PDA

View Full Version : 2013 - A Breakthrough Year For Women's MMA?

SteveA21
11-09-2012, 11:23 AM
With the announcement of UFC folding Strikeforce and bringing their women's division into UFC, 2013 is going to be an interesting year for MMA, and for women's MMA in particular. I saw one sarcastic comment about women in the UFC about "Oh, good - now I know when I can take my toilet break."

I beg to differ. I have found women's MMA to be really exciting, intense and creative in the last couple of years. My favorite Strikeforce event was an all-women tournament show. Invicta FC's all-women MMA show a month or so ago was flat-out excellent. One fighter out of 14 matches came in out-of-shape and not ready to give a great performance. When was the last time you could say the same about an all-male MMA show?

Invicta FC's next show will be sometime in January - I strongly encourage anybody that wants to see GREAT MMA action to check out that show - their events are in Kansas City, but they stream their shows life for free on their website.

They'll be putting on a number of shows this next year. It will be interesting to see how committed UFC will be to showcasing their new women's division. This could be a breakthrough year for women's MMA if the fighters perform like they have been in their best matches over the last couple of years.