PDA

View Full Version : Report: WWE Pleased With Three-Hour RAWs

Frank
09-21-2012, 10:40 PM
WWE officials are reportedly pleased with the improvements that have been made to adjust RAW to a three-hour format. WWE officials reportedly recognize that the three-hour show is a "work in progress" and the company knows they need to find a way to perk up the third hour rating, but they are pleased with how things are going overall. The company is unlikely to go back to the two-hour format as USA pays a lot more for the show as a three-hour show.

Read Full Article >> (http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/9637/report-wwe-pleased-with-three-hour-raws)

Darkside Ron Garvin
09-22-2012, 11:22 AM
At least someone is pleased by it.

Tommy Thunder
09-22-2012, 11:29 AM
At least someone is pleased by it.

I stopped watching WWE (and wrestling in general) shortly after it went three hours. Haven't watched a single show in 2 or 3 months.

Darkside Ron Garvin
09-22-2012, 11:41 AM
I stopped watching WWE (and wrestling in general) shortly after it went three hours. Haven't watched a single show in 2 or 3 months.

I watched Raw the first 3 hour show and fell asleep twice. The only time I have flipped back to Raw since then was the Lawler heart attack (because I saw Jeff Jarrett tweet about it) but haven't returned since. I'll catch SmackDown and NXT on the net when I have time (with two jobs and 4 kids, you don't have that much of free time) but I always catch Impact each week. I don't care how bad people make fun of the stories, I love watching the ring work of those guys on the show. I wish I could say the same about Raw, but they have far too many "none-wrestling" parts that bore the hell out of me, hence why I made the statement I did. From what I have gathered those far, I'm not missing much.

Why haven't you been watching Tommy?

Tommy Thunder
09-22-2012, 11:58 AM
I watched Raw the first 3 hour show and fell asleep twice. The only time I have flipped back to Raw since then was the Lawler heart attack (because I saw Jeff Jarrett tweet about it) but haven't returned since. I'll catch SmackDown and NXT on the net when I have time (with two jobs and 4 kids, you don't have that much of free time) but I always catch Impact each week. I don't care how bad people make fun of the stories, I love watching the ring work of those guys on the show. I wish I could say the same about Raw, but they have far too many "none-wrestling" parts that bore the hell out of me, hence why I made the statement I did. From what I have gathered those far, I'm not missing much.

Why haven't you been watching Tommy?

That's how I feel. I love the occasional 3 hour Raw, but being 3 hours on a regular basis is a bit of an overkill for me. It's just an excuse to add in more social media crap etc. Like you say, the show's too non-wrestling parts heavy for me.

I used to watch all WWE programming every week without fail, either live (or when it was on tv) or by just catching up on youtube the next day or whatever. However, I've just not had time over the 2 months of summer holidays due to being busy with work. I work for an agricultural contracting company over the summer months which means I have to get up early, and that rules out watching Raw live or I'd never get up in time for work the next day lol! When I get in in the evening, I've just not had time to catch up with all shows really since I just want to sit down, relax and go to bed fairly early.
I thought that I'd miss watching wrestling, but truth is, I haven't really missed it at all.

I'm happy right now to just read the results/spoilers and then just check out any matches that get good reviews on youtube.
I am intending on catching up with all the NXT shows I've missed over the summer though, that's a damn good show, no doubt. Not sure if I'll be going back to watch full Raw/Smackdown shows anytime soon though as the shows seem lackluster these days.

As far as Impact goes, I can't deny how good their talents are, and the fact that they put on excellent matches, but I just can't get into watching Impact. I've never been able to watch a full episode. I do kind of follow them via the highlights they show on their website though.

I dunno, wrestling is a bit "meh" for me right now.

Darkside Ron Garvin
09-22-2012, 01:09 PM
That's how I feel. I love the occasional 3 hour Raw, but being 3 hours on a regular basis is a bit of an overkill for me. It's just an excuse to add in more social media crap etc. Like you say, the show's too non-wrestling parts heavy for me.

I used to watch all WWE programming every week without fail, either live (or when it was on tv) or by just catching up on youtube the next day or whatever. However, I've just not had time over the 2 months of summer holidays due to being busy with work. I work for an agricultural contracting company over the summer months which means I have to get up early, and that rules out watching Raw live or I'd never get up in time for work the next day lol! When I get in in the evening, I've just not had time to catch up with all shows really since I just want to sit down, relax and go to bed fairly early.
I thought that I'd miss watching wrestling, but truth is, I haven't really missed it at all.

I'm happy right now to just read the results/spoilers and then just check out any matches that get good reviews on youtube.
I am intending on catching up with all the NXT shows I've missed over the summer though, that's a damn good show, no doubt. Not sure if I'll be going back to watch full Raw/Smackdown shows anytime soon though as the shows seem lackluster these days.

As far as Impact goes, I can't deny how good their talents are, and the fact that they put on excellent matches, but I just can't get into watching Impact. I've never been able to watch a full episode. I do kind of follow them via the highlights they show on their website though.

I dunno, wrestling is a bit "meh" for me right now.

Understandable my man, I'm sure we've all been there before. I know from 2008-2010 was hard for me to swallow in watching it live, but I'd always find something worth bringing me back in at least once a month. I think a break from the system is needed at times just to you clear your head. If you look at it, the hardcore fan has to spend over 8 hours a week to keep up with WWE's content (excluding Youtube shows) just to know what's going on in the fed as a whole. If you're a 9 to 5'er, that's another full business day spent on just catching up on WWE alone. Impact is easier to catch up on, and I find myself watching TNA Today with Borash a lot more than watching anything the E puts online. If you get a chance, check out the interviews he does with the guys. He did one a few weeks back with Bully Ray that was pretty damn funny. Plus, spending 7-10 mins is a lot easier than 30 mins of extra non-sense.

Tommy Thunder
09-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Understandable my man, I'm sure we've all been there before. I know from 2008-2010 was hard for me to swallow in watching it live, but I'd always find something worth bringing me back in at least once a month. I think a break from the system is needed at times just to you clear your head. If you look at it, the hardcore fan has to spend over 8 hours a week to keep up with WWE's content (excluding Youtube shows) just to know what's going on in the fed as a whole. If you're a 9 to 5'er, that's another full business day spent on just catching up on WWE alone. Impact is easier to catch up on, and I find myself watching TNA Today with Borash a lot more than watching anything the E puts online. If you get a chance, check out the interviews he does with the guys. He did one a few weeks back with Bully Ray that was pretty damn funny. Plus, spending 7-10 mins is a lot easier than 30 mins of extra non-sense.

Urgh, between 08 and 10 was dreadful to watch. Seeing Chavo Guerrero jobbing to Hornswoggle was one of many painful things to watch during that time! I don't think WWE's that bad right now, far from it, but it's very bland at the moment.

I'm not interested enough in Impact to want to watch it on a regular basis. I'm a WWE guy, and that's the way I'm staying to be honest. I've given TNA a chance, but they haven't hooked me. Just a preference really, don't want to sound like I'm bashing them lol! I find WWE's youtube shows quite entertaining actually. I've seen JB's interviews and they're good to watch no doubt.

Right now, I'm happy to just watch the good matches that WWE put on via youtube without watching the whole show.

Darkside Ron Garvin
09-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Urgh, between 08 and 10 was dreadful to watch. Seeing Chavo Guerrero jobbing to Hornswoggle was one of many painful things to watch during that time! I don't think WWE's that bad right now, far from it, but it's very bland at the moment.

I'm not interested enough in Impact to want to watch it on a regular basis. I'm a WWE guy, and that's the way I'm staying to be honest. I've given TNA a chance, but they haven't hooked me. Just a preference really, don't want to sound like I'm bashing them lol! I find WWE's youtube shows quite entertaining actually. I've seen JB's interviews and they're good to watch no doubt.

Right now, I'm happy to just watch the good matches that WWE put on via youtube without watching the whole show.

I know, Chavo seemed like he was just being punished for nothing. The whole span was just brutal and very forgettable. I guess for me, growing up in the southern states, I have never had that totally loyalty to WWE. I grew up with WCCW, and JCP/WCW in my area. Those were the hot federations because they toured here all the time. WWF would only come around maybe twice to three times a year. I guess that's why my taste in wrestling is different from a lot of others. The inring promos and back stage segments aren't what I find entertaining. I enjoy the matches and the ring psychology the most. That's why I tend to avoid WWE and drift towards TNA because I like my matches to last longer than 4 minutes and actually have a bit of story going on in it. It's hard to really get any story or involvement emotionally when the match goes faster than the commercial breaks.

Tommy Thunder
09-22-2012, 01:46 PM
I know, Chavo seemed like he was just being punished for nothing. The whole span was just brutal and very forgettable. I guess for me, growing up in the southern states, I have never had that totally loyalty to WWE. I grew up with WCCW, and JCP/WCW in my area. Those were the hot federations because they toured here all the time. WWF would only come around maybe twice to three times a year. I guess that's why my taste in wrestling is different from a lot of others. The inring promos and back stage segments aren't what I find entertaining. I enjoy the matches and the ring psychology the most. That's why I tend to avoid WWE and drift towards TNA because I like my matches to last longer than 4 minutes and actually have a bit of story going on in it. It's hard to really get any story or involvement emotionally when the match goes faster than the commercial breaks.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I too prefer the longer matches. I try and watch as much from Japan as I can via youtube, and I really enjoy those much more than most of what WWE puts on.
WWE do sometimes get it right by having Punk, Bryan, Ziggler etc in nice long matches on their shows.

I grew up watching WCW, the only thing that was on tv here in the UK back in the 90's lol!

Automatic
09-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Hey, seriously, I can understand why the WWE officials are happy.
The is paced better and has improved wrestling quality wise.
It's just the length that makes the show drag. It goes past peoples saturation point.

Tommy Thunder
09-22-2012, 02:16 PM
It's just the length that makes the show drag. It goes past peoples saturation point.

I agree totally that the length and quality of matches have improved. That's one good thing that the 3 hours brings.

Darkside Ron Garvin
09-22-2012, 02:27 PM

I can agree with that because even from just reading spoilers and catching what I can online, the show seems to have a better flow to it. I guess the thing that gets me is that this is just going to get worse and not better if they actually launch the E Network. Those who would watch it for the library alone will get the enjoyment, but if they are going to keep things such as a CW division as exclusive to that network, then the over-exposure is going to continue. I think that if they were to take some of these kids from FCW and begin introducing them on a slower rate, they would do well to build them up and manage to fill that spot. With the direction things have been heading, I just don't see that being the case. Cesaro was introduced to the main roster and it seems that in the blink, he was holding the US title. Granted it's not the WHC or WWE belt, but it's still something that they are giving to a guy who has limited exposure in the E Universe. With that extra hour, they could be using that time to help show the E Universe what us in the IWC have been seeing for years in a talent like Claudio. However, I don't see them using the time like they should because they are more worried about trying to keep the ratings above a 3, which is why you see such strong segments getting poor ratings (due to the overexposure factor) and the poorer segments being misplaced later in the card due to them trying to get the rating to spike early and hold them there... Then again, this is just my opinion on it, what do you guys think?

Automatic
09-22-2012, 05:54 PM
I can agree with that because even from just reading spoilers and catching what I can online, the show seems to have a better flow to it. I guess the thing that gets me is that this is just going to get worse and not better if they actually launch the E Network. Those who would watch it for the library alone will get the enjoyment, but if they are going to keep things such as a CW division as exclusive to that network, then the over-exposure is going to continue. I think that if they were to take some of these kids from FCW and begin introducing them on a slower rate, they would do well to build them up and manage to fill that spot. With the direction things have been heading, I just don't see that being the case. Cesaro was introduced to the main roster and it seems that in the blink, he was holding the US title. Granted it's not the WHC or WWE belt, but it's still something that they are giving to a guy who has limited exposure in the E Universe. With that extra hour, they could be using that time to help show the E Universe what us in the IWC have been seeing for years in a talent like Claudio. However, I don't see them using the time like they should because they are more worried about trying to keep the ratings above a 3, which is why you see such strong segments getting poor ratings (due to the overexposure factor) and the poorer segments being misplaced later in the card due to them trying to get the rating to spike early and hold them there... Then again, this is just my opinion on it, what do you guys think?

I don't get how the CW division would add to the over-exposure? That would a stand alone show, where you can decide by yourself whether you watch it or not. Yes, it's another WWE program, but it's on the WWE channel.

It's more the fact that it's really tiresome to watch a single show for 3 hours a week. Week after week after week.

But the problem WWE is facing is that they want to hold onto the average of a 3 rating. The reason to maintain that average is to add starpower to your show. The way WWE does that is to keep their main eventers on TV for as long as possible(long interviews/promo/match).

But here comes the problem that WWE has to deal with: new characters are rating killers.
So if they debut a new character, ratings suffer and WWE has to decide whether it's worth the effort for the ratings loss. I bet they would love to debut new characters with the extra hour, but the audience needs to get accustomed as soon as possible. That's why, I guess, they gave Claudio the title so quickly, because he needs to be established.

magglis
09-22-2012, 07:49 PM
To be fair i find WWE boring.The only good thing now is the Bryan-Kane storyline and i like that because its funny.And TNA i watch it because of the Aces and 8's storyline.Wrestling changed its not fun anymore