chemical Romance, so I really can't mock them for being Emo and such. Iv just never been impressed by them.

Give me Immortal and Kataklysm any day ;)

Iron Ape
11-27-2010, 10:11 PM
My fault...I meant inkling. Anyway, all of those guys have a clear gimmick aside from Chris Jericho, and their themes are suited for those gimmicks. This is of coarse with the exception of CM Punk, who's theme doesn't really fit him at all gimmick wise. I agree it is a good song, but only as a song, not as a theme (if that makes sense). A more apporpriate choice for his S.E.S. days would have been his Indy theme "Miseria Cantare" by AFI. That would have fit him perfectly. Drew's theme does fit him, aside from me liking it as a song, it posesses all of the qualities that I mentioned before.

You seem kind of hung up on there being a literal connection between a song's lyrics and the wrestlers gimmick, whereas I'm about the feeling and/or emotion that comes from the actual sound and how that correlates to the projected image. Neither interpretation is really right or wrong, I guess; just different approaches is all.

SilverGhost
11-27-2010, 10:11 PM
It seems kind of odd that you're going around calling things emo then. ;)

.................................................. ...

Iron Ape
11-27-2010, 10:19 PM
I love My Chemical Romance, so I really can't mock them for being Emo and such. Iv just never been impressed by them.
I think people associating My Chemical Romance with the emo label is about as unfair as it is inaccurate. There have certainly been some emo-ish elements in their sound, sure, but they're so ambitious and far beyond deserving that pigeonhole. Just a good ol' fashion rock band, as far as I'm concerned.

Give me Immortal and Kataklysm any day ;)
I'm a Thrice man, personally. They seem to be constantly evolving, and their sound seems to take new forms with each and every album.

Bodom
11-27-2010, 10:29 PM
I think people associating My Chemical Romance with the emo label is about as unfair as it is inaccurate. There have certainly been some emo-ish elements in their sound, sure, but they're so ambitious and far beyond deserving that pigeonhole. Just a good ol' fashion rock band, as far as I'm concerned.

Oh no doubt. They're an incredible band. I honestly didn't become a fan until Black Parade. I was always bashing them and didn't realize how ignorant I was until I heard that record.

Speaking of MCR. Have you heard their new record? So f'n good.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
11-27-2010, 10:36 PM
You seem kind of hung up on there being a literal connection between a song's lyrics and the wrestlers gimmick, whereas I'm about the feeling and/or emotion that comes from the actual sound and how that correlates to the projected image. Neither interpretation is really right or wrong, I guess; just different approaches is all.

Yes I am far more of a lyrical type of guy (being a hip-hop head at heart) than a "musical" type of guy. I know that isn't the correct wording, but right now my mind is drawing a blank.

Iron Ape
11-27-2010, 10:50 PM
Oh no doubt. They're an incredible band. I honestly didn't become a fan until Black Parade. I was always bashing them and didn't realize how ignorant I was until I heard that record.
Yeah, Black Parade is a fantastic record. I became a fan, though, with Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge. Just about every single song on that album delivers, and I never got tired of listening to it, no matter how popular and overplayed it became with the masses.

Speaking of MCR. Have you heard their new record? So f'n good.
I find half of the songs to be just okay, but I find the other half to be really, really awesome. Not their strongest effort, but still better than most other popular rock bands out there nowadays.