PDA

View Full Version : TNA Rating Issues

matt1tude
10-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Hey y'all. every week when I see the Impact rating and how it dips and peaks at quite a low mark it makes me think what what are they doing wrong. I mean the shows have been stellar since the summer. Many people used to say because its taped, they changed it to live and its seemed to get worse. Others say its because they don't go on the road and to a degree that is true and if they went on the road would that change the ratings? the answer is maybe only slightly.

The main problem TNA has imo is their day and time slot. Moving to 8pm was a huge mistake, they were doing better in the 9pm slot. What TNA needs to do is look at the ratings of all channels during the entire week and pick a day and a prime time slot that is pretty much empty of quality programming and see if spike will let them have it. I'm sure you guys in the states would know what slot TNA would do better in. Here in the UK TNA does well, and granted it is because it is on freeveiw, but with being on a Sunday at 9pm that slot is pretty much dead imo. The PPV's are shown on a Wednesday at 10pm which is a decent slot, only downside to it is that Challenge shows adverts which extends the PPV to 4hours so ending at 2am may hurt it to a degree.

What do you guys reckon?

Automatic
10-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Their shows aren´t good anymore. They were really good from May till July and from then the quality gradually began to decline.

But it is actually really simple. Something isn´t clicking.
I suppose it´s the Aces and 8´s angle, since that´s the hardest pushed angle on the show.
It could also be that Aries wasn´t clicking with the TV audience. Although you would think that ratings would increase now with Hardy as champion, so we have to wait a few weeks for that to be determined.

YOUcanCALLmeCRACK
10-20-2012, 05:05 PM
TNA has a "ratings problem" when you compare it to WWE's. People need to stop comparing TNA to WWE and vice versa. WWE is on a level that would take TNA ten years to achieve half.

TNA's ratings are consistent and tops any other show on Spike.

To somewhat answer you question, in order for TNA's ratings to improve it will take another boom period in wrestling. Right now TNA has about 25-33% of wrestling fans watching it live. If there are more wrestling fans, than that 25-33% will account for more people. By staying strong with creative and booking they will win back many of the fans they lost in the past, but that number will never hit over a 1.5 unless WWE starts getting back in the 4.5-5.0 range.

#BITW
10-20-2012, 05:08 PM
since when does a selected group for recorded viewing habits indicate they are doing bad? ratings have less meaning than shit in my toilet.

YOUcanCALLmeCRACK
10-20-2012, 05:21 PM
since when does a selected group for recorded viewing habits indicate they are doing bad? ratings have less meaning than shit in my toilet.

I wouldn't go that far. These ratings, though you could question the validity of them, makes or breaks TV shows and networks. The different between a 1.0 and 2.0 are million in ad revenue.

matt1tude
10-20-2012, 05:24 PM

I actually agree with you on that. It just seems like every where you look its rating this, ratings that. But like the guy above me said rating make or break a show.

Maybe the problem is that wrestling in general is on a huge down turn. I mean look at the Raw ratings recently they're almost down to Smackdown level viewership.

I personally don't think what they are doing on the show or the fact they are in the Impact Zone week after week is the biggest problem. Every time I read these damn ratings almost every time its said they are competing against some bloody sports game. They need to get researching on what day and time doesn't have a sports game or any other ratings draw program.

Automatic
10-20-2012, 05:55 PM
TNA has a "ratings problem" when you compare it to WWE's. People need to stop comparing TNA to WWE and vice versa. WWE is on a level that would take TNA ten years to achieve half.

TNA's ratings are consistent and tops any other show on Spike.

[b]To somewhat answer you question, in order for TNA's ratings to improve it will take another boom period in wrestling.[/b

Huh?
You are the one who makes the comparison with WWE?
The OP never mentioned WWE, nor did he indicated to them.

Anyway that bolded line is bullshit.
You don't need a boom period to improve ratings. You can still grow to a certain point, but if you want to expand beyond that point, you need something that gets really hot and clicks with the audience and that also doesn't neccesarily means you are booming straight away.
Because you also need the marketingmachine to let people know you've got something really interesting.
But back to topic, there are at least 5 million fans in the USA that actively follow wrestling, so why not try to get their attention?

And let's not forget that TNA has a horrible history that will probably take an equal amount of years to overcome.

magglis
10-20-2012, 06:28 PM
TNA Sets A Record In The UK + Update On iMPACT! & More (http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/10604/tna-sets-a-record-in-the-uk-update-on-impact-more):rolleyes:

YOUcanCALLmeCRACK
10-20-2012, 06:32 PM
Huh?
You are the one who makes the comparison with WWE?
The OP never mentioned WWE, nor did he indicated to them.

TNA ratings have been the same they have always been - 0.8 to 1.2. I said there is no ratings problems unless you are one of those that compare them to WWE (and because they are lower does not make them a problem).

You can still grow to a certain point, but if you want to expand beyond that point, you need something that gets really hot and clicks with the audience and that also doesn't neccesarily means you are booming straight away.

I am saying TNA is at the point. I don't think are are able to convert, if you will, a significant amount of WWE's current watchers into WWE and TNA or a purely TNA watcher. Many of their fans a casual meaning that they follow wrestling to a point or too young right now. WWE has an insane loyalty in their fanbase. This is why I believe TNA needs a large pool of wrestling fans to attract a significant amount of viewers (i.e. a "boom").

Because you also need the marketingmachine to let people know you've got something really interesting.
But back to topic, there are at least 5 million fans in the USA that actively follow wrestling, so why not try to get their attention?

A couple of things here:
1) TNA does not have the millions needed for a successful campaign
2) When they do spend, they buy expensive as hell billboards in times square and make other stupid moves
3) I have seen TNA commercials locally in NY city during Raw and that have not done them any good.

And let's not forget that TNA has a horrible history that will probably take an equal amount of years to overcome.

I touched on this in my initial post. I don't think TNA has pissed off that many viewers to increase their ratings.

YOUcanCALLmeCRACK
10-20-2012, 06:35 PM
TNA Sets A Record In The UK + Update On iMPACT! & More (http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/10604/tna-sets-a-record-in-the-uk-update-on-impact-more):rolleyes:

Good for TNA! Hopefully they give our friends in the UK a PPV.

Lockdown 2013 in the UK would be insane.

matt1tude
10-20-2012, 06:35 PM

Nothing new there lol. We UK fans love TNA even if it is on a free channel.

magglis
10-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Nothing new there lol. We UK fans love TNA even if it is on a free channel.
My points is that in USA ratings are a worry but they are doing really well in other countries

matt1tude
10-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Good for TNA! Hopefully they give our friends in the UK a PPV.

Lockdown 2013 in the UK would be insane.

We in the UK are starved of wrestling. if TNA or WWE for that matter did one of their major PPV's over here it would be an insane turnout. Only problem is the time difference, buy rates would suffer in the states. That's their major concern.

YOUcanCALLmeCRACK
10-20-2012, 06:43 PM
We in the UK are starved of wrestling. if TNA or WWE for that matter did one of their major PPV's over here it would be an insane turnout. Only problem is the time difference, buy rates would suffer in the states. That's their major concern.

Many people stream TNA's PPVs anyway so I don't think it would hurt them very much. Not to mention, if is a great show, maybe people will buy it to see the greatness.

I just love seeing how crazy you guys get. Those Impacts in the UK were great, I can't imagine the intensity for a PPV.

matt1tude
10-20-2012, 06:44 PM
My points is that in USA ratings are a worry but they are doing really well in other countries

Yeah I know, they are a US based company and their biggest concern is ratings in the US. The problem is the US is so over exposed to wresting that it's popularity is in a downfall. Where in other countries who are so starved of wrestling that its popularity is still quite high.

magglis
10-20-2012, 06:47 PM
If you are selling good in other countries its really huge for TNA.TNA is doing a great job paying more attention in other countries like UK and India.I disagree with Auto that the shows are not good anymore.The impact before BFG was really good and this week ratings are up.But its not only TNA having issues with the ratings, wwe has problems too.Maybe US is not that interest in wrestling anymore

matt1tude
10-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Many people stream TNA's PPVs anyway so I don't think it would hurt them very much. Not to mention, if is a great show, maybe people will buy it to see the greatness.

I just love seeing how crazy you guys get. Those Impacts in the UK were great, I can't imagine the intensity for a PPV.

lol I know, I was so proud of my country men to show that kind of support. You should have seen TNA's very first UK tour in '08 I was there, it was absolutely insane. Also being able to hold the then World title was precious moment, it has quite a bit of weight to it.

matt1tude
10-20-2012, 06:58 PM
If you are selling good in other countries its really huge for TNA.TNA is doing a great job paying more attention in other countries like UK and India.I disagree with Auto that the shows are not good anymore.The impact before BFG was really good and this week ratings are up.But its not only TNA having issues with the ratings, wwe has problems too.Maybe US is not that interest in wrestling anymore

I think wrestling is reverting back to the time where its not cool to watch it anymore. MMA is a part of wrestling's downfall, I mean no disrespect to MMA fans but imo its just a blood sport, I dont want to see people get genuinely injured.

magglis
10-20-2012, 07:01 PM
I think wrestling is reverting back to the time where its not cool to watch it anymore. MMA is a part of wrestling's downfall, I mean no disrespect to MMA fans but imo its just a blood sport, I dont want to see people get genuinely injured.
Wrestling stars get injured more often than MMA fighters. MMA fighters usually get injured on training

YOUcanCALLmeCRACK
10-20-2012, 07:11 PM
lol I know, I was so proud of my country men to show that kind of support. You should have seen TNA's very first UK tour in '08 I was there, it was absolutely insane. Also being able to hold the then World title was precious moment, it has quite a bit of weight to it.

If it does happen, they should have Douglas Williams and Magnus win either the tag or better yet, two separate singles belts on the same night.

YOUcanCALLmeCRACK
10-20-2012, 07:13 PM

Agreed with the bold.

As for MMA, there are just too many fighters and too many feds around right now for me to hold my attention. Once the UFC buys them all like the NFL and NBA bought all the other leagues, I think I could be more engaged.

magglis
10-20-2012, 07:13 PM
If it does happen, they should have Douglas Williams and Magnus win either the tag or better yet, two separate singles belts on the same night.
Magnus will win the TV title in UK i'm calling it now

matt1tude
10-20-2012, 07:30 PM

Damn you beat me to it lol.

matt1tude
10-20-2012, 07:42 PM
the thing i have against MMA and boxing for that matter is that they will build up a big match for it to end in the 1st round or in a minute. You feel cheated afterwards like you didnt get your moneys worth. Everytime I think of MMA I think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfwiToFH0hk

Sorry for going off-topic.

Automatic
10-20-2012, 07:49 PM
TNA ratings have been the same they have always been - 0.8 to 1.2. I said there is no ratings problems unless you are one of those that compare them to WWE (and because they are lower does not make them a problem).

TNA was averaging around a 1.2 2 yeas ago. Currently they are hovering between a 0.8 and a 1.0. That's a 20-25% percent drop in average. That's pretty bad. I wouldn't consider that 'the same they have always been'.
Just so it's clear: I never compared WWE and TNA with each other. That wouldn't make any sense.

I am saying TNA is at the point. I don't think are are able to convert, if you will, a significant amount of WWE's current watchers into WWE and TNA or a purely TNA watcher. Many of their fans a casual meaning that they follow wrestling to a point or too young right now. WWE has an insane loyalty in their fanbase. This is why I believe TNA needs a large pool of wrestling fans to attract a significant amount of viewers (i.e. a "boom").

Yes, and there's where you're wrong.
TNA doesn't have to convert WWE fans into TNA fans. There are more than 1 type of wrestling fans where you can attract viewers from. I hope you don't think that the people that watch WWE are 100% of wrestling's fanbase.
There are enough people that don't watch (mainstream) wrestling anymore, but still from time to time watch bits and pieces or keep up to date with the business.
The audience is already here, you just need to interest them.

A couple of things here:
1) TNA does not have the millions needed for a successful campaign
2) When they do spend, they buy expensive as hell billboards in times square and make other stupid moves
3) I have seen TNA commercials locally in NY city during Raw and that have not done them any good.

I know, I was just digressing there.

I don't think TNA has pissed off that many viewers to increase their ratings.
I don't get this? You mean TNA needs to piss people off to increase their ratings?

Iron Ape
10-20-2012, 08:26 PM
TNA is a niche product, and they're likely going to remain a niche product for the foreseeable future, at least here in the states, anyways. And I don't say that as an indictment on the quality of the product, either, as I actually think quality is somewhat irrelevant in regards to their ratings situation. I think their numbers are just more reflective on the current culture's attitude to the more hardcore/specific interest that their organization caters to.

Sahu
10-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Yeah I know, they are a US based company and their biggest concern is ratings in the US. The problem is the US is so over exposed to wresting that it's popularity is in a downfall. Where in other countries who are so starved of wrestling that its popularity is still quite high.

-------------

If you are selling good in other countries its really huge for TNA.TNA is doing a great job paying more attention in other countries like UK and India.
---------

I agree that wrestling fans in other countries are starved of wrestling.....They should do big in those places..if some how TNA can get a fan base in India..they can make profits by selling shit loads of merch...remember India's the second largest populated country...

TNA is not doing much in India..they are on ESPNSTAR in India who have not given a specific time slot to TNA like Tensports have given to WWE...they should move out of ESPNSTAR n should go to some other network may be their trusted Network 18 or I want them to be on Bindass Channel which is targetted for youth n its like real kickass dudes watch that channel...

Ring ka king started off for good ratings but as soon as Indian Premiere League for Cricket started it lost ratings...

But, TNA can do a lot in India..I still remember a couple of years back when Kurt Angle toured India n visited 6cities...along with jay Lethal (Indian Audience do not know much of him except for ppl like me who r huge wrestling fans)...ppl actually paid to see him n only hear him speak...every city was filled with some 1000-1200ppl who paid to have a GLANCE at KURT...remember what would be turn out if Kurt is wrestling??

This is how they have to promote themselves..in India .bring some one like Kurt or RVD or Jeff to India n make them wrestle with TNA's home grown talent like....

Sahu
10-20-2012, 10:27 PM

Let him defend it against some goody goody face after giving a heel promo in India n see how ppl will react to him..:D that would be insane...last time ppl threw garbage on him......TNA has not utilized that n go big in India...

YOUcanCALLmeCRACK
10-21-2012, 08:35 AM
TNA was averaging around a 1.2 2 yeas ago. Currently they are hovering between a 0.8 and a 1.0. That's a 20-25% percent drop in average. That's pretty bad. I wouldn't consider that 'the same they have always been'.
Just so it's clear: I never compared WWE and TNA with each other. That wouldn't make any sense.

Oh I know you never made that comparison. Before I make my counterpoints, obviously everything is in the spirit of debate (I know, it's corny) and I don't want to come across as an asshole or anything like that.

I'll agree with your statement, it was wrong of me to say that they are the same as they have always been. Now we both agree that TNA should not be compared to the E' on many grounds directly but I think the WWE serves as an instrument, if you will, to measure the current environment of mainstream wrestling. TNA's ratings are following a similar pattern of consistent and slight decline on two totally different playing fields.

This is why I claimed that a boom to wrestling would be the best way to raise TNA's ratings. "The rising tide lifts all of the ships" or something like that.

Yes, and there's where you're wrong.
TNA doesn't have to convert WWE fans into TNA fans. There are more than 1 type of wrestling fans where you can attract viewers from. I hope you don't think that the people that watch WWE are 100% of wrestling's fanbase.
There are enough people that don't watch (mainstream) wrestling anymore, but still from time to time watch bits and pieces or keep up to date with the business.
The audience is already here, you just need to interest them.

Of course the WWE fanbase is not 100% of wrestling fans but they are the largest. Not only that, but they enjoy mainstream wrestling. It should be an easier sell to these folks to tune in Thursday nights. As we established, it would take more money than TNA has in order to let these guys know that Thursday nights also offer a quality, at least as of late, product.

Those who are avid fans of Independent and International wrestling pretty much know of TNA and choose not to watch it. Obviously we don't have numbers but my guess is that many of these people are turned off by the product at some point in time (see point below for more). My opinion, and where I think we agree to disagree, is that going for this group is less important than going for the WWE watchers.

I don't get this? You mean TNA needs to piss people off to increase their ratings?

Sorry for not making my point clear. I meant that there are definitely a group of people that have been pissed off at TNA over the last couple of years. It will take strong booking and creative to win them back (and they need to win them back). Even if they win back all 100% of these people, I'm not sure it is a large enough group to make an impact (no pun) on the ratings.

Automatic
10-21-2012, 09:53 AM
Oh I know you never made that comparison. Before I make my counterpoints, obviously everything is in the spirit of debate (I know, it's corny) and I don't want to come across as an asshole or anything like that.

I'll agree with your statement, it was wrong of me to say that they are the same as they have always been. Now we both agree that TNA should not be compared to the E' on many grounds directly but I think the WWE serves as an instrument, if you will, to measure the current environment of mainstream wrestling. TNA's ratings are following a similar pattern of consistent and slight decline on two totally different playing fields.

This is why I claimed that a boom to wrestling would be the best way to raise TNA's ratings. "The rising tide lifts all of the ships" or something like that.

While that quite possibly could be the easiest way to increase ratings, we don't know when a new boom period is going to happen or if it would even mean that TNA would profit from that, because let's face it: A new boom period will probably happen because of WWE.
But I think TNA still hasn't maximized their audience. We don't know how big their maximum audience is, but let's just assume it's around 2 million people(the highest rated Impact had around 2 millon viewers(last year post BFG episode)). Right now they are between 1 - 1.3 million. Enough room to grow if you ask me.[/quote]

Of course the WWE fanbase is not 100% of wrestling fans but they are the largest. Not only that, but they enjoy mainstream wrestling. It should be an easier sell to these folks to tune in Thursday nights. As we established, it would take more money than TNA has in order to let these guys know that Thursday nights also offer a quality, at least as of late, product.

Those who are avid fans of Independent and International wrestling pretty much know of TNA and choose not to watch it. Obviously we don't have numbers but my guess is that many of these people are turned off by the product at some point in time (see point below for more). My opinion, and where I think we agree to disagree, is that going for this group is less important than going for the WWE watchers.

No, you're right that the WWE audience is more important to go after.
I just think, and this is probably TNA's biggest problem, that they are a light version of WWE. I don't know how many people you are going to attract with basically the same television. Especially now WWE is flooding their audience with programming.

Sorry for not making my point clear. I meant that there are definitely a group of people that have been pissed off at TNA over the last couple of years. It will take strong booking and creative to win them back (and they need to win them back). Even if they win back all 100% of these people, I'm not sure it is a large enough group to make an impact (no pun) on the ratings.

You probably need like 3 million viewers minimum to be a good primetime program on cable television. I have absolutely no clue whether TNA can amount to that kind of viewership.

HCollins-TNA1
10-21-2012, 12:09 PM
What lots of you guys haven't mention is the channel itself Spike plays a huge role in the ratings..... Look at what programming they have??? Most only appeals to one certain part of the demographic.... Sure they have some popular show like Ink Masters, Jail, 1000 ways to Die, MMA live, then they going have Bellator debuting in 2013 that appeals to the cross demographics from young to old and men to women.... But they don't draw the ratings....

Then one can look what channel Spike is on, for channel surfing it unlikely one will get to the channel it if channel 40 or 50 something... Now if the channel is in the 20s or 30s it might have more people watching?? Then compare the fan base of each wrestling show on Tv right now.... Raw gets anywhere between 4 to 5 million or so viewers.... Smackdown slightly above 2 million... WWE new show Main Event gets about 1.25 million so far.... About the same as Impact on a good week usually get between 1 and 1.25 million.... then channel availiblity plays a factor one can go stay a week somewhere the hotel or cable provider might not carry Spike.....

What I believe will solve TNAs rating and maybe boost viewership is for Spike to add something to it programming???? Be it Nascar, or WNBA or some sports high light show, or even a popular sitcom or crime drama, just something to appeal to another sect or demographic of viewers??? It no doubt wrestling is struggling with ratings esp this fall so far, not just Impact but Raw and Smackdown as well...

imswm
10-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Not particularly interested in getting into a debate over what could "fix" any promotion, but am compelled to point something out, due to a number of posts that make a similar reference: Where TNA is time-slotted is up to SPIKE. not a matter of Dixie Carter et al going "Hmm, I think we'll be on ___day, at _ pm." They do go to the Spike brass on occasion--since the network picks up some of TNA's tab--and ask for certain shifts, such as the failed move to Mondays, but that's very different from choosing their spot.

Nexus n' Eights
10-22-2012, 12:27 PM
WCW became so obsessed with its USA ratings it sent them out of business