PDA

View Full Version : Ovw

HCollins-TNA1
10-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Frank Miller, Director of operations for OVW tweeted the following announcement adding some credence to the rumors that SpikeTV is indeed going to be airing a show based on OVW, TNA's developmental territory. Miller tweeted the following (https://twitter.com/Frank_TPT):

"Come out to Ovw tomorrow oct 24th. Spike tv will be there filming a new show you don't want to miss and your truly will be on it !"

Seen this on another site if so this can help get some stars known before they go to TNA...

Automatic
10-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Bad idea if they are going to show the developmental guys.

HCollins-TNA1
10-24-2012, 09:48 AM
But good idea to expose them to a national audience....

Automatic
10-24-2012, 09:49 AM
But good idea to expose them to a national audience....

No, that's a bad idea.

Tommy Thunder
10-24-2012, 09:53 AM

No, that's a bad idea.

Care to elaborate on why you think it's a bad idea?

HCollins-TNA1
10-24-2012, 09:55 AM
No, that's a bad idea.

You say bad idea... I say good.... It also help OVW in growth....
Look at other companies who had a healthy TV deal in the past... SMW how it expanded... Then ECW also the same as it grew in the 90s....

Automatic
10-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Care to elaborate on why you think it's a bad idea?

Ofcourse. The reason guys, in theory, are in developmental is because they aren't ready for the main roster. Whether that is wrestling-wise or character-wise. So that means you're exposing guys who aren't ready to the national audience already, while they still need to debut for TNA. So if you got a guy who is on that OVW show and is absolutely dirt worst, but after that show is finished improves tremedously, the audience will have prejudices. So when he actually debuts, it will work against him for a while and you'll never know if that will impact his push.
If that show is a one-off show or some show about OVW itself and less focus on the individuals then there is no problem though.

Tommy Thunder
10-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Ofcourse. The reason guys, in theory, are in developmental is because they aren't ready for the main roster. Whether that is wrestling-wise or character-wise. So that means you're exposing guys who aren't ready to the national audience already, while they still need to debut for TNA. So if you got a guy who is on that OVW show and is absolutely dirt worst, but after that show is finished improves tremedously, the audience will have prejudices. So when he actually debuts, it will work against him for a while and you'll never know if that will impact his push.
If that show is a one-off show or some show about OVW itself and less focus on the individuals then there is no problem though.

To counter that, I'd say that it works for WWE with NXT.
NXT is televised to a small audience, and Imo, that motivates the talents to step up their training because they know that they're being exposed to at least a small amount of people.
That's just my take on it though. It has pros and cons for sure.

Automatic
10-24-2012, 10:27 AM
To counter that, I'd say that it works for WWE with NXT.
NXT is televised to a small audience, and Imo, that motivates the talents to step up their training because they know that they're being exposed to at least a small amount of people.
That's just my take on it though. It has pros and cons for sure.

Yes, with the important difference that NXT is not being broadcast nationally. That's the perfect way of doing it.

Cabers
10-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Guys your all wrong its for TNA's rip off of tough enough they have 4 wrestlers from england in ovw atm.

These include Rockstar Spud, the Blossom Twins and some other guy!

Tommy Thunder
10-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Yes, with the important difference that NXT is not being broadcast nationally. That's the perfect way of doing it.

Exactly. I think exposing or televising your developmental show to a small audience like WWE are doing with NXT is fine. I don't think that a developmental show should be televised nationally. That just defeats the object of developmental.

Tommy Thunder
10-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Guys your all wrong its for TNA's rip off of tough enough they have 4 wrestlers from england in ovw atm.

These include Rockstar Spud, the Blossom Twins and some other guy!

The Blossom Twins are :o

TheJosephBanks
10-24-2012, 11:06 AM
So.. what happens if OVW outdraws Impact?

TheRealOutlaw
10-24-2012, 01:34 PM
Bad idea because it gives Vince and WWE a chance to scope out and buy out TNA's devlopmental talent and bring them to WWE.

Xpacfan
10-24-2012, 03:04 PM

Seems like anything that says TNA on it is "automatically" bad to you...

Automatic
10-24-2012, 03:07 PM
Seems like anything that says TNA on it is "automatically" bad to you...

Well, if they keep churning out bad ideas, I have to 'automatically' say it's bad.
But I have a feeling you suspect me of prejudice.

Xpacfan
10-24-2012, 03:16 PM
Well, if they keep churning out bad ideas, I have to 'automatically' say it's bad.
But I have a feeling you suspect me of prejudice.

Then you are absoultely right. Like I said, it only appears to be bad because TNA is doing it...

No mention of the success WWE has had with Tough Enough and NXT. And btw, NXT was originally brodcasted nationally. By making it a web series, they have now actually made it available internationally. So the difference you are stating is moot.

TheJosephBanks
10-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Someone posted(and I'm currently looking for a source), that the cameras are for a 2-hour special on King Mo's training.

Automatic
10-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Then you are absoultely right. Like I said, it only appears to be bad because TNA is doing it...

No mention of the success WWE has had with Tough Enough and NXT. And btw, NXT was originally brodcasted nationally. By making it a web series, they have now actually made it available internationally. So the difference you are stating is moot.

I don't care whether it's TNA or WWE to be fair.
Yeah, the succes WWE had with Tough Enough is non-existant. You can debate other participants, but if you just look at the winners, it was a useless show.
NXT is almost the same story, but we at least had 1 impactfull winner, but that show had just an awful, awful format to begin with.
It looked good on the surface, but those 'comedy' or entertainment challenges really fucked up that show.
And yes, NXT is a internationally available show, but not because it's a web series, because it's only available on Hulu and that's an US only site and to actually watch it you have to shell out 7 or 8 dollars per month and I don't think millions of people have recently made an Hulu plus account, so the reach of that show in the US is almost non-existant.
It is also available internationally on TV, but that doesn't matter, because the only country that is really important for the WWE is the USA. All the other countries are just an extra income of rights fees.

YOUcanCALLmeCRACK
10-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Why put OVW on TV? Wouldn't it make more sense to, well I don't know, give that spot to TNA for another show?

Since I am a gambling man, I would say this is probably going to be less of a wrestling show and more of a behind-the-scenes reality show. As long as it is not botch city, it could work in TNA's favor. You have a chance to connect with these younger guy before they go up to TNA. Mr. Pect-whatever could have used some screen time before he came out to crickets at BFG.

Xpacfan
10-24-2012, 04:27 PM
I don't care whether it's TNA or WWE to be fair.
Yeah, the succes WWE had with Tough Enough is non-existant. You can debate other participants, but if you just look at the winners, it was a useless show.
NXT is almost the same story, but we at least had 1 impactfull winner, but that show had just an awful, awful format to begin with.
It looked good on the surface, but those 'comedy' or entertainment challenges really fucked up that show.
And yes, NXT is a internationally available show, but not because it's a web series, because it's only available on Hulu and that's an US only site and to actually watch it you have to shell out 7 or 8 dollars per month and I don't think millions of people have recently made an Hulu plus account, so the reach of that show in the US is almost non-existant.
It is also available internationally on TV, but that doesn't matter, because the only country that is really important for the WWE is the USA. All the other countries are just an extra income of rights fees.

John Morrison says hello. And that's a rather mindless arguement...if anything it just proves that only a select few actually make in the industry. Also, TNA is a different company than WWE, so who's to say that they couldn't turnout stars with a minor league program? Tough Enough and NXT were competitions...there was no mention of that with OVW.

Um, but we're not just talking about Hulu...its available on the web by other means as well.

Did you really just say all the other countries' viewership doesn't matter?! Oh boy...lets forget about the advantages of being a MNC and that the euro is worth more than the american dollar!

Why put OVW on TV? Wouldn't it make more sense to, well I don't know, give that spot to TNA for another show?

Since I am a gambling man, I would say this is probably going to be less of a wrestling show and more of a behind-the-scenes reality show. As long as it is not botch city, it could work in TNA's favor. You have a chance to connect with these younger guy before they go up to TNA. Mr. Pect-whatever could have used some screen time before he came out to crickets at BFG.

Good arguement

btw..."RESPECT THE WARRIORS!!!"

Automatic
10-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Miz, John Morrison, Melina, Matt Morgan, and Kenny King says hello.

Again...NXT: Wade Barrett, Ryback, and AJ would like a word with you.

If you read what I fucking posted, you would have read that I was only commenting on the winners of that shows.

Miz has been pretty succesfull so far, Morisson is gone, Melina is gone, Morgan is gone, King was never even in the WWE. Neither of them are huge stars. All of them are mid-carders, and will probably stay a mid-carder in WWE except The Miz, who is the only one still there.

Yes, Barrett has some succes there and can be a main eventer for years. He was the exception from TE and NXT. Ryback is doing ok now, we have to wait to see what happens, because he has just started his career. Didn't win TE though. AJ is the same story, she has just started her career. Who knows what they will be doing with her, but I would certainly not call her a succes from NXT, which she didn't won.

If you consider what TE and NXT brought to the WWE, it is not much. Maybe 3 main eventers and a bunch of mid-carders, but at least they got the rights fees from the shows though.

Um, but we're not just talking about Hulu...its available on the web by other means as well.

What you mean illegally downloading? How the fuck is that going to matter? Only hardcores download NXT illegally, so that means nothing in the big picture.

Did you really just say all the other countries' viewership doesn't matter?! Oh boy...lets forget about the advantages of being a MNC and that the euro is worth more than the american dollar.

The majority of the revenue comes from the USA, that will always be the case so it doesn't matter whether they have TV in Europe, it's just extra income.
You can probably substract the revenue outside North America and the WWE will survive. Substract the revenue from North America and the WWE will have to downsize considerably.
And it means absolutely nothing that the euro is more worth than the dollar.

lewism173
10-24-2012, 05:05 PM
everyone you know what this means , Cliff motherfucking Compton on tv YES! YES! YES!

lewism173
10-24-2012, 05:08 PM
If you read what I fucking posted, you would have read that I was only commenting on the winners of that shows.

Miz has been pretty succesfull so far, Morisson is gone, Melina is gone, Morgan is gone, King was never even in the WWE. Neither of them are huge stars. All of them are mid-carders, and will probably stay a mid-carder in WWE except The Miz, who is the only one still there.

Yes, Barrett has some succes there and can be a main eventer for years. He was the exception from TE and NXT. Ryback is doing ok now, we have to wait to see what happens, because he has just started his career. Didn't win TE though. AJ is the same story, she has just started her career. Who knows what they will be doing with her, but I would certainly not call her a succes from NXT, which she didn't won.

If you consider what TE and NXT brought to the WWE, it is not much. Maybe 3 main eventers and a bunch of mid-carders, but at least they got the rights fees from the shows though.

What you mean illegally downloading? How the fuck is that going to matter? Only hardcores download NXT illegally, so that means nothing in the big picture.

The majority of the revenue comes from the USA, that will always be the case so it doesn't matter whether they have TV in Europe, it's just extra income.
You can probably substract the revenue outside North America and the WWE will survive. Substract the revenue from North America and the WWE will have to downsize considerably.
And it means absolutely nothing that the euro is more worth than the dollar.
Only hardcores download nxt ? no sir most of us just watch it on youtube or daily motion

HCollins-TNA1
10-24-2012, 06:13 PM
Some of you got to remember many of regional Indy companies that WWF was pretty much involved with in the 1990s.... As I said Smokey Mountain had a good healthy sydicated TV deal, was basically a place where WWF/E got most of their talent in the 1990s....

You got to expose the talent to the nation somehow, or they will be unknown for the most... Except for those who lives near the promotion, or follow the promotion....

Automatic
10-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Only hardcores download nxt ? no sir most of us just watch it on youtube or daily motion

How you watch it doesn't matter, you're still a hardcore.

Darkside Ron Garvin
10-24-2012, 09:22 PM

No, I'M HARDCORE!!!

Sorry, but that just made me think of Tommy Dreamer.

Auto, while I understand what points you are trying to get across, I will gladly disagree that it would be a "bad thing" to expose some talent in OVW. I think you said it best when you stated that

show about OVW itself and less focus on the individuals then there is no problem though

I don't think this should be a show to "promote" one or two wrestlers (say only Mr. Pec and Cliff), but rather a show to promote the OWV and it's talent as a whole. If anything, it will give TNA a platform to work on ideas for a second show as well as see which of these guys are ready for a bit of larger media coverage. As long as it focuses on OVW though, I am all for it.

The Sneakiness
10-25-2012, 01:21 AM
*epic snip*

Got nothing to say on the matter but that your sig pic is the epic of epicness.

Darkside Ron Garvin
10-25-2012, 01:46 AM
Got nothing to say on the matter but that your sig pic is the epic of epicness.

Credit to the one that is Robstar. He gets the glory for this one.

Marx
10-25-2012, 03:54 AM
Like I said, it only appears to be bad because TNA is doing it...

I like TNA, been watching it for years. And I still think this is a bad idea. Why is airing OVW a bad idea? (In my eyes)

WWE has the funds to produce NXT. The NXT-facility is just a tad bit smaller than the Impact Zone. Their cameracrew is large and well equiped. They splash cash and effort on montages and promofilms (remember Bray Wyatt's film?). The NXT-trainers are top notch. The talent pool is bigger, and further along in their career. No matter how young and rash Bo Rotunda is, Kassius Ohno can help him out. Almost all matches on NXT are between a (relatively) veteran guy and a younger dude. And although they produce a show, I still think it's just an exercise. They are testing the talent and have the money to do that.

I just watched an episode on ovwwrestling.com. The facility is a glorified gym, entrance ramp is 10 feet long. The sound (and color commentating) aren't that good. The camera angle is mostly fixed in the centre, with one or two guys walking around. That's not enough to film a 8 man tag match and make it look good. The wrestling was okay.. TNA can always give WWE a run for their money wrestlingwise, so can OVW / NXT.
But making a tv-show is more than wrestling, it has to have a certain production value to be a valid televised mainstream show. I don't think it's worth the investment TNA has to make, and they would have to invest because the product bears their name. I don't think they have the money, don't think it's a wise investment if they do, because if they have money to spend: produce a few live shows outside of the impact zone, raid some talent from the indies.. I don't think OVW will provide enough return on the investment.

Cabers
10-25-2012, 04:53 AM
Or for those like myself who aren't living in the US just watch OVW online maybe?

http://www.ovwrestling.com/tv

The Internet is a wonderful thing use it wisely!!

lewism173
10-25-2012, 05:57 AM
If I'm a hardcore then you're saying any wrestling fan who likes to watch wrestling on youtube etc every now and again is a hardcore

Automatic
10-25-2012, 06:48 AM
If I'm a hardcore then you're saying any wrestling fan who likes to watch wrestling on youtube etc every now and again is a hardcore

Jesus fucking christ. We were talking about fucking NXT right? What the fuck has that to do with the fan who likes to watch every now and then.

lewism173
10-25-2012, 07:06 AM
Jesus fucking christ. We were talking about fucking NXT right? What the fuck has that to do with the fan who likes to watch every now and then.
No you said if a fan watches NXT on youtube or some where else on the internet there hardocores and I'm asking if you're saying if you watch wrestling online that makes you a hardcore. If you are trying to make it out that I'm just saying random stuff I'm not I have no idea how you aren't following what I said.

Also I think we could also understand what you're saying without using the words "fucking " or "fuck"

Automatic
10-25-2012, 07:51 AM
No you said if a fan watches NXT on youtube or some where else on the internet there hardocores and I'm asking if you're saying if you watch wrestling online that makes you a hardcore.

If you watch the shows you are a hardcore fan.

lewism173
10-25-2012, 08:30 AM
If you watch the shows you are a hardcore fan.
how am I hardcore fan for watching a show, we both clearly have different ideas of what makes a hardcore fan , although I have never heard someone have the same opinion as you'res

Automatic
10-25-2012, 08:40 AM
how am I hardcore fan for watching a show, we both clearly have different ideas of what makes a hardcore fan , although I have never heard someone have the same opinion as you'res

It's because you go out of your way to watch the show, which makes you a hardcore fan. A casual fan will watch, but if he/she misses an episode, isn't going on youtube to watch that episode, but is just going to wait for the next one.

lewism173
10-25-2012, 08:46 AM
It's because you go out of your way to watch the show, which makes you a hardcore fan. A casual fan will watch, but if he/she misses an episode, isn't going on youtube to watch that episode, but is just going to wait for the next one.
it's not hard to type in "nxt whatever date" on youtube , there is still a huge difference in casual fan and hardcore, there's the fan in the middle that will watch an episode on youtube

Automatic
10-25-2012, 09:16 AM
it's not hard to type in "nxt whatever date" on youtube , there is still a huge difference in casual fan and hardcore, there's the fan in the middle that will watch an episode on youtube

But aren't they still going out of their way to watch that episode?
So, there are fans who will randomly watch a WHOLE episode of NXT, just for the fun of it? I find that very hard to believe, it's not like NXT is a critically acclaimed show, and chances are, that if they do that, they are probably hardcore fans.

But just for the record, what is you definition of a hardcore fan? And what is this fan in the middle, between a hardcore fan and a casual fan? Can you give me a definition of that too?

lewism173
10-25-2012, 09:21 AM
So, there are fans who will randomly watch a WHOLE episode of NXT, just for the fun of it? I find that very hard to believe, it's not like NXT is a critically acclaimed show, and chances are, that if they do that, they are probably hardcore fans.

But just for the record, what is you definition of a hardcore fan? And what is this fan in the middle, between a hardcore fan and a casual fan? Can you give me a definition of that too?

I would say a hardcore fan would watch many wrestling shows, pay for every one, always start forums about smaller shows , go back and watch episodes again, travel a fair distance to go to a nxt or ovw or even just a signing .In the middle would be a lot of the people on this site, knows a lot about the product, speaks about it regularly. But wouldn't go out of there way to go to an NXT taping, or won't buy every ppv, and also will miss a raw for example.

Automatic
10-25-2012, 09:35 AM
I would say a hardcore fan would watch many wrestling shows, pay for every one, always start forums about smaller shows , go back and watch episodes again, travel a fair distance to go to a nxt or ovw or even just a signing .In the middle would be a lot of the people on this site, knows a lot about the product, speaks about it regularly. But wouldn't go out of there way to go to an NXT taping, or won't buy every ppv, and also will miss a raw for example.

I see, your definition of a hardcore is smaller then my definition. I look at it on a grander scale. I just call both groups hardcore fans.
But man, your hardcore fan is almost completely filling his day and spending his money with wrestling. That's a really small group.

lewism173
10-25-2012, 02:59 PM
seems like it's for king mo.....damn

Cabers
10-25-2012, 03:38 PM
seems like it's for king mo.....damn

I am seriously disappointed as well! As long as other guys like Chris Silvio & Johnny Spade are featured on it as well i will watch!

Darkside Ron Garvin
10-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Also I think we could also understand what you're saying without using the words "fucking " or "fuck"

Yeah Auto! What the fuck are you fucking doing fucking around with the fucking curse words like fuck in your fucking response, you fuck! Fuck you, you fuck; that, fucking is not fucking cool! Fuck! :rolleyes: (Sorry, being an adult, using curse words doesn't bother me, as long as the response has a point that is made. It's rants like the one above that I think are the ones that people could make without the curse words.)

This I disagree with. I know a lot of fans who are "casual" by nature in that they don't watch every week and they do not run to the ticket vendor everytime WWE comes to town, let alone any other federation. They are people who randomly get that wild hair and plug in the "NXT" in the search bar. The reason why is simple. They watch for the physicality and move sets that you see on NXT that are not the "common" moves witnessed on the major shows. Of course, these friends could very well be the exception and not the rule, but they were the fans who would watch WCW for the cruiser matches and turn it off when the main "stars" would come on... Same with the X division in early TNA, but have gotten away from Impact in the past few years. The point that I am making is that there are "non-hardcore" fans who search out matches and not shows. When they hear of solid matches on shows outside of WWE/TNA, they will search for that specific wrestler. It was because of fans like these, who look for matches alone, that I learned of PAC, Sami Callihan, and Jon Moxley.

I see, your definition of a hardcore is smaller then my definition. I look at it on a grander scale. I just call both groups hardcore fans.
But man, your hardcore fan is almost completely filling his day and spending his money with wrestling. That's a really small group.

Completely agree. I haven't found a wrestling fan that spends all day, everyday watching matches. Wrestlers themselves, who study tape, don't even spend this much time with it. These would be called "Obsessed Fans". Personally, a hardcore fan to me is someone who will take the time to come to sites like this and have in-depth conversations about what a hardcore fan really is.:rolleyes:

Automatic
10-25-2012, 08:49 PM
This I disagree with. I know a lot of fans who are "casual" by nature in that they don't watch every week and they do not run to the ticket vendor everytime WWE comes to town, let alone any other federation. They are people who randomly get that wild hair and plug in the "NXT" in the search bar. The reason why is simple. They watch for the physicality and move sets that you see on NXT that are not the "common" moves witnessed on the major shows. Of course, these friends could very well be the exception and not the rule, but they were the fans who would watch WCW for the cruiser matches and turn it off when the main "stars" would come on... Same with the X division in early TNA, but have gotten away from Impact in the past few years. The point that I am making is that there are "non-hardcore" fans who search out matches and not shows. When they hear of solid matches on shows outside of WWE/TNA, they will search for that specific wrestler. It was because of fans like these, who look for matches alone, that I learned of PAC, Sami Callihan, and Jon Moxley.

But the difference is that they aren't just randomly watching the whole show. I was talking about the fans who watch a whole show, they are watching a match, or a portion of the show because it was recommended.

Darkside Ron Garvin
10-26-2012, 08:15 PM
But the difference is that they aren't just randomly watching the whole show. I was talking about the fans who watch a whole show, they are watching a match, or a portion of the show because it was recommended.

This makes sense as to it appealing more to just a "casual" fan, but if you were told "watch this match between X and Y" and see that they are wrestling for something called NXT, CZW, JAPW, ROH, or whatever, wouldn't you look further into that promotion? I caught Sonjay Dutt vs. Matt Cross wrestling for CZW and it got me into looking more at CZW just out of the curious itch I felt after watching such a great match. Same with Evolve after Aries/Moxley. I am not saying you're wrong in what you are saying, but I am just bringing up the fact that these "match only" watches could potentially become followers if the said match strikes your fancy. It was great matches that got people to pay attention to IWA-MS.