PDA

View Full Version : TNA and Concussions

sysop
11-21-2010, 10:57 PM
TNA has done a good job with concussion management. They even worked it into a storyline. I'm glad they're taking the issue seriously. I'm sure Ken Anderson and Nigel hate missing the paychecks, but enjoy keeping their health. It's TBD how these returning performers will be pushed or not. From a smart mark morality perspective I don't care how they get pushed as much as I care they were not pushed back into action to make a quick buck. TNA fails the morality test of the internet fans in a lot of ways, but this isn't one of them.

The chair shot to the head ban is also a step in the right direction. The ReAction match with MCMG and GenMe was brutal and contained no chair shots. I'd say it had more attention grabbing captivation, albeit to a much smaller audience, than that time Rock hit Foley a dozen times handcuffed. Chairs are simply not a very creative way to show violence because they are actually harmful and are also overplayed.

Kudo's to TNA for dealing with this issue properly and for showing some "smart" booking at the same time. I hope they follow-up on this in future episodes.

wallyman
11-22-2010, 02:27 AM
TNA has done a good job with concussion management. They even worked it into a storyline. I'm glad they're taking the issue seriously. I'm sure Ken Anderson and Nigel hate missing the paychecks, but enjoy keeping their health. It's TBD how these returning performers will be pushed or not. From a smart mark morality perspective I don't care how they get pushed as much as I care they were not pushed back into action to make a quick buck. TNA fails the morality test of the internet fans in a lot of ways, but this isn't one of them.

The chair shot to the head ban is also a step in the right direction. The ReAction match with MCMG and GenMe was brutal and contained no chair shots. I'd say it had more attention grabbing captivation, albeit to a much smaller audience, than that time Rock hit Foley a dozen times handcuffed. Chairs are simply not a very creative way to show violence because they are actually harmful and are also overplayed.

Kudo's to TNA for dealing with this issue properly and for showing some "smart" booking at the same time. I hope they follow-up on this in future episodes.

i agree with u...we have change over time...time has changed u dont need wrestling to b so brutal..but u need it to b entertaining...i think wwe has the right idea of what wrestling can be...but u dont tell a wrestler how to wrestle just like cannot tell a director how to direct...but i am glad this concussion thing is available now. we lost so much great talent to not knowing this and we could of even prevented the chris benoit incident. all in all wrestling is secondary and this guys health should b number 1. a healthy guy can give us many great moments.

eboy
11-23-2010, 01:56 PM
I agree 100% with you guys, hopefullyn we wont see tna stars dying way before their time cant help but thinking that they should have still had anderson at impact tapings just like austin when he had a broken neck

Rassling_Fan
11-23-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm glad they're taking care of their wrestlers physically. I only wish they could care as much financially as well...

As for how they played it in the storyline wise, I think isn't good. Instead of using another person who was ready for a title shot (Samoa Joe had a time limit draw with Jeff Hardy but was feuding Jarrett?) they make a face turn on Morgan, who in story lines were giving people concussions?

sysop
11-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Morgan's turn was somewhat needed to push the storyline. I agree that having him face Hardy was poorly executed. I've read Flair is high on Morgan which may have something to do with it. Probably as much as Joe saying some non-brownnose things about TNA when he was stuck in storyline hell recently.

You're absolutely correct after storyline wise Morgan puts maxi-mexdez out with the concussion kick it's funny he's the champion of concussion management, which detracts somewhat from the angle. Still too early to tell is this angle will be brought back and if so will it suck or continue to make sense only one week at a time.

I predict Anderson turning on Morgan and then giving Morgan a concussion. Why? Because that would make no sense and that's about as much logic as I can draw from the week-to-week booking they seem to be doing now.