PDA

View Full Version : The Issue Of New/Old Titles

Robstar
11-26-2010, 03:39 PM
I was thinking the other day (yeah, it hurt) and it occurred to me that the only reason WWE really introduced titles like the Hardcore title, Cruiserweight/Light Heavyweight and European championship was because WCW was using a plethora of belts and having some decent success with it.

It brought to my mind that WWE was way better when it had some real competition - and the only real competition they have ever had was in the form of WCW. For a long time WWE was playing catch up. With competition, there is always new ideas and new approaches to business. Without it, WWE is growing stale once more and becoming the 'sleeping giant' again; content with a full stomach after making a meal out of WCW and snacking on ECW, WWE is falling into a deeper and deeper slumber, content in the misjudgement that it is safe from harm.

Don't get me wrong - I don't think TNA is a danger. At the current time. But if more and more fans become discontented with the product, they will defect to the nearest thing at hand. And tbh, all TNA needs is to (start) making a few good business decisions, have a bit of luck and WWE will wonder what the hell happened.

You have been warned. ;)

El_Dandy_LWO
11-26-2010, 05:23 PM
The reason TNA got where its at is beacuse of the X-Div, AJ, Joe, Elix Skipper, and having some of the best athletes and matches in the word of pro wresting. These things scored them the TV deal with Fox Sports, and later Spike TV. A company that continued to only get bigger. Then what happened? The desire within the company to compete with WWE. Although TNA repeatedly denies this. Lets cut to a few years later and Hogan and Bischoff are running around on TV with other WWE wash ups, throwing money away and turning the original TNA audence away. Me being one. Why fix something that isnt broken? TNA was growing on its own. Patience and perseverace will prevail as opposed to short term solutions and lots of money

lucky7pointman
11-27-2010, 02:03 PM
I was thinking the other day (yeah, it hurt) and it occurred to me that the only reason WWE really introduced titles like the Hardcore title, Cruiserweight/Light Heavyweight and European championship was because WCW was using a plethora of belts and having some decent success with it.

It brought to my mind that WWE was way better when it had some real competition - and the only real competition they have ever had was in the form of WCW. For a long time WWE was playing catch up. With competition, there is always new ideas and new approaches to business. Without it, WWE is growing stale once more and becoming the 'sleeping giant' again; content with a full stomach after making a meal out of WCW and snacking on ECW, WWE is falling into a deeper and deeper slumber, content in the misjudgement that it is safe from harm.

Don't get me wrong - I don't think TNA is a danger. At the current time. But if more and more fans become discontented with the product, they will defect to the nearest thing at hand. And tbh, all TNA needs is to (start) making a few good business decisions, have a bit of luck and WWE will wonder what the hell happened.

You have been warned. ;)

Wwe was the 1st to bring the hardcore title

Cena
11-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Wwe was the 1st to bring the hardcore title

Cactus Jack is hardcore and Terry Funk is also and NWA had hardcore before WWE and that final answer!

lucky7pointman
11-27-2010, 02:15 PM
The reason TNA got where its at is beacuse of the X-Div, AJ, Joe, Elix Skipper, and having some of the best athletes and matches in the word of pro wresting. These things scored them the TV deal with Fox Sports, and later Spike TV. A company that continued to only get bigger. Then what happened? The desire within the company to compete with WWE. Although TNA repeatedly denies this. Lets cut to a few years later and Hogan and Bischoff are running around on TV with other WWE wash ups, throwing money away and turning the original TNA audence away. Me being one. Why fix something that isnt broken? TNA was growing on its own. Patience and perseverace will prevail as opposed to short term solutions and lots of money

Tna was good like u say but rating start to go up lil by lil cuz old wwe stars and old talent sorry look it up and see the rating when tna was hot in our eyes and rating went tna suck in our eyes ths suck win

lucky7pointman
11-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Cactus Jack is hardcore and Terry Funk is also and NWA had hardcore before WWE and that final answer!

☆LL☆ I mean wwe make the hardcore championship 1st I know wwe did not came up with hardcore lol

CMhuw24
11-28-2010, 06:15 AM
They should bring in a super-heavyweight belt for Mark Henry, Big Show, The Great Khali etc..
Im sure those matches would steal the show.

Robstar
11-26-2012, 04:06 AM

You have been warned. ;)

Clearly I have always had the knives out for TNA. :rolleyes:

TempestH
11-26-2012, 04:49 AM
I think that WWE actually needs to bring all of those championships back. We need the Hardcore, Light Heavyweight, and European Championships back, and get rid of the World Heavyweight and United States titles, which are nothing more than trophies from the Monday Night Wars.

The problem with the WWE right now is that there are "too many" titles, but at the same time there are "not enough" titles. Right now, what WWE likes to do is simply book someone to win a belt and expect fans to cheer/boo them because they're a champion. That is the reason we currently have two World Titles that are supposed to be equal, yet in reality one is set aside for the Golden Boys, and the other is treated as a consolation prize for those who are "good, but not good enough".

The current Title system is flawed, especially with no brand split.

We should have:

One World Championship for the absolute top guys in the company to compete for
One upper-midcard championship (The Intercontinental Championship) for the guys on the cusp of breaking through to the main event, or for main eventers taking a break from the World Title picture
One championship for the pure midcarders who won't be in a high profile storyline any time soon. This is currently the U.S. Title, but it should be the European Championship or a newly created Television Title.
One or more niche titles with special stipulations (i.e. the Hardcore or Light Heavyweight Titles). Mostly for midcarders with the occasional uppercard guy getting a run.

PSOjedi
11-26-2012, 04:57 AM
I think that WWE actually needs to bring all of those championships back. We need the Hardcore, Light Heavyweight, and European Championships back, and get rid of the World Heavyweight and United States titles, which are nothing more than trophies from the Monday Night Wars.
Harcore Championship in PG era = 100% non sense.
European Championship means nothing today.
I would unify the IC and US title after a good fued between the US champion and the IC champ, at Wrestlemania, and of course keep the IC belt. Then I would introduce the cruiserweight championship

Cabers
11-26-2012, 07:35 AM
I would unify the IC and US title after a good fued between the US champion and the IC champ, at Wrestlemania, and of course keep the IC belt. Then I would introduce the cruiserweight championship

That is what needs to happen go from this:

WWE Championship -- World Heavyweight Championship
US Championship -- IC Championship
Tag Team Championship
Divas Championship

To this:

WWE Championship
IC Championship
Cruiserweight Championship
Tag Team Championship
Divas Championship

Effectively bringing levels back to WWE.

PSOjedi
11-26-2012, 05:51 PM
To this: WWE Championship
I don't think, that unifying the WWE/WHC belts would be a good thing. I would keep both

Peter Kaymakcian
11-26-2012, 06:44 PM
The title situation is fine how it is in my opinion.

TempestH
11-26-2012, 06:47 PM

The Hardcore Title could work in the so called "PG Era", if they tried to push the boundaries of TVPG a bit. We've seen the wrestlers have matches in a No-DQ/Street Fight setting before in recent years.

A general third tier title like the European Title or Television Title is needed. While the Cruiserweight Title would be beneficial for the likes of Evan Bourne, Zack Ryder, Tyson Kidd & Justin Gabriel, but what about guys who are not quite IC Title level yet, but wouldn't be eligible for a lightweight belt? The lower midcard non-cruiserweights would need something to fight for as well.

I don't think, that unifying the WWE/WHC belts would be a good thing. I would keep both

I understand that some people would rather keep both belts because "<insert wrestler here> wouldn't be a World Champion if there was only one top title". But it really doesn't mean anything if one of those titles is going to be booked way below the other. Right now the World Heavyweight Title is just a consolation prize for guys who the guys in charge are high on, but they don't think they're good enough to carry the company. As a result, the wrestlers are a "World Champion" on paper, but they haven't really been given the ball.

There's no point in having two World Titles without the brand split. And even with the brand split, there should be only one top title symbolizing who the best in the entire company is, not just the best guy on one show.

WWE needs to learn to make everyone on the card matter, not just the world title level guys.