PDA

View Full Version : Is this TNA's chance?

Peter Kaymakcian
08-15-2012, 02:40 AM
Is this TNA's chance to seriously close the gap between themselves and the WWE? Let's take a look at some of the facts:

*A majority of WWE's midcard is extremely frustrated with the company

*Two of their top merch sellers(Zack Ryder and Santino Marella) are among those frustrated

*They currently have one of their top storylines in recent memories, maybe even ever

*Both of WWE's main shows(Raw and Smackdown!) are in ratings decline

*TNA has just recently gone live which should help their ratings in the long run

Do you think TNA has the ability to close the gap between themselves and the WWE? I personally don't believe so considering TNA's history. They have a huge tendency to blow great things they have going for themselves. They did this with Samoa Joe, Jay Lethal, Pope, Immortal, Kaz, World Elite, Chris Sabin, MEM, Fortune, and many more things. I don't believe TNA has the management needed to be a long term option as a wrestling company. Other then Aces and Eights I can't remember the last thing TNA has done right. I know this prognosis sounds bleak and pessimistic, but I do believe that TNA needs a huge show me moment before I can surely say I trust it.

XxJPPRxX
08-15-2012, 02:50 AM
Is this TNA's chance to seriously close the gap between themselves and the WWE? Let's take a look at some of the facts:

*A majority of WWE's midcard is extremely frustrated with the company

*Two of their top merch sellers(Zack Ryder and Santino Marella) are among those frustrated

*They currently have one of their top storylines in recent memories, maybe even ever

*Both of WWE's main shows(Raw and Smackdown!) are in ratings decline

*TNA has just recently gone live which should help their ratings in the long run

Do you think TNA has the ability to close the gap between themselves and the WWE? I personally don't believe so considering TNA's history. They have a huge tendency to blow great things they have going for themselves. They did this with Samoa Joe, Jay Lethal, Pope, Immortal, Kaz, World Elite, Chris Sabin, MEM, Fortune, and many more things. I don't believe TNA has the management needed to be a long term option as a wrestling company. Other then Aces and Eights I can't remember the last thing TNA has done right. I know this prognosis sounds bleak and pessimistic, but I do believe that TNA needs a huge show me moment before I can surely say I trust it.

i am the same as that bolded bit. TNA has to have that one good defining moment otherwise even at the moment i cannot see TNA ever going over WWE.

Darkside Ron Garvin
08-15-2012, 02:58 AM
Other then Aces and Eights I can't remember the last thing TNA has done right. I know this prognosis sounds bleak and pessimistic, but I do believe that TNA needs a huge show me moment before I can surely say I trust it.

Honestly, I love the evolution of Abyss, Aries, Roode, and Bully Ray so they have that righ

Abyss/Parks/Bully has been done right (I liked how Bully mentioned he learned sumn from the Lawyer on the last Impact)

Roodes and Aries both had lengthy runs that BOTH titles needed to establish a good value and "history" to them.

TNA has featured more time in the ring and less backstage or on the stage moments with the likes of Hogan/Bischoff/Sting (although Sting does get in one or two too many segments for my taste)

TNA has signed younger, not so well known stars in Kenny King, Mason Andrews (Scorpio Sky), Zema Ion, Jesse Sorrensen, rather than just any WWE talent to leave in the past year

TNA has pushed more homegrown talent which was a cry that MANY had from this company...

I think TNA has done quite a bit more things "right" than just the recent Aces&8s angle

Dameduse823
08-15-2012, 02:59 AM
I agree with you that the management is to weak to really take hold of this oportunity and in the past any time they've tried to really challenge wwe they were shot down. But considering the state wwe is in right now with some many people frustrated, and management walking on eggshells because of teh campaign TNA could make a move that, while not closing the gap, could get them a lot more attention but they would have to do something seriously off the charts.

I've only recently begun watching tna again in the last two months after more then a year and a half of being sickened by them but right now their product is strong, they an amazing group of talent and they give them the time and freedom to show how good they are in the ring. SO while I don't think they are anywhere near closing the gap they are moving up into a better position, they still aren't competition but their getting to a point where wwe will have to start paying attention

Peter Kaymakcian
08-15-2012, 03:21 AM
Honestly, I love the evolution of Abyss, Aries, Roode, and Bully Ray so they have that righ

Abyss/Parks/Bully has been done right (I liked how Bully mentioned he learned sumn from the Lawyer on the last Impact)

Roodes and Aries both had lengthy runs that BOTH titles needed to establish a good value and "history" to them.

TNA has featured more time in the ring and less backstage or on the stage moments with the likes of Hogan/Bischoff/Sting (although Sting does get in one or two too many segments for my taste)

TNA has signed younger, not so well known stars in Kenny King, Mason Andrews (Scorpio Sky), Zema Ion, Jesse Sorrensen, rather than just any WWE talent to leave in the past year

TNA has pushed more homegrown talent which was a cry that MANY had from this company...

I think TNA has done quite a bit more things "right" than just the recent Aces&8s angle

I agree 100% with everything stated above. However how many times has TNA done stuff like this only for them to end abruptly for no reason? The answer is a lot. Remember when we thought that the MEM storyline was leading to the young guys getting a good push? Yeah that ended with the Band, RVD as champ, and then the formation of Immortal. Remember Samoa Joe being pushed as the face of the company? Yeah that ended with Joe being taken out by MEM, coming back to "murder" MEM, join MEM, rejoin the title hunt, captured by ninjas, obscurity, come back, obscurity, and now another come back. Jay Lethal got pushed how many times? How many times did those pushes get seen through? Look I understand if you want to trust TNA, but they have to much history of screwing up for me to fully trust them.

Darkside Ron Garvin
08-15-2012, 03:42 AM
I agree 100% with everything stated above. However how many times has TNA done stuff like this only for them to end abruptly for no reason? The answer is a lot. Remember when we thought that the MEM storyline was leading to the young guys getting a good push? Yeah that ended with the Band, RVD as champ, and then the formation of Immortal. Remember Samoa Joe being pushed as the face of the company? Yeah that ended with Joe being taken out by MEM, coming back to "murder" MEM, join MEM, rejoin the title hunt, captured by ninjas, obscurity, come back, obscurity, and now another come back. Jay Lethal got pushed how many times? How many times did those pushes get seen through? Look I understand if you want to trust TNA, but they have to much history of screwing up for me to fully trust them.

I am not disputing you logic. But I am going to argue one simple fact.

Who was the writer at the time of these bookings you stated?
Who is the current writer(s) at the time all of the angles/events I stated above took place?

There's a reason why the likes of Colt Cabana, CM Punk, and MANY of these industry guys who have a similiar mindset to those commonly found in the IWC all praise Dave LAgana. I believe this is what we're seeing with the latest trend in product improvement. Not stories that someone starts and forgets how to finish it before starting a new idea.

Poot-Hair
08-15-2012, 07:15 AM

Who is the current writer(s) at the time all of the angles/events I stated above took place?

There's a reason why the likes of Colt Cabana, CM Punk, and MANY of these industry guys who have a similiar mindset to those commonly found in the IWC all praise Dave LAgana. I believe this is what we're seeing with the latest trend in product improvement. Not stories that someone starts and forgets how to finish it before starting a new idea.I'll give TNA alot of credit here and say that they have been consitently staying with storylines, even if they are bad. They realize they have had a history of dropping storylines abruptly and they've worked towards correcting the problem. The Claire Lynch is ungodly awful but damnit they've been married to it and intend on finishing it up.

BTW Darkside, Everytime I see your Heyman sig I think everytime that the look on his face is "Omg I just saw your penis and it's horribly small"

ut11smithcor
08-15-2012, 07:44 AM
Another TNA "chance" thread. It will never happen unless since allows it to.

LostOmega
08-15-2012, 07:51 AM
I want TNA to be able to close the gap but I feel that the company is too small at this point to be able to do it. Can they close the gap? No, but they can take tgis chance and gain some exposure and expand their fanbase. WWE's problems aren't big enough to drag them down conpletely. Midcarders are replacable. TNA can't afford to lose too many people because the loss of good talent could cripple them. It's by this logic that I say TNA can't close the gap, but they can make it smaller.

bartish2
08-15-2012, 10:22 AM
wwe is a global company, TNA stays in 1 stadium 90% of the time and only tours 2 other countries... itd be hard but I wish they would.

Peter Kaymakcian
08-15-2012, 12:21 PM

There's a reason why the likes of Colt Cabana, CM Punk, and MANY of these industry guys who have a similiar mindset to those commonly found in the IWC all praise Dave LAgana. I believe this is what we're seeing with the latest trend in product improvement. Not stories that someone starts and forgets how to finish it before starting a new idea.

That is a very good point that I will admit that I over looked. I hope David LaGana is great for the company and has helped TNA grow, in my opinion, by leaps and bounds. However there still is a brain trust, Dixie, Hulk, and Bischoff, that just screams don't get your hopes up. I really, really hope I am wrong because wrestling needs a legitimate number two company. I just am not sure, yet, if TNA can be that company.

THE HEARTBREAK KID
08-15-2012, 12:30 PM
TNA are miles away from WWE.. it's not even close, TNA should continue what they are doing and just be them.. it will be years before they can ever compete with the WWE on a global scale if they ever can.

For starters if a free agent is offered a route too either WWE or TNA, 90% of the time they will choose WWE even though it's so much harder too make it and they will get less control of there characters.. that says how far TNA are away more then anything else IMO!

Cabers
08-15-2012, 03:33 PM
I watch WWE, TNA, ROH and NWA hollywood im saying this so i don't get branded as a wwe only guy.

Now as this may seem like a great opportunity for TNA to get some great talent you have to look at the financial situation of TNA which i think is rather shaky atm there ratings are not important its the amount of viewers they have (I don't understand the ratings system) i go by how many people watch the show.

Couple the finances with the fact they are losing a lot of good talent (Amazing Red, Jay Lethal and recently Velvet Sky) there tag team division was once the best in all the big companies now is worse than wwe's (Seriously think about it) a diminishing Knockouts division and rumours off more knockouts leaving the company. Then factor in the recent re-structuring of talent contracts.

Going by all this if they do get the opportunity it will either make them or break them would you go for?

longtimefan
08-15-2012, 03:58 PM
Is this TNA's chance?. I cannot answer that cause I do not know if wwe will do a purge and if so what talent will leave. Let me list 5 possible people to leave and what i think the chances are of TNA picking up.

Zach Ryder: if let go TNA will swoop in and pick up fast 100% chance cause he is a good fit for the direction of TNA.

Santino: I do not believe he is going anywhere and if he did I would give TNA a 5% chance of making a move. He is older and not and i do not see where he would fit in.

Alex Riley: if let go i would say 80% chance TNA picks up. Good talent and skill can work in the TNA enviroment.

Mason Ryan: Good chance this guy could be let go. Ryback has took over his power house role. TNA will 90% pick this guy up Good size for a little different feel in TNA.

AW: Already gone. TNA chance 50% as a wrestler 0% as a manager/announcer. Wrestling wise he would work there however TNA is about as pg as the E. Plus TNA may not go for him cause he did not have a lot of wrestling time on the big show.

imswm
08-15-2012, 04:38 PM

Yeah, but much of the screwing up (including your examples) was on the Russo As Booker watch. Clearly, Bruce Pritchard has a far better organized way of planning things out.

the-rocks-stunner
08-15-2012, 06:59 PM
They need to give Aries a long title run, he can't lose it anytime soon. Aries could be their John Cena of TNA in the future!

alcrissam
08-15-2012, 08:49 PM
the only way i see the gap getting closed is for 2 things to legit happen:

1. WWE needs to piss off their talents so much that they do something drastic and the ratings get substantially lower

2. TNA needs to do something INCREDIBLE to get their ratings up and get WWE fans to watch iMPACT

I am loving TNA, and trust me there is nothing MORE that i want then to see TNA catch up to WWE and we get some actual competition. I guess we can only hope at this point.

Peter Kaymakcian
08-15-2012, 09:08 PM
I think another thing we can all agree on that TNA has going for it over the WWE is that their championships actually mean something. Summerslam is going to be the first time since TLC that the WWE Championship or the World Heavyweight Championship will be defended in the main event. That is seven straight pay-per-views where the championship was behind something else. John Cena was above the title for five of those. With two matches against Big Show and John Laurinitis. I think in the long run this could be a huge plus for TNA and a huge knock against the WWE.

The Piper
08-15-2012, 10:00 PM
TNA has everything over WWE now, they're ratings may not change, but they still got insanely loyal fans in us.

HCollins-TNA1
08-15-2012, 10:51 PM
For the most part TNA has a long way to go.....
But they are making strives, well they was making strives even when Russo was there... But they was also behind.... Still is behind in so many aspects... But the changes they have made over the past 2 years with Creative.... then who is getting pushed and signed from younger stars and more TNA originals....

A big thing that hurt TNA right now is name recognition in the company it self.... With only 2 or 3 hours or programming as oppose to the WWE 8 hours.... Then not being on a channel that get more viewers...
I'm going to say give TNA another year to 5 years I believe they can gain more fans.... and eventually grow...

WeDominate99
08-16-2012, 09:29 AM
*The people who are frustrated said they love the company and won' t leave

*Since January the ratings are like these from SD and Raw

*Give me a date when iMPACT was over the 2,4 million viewers ?

*And the REAL wrestling fans would rather have a company that is alive 30 years and a show that finds his own talents instead of the talents from a other show (what tna does)

And it is going way better with WWE after the raw 1000

Simple answer NO it's not their chance they will never have a chance cause NOBODY in WWE sees them as a opponent

alcrissam
08-16-2012, 04:25 PM
*The people who are frustrated said they love the company and won' t leave

*Since January the ratings are like these from SD and Raw

*Give me a date when iMPACT was over the 2,4 million viewers ?

*And the REAL wrestling fans would rather have a company that is alive 30 years and a show that finds his own talents instead of the talents from a other show (what tna does)

And it is going way better with WWE after the raw 1000

Simple answer NO it's not their chance they will never have a chance cause NOBODY in WWE sees them as a opponent

Here is your problem. You prefer to look at the past and the very present, as in this very moment. You are not talking at all about the future. What happens when WWE slips and forgets that there is another wrestling company on TV and TNA (with the changes they are making for the better, considering WWE fans are actually switching over might i add) starts getting more viewers.

Oh one more thing, REAL wrestling fans would prefer WRESTLING over *lets give them 5 minutes where they each do 5 moves and uhhhhh make john cena look big*, better known as WWE.