PDA

View Full Version : Do Michael Cole and Matt Striker suck?

TheMadThinker
11-18-2010, 03:09 AM
How do you feel about where the WWE is going with the heel and shoot style announce teams?

Michael Cole and Matt Striker are annoying as hell, but I am really starting to like it. The heat they are getting from the fans is exactly what the WWE wants.

I give Cole credit for taking a shot at Vince McMahon’s announcing style and inadvertently pointing out John Cena’s lack of wrestling variation. To me, this is entertaining and I hope WWE puts more of this in there programming.

The problem I have is from the face announcers. It seems like most of the time they are dumbfounded and do not know how to handle themselves when the heel makes an outlandish comment. Todd Grisham seems lost half of the time with Striker and even Jerry Lawler has been pretty weak when dealing with Cole.

I enjoyed Jim Ross coming back to RAW, but I do not understand why he sat through Cole tirade without defending himself. It would have been way more entertaining if they would have went back and fourth with each other.

To sum it up I think WWE is going in the right direction with this but it is really hard to recapture that Gorilla Monsoon Bobby “the brain” Heenan dynamic.

Splattered-Dreams
11-18-2010, 03:29 AM
Bring back The Coach. Oh, lord.

Honesly, I want to turn the volume down when Cole is speaking. That doesn't mean he's good as a heel, it just means that he ruins matches and steals the wrestlers' spotlight

ObscureRessurection
11-18-2010, 04:14 AM

Honesly, I want to turn the volume down when Cole is speaking. That doesn't mean he's good as a heel, it just means that he ruins matches and steals the wrestlers' spotlight

Coach an King was a funny announce team. It almost reached the same level as King an JR.

Splattered-Dreams
11-18-2010, 04:23 AM
At least the Coach drew heat because of his character, and not because he's a spotlight stealing, overacting tool

jethro
11-18-2010, 04:57 AM
Good heel announcer: Bobby heenan,Jesse ventura,Jerry lawler,Cyrus the virus and Don west

I think Michael cole one day will getting there,i think...I like the 'Cole high five-ing and bro hugging Riley,hate R-truth music,thinks Laycool are awesome' type of heel,not the one that interrupt JR one night only commentating type of annoying heel.

For Matt striker I like him knowing all the wrestling moves and all the information he would sharing with the viewers,the downside is sometime he can go overboard being mr.knows it all...for example Cena vs Barrett HITC when he said something about Cena fans are kids and women and Barrett fans are guys,I mean theres no need to mention something like that on tv.

Both got their pros and cons.

Splattered-Dreams
11-18-2010, 05:07 AM
Good heel announcer: Bobby heenan,Jesse ventura,Jerry lawler,Cyrus the virus and Don west

I think Michael cole one day will getting there,i think...I like the 'Cole high five-ing and bro hugging Riley,hate R-truth music,thinks Laycool are awesome' type of heel,not the one that interrupt JR one night only commentating type of annoying heel.

For Matt striker I like him knowing all the wrestling moves and all the information he would sharing with the viewers,the downside is sometime he can go overboard being mr.knows it all...for example Cena vs Barrett HITC when he said something about Cena fans are kids and women and Barrett fans are guys,I mean theres no need to mention something like that on tv.

Both got their pros and cons.

I like all of those qualites you mentioned about Striker :p I grinned when he said that about Cena's fans - I've been saying that for five years now, it had to be said. Matt Striker isn't bad at all, like you said he knows the wrestling move names - unlike a certain Todd Grisham - the most technical announcing he's ever done was to say "[insert wrestler here] is on the offense." No shit.

AGEOFFALL
11-18-2010, 05:46 AM
Sometimes Cole's character is overdone but sometimes it works just the right amount.

Kashdinero
11-18-2010, 06:23 AM
Cole>Stryker>Mathews>Lawler>Grisham

CMhuw24
11-18-2010, 06:41 AM
They're no King/Ross but they arent overly too bad.
Least they are getting heat from the crowd.

CobraNightviper
11-18-2010, 09:17 AM
It seems like all the anouncers take a back seat to Cole what ever happened to defending yourself and at least the Couch could get physical I can't rember how many times Iv'e seen him get beat up(by Steve Austin,the Rock,D-X elect)and Cole always runs away rember the nexus envasion he ran off and Lawler got beat up so my question is why is the wwe announcers so afraid to talk back to Cole?

Xpacfan
11-18-2010, 09:49 AM
In comparison to J.R., yes.

The Electrifier!
11-18-2010, 10:02 AM
I find it funny that Micheal Cole says a couple cheap jokes, and all the sudden half of the IWC are Coleminers. Are you guys really that easily won over? For one, have you thought about that fact that maybe Lawler, Striker and J.R. were told by Vince NOT to defend themselves against Cole? Just for the sake of putting over his heel character? Lawler got leeway on Monday, because it was Old School RAW, and He got to be himself again. But other than that, the other commentators are FORCED to eat the crap Vince feeds Cole to them. I bet you Vince Laughs his ass off backstage being able to make Cole dance to whatever beat of the drum he plays.

Micheal Cole admitted he was a puppet on NXT, he should also admit he is a whore for Vince. Doing anything he tells him, no matter how ridiculous or embarrassing it is (Which is why Vince departed J.R., because we all know he's no puppet). From giving The Miz weekly bl*wjobs to making up pretty little names for Alex Riley, has everyone questioning his sexual preference and adulthood. I dislike Micheal Cole for the simple fact that he is not one of those heels, I LOVE to HATE. He is one of those heels, I LOVE to press the MUTE button on. Just because, he ruins the vibe (and steals the spotlight) of matches with his OVER the top confused heel character, which is something he can't differentiate (either your heel or face, make up your mind). I can't stand it when he verbally buries the likes of Daniel Bryan and others (to where it doesn't make sense anymore) Especially when there is not a strong enough FACE commentator to build them up, rather than tear them down.

A great heel is suppose to catch your attention, give you reason's to cheer faces. They break the rules to give Faces a push, so the crowd can get into them and their matches more. How can someone get into you, when you verbally degraded (with no one to oppose that view) and made out to be a joke by them in every one of your matches?

ObscureRessurection
11-18-2010, 10:10 AM
I find it funny that Micheal Cole says a couple cheap jokes, and all the sudden half of the IWC are Coleminers. Are you guys really that easily won over? For one, have you thought about that fact that maybe Lawler, Striker and J.R. were told by Vince NOT to defend themselves against Cole? Just for the sake of putting over his heel character? Lawler got leeway on Monday, because it was Old School RAW, and He got to be himself again. But other than that, the other commentators are FORCED to eat the crap Vince feeds Cole to them. I bet you Vince Laughs his ass off backstage being able to make Cole dance to whatever beat of the drum he plays.

Micheal Cole admitted he was a puppet on NXT, he should also admit he is a whore for Vince. Doing anything he tells him, no matter how ridiculous or embarrassing it is (Which is why Vince departed J.R., because we all know he's no puppet). From giving The Miz weekly bl*wjobs to making up pretty little names for Alex Riley, has everyone questioning his sexual preference and adulthood. I dislike Micheal Cole for the simple fact that he is not one of those heels, I LOVE to HATE. He is one of those heels, I LOVE to press the MUTE button on. Just because, he ruins the vibe (and steals the spotlight) of matches with his OVER the top confused heel character, which is something he can't differentiate (either your heel or face, make up your mind). I can't stand when verbally buries the likes of Daniel Bryan and others (to where it doesn't make sense anymore) Especially when there is not a strong enough FACE commentator to build them up, rather than tear them down.

A great heel is suppose to catch your attention, give you reason's to cheer faces. They break the rules to give Faces a push, so the crowd can get into them and their matches more. How can someone get into you, when you verbally degraded (with no one to oppose that view) and made out to be a joke by them in every one of your matches?

You beat me to the punch. Well said!!

lucky7pointman
11-18-2010, 10:50 AM

Cole is just doing his job and if he is not it just his ego blow the roof

Tommy Thunder
11-18-2010, 12:32 PM
I think WWE need to have a 3 man announce team on Raw as-well as Smackdown. On Smackdown they have Cole and Striker as the color commentators and Grisham as the play by play. I think they should do the same with Raw. Lawler would obviously be the face color, Cole could be the heel color (as he doesn't really call the action anymore as he's too busy complaining and bitching etc), and JR could come back as the play by play in-between both. Jr proved on monday that he's still as good as ever at calling the action, and I'm tired of watching RAW with no-one calling the action, and just watching matches to the accompaniment of Cole complaining and Lawler chiming in every now and then. Raw at the moment for me has 2 color commentators, and they need to add a play by play to go with them, and JR is my choice. If not, give Josh Mathews a shot. He works really good with Cole as we see on NXT. They have really good chemistry and their commentary on NXT is the only good thing about the show.
So to conclude, plan A: bring in JR as a play by play to accompany the heel color of Cole and face of Lawler, or plan B: bring in Josh Mathews.

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."
Ezekiel 25:17.

dantheman
11-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Matt Striker is the definition of douchebag, terrible commentator, started off okay and then when rapidly downhill with his know it all attitude and annoying voice.

FaceOfSpades
11-18-2010, 03:30 PM
i cant stand cole. Especially when the miz music hits. But i can get over it, only because he sounds like most of the iwc about the miz. Why, i have no idea, but hey. Anyways he is entirely too obnoxious to have a former wrestler/ person who i dont doubt will kick his ass beside him. Voice of monday night raw and/or wwe? I thought i was the voice of wwe. I thought you all were the voice of the wwe. Sheeeit, i probably have to defend wrestling more in 3 months than he does ever since he makes money off the *fake* business. Someone tell the wwe to stop insulting my intellegence by saying this motherbotcher is the voice of something i can enjoy.

AndyWonder
11-18-2010, 06:01 PM
Cole is annoying. He thinks he is a big shot because he took over JR's spot at the RAW table. He tries to be a heel and blast people to make himself look better but does not have the wit that a heel needs. As JR was walking away from the announce table Monday night all Cole could say was "Go back to where you came from!" Then King looked over to him and said, "Was that all you could come up with?" That was perfect. Striker is too worried about sounding smarter than the rest of the world because he was a teacher in the past. And Grisham is lame and awkward. JR is always great. He calls matches better than anyone with that tone of voice he's got and still stands up and speaks his mind to heel superstars when needed. King is always gonna be his goofy self going ga ga over the divas.

AndyWonder
11-18-2010, 06:07 PM
I agree with Cole not being a full heel. He loves to destroy Daniel Bryan and The Hart Dynasty but still praises John Cena, Evan Bourne, and Rey Mysterio.

marc
11-18-2010, 07:29 PM
I think it would have amde more since for Lawler to slip back into his heel persona of several years ago and let Cole be a face. Let's face it, RAW was great when Lawler and J.R. were arguing and comentating. Also, Lawler would be a better heel, because hes a better actor. Being a heel is much harder than being a face and the King definitely has the chops for it.

SaberToothTigerz
11-18-2010, 08:02 PM
cole does his job but he sucks at doing it
look at jbl that man knows how to be a heel i had times i hated jbl and others when i liked him
cole is just plain stupid he has no charisma so fuck him

SilverLace
11-19-2010, 02:12 PM
cole does his job but he sucks at doing it
look at jbl that man knows how to be a heel i had times i hated jbl and others when i liked him
cole is just plain stupid he has no charisma so fuck him

I bet you couldnt do a better job than Cole and deep down inside you love Cole.