PDA

View Full Version : TNA TV Title

YOUcanCALLmeCRACK
09-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Word is that TNA is going to phase out the belt with Devon. Do we even care about it's disappearance? I sure don't. (Take the KO Tag belts with it!)

The belt felt forced into TNA when Booker T brought it in as the Legend's Championship (around 2009). It felt like more of a personal belt and less of a TNA belt at the time. Looking back, I think they only made the belt so everyone in the Main Event Mafia had some gold.

Since then it went from the Legend's Championship to the Global Championship to the current-day TV Title. Three name changes in three years just proves that TNA never knew what to do with this belt. I say good riddance for a couple of reasons:

1) It makes the Heavyweight, Tags, and X-Div mean more by having more guys fighting for less belts.
2) It frees up TV and PPV time by not having to write feuds for the belt.
3) It would have been useless anyway if they stuck with the match every week stipulation to begin with. Kind of hard to build up matches and make people care when you have 6 days to do it. (every two or four weeks on TV would have been better)

Just one man's opinion.

Cabers
09-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Completely agree it was a joke to begin with it and yes add the KO tag titles (ridiculous!) to the bin list!!

Dubs
09-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Yeah. TNA doesn't really need the TV title anymore. This is a great thing because they get to focus more on the X-Division, the tag team division, along with the Knockouts division and the main event scene. They can easily pair up Gunner and Kid Ka$h and Chavo and Hernandez as a tag team which will clearly add more tag teams to their tag team division.

Once they get their divisions more organized after the Aces and Eights angle, then I would like to see another mid-card title replacing the TV title but right now, a mid-card title is unneeded.

Lucas Chapel
09-04-2012, 02:53 PM
I've never been a fan of "TV Championships" within any promotion, but I really think the TNA TV Championship has potential to create some interesting spots.
I care more about the TNA TV Championship than I ever did about the WCW TV Championship.

HCollins-TNA1
09-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Kinda mix feelings....

I like the TV title in which it a belt to have on a star in the making... Then it sorta outdated with today times and media and etc.... When the TV title was created in Wrestling it was meant to be defend or the champion to appear on TV week in and week out... even if it wasn't defended....
Lastly as I said it sorta outdated as the media aspect has evolved with Internet, cable and satellite TV and radio and etc...

Also TNA needs to get rid of the Knockout tag titles they pretty much served their purpose and nothing more can be done with them..

Rockstar83
09-04-2012, 08:35 PM
I wonder what WCW angle they are going to do with the TV title, or just pretend it never happened and just "Magically" vanish! ha ha. I bet Devon was like I'm taking this crappy title to Booker T on WWE.

Sahu
09-04-2012, 10:26 PM
I have mixed feelings..while I never liked the title in TNA...I have questions like what about people like Gunner, Pope n others???

Now X-Div Title has a weight limit...n all those stars who fall over that weight limit have no mid-card title to fight with...if they phase out TV title well they can do it..but should bring a new title for mid carders to fight for...

PSOjedi
09-05-2012, 01:06 AM
I agree, the TV and KO Tag Team should be drop ASAP, ,as they are useless. The problem is that, with only one show, there is not enough TV time for all the 6 championships. with just Impact as it is actually, 4 championships is enough.

TheBadGuy2090
09-05-2012, 09:16 AM
I have mixed feelings..while I never liked the title in TNA...I have questions like what about people like Gunner, Pope n others???

Now X-Div Title has a weight limit...n all those stars who fall over that weight limit have no mid-card title to fight with...if they phase out TV title well they can do it..but should bring a new title for mid carders to fight for...

Yes can't agree more..What about lower midcard talent?????? It would have been better if devon would have dropped the title to a lower midcard Heel..

Sahu
09-05-2012, 09:50 AM
I agree, the TV and KO Tag Team should be drop ASAP, ,as they are useless. The problem is that, with only one show, there is not enough TV time for all the 6 championships. with just Impact as it is actually, 4 championships is enough.

Got your point....but in that case...they should lift the weight limit for X-Div Championship like good old days...now they have a weight limit of 225lbs as far as I have checked last time...then many wrestlers cannot feud for it...

TheDevilsAdvocate
09-05-2012, 10:36 AM
They should just drop it. The entire title scene was a clutter when they introduced this tv championship along with what I believe they called the Legends Championship. I'm not exactly certain as to what they called it. I doubt they need that many championships anyways since they are always focused on a certain nest of talents.

body slam
09-05-2012, 07:01 PM
I really like the idea of the TV title or a secondary title. If used properly it could be great. The problem is when used it has been put on the wrong people. Robbie E has bad heat. The fans really do not like him its not because he's great at being a bad guy. He sucks. Devon is a good transition champion just not long term. The TV champion really needs to be a heel that can wrestle, talk, and build up their opponent. IMO Pope would be awesome as TV champion. I would rotate title defenses every other week between the TV and tag titles. In the off week have a interview or contenders match building up the next weeks match. Not everyone is World title contender or able to work in the x division. The TV title is another story line and stepping stone. Look what it did for RVD in ECW.

HeelTurn
09-05-2012, 07:06 PM
The TV title wasn't ever defended on TV on a regular basis, the Global title failed and the less said about the "Legends" belt the better.

TNA only needs the World, X-Division, Tag Team and KO belt. If they can handle those 4 them maybe somewhere down the line bring in a IC or US style belt.

eboy
09-05-2012, 07:17 PM
They should just drop it. The entire title scene was a clutter when they introduced this tv championship along with what I believe they called the Legends Championship. I'm not exactly certain as to what they called it. I doubt they need that many championships anyways since they are always focused on a certain nest of talents.

There was a time, I'd make an arguement for the TV title, but I think now is the time to drop it, maybe TNA could bring it back futher down the line when they have a slightly bigger roster. You see they were too afraid to put the belt on any geniune Main Event talents, like Matt Morgan, ABYSS, RVD, Jeff Hardy,The Pope, Kaz, Jeff Jarrett, who have all had times where they could have been doing something worthwhile, somebody say "MAGNUS!!!!" TNA should ditch the title now.

Bob Bowman
09-05-2012, 09:15 PM
It was a nice try, but the old ways of doing things are officially dead....

JohnnyV123
09-05-2012, 10:56 PM
It's exactly as eboy said. They have a LOT of wrestlers to feature on TV yet want to keep the main event type talents away from the TV title. That's just silly. Jeff Hardy as TV champion does not diminish his status as a main eventer. It keeps him in the spotlight being weekly featured on TV and he's a huge draw! There's limits to the amount of time on a 2 hour show so having the belt should be a privilege. Wrestlers should be cutting promos about that and saying I am so talented I deserve to be on Impact in a match every week.

Although I don't know how relaxed a TNA wrestler's contract is on appearances I have to feel like there are more than enough guys to be out there ready to go once a week.

hystrix
09-06-2012, 06:43 AM
You know the bummer about losing the TV title, is that if Kurt Angle could have won that, he would have been the first Grand Slam Champion in both WWE and TNA...

Poot-Hair
09-06-2012, 07:51 AM
The TV title wasn't ever defended on TV on a regular basis, the Global title failed and the less said about the "Legends" belt the better.

TNA only needs the World, X-Division, Tag Team and KO belt. If they can handle those 4 them maybe somewhere down the line bring in a IC or US style belt.This in a nutshell.

Also I never agreed with the title being defended every week. They needed to take the time to build up a worthwhile feud for the Tv title and they never seemed to do that.

With the Heavyweight, XD, and KO titles they have more than enough for now. Maybe if they had a secondary show they would have time for extra titles.

baby-boi
09-06-2012, 01:58 PM

BINGO!!! Even though I hated what the did with the title(name changes) and it clear TnA has no idea what to do with the title, they need the title.

Every wrestling organizations(other than small indie organizations) needs a "Secondary" title. What will the mid carders who don't belong to a Tag Team do???

TheJosephBanks
09-06-2012, 02:02 PM
They definitely need a mid-card title. I like the X-Division, but that isn't going to be your mid-card -ever. As good as they are, they are low-card/Tertiary card. If they get rid of the TV Title, which I think is a stupid idea, they need to bring in another title for the mid-card talent(Magnus/Pope/Robbie/etc., etc), otherwise, your mid-card is effectively directionless.

The Don
09-06-2012, 02:43 PM
TNA should drop the TV Title an introduce their own United States Title. The TNA United States Champion ____________
Sounds better than being called the Television Champion.

johnnyvine
09-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Nothing wrong with having a TV title, TNA just doesn't use it properly.
As for having keeping the main event guys away from the title, they should go after it too.
After all some of the greatest names and World Champions have held a TV belt.
Flair, Steamboat, Sting, Dusty Rhodes, Jericho, Austin.

Darkside Ron Garvin
09-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Nothing wrong with having a TV title, TNA just doesn't use it properly.
As for having keeping the main event guys away from the title, they should go after it too.
After all some of the greatest names and World Champions have held a TV belt.
Flair, Steamboat, Sting, Dusty Rhodes, Jericho, Austin.

While you are correct, most of these names had their TV title run well before their main event runs. If people were to see the likes of Hardy, RVD, and say Anderson (although I do think he'd be the best "veteran" for the division) competing for the TV title, most casual fans would ask why they weren't competing for the WHC.

Personally, I think a midcard belt would work well for the company so long as they had stories to match the belt. However, they have to get rid of that belt and introduce one with no background tied into Booker T. Create an "IWC Championship" (just throwing it out there :D) and have the guys like Crimson, Gunner, Magnus, Pope be the core of the division, with TNA originals that can compete for it without sending the casual fan into an uproar... This would be your Styles, Kaz, Daniels, Joe... Guys who could cross from the Main Event to Midcard without truly damaging their image. I believe Anderson and Chavo could fit this mold to add to the division as well. The major problem with this is that they simply do not have time in a 2 hr program for the time spent build solid stories to ever make a belt like this mean something to you the viewer. That's why I'd call it the "IWC Title" because they only ones who'd care about it for the first 5 years of exsistance would be us in the IWC who follow TNA consistantly... but that's just my take on the whole thing.

As for now, let the belt go with Devon and spend more time focusing on the X, Tag Team, and KO belts. The loss of this belt simply opens another spot on the show and PPVs for another match to build towards these belts.

HCollins-TNA1
09-07-2012, 06:58 PM
While you are correct, most of these names had their TV title run well before their main event runs. If people were to see the likes of Hardy, RVD, and say Anderson (although I do think he'd be the best "veteran" for the division) competing for the TV title, most casual fans would ask why they weren't competing for the WHC.

Personally, I think a midcard belt would work well for the company so long as they had stories to match the belt. However, they have to get rid of that belt and introduce one with no background tied into Booker T. Create an "IWC Championship" (just throwing it out there :D) and have the guys like Crimson, Gunner, Magnus, Pope be the core of the division, with TNA originals that can compete for it without sending the casual fan into an uproar... This would be your Styles, Kaz, Daniels, Joe... Guys who could cross from the Main Event to Midcard without truly damaging their image. I believe Anderson and Chavo could fit this mold to add to the division as well. The major problem with this is that they simply do not have time in a 2 hr program for the time spent build solid stories to ever make a belt like this mean something to you the viewer. That's why I'd call it the "IWC Title" because they only ones who'd care about it for the first 5 years of exsistance would be us in the IWC who follow TNA consistantly... but that's just my take on the whole thing.

As for now, let the belt go with Devon and spend more time focusing on the X, Tag Team, and KO belts. The loss of this belt simply opens another spot on the show and PPVs for another match to build towards these belts.

Think that would be the best idea to get rid of the belt and introduce a new one.... But also as you said focus on the other belts of the company...

I personal like the TV title, but one thing lots of people don't understand is a belt can't be defended every single show or it devalues it in a way... Then as you said involve the belt in the stories, it would been great if the belt was held by somebody in the BFG... or eventually if they bring back the belt sooner then later involve it in the Aces and 8s... Also just having the champion on TV is good enough for me, non-title matches, week after a title match that goes a draw, then maybe the champion doing a interview, or wrestle a jobber of sorts, week after that another title match...

Also agree the with TNA maybe wanting to get rid of belt due to how it was created, people still have memories of that... Also will agree it gives other champions time to shine or even non-champions....

YOUcanCALLmeCRACK
09-08-2012, 05:15 PM
TNA should drop the TV Title an introduce their own United States Title. The TNA United States Champion ____________
Sounds better than being called the Television Champion.

Only if the champion comes out to this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M