PDA

View Full Version : Ric Flair.. The new KING of botched promos

GoldSpirit
11-26-2010, 02:18 PM
I've been watching TNA wrestling lately and I have noticed something that has convinced me that Ric Flair has now completely "lost" it.
For a long time now we've all known that Ric hasn't been the "wrestler" he once was. That's evident by his sloppy in-ring work. He is still, however, a great storyteller. a PHYSICAL storyteller.
Ric has always been one of, if not THE greatest, on the mic.
His promos are legendary.
If you haven't been watching Ric Flair as of late here is a quick refresher.
Ric leads a stable of wrestlers known collectively as "Fortune"; Kaz, Beer Money, A.J. Styles. This is a latter day revival of The infamous "Four Horseman".
Ric has been the mouthpiece of the group and has been on the mic quite a bit as of late. Unfortunatley (no pun intended) Ric's ability to cut a promo has seemingly diminshed as much as his in-riing ability.
These "promos" are filled with half-finished ideas, non-sequiters, and misspoken lines. When "fortune" started I had hoped Ric's mic skills would rub off on Styles but it seems the opposite has happened.
As each week passes I find it harder and harder to watch Flair come out and butcher what should be GREAT promos. TNA is pushing "Fortune" and it's a shame that, instead of taking the ball and running with it, Flair seems to be fumbling most of the time.
I've said that I think Flair has still got it but I'm beginning to think it's time for the Nature Boy to hang it up and work behind the scenes. He has alot to offer the younger guys. TNA recognizes this as they have him working with "Fortune" but he may be hurting them more than helping.

IrkenInvader
11-26-2010, 02:27 PM
100% say yes.

Bodom
11-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Should have never come back.

SilverGhost
11-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Ilol@name xD

IrkenInvader
11-26-2010, 02:43 PM
I think he would be amazing in the back training the heels on how to cut promos and in ring psych. Imagine AJ Styles with Ric's mic skills.

Bodom
11-26-2010, 02:48 PM
No doubt that he can still contribute.......just get him off TV.

Robstar
11-26-2010, 03:15 PM
I've been watching TNA wrestling lately and I have noticed something that has convinced me that Ric Flair has now completely "lost" it.
For a long time now we've all known that Ric hasn't been the "wrestler" he once was. That's evident by his sloppy in-ring work. He is still, however, a great storyteller. a PHYSICAL storyteller.
Ric leads a stable of wrestlers known collectively as "Fortune"; Kaz, Beer Money, A.J. Styles. This is a latter day revival of The infamous "Four Horseman".
Ric has been the mouthpiece of the group and has been on the mic quite a bit as of late. Unfortunatley (no pun intended) Ric's ability to cut a promo has seemingly diminshed as much as his in-riing ability.
These "promos" are filled with half-finished ideas, non-sequiters, and misspoken lines. When "fortune" started I had hoped Ric's mic skills would rub off on Styles but it seems the opposite has happened.
As each week passes I find it harder and harder to watch Flair come out and butcher what should be GREAT promos. TNA is pushing "Fortune" and it's a shame that, instead of taking the ball and running with it, Flair seems to be fumbling most of the time.
I've said that I think Flair has still got it but I'm beginning to think it's time for the Nature Boy to hang it up and work behind the scenes. He has alot to offer the younger guys. TNA recognizes this as they have him working with "Fortune" but he may be hurting them more than helping.

I love the They Live sig. It means I'm not the only one who watched it

Rich Cranium
11-26-2010, 03:25 PM
I saw "They Live" too Robstar. On topic, Flair used to be, key word USED TO BE, one of the greatest promo artists ever. I watched him as a kid and he and Dusty Rhodes ruled the mic. I care not to see his flapping titties in the ring any longer.

wallyman
11-26-2010, 03:29 PM

lol are u kiddin me...ur right about his ring work its gone...but as far as promos go hes the man.....

IPEEINTHESHOWER
11-26-2010, 03:30 PM
I care not to see his flapping titties in the ring any longer.

And I certainly don't want to see this anymore http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqaUVg1DeGCl0mFDqGYkLhzPD1qnTWH UR5-7UjijOb1tm7n-6B

muuuuhahhahahhahhaah
U MAD???

IrkenInvader
11-26-2010, 03:34 PM
And I certainly don't want to see this anymore http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqaUVg1DeGCl0mFDqGYkLhzPD1qnTWH UR5-7UjijOb1tm7n-6B

muuuuhahhahahhahhaah
U MAD???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aJg_iCHDCc

Kashdinero
11-26-2010, 03:41 PM
I love the They Live sig. It means I'm not the only one who watched it

Fucking brilliant film! That looooong fight was great for it's day.

Well done for this thread Goldspirt. Very well written.

I will say although having Ric as an on air character is detrimental all round, he's never been one to help others according to many sources. He's a self confessed paranoiac who's always been too concerned about protecting himself backstage. Advice from Ric is something few wrestlers have had the pleasure of receiving. Of all the active wrestlers left in the game Ric would be the best in a (strictly) advisory role. The thing is I don't think he's capable.

Enlgish_TNA4LYF_FAN
11-26-2010, 03:53 PM
ok i agree that i dnt wnt to see flair wrestle, but his promos are still great and hes proved why hes the man in promos.
he draws me in, makes me laugh and makes me really into what is gonna happen after what he says.

AJ has developed immensely under flairs guidance and is improving by the day

SilverCena
11-26-2010, 04:07 PM
I voted no! I think he should stay out of the ring but remain the leader if Fortune.

IrkenInvader
11-26-2010, 04:08 PM
I voted no! I think he should stay out of the ring but remain the leader if Fortune.

Congats your a tool.

the wrestling shade
11-26-2010, 04:10 PM
i think rick flair is pushing his voice so har when he preform the promo and that would lead him to lost focus on what he is saying thats the reason why but in general i dont think that rick has yet lose his promo skills hhhhhhhhhhh

Iron Ape
11-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Scott Steiner should be brought back in so he and Flair can battle for botched promo supremacy. Their legit hatred for one another would result in some legendary shoots, and it make actually make TNA somewhat watchable for a change.

SilverCena
11-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Congats your a tool.

Because I dont conform makes me a tool? Do you even know whats coming out of your mouth?

SilverGhost
11-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Scott Steiner should be brought back in so he and Flair can battle for botched promo supremacy. Their legit hatred for one another would result in some legendary shoots, and it make actually make TNA somewhat watchable for a change.

Steiner and Flair?

-prepares popcorn-

That will be hilarious!

IrkenInvader
11-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Because I dont conform makes me a tool? Do you even know whats coming out of your mouth?

So acting like every other mark is not conforming.

SilverCena
11-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Who are you to call me a mark when your typing posts on a wrestling website?

IrkenInvader
11-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Who are you to call me a mark when your typing posts on a wrestling website?

Do you know the definition of mark?

SilverCena
11-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Do you know the definition of mark?

Yes, MARK = IrkenInvader, Boiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Iron Ape
11-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Steiner and Flair?

-prepares popcorn-

That will be hilarious!

This is just a taste of what it would be like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TuJcuUv0Uw

Rich Cranium
11-26-2010, 04:56 PM
This is just a taste of what it would be like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TuJcuUv0Uw

I remember watching that live and just falling out of my chair laughing!

Iron Ape
11-26-2010, 05:11 PM
I remember watching that live and just falling out of my chair laughing!

Same here. It was epic, like the Lord of the Rings of on-mic shooting.

SilverGhost
11-26-2010, 05:18 PM
I saw that video before.

I wanna see them in the same room yelling their lungs out.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
11-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Unfortunately this is the truth. http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNZZ1BiR5v4P_xiC1vwfQc2eStHbTCs wP9OU_Xx4kIMiewXpJD

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRY7IT2kKA4AmYaq7JfgWl5Q1Ky1tOK nn-BOruN7X-Kz-XK2KN

Justdawg08
11-26-2010, 08:36 PM
Congats your a tool.

And you my friend are a scumbag... way to completely dis someone because they have a different opinoin than you. So assine.

GoldSpirit
11-27-2010, 01:46 AM
Glad to see I'm not the only one to think Ric can't hang.
It's like watching a presentation at an alzheimers clinic. He still has his moments but for christ's sake I CRINGE 90% of the time he's talking. Not to mention he has that OLD MAN voice. He always sort of talked funny but now he sounds like my grandfather after a couple of scotches.
Does it gross anyone else out thinking about Ric actually getting with the women he talks about?
Ric and Fortune go out to IHOP for the early bird special anthen back to the Hotel in time for Colombo, then it's in bed by 7.
Makes you wonder, does TNA tape at noon?
What we really need is Flair hocking EXTENZE.

westy
11-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Hahahaha it's brilliant reading posts on here.

Ric Flair is a wrestler that everybody and I mean everybody respects. All the wrestlers, all the fans, hell even our grandads and grandmas, they all know him. Ric is doing an amazing job as of late. He is funny as hell. Can still get in the ring and put on a fantastic match, bloody or not. When Ric is on screen I take note big time, turn the volume up and get ready to laugh not at him, but with him, and his jokes.

Man it makes me laugh how many WWE fans on here, and we know who they are because they all have WWE sigs and are hating on every TNA wrestler, and when they start of Ric, it just goes to show the crap that are kicking around in WWE. All the big names they had have all gone.

I remember when Nash was rumoured to be going to WWE and the forums were buzzing in WWE about how they would like to see him return, yet while he is with TNA he is trashed.

If guys like Hogan, RVD, Flair especially retire then wrestling is truely dead!!!

TNA are brilliant for giving these older guys a home, age doesn't mean sh*t as long as they can use the mic or get in the ring, in which case Hogan, Flair both can. They are entertaining and have accomplished so much. I remember the names WWE once had on the roster, I look now and it's a joke, it really is.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
11-29-2010, 09:51 AM
TNA are brilliant

Can I have some of what your smoking? I thought I had some good herb but yours is clearly better.:p

westy
11-29-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm smoking nostalgia and for me it's all in TNA

JimmytheBlack
11-29-2010, 12:51 PM
I think he would be amazing in the back training the heels on how to cut promos and in ring psych. Imagine AJ Styles with Ric's mic skills.

AJ Styles is just a terrible heel. It always sounds forced and generic.

SilverGhost
11-29-2010, 01:04 PM

Ric Flair is a wrestler that everybody and I mean everybody respects. All the wrestlers, all the fans, hell even our grandads and grandmas, they all know him. Ric is doing an amazing job as of late. He is funny as hell. Can still get in the ring and put on a fantastic match, bloody or not. When Ric is on screen I take note big time, turn the volume up and get ready to laugh not at him, but with him, and his jokes.

Man it makes me laugh how many WWE fans on here, and we know who they are because they all have WWE sigs and are hating on every TNA wrestler, and when they start of Ric, it just goes to show the crap that are kicking around in WWE. All the big names they had have all gone.

I remember when Nash was rumoured to be going to WWE and the forums were buzzing in WWE about how they would like to see him return, yet while he is with TNA he is trashed.

If guys like Hogan, RVD, Flair especially retire then wrestling is truely dead!!!

TNA are brilliant for giving these older guys a home, age doesn't mean sh*t as long as they can use the mic or get in the ring, in which case Hogan, Flair both can. They are entertaining and have accomplished so much. I remember the names WWE once had on the roster, I look now and it's a joke, it really is.

I lol'ed at this

Rich Cranium
11-29-2010, 10:02 PM
Yes, TNA IS brilliant at bullshit!

Iron Ape
11-30-2010, 12:32 AM
The craziest part of that Westy guy's post is that you can tell that he actually believes the insane things that he's saying. He genuinely believes that the TNA Retirement Village makes for quality entertainment. I'm not sure whether to laugh or feel sorry for the poor guy.

Bodom
11-30-2010, 12:36 AM
So should smile and let him live in his fantasy world?

Iron Ape
11-30-2010, 12:48 AM
So should smile and let him live in his fantasy world?

I've learned that it's never a good idea to fuck with a TNA fan. Those guys typically have nothing to lose.

Bodom
11-30-2010, 12:50 AM
I've learned that it's never a good idea to fuck with a TNA fan. Those guys typically have nothing to lose.

A man with nothing ain't got nothing to lose

IPEEINTHESHOWER
11-30-2010, 01:13 AM
A man with nothing ain't got nothing to lose

As long as there lot fee is paid they won't lose the http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoSZVruAEaHizVCoOlvYoq6-GcJqIpnfNl6IhYLRzH2V1l4rC2MA

Kashdinero
11-30-2010, 05:59 AM
As long as there lot fee is paid they won't lose the http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoSZVruAEaHizVCoOlvYoq6-GcJqIpnfNl6IhYLRzH2V1l4rC2MA

That is EXACTLY where I pictured most hardcore TNA fans lived... Or at least grew up!

GoldSpirit
11-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Westy.
Shut your goddamned hole.
Self-righteous ass.
Of course Ric is GREAT. Ric will always be "Great". And I DO think he has a role to play, but if you don't see how Ric has LOST IT then you are blind. He is not what he was. He is still probably better than half the guys out there but you can't just SAY hes great because he WAS. That's like saying Micheal Jordan IS the greatest basketball player just because he WAS the greatest. If he went out there today he would get SMOKED. Does that mean he wasn't the greatest? Or that he can't impart his knowledge on the younger guys? no, but it DOES mean he should give up trying to keep up with the younger players.
I'm a FLair fan, no doubt. But he is mopst definetely not what he once was in the ring or on the mic. Go watch his stuff with a non-biased, critical eye and tell me I'm wrong.
If you still stand by what you say then I'm sorry buddy, but you have NO idea what you're talking about.

Splattered-Dreams
11-30-2010, 11:23 AM

I get a bit irked sometimes at the bum love WWE gets on this site, but I disagree with you on a few things. Hogan can't wrestle anymore, period, and on the mic he comes across as a bit of a tool (heel or not).

TJHawkesybaby
11-30-2010, 11:55 AM
I think he might just have to stop trying so damn hard! He is good, very good... probably the best.... but he might have to chill a little bit! But he is living his "new" gimmick through his promos.... and he's just having some fun doing it... there are some bits that i think "oh dear!" and i actually get embarrassed for the guy but other bits are just brilliant!

The Foley v Flair promo was just epic..... and im sure you guys would agree?!?

There is like 40yrs of knowledge locked away in that guys head... some will probably never be unlocked dude it being stowed away and forgotten! He would be good to have around.... in the back.... in a "training" role.... and i think hes still cutting it, and i mean just, on screen but the time is near! You guys have gotta remember hes lost like 4 mariages to the biz and has been working for 40 yrs.... its his life! If anyone here ever does anything for that long and has given that much to something.... you try giving up!

That is all.... lol!

SilverGhost
11-30-2010, 12:37 PM

You went by the trailer park next to the Impact Zone???

IPEEINTHESHOWER
11-30-2010, 12:56 PM
You went by the trailer park next to the Impact Zone???

THAT IS the Impact Zone.:p

TJHawkesybaby
11-30-2010, 01:00 PM

I love TNA but this made me howl!!!!!!!!!!!! lmfao!!!!

GoldSpirit
12-01-2010, 02:22 AM
love WWE AND TNA but that impact zone comment is hilarious.

SilverGhost
12-01-2010, 02:58 AM

Walked in that one!

Good one xD

Splattered-Dreams
12-01-2010, 05:15 AM
They all like their home, too - often you can hear "This is awesome!" sporadically throughout the night

Rich Cranium
12-01-2010, 05:26 AM
That trailer is where they keep the old 6 sided ring.

Kashdinero
12-01-2010, 06:45 AM
I thought it was where Janet & Bob Carter forced Dixie to live until TNA gets a 2.0

GoldSpirit
12-01-2010, 07:56 AM
i thought that was a visual representation of Ric Flair's dignity.