PDA

View Full Version : Putting Over The Younger Talent

BadAndy
08-13-2012, 11:21 PM
We all know that Show and Kane are big time jobbers. They constantly give great matches that put over the talent in the ring with them (especially Kane). We've all seen since Jericho's return how his time in the WWE has been about putting over the other talent. He's going out with a bang by giving a great feud with Ziggler. Now I'm seeing that Christian is also doing the same thing. I know that Christian has been around for a long time, but I'm a little surprised he's doing this. I would've thought he'd be one to be in consideration for titles, not just being the one to remove the IC belt from Rhodes. I'm curious to hear what you guys think about Christian putting over the younger guys. Do you think this is a smart move on WWE's part? Do you think they are doing him wrong?

I'm a little of both. I personally feel he should have a good WC title run before he moves on to this part of his career (if this is indeed where his career is heading). I feel that if they are going to use Christian like they did tonight against Sandow, then it's a disgrace towards both. Their match was shorter than the Diva's match for goodness sake! However, his match against Cesaro on Smackdown was very good. Sure he won, but the point was for Cesaro to show a mean streak in how he loses. He definitely put Cesaro over despite the win. Overall, I think I'm for the older guys putting the younger talent over. The fans that go to the shows have a real problem with discerning talent, knowing when and who to cheer and boo for, and really recognizing great talent when they see it. Too often they are just dead when some of these great young guys are in the ring. I think that taking top talent veteran wrestlers and pitting them against the up and comers helps the fans in the arena to warm up to or direct their ire at the guys they are unfamiliar with or previously indifferent to.

Thepidgeonhunter
08-14-2012, 05:34 AM
As a Christian fan, I'm used to it. Vince has always disliked him. That's why he destroyed his first WHC reign last year (I still get angry when I think about this) and made him drop the title to Randy. Now, they gave him a meaningless IC championship reign and started to use him poorly. He doesn't even have a match at SS, which bothers me because he should be at least in an IC championship match. To be honest I think he deserves a respectfull WWE/WH championship reign more than anybody. His current booking is painful to watch. I think Christian should put over others because he's an established and reliable worker who always gets nice pops and works good matches, but I oppose the way WWE does so. He simply deserves more respecr and attention.

Christian is my favourite wrestler since I've started watching wrestling. I saw the ups and downs of his career. I'm really used to the mistreatment he receives but I will nover agree with that. He's too good to be a jobber. Losing to sandow was humiliating, cause he's a nobody right now.

FLWWEFan
08-14-2012, 09:09 AM
As a Christian fan, I'm used to it. Vince has always disliked him. That's why he destroyed his first WHC reign last year (I still get angry when I think about this) and made him drop the title to Randy. Now, they gave him a meaningless IC championship reign and started to use him poorly. He doesn't even have a match at SS, which bothers me because he should be at least in an IC championship match. To be honest I think he deserves a respectfull WWE/WH championship reign more than anybody. His current booking is painful to watch. I think Christian should put over others because he's an established and reliable worker who always gets nice pops and works good matches, but I oppose the way WWE does so. He simply deserves more respecr and attention.

Christian is my favourite wrestler since I've started watching wrestling. I saw the ups and downs of his career. I'm really used to the mistreatment he receives but I will nover agree with that. He's too good to be a jobber. Losing to sandow was humiliating, cause he's a nobody right now.

I wouldn't go that far as to calling Sandow a nobody. He's moving up the ranks rather quickly. By the end of the year he'll most likely have some sort of title, most likely the US Title.

BadAndy
08-14-2012, 10:22 AM
I'm not sure if you put Christian into the jobber category or the putting over talent category. That's kind of my question I guess. He's still winning some matches. His match against Sandow did look like he was a jobber. If they were wanting him to put Sandow over I guess it was to show that Sandow could totally destroy one of the big boys. As a Sandow and Christian fan, I'm not sure I like that though. I would much rather have seen a longer match with more back and forth.

Cabers
08-14-2012, 03:23 PM
I say Jericho will put Ziggles over the moon with this match i seriously cantr wait for this match HHH vs Lesnar better be on before them or i will have some insomnia repellent!!

BadAndy
08-14-2012, 04:13 PM
I say Jericho will put Ziggles over the moon with this match i seriously cantr wait for this match HHH vs Lesnar better be on before them or i will have some insomnia repellent!!

I have no doubt that he will. I love the fact that Jericho uses social media to really say how much he admires the new guys and how he's really done his best to put them over. He's accomplished so much. I'm just not sure that Christian is at that point in his career (age wise he might be). I feel Christian's story isn't over yet but it looks like that's what they are using him for now. I think Jericho wanted to do it but not sure about Christian.

ParagonOfVirtue
08-14-2012, 08:20 PM
I haven't had a chance to watch the Sandow match or anything sense yet, but I get the feeling ever since his return that Christian may be working himself towards retirement. It could explain a lot of what may be going on. I agree that Christian should be more of a major player and has no real reason to be outside of the main event. You have to remember that he's put his body through the meat grinder over the years. All the magnificent matches and high spots we got from him during the AE with Edge, the Hardy's, the Dudleyz.... I don't know his age, but he's not exactly young, and while he surely looks like he could go for quite some time, maybe he's smart enough to know when to hang it up. Maybe watching Edge go out like he did influenced this idea. Maybe that's not even the case. Whatever it is, I similarly see Christian in a much more positive light than Vince may.

I do have to disagree with the Sandow comment. Yes, I'm a Sandow supporter. I think he's great. I think he'll be on this ride for quite a while as long as he keeps it up. I don't disagree with what you said because of that. I disagree because even if I hated the guy, which a lot of people do, I would understand that he's doing his job and doing it well. Nobodies don't get time on the mic(unless they're about to be destroyed by Ryback, apparently), and if they do, it's few and far between. Sandow get's a lot of mic time, all things considered. Nobodies don't confront DX on milestone shows. Give him a chance. He's better than you may realize right now.

DK Wrestling Savior
08-14-2012, 08:30 PM

I agree with both things. One, Christian jobbing in squash fashion to overrated nothings like ADR and Sandow, is terrible. And two, he definitely deserves better, like a good title run. He should go back to TNA.

BadAndy
08-14-2012, 08:31 PM
I haven't had a chance to watch the Sandow match or anything sense yet, but I get the feeling ever since his return that Christian may be working himself towards retirement. It could explain a lot of what may be going on. I agree that Christian should be more of a major player and has no real reason to be outside of the main event. You have to remember that he's put his body through the meat grinder over the years. All the magnificent matches and high spots we got from him during the AE with Edge, the Hardy's, the Dudleyz.... I don't know his age, but he's not exactly young, and while he surely looks like he could go for quite some time, maybe he's smart enough to know when to hang it up. Maybe watching Edge go out like he did influenced this idea. Maybe that's not even the case. Whatever it is, I similarly see Christian in a much more positive light than Vince may.

I do have to disagree with the Sandow comment. Yes, I'm a Sandow supporter. I think he's great. I think he'll be on this ride for quite a while as long as he keeps it up. I don't disagree with what you said because of that. I disagree because even if I hated the guy, which a lot of people do, I would understand that he's doing his job and doing it well. Nobodies don't get time on the mic(unless they're about to be destroyed by Ryback, apparently), and if they do, it's few and far between. Sandow get's a lot of mic time, all things considered. Nobodies don't confront DX on milestone shows. Give him a chance. He's better than you may realize right now.

Um, who are you talking to? If to me I'm a HUGE Sandow fan. I just didn't like that the match was incredibly short. I'm not sure if it was short to make Sandow look so dangerous or because they were needing more time for the whole HHH/Lesnar thing. The tag match with Punk/Cena vs Show/Bryan finished a few minutes after 9:00. The Sandow vs Christian match was next and I think was done before 9:10. They then milked the HHH/Lesnar thing for the next 40 minutes. I think they could've done much more credit to Sandow and Christian by giving them a longer match.

BadAndy
08-14-2012, 08:34 PM
I agree with both things. One, Christian jobbing in squash fashion to overrated nothings like ADR and Sandow, is terrible. And two, he definitely deserves better, like a good title run. He should go back to TNA.

I hardly consider ADR or Sandow to be overrated nothings. These are two of the best on Smackdown and in the WWE right now and if ADR chooses to stick around for a while longer are the future. I think Paragon might be right about Christian getting closer to retirement.

ParagonOfVirtue
08-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Um, who are you talking to? If to me I'm a HUGE Sandow fan. I just didn't like that the match was incredibly short. I'm not sure if it was short to make Sandow look so dangerous or because they were needing more time for the whole HHH/Lesnar thing. The tag match with Punk/Cena vs Show/Bryan finished a few minutes after 9:00. The Sandow vs Christian match was next and I think was done before 9:10. They then milked the HHH/Lesnar thing for the next 40 minutes. I think they could've done much more credit to Sandow and Christian by giving them a longer match.

It was in reference to pigeonhunter, not you badandy. My apologies for confusion, I didn't add the quote. But yeah, basically just echoing many things here. Christian deserves better, but there's always a chance that maybe he's willing to do the things that are happening because he may be considering leaving the game. I haven't gotten around to watching the match yet; hopefully I'll be able to tomorrow, it may change perspective. I just didn't agree with the comment about Sandow being a nobody. Maybe in some peoples eyes, he is a nobody, but the truth is, he is quite possibly the best pure heel character we've seen in some time. The added bonus is, he fits the mold well, and makes an otherwise potentially stale, played out gimmick refreshing and worth watching. Perhaps a little too callous in my delivery, but I tried to make a couple of points about how "nobody" doesn't generally get put in the situations he has been so far. I applaud the WWE for actually taking their time on this guy. Slowly, methodically adding him into more segments in an effort to saturate the E' universe with his presence. I just hope they don't pull the trigger and throw him directly into a mid-card title any time soon. Sandow is one of those guys that can be built up and add some flare to the mid-card. We need more non-title, non-"two weekend a year" feuds.