PDA

View Full Version : Does the WWE have a 'Marty Jannetty' system?

Belzova
08-30-2010, 09:31 AM
I just noticed that out of every tag team that I've seen so far have always had one that shot to the top while the other fell flat an never moved anywhere.

Is this a coincidence or what?

WoodenBulldozer
08-30-2010, 10:50 AM
Jeff Hardy>Matt Hardy
Edge>Christian
Miz>Morrison(soon to be)
Bradshaw(JBL)>Farooq (Farooq did have his time in the NoD, but that was prior to forming the acolytes)

Feel free to add to the list. These are the obvious ones

Warmachine
08-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Eddie Guererro > Chavo Guererro
Shelton benjamin > Charile Haas (one was ic champ twice, the other dressed as the glamazon)
Paul London > Billy Kidman

Rangers_Chosen_Hun
08-30-2010, 11:20 AM
matt hardy to jeff
christian to edge
chavo to eddie
at the moment john morrison is to the miz but that will change
curt hawkins to zach ryder lol

westy
08-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Hmm interesting, I guess your right.

BigWillie54
08-30-2010, 11:57 AM
SMH THIS BEEN LIKE THIS FOREVER. When a tag team breaks up is cause one of them is gonna get a push of some kind so this happes to really every team that has broken up.

TheDevilsAdvocate
08-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Even though Bigwillie54 answered the question you asked this was still a clever post.

TheDevilsAdvocate
08-30-2010, 12:23 PM
John Cena > Hip hop hippo(A-Train)

TLK
08-30-2010, 02:03 PM
What Bret Hart, Davey Boy Smith, Edge, Jeff Hardy, Shawn Michaels and Eddie Guererro had that their respective tag partners did not have was marketability. The WWE marketed these guys to not only make vast revenues but also push their brand and evolve the company through the years. Hogan and Brutus Beefcake are another example even though they were mainly a duo that was not a tag team as such but Brutus was more the lackey and hero worshipper and Hogan was the man kids looked up too. they tried a few years back to split the dudleys but did not work as they knew in the end they were more marketable as a tag team.

The Hipster
08-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Billy Gunn over Bart

Ruggy
08-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Christian is not a very good example.... I think the fact that when WWE mashes a team together, generally it is not going to work. The best teams have always formed outside of WWE, I'm talking about the LOD's, Brainbusters, Nasty Boys and Steiners only exception being the Rockers, where Shawn went to the top and Marty was always left ruing his chances. WWE is always very proud of its own creations and invariably disguard anything they did not make. With LOD this was flawed as WWE did away with Demolition when they got LOD. The Bulldogs was also a funny one as "The Dynamite Kid" was always the better wrestler and he could have been great in singles in my opinion. The tag team division is dead, I really wish it wasn't.

Robstar
08-30-2010, 05:39 PM
I agree in the most part with all these posts. But the point TLK makes about marketabilty is probably the most accurate.
Sometimes it comes down to backstage politics - even though he will always be my favourite performer, I think I can say with all certainty that HBK would have done whatever he could (back then) to get leverage over Jannetty. But at the end of the day, even after SEVERAL attempts to repackage and push Marty, he just didn't have the charisma.

Chavo was just unfortunate that it was Eddie Guerrero, who, lets face it, was going to make ANYONE look second rate. He just HAD IT. Christian was MADE a Jannetty by WWE writers - IMO he is Edge's equal or more on every level.

I hate to think what will happen to Tyson Kidd, poor boy. Unless WWE bring back a light heavyweight/cruiserweight title (and they MAY, considering the trend towards more "little" guys like Kaval, Hunico & Daniel Bryan. It could almost be a viable division again.

If you think about the last few times the WWE has thrust ready-made teams at us - i.e. the Major "brothers", the Basham "brothers" - they tended to dissapear together. Yes I know the Major's were Hawkins and Ryder but after they did the Edge angle, they were both removed together. But yet still, they are both back, with Zack Ryder getting the obviously bigger push, if you could call it that. Woo, woo, woo, L.O.L.

Personally, I'm still holding out hope for Marty Jannetty to return to main event status. ;)

The Hipster
08-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Both of you have great points. Marty push would be funny.

Ruggy
08-30-2010, 05:56 PM
Tag-team has been sidelinded to a stupid affair, I mean come on, The Hart Dynasty.... The historical refernce is there. But for the kid on the street, they have no idea about the "Hart Dynasty". Where have all the good tag-teams gone?? There is no one left!!!

Robstar
08-30-2010, 06:08 PM
Maybe a new sort of J.O.B. Squad but instead they call themseves Discarded & Unwanted Partners Inc or something. What a killer stable that would be, like The Oddities!!!

TLK
08-30-2010, 06:31 PM
The WWE is more interested in pushing the singles wrestlers and the top Guys like Cena, Orton, Sheamus, Edge and Miz and also the Divas who to be honest are not in the same league as Kong, ODB, MsChif just to name a few female Wrestlers and tend to be plucked out of Model agencies over their looks rather than their wrestling ability.

The Tag Team division was hot throughout the 90's in the WWE as you had a lot of established teams. Now days just lump a Canadian and a giant and call them Jerishow and what next? A mixed tag team with Taker and McCool and call it deadcool lol? TNA has been more active in tag teams but still not on par as yet. And ROH seems to feature more newer talent and foucs on tag teams as well.

djsoulslayer
08-30-2010, 07:01 PM
Huh!! I think you're on to something.

Robstar
08-30-2010, 08:10 PM
DeadCool is funny. JeriShow was a lucky accident after Edge got injured and you can bet someone thought they were one smart cookie coming up with that little gem of a name, same with ShowMiz. Same goes for Rated RKO. Who knows what's next? MVPeeps? ChavoSwoggle? McInRhodes?

Hesterica
08-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Team up Swagger and Ziggler with Vickie as manager, call them Perfection and let them have a strong feud with Hart Dynasty, trading the belts every now and then. Make this your Marquee tag team bout and the rest of the division would follow.

AGEOFFALL
08-31-2010, 02:18 AM
Not always but many times.

IrkenInvader
07-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Bump...........