PDA

View Full Version : Most underused superstar in TNA's history

Peter Kaymakcian
11-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Is it Jay Lethal, Eric Young, "The Pope" D'Angelo Dinero, or Alex Shelley?

I personally believe that the answer to this question has to be "The Pope" simply based on the fact that out of all these guys he is the most charismatic among them. He is also on par if not better then these guys in the ring, I'm not gonna say definitely better because all of these guys are great in the ring. But the fact is that "The Pope" is the best superstar on the TNA roster to never win a championship in TNA. The fact that this man has never been a champion in TNA is a complete misuse of talent. Imagine what this man could do for the X-Division or the Television Championship? Samoa Joe is doing a great job, but before Joe the title has been a whose who of unimpressive champions. Booker was forgettable, AJ I had to wikipedia who won, Nash, Foley, Eric Young, Rob Terry, AJ Styles, and then a list of people not even worth mentioning. In that long list of nobodies your telling me "The Pope" who was doing nothing couldn't bring credibility to that title? I do think though that these other three guys all should've been given a legitimate shot at the TNA title because they were all victims of TNA's crap booking from there time in the company especially Lethal and Shelley.

magglis
11-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Daniels and Lethal.Daniels should have been at least 2 or 3 times world champion

Dubs
11-05-2012, 11:53 AM
I voted for Eric Young. I have expressed many times how he has been the most underused wrestler in TNA for a long time now and my opinion has still stayed the same since.

I love his comedy stuff and he is great as a comedic relief but he can be used so much more than how he is currently being used. Hes great in the ring and great on the mic to be taken seriously as a competitor in TNA but he keeps getting booked as a comedic relief which can get a tad bit stale. He has proven that he can be taken as a serious competitor and has shown potential of being a future main eventer on a couple of occasions so I don't see why they keep giving him the same comedy relief gimmick.

For instance, his heel turn back in 2009. He shaved his head and transformed into a whole new person, wanting the fans and TNA management to take him seriously. Then, he formed a faction called World Elite consisting of wrestlers like the British Invasion who represented the U.K, Kiyoshi who represented Japan, Homicide who represented Puerto Rico, Sheik Abdul Bashir (Davari) who represented Iran, and Eric Young himself who represented Canada which could have been the biggest heel faction in wrestling at the time but they were broken apart for reason I really don't know. Anyways, this is the time where Eric Youn was cutting a lot of amazing heel promos and gotten a lot of heel heat from the fans. This lead him to work with Kurt Angle in a tag match and even get Kevin Nash as his bodyguard. I thought that Young was finally going to get his due as a main eventer in TNA but nope, he gets put in a comedy tag team with Orlando Jordan.

Eric Young showed a lot of potential at that time. I seriously do not know why they didn't keep him as a heel.

Robareid
11-05-2012, 11:58 AM
I voted for Eric Young. I have expressed many times how he has been the most underused wrestler in TNA for a long time now and my opinion has still stayed the same since.

I love his comedy stuff and he is great as a comedic relief but he can be used so much more than how he is currently being used. Hes great in the ring and great on the mic to be taken seriously as a competitor in TNA but he keeps getting booked as a comedic relief which can get a tad bit stale. He has proven that he can be taken as a serious competitor and has shown potential of being a future main eventer on a couple of occasions so I don't see why they keep giving him the same comedy relief gimmick.

For instance, his heel turn back in 2009. He shaved his head and transformed into a whole new person, wanting the fans and TNA management to take him seriously. Then, he formed a faction called World Elite consisting of wrestlers like the British Invasion who represented the U.K, Kiyoshi who represented Japan, Homicide who represented Puerto Rico, Sheik Abdul Bashir (Davari) who represented Iran, and Eric Young himself who represented Canada which could have been the biggest heel faction in wrestling at the time but they were broken apart for reason I really don't know. Anyways, this is the time where Eric Youn was cutting a lot of amazing heel promos and gotten a lot of heel heat from the fans. This lead him to work with Kurt Angle in a tag match and even get Kevin Nash as his bodyguard. I thought that Young was finally going to get his due as a main eventer in TNA but nope, he gets put in a comedy tag team with Orlando Jordan.

Eric Young showed a lot of potential at that time. I seriously do not know why they didn't keep him as a heel.

This. EY in my opinion has more talent than Roode, and I love Roode

magglis
11-05-2012, 12:03 PM

Even when he feuded MEM as a face and he won the x-division title,he was really good at that point of time

Dubs
11-05-2012, 12:45 PM
This. EY in my opinion has more talent than Roode, and I love Roode
I have to agree. Roode is the best heel right now in TNA but I can see Eric Young out-shinning him in that department.

Even when he feuded MEM as a face and he won the x-division title,he was really good at that point of time
Oh yeah. He showed a lot of potential when he feuded with Main Event Mafia as well. I remember him and Alex Shelly having a solid match for the X-Division title. Would love to see him compete more in the X-Division these days.

Sahu
11-05-2012, 01:00 PM

Even I have voted for EY..he's surely a great heel...but I loved him as a face n I enjoyed him a lot when he feuded MEM...he's a very very talented guy....I think he's been grossly misused....

Sahu
11-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Daniels and Lethal.Daniels should have been at least 2 or 3 times world champion

I agree with this....Had TNA saved those meaningless WHC reigns of Anderson/RVD/Hardy's earlier reigns...Daniels might have got at least one...

Sicksnuff17
11-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Im going with someone not on the poll.. Sharkboy

Cabers
11-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Eric Young without a doubt he is fantastic and know he might be leaving.

Notey
11-05-2012, 05:02 PM
None of the above. Amazing Red should be on the list, In the early days he was the man! He still is though. He has had x div title runs but he could have and should have had many more. I mean this guy got me interested in wrestling, he was amazing hence his name. He really could have been the face of the x division, why he got released I will never know

Peter Kaymakcian
11-05-2012, 05:16 PM
None of the above. Amazing Red should be on the list, In the early days he was the man! He still is though. He has had x div title runs but he could have and should have had many more. I mean this guy got me interested in wrestling, he was amazing hence his name. He really could have been the face of the x division, why he got released I will never know

Amazing Red didn't have the charisma and sheer magnetism that these guys had. Could Red do a great spot here and there? Yeah, but he didn't have the charisma to hold his own on the mic.

AWrestlingGod
11-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Jay Lethal he had the crowd behind him when he feuded with Ric Flair, it should have been him vs Flair at Bound For Glory to get him over, He should have won the World Title.

But Kazarian is very underused he should be main eventing TNA along with Daniels, Joe, and Styles

Tommy Thunder
11-05-2012, 07:34 PM
From the guys on the poll, I'd say it's a tough one to choose between Lethal, EY and Pope. From what I've seen (and I stress that since I don't watch much TNA), Shelley isn't as good as the other 3 when it comes to cutting a promo.
I plumped for Lethal in the end. Loved his work as 'Black Machismo' and when he was feuding with Flair. TNA made a bit mistake in letting him go.

alcrissam
11-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Not to mention the last time we saw pope, they put him in a shitty storyline over Devon's kids. Pope is definitely #1

ljd90
11-05-2012, 11:42 PM
cm punk anyone?

Nexus n' Eights
11-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Christopher Daniels is the greatest wrestler to have never held a world title

Nexus n' Eights
11-07-2012, 09:51 AM
what about Petey Williams??

But definately,the clear number one,The Alpha Male,Monty Brown

Grind_Bastard
11-07-2012, 09:46 PM
From the poll ones, it's either Lethal and Pope. Others none on the list, Daniels and Joe.

Tommy Thunder
11-07-2012, 09:50 PM

Amazing Red is a fantastic high flying wrestler, one of the best if not the best in the world.
But can he cut a promo? Does he have charisma? No. Hence why he isn't on this list.

He's had a wWE tryout though, I hope they'll use him when they start up that cruiserweight show on the WWE Network.

TheGreatOne
11-08-2012, 09:25 PM
EY has had his moments with World Elite, wedding with ODB, team Canada, your fired, feud with Roode, and I could go on. EY has had big moment in TNA compared to the rest you mentioned. Jay Lethal accomplished a lot winning tag gold, X-Division title multiple times. What was left? World title which many in TNA obviously didn't believe in him. Biggest moment by far was defeating Kurt Angle at Turning Point in 07. Kurt's fav match in TNA he said on his DVD. Pope again has his moments, but not as many as the 2 as I mentioned above, but he did have world title matches and have success. If you ask me, I'd say Alex Shelley. Alex Shelley to my knowledge has never won the X-Division title during his time in TNA. He has had some good moments video taping Sting 2 straight years for Jarrett and Kurt. Sidekick of Nash and winning tag titles with MCMG. Where is the individual success has he really had? I was wanting him to beat Aries last year when he returned.

Nexus n' Eights
11-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Lance Hoyt