PDA

View Full Version : Sega Dreamcast

AWrestlingGod
08-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Earlier today I had hooked up my old Sega Dreamcast and had a blast playing Sonic Adventure, House of the Dead, Power Stone, and realized how much I loved the system.

I wanted to know do/did any of you guys enjoyed the system, what was your favorite game for the system (sonic adventure was mine) what was the last game you beat on it before you switched to either the xbox or ps2. And why do you think the system didn't succeed.

I loved the system, and wanted to hear your guys joys, experiences, and even negative experiences playing the system.

Darkside Ron Garvin
08-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Earlier today I had hooked up my old Sega Dreamcast and had a blast playing Sonic Adventure, House of the Dead, Power Stone, and realized how much I loved the system.

I wanted to know do/did any of you guys enjoyed the system, what was your favorite game for the system (sonic adventure was mine) what was the last game you beat on it before you switched to either the xbox or ps2. And why do you think the system didn't succeed.

I loved the system, and wanted to hear your guys joys, experiences, and even negative experiences playing the system.

Loved Marvel v Capcom 2.

Beat Godzilla wars

Failed due to Playstations ability to put out more consistantly good games.

Joys? Spending 2 days straight killing off friends in battles while playing as MegaMan and Jin. Was Awesome

akbar
08-04-2012, 09:54 PM
San Andres is my favourite game ever ever ever, and it's the only reason I still have ps2 connected to my tv.

Dubs
08-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Great thread man! I love Dreamcast.

My favorite game for Dreamcast is Jet Grind Radio. That was the first game I ever played on the system and would play it like every single day. Shenmue was also a good game. It had great graphics for a game that was 13 years old. The gameplay was good. Although it got a little boring at times. I wish I had my Dreamcast just to play these games again.

The last game I beat on the Dreamcast was Soul Calibur. Than after that, my Dreamcast broke and that's that I guess. lol

Honestly, I think Dreamcast did succeed despite Saga no longer producing them. It's still considered one of the best gaming systems of all time.

Darkside Ron Garvin
08-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Great thread man! I love Dreamcast.

My favorite game for Dreamcast is Jet Grind Radio.

Honestly, I think Dreamcast did succeed despite Saga no longer producing them. It's still considered one of the best gaming systems of all time.

Awesome game! And great point. Dreamcast is still highly regarded in the gaming world... Much higher than SegaCD lmao

AWrestlingGod
08-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Awesome game! And great point. Dreamcast is still highly regarded in the gaming world... Much higher than SegaCD lmao

Never played SegaCD lol every once in a while I'll go on ebay and search for sega dreamcast games for sell

akbar
08-04-2012, 10:08 PM
San Andres is my favourite game ever ever ever, and it's the only reason I still have ps2 connected to my tv.
I now realise this don't relate to the thread, I just read ps2 and went crazy...

Btw I've never played Dreamcast.:o

Dubs
08-04-2012, 10:14 PM
lol I remember buying Sega CD. The damn thing had slow disc access. Though the ad for it was awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTti_gynVoU
(if anybody remembers this, you are awesome.)

I now realise this don't relate to the thread, I just read ps2 and went crazy...

Really? For shame! :p

Darkside Ron Garvin
08-04-2012, 10:19 PM

Haha, I was wondering why you posted about ps2 games in a DreamCast thread.

AWrestlingGod
08-04-2012, 10:20 PM
lol I remember buying Sega CD. The damn thing had slow disc access. Though the ad for it was awesome.

Nintendon't is really clever.

Darkside Ron Garvin
08-04-2012, 10:32 PM
Never played SegaCD lol every once in a while I'll go on ebay and search for sega dreamcast games for sell

I played it a few times, but I spent my $$$ on a 3DO at the time for Alone in the Dark, Gex, Jurrasic Park Interactive, MYST, Samuria Showdown, and of course Way of the Warrior

Really? For shame! :p

Haha, I loved that commecial. I always wanted to play sewer shark on that system

Darkside Ron Garvin
08-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Isn't Dreamcast the system that had the one good Gundam game to have ever been released? Don't remember the name, but it came out during the Dreamcasts lifespan for sure

AWrestlingGod
08-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Isn't Dreamcast the system that had the one good Gundam game to have ever been released? Don't remember the name, but it came out during the Dreamcasts lifespan for sure

Gundam: Rise? Something something.

Darkside Ron Garvin
08-04-2012, 11:00 PM
Gundam: Rise? Something something.

Rise from the Ashes (had to google it)

But I think the one I am talking about is different. I know it was an import, but can't seem to find it online

AWrestlingGod
08-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Rise from the Ashes (had to google it)

But I think the one I am talking about is different. I know it was an import, but can't seem to find it online

Ha that's the only gundam game I remembered

Darkside Ron Garvin
08-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Ha that's the only gundam game I remembered

lol, honestly as great as the series was, I am surprised most Gundam games suck... I guess it's similiar to the Transformers problem with video games. They will never live up to the idea you have in your head for them

AWrestlingGod
08-04-2012, 11:38 PM
lol, honestly as great as the series was, I am surprised most Gundam games suck... I guess it's similiar to the Transformers problem with video games. They will never live up to the idea you have in your head for them

Yea how hard can it be to come up with a game about giant fighting robots, shooting each other, great graphics, and a nice story.. Though War for Cybertron was decent

Darkside Ron Garvin
08-04-2012, 11:52 PM
Yea how hard can it be to come up with a game about giant fighting robots, shooting each other, great graphics, and a nice story.. Though War for Cybertron was decent

WFC was the best attempt to date. I think the whole thing falls in the catergory of Jules Verne syndrom... There is no way for the picture I see on the screen to ever compare to the vision I have in my head of how it's supposed to be

AWrestlingGod
08-04-2012, 11:58 PM
WFC was the best attempt to date. I think the whole thing falls in the catergory of Jules Verne syndrom... There is no way for the picture I see on the screen to ever compare to the vision I have in my head of how it's supposed to be

Yea it was a great attempt, I'm not sure if there planning anymore games in the transformers series.

Darkside Ron Garvin
08-05-2012, 12:11 AM
Yea it was a great attempt, I'm not sure if there planning anymore games in the transformers series.

You hear whispers about it here and there. It obviously can't be worse than some of the others, but I hope they keep on the path that was the Cybertron game...

Back to DreamCast

House of the Dead 2
Crazi Taxi
Dead or Alive 2
Legacy of Kane: Soul Reaver
Quake 3: Arena
Ready to Rumble Boxing
Sega Bass Fishing
Silent Scope (my favorite Arcade game of all time)
Time Stalkers
Unreal Tournament
Virtual Tennis

These are a few games I have fond memories of playing on the DreamCast

AWrestlingGod
08-05-2012, 12:19 AM
House of the Dead 2
Crazi Taxi
Dead or Alive 2
Ready to Rumble Boxing
Unreal Tournament

These are the games I played off your list... I love all of them.

Darkside Ron Garvin
08-05-2012, 12:44 AM
These are the games I played off your list... I love all of them.

I was a big fan of DOA when I got it. Unreal was SICK. The replayability of the multiplay was unheard of for it's day.

Wade Barrett 1979
08-05-2012, 04:29 AM
Awesome machine, still have mine.

I would have to say Jet Set (Grind) Radio and Soul Calibur were my favourite two, Soul Calibur for Dreamcast is probably the best port of the game ever.

It was purely down to lack of 3rd party game developers, willing to port games over or create games for the machine. Such a crushing shame, the Dreamcast had so much potential but Sega screwed themselves with the Saturn, which was apparently a developers nightmare.

AWrestlingGod
08-05-2012, 04:37 AM
Awesome machine, still have mine.

I would have to say Jet Set (Grind) Radio and Soul Calibur were my favourite two, Soul Calibur for Dreamcast is probably the best port of the game ever.

It was purely down to lack of 3rd party game developers, willing to port games over or create games for the machine. Such a crushing shame, the Dreamcast had so much potential but Sega screwed themselves with the Saturn, which was apparently a developers nightmare.

I loved Soul Calibur which is arguably still the greatest fighting game of all time.

Darkside Ron Garvin
08-05-2012, 05:19 AM
Soul Cal is excellent, but I find the Debate of "Best Dreamcast Fighting Game" always falls between Sould Cal and Marvel vs. Capcom 2...

It's been a similiar debate to the Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter

I am a MvC and a MK guy. I guess that shows how my approach to fighting games is lol. I'd rather go for quick pace, quick round combos than in depth button combinations.

Tommy Thunder
08-05-2012, 06:08 AM
Ahh, the Sega Dreamcast really was a marvelous machine. A shame that Sega stopped investing in their games console department, because they really were at the forefront back in the day. They were the first to incorporate online play!

I loved Shenmue. An incredible open world game. Apparently Yu Suzuki in on the verge of securing the game's rights from Sega, so that he can make the third and final installment of the game. I always hated that they didn't manage to get the 3rd game out, but if Suzuki gets the rights, we'll see it for sure.

Most of the Sonic games were of course excellent.

There was an ECW game that was pretty cool. Can't remember which one it was though.

House of the Dead 2 with the light-gun was also a favorite of mine.

Dubs
08-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Seaman was just amazing. I am lucky to have played such a splendid game like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb7IbLEPRUs&feature=related
Ah, the memories!

Wade Barrett 1979
08-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Seaman was just amazing. I am lucky to have played such a splendid game like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb7IbLEPRUs&feature=related
Ah, the memories!

Man I missed this one. :D

HeelTurn
08-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Sonic Adventure 2 was very underrated in my opinion, it had its flaws but it was still fun.

House of the Dead 2 was the best in the series until Overkill on the Wii.

Resident Evil 2 and 3 as well as Code Veronica were fantastic games to.

Iron Ape
08-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Ahh, the Sega Dreamcast really was a marvelous machine. A shame that Sega stopped investing in their games console department, because they really were at the forefront back in the day. They were the first to incorporate online play!
Actually, online gaming network XBAND hit both Genesis and Super Nintendo roughly four years before Sega's Dreamcast came out.

AWrestlingGod
08-05-2012, 08:12 PM

House of the Dead 2 had the best boss battles especially when you have the light gun, that giant welding chainsaw dude was such a bitch to kill when I was young

Krysys
08-05-2012, 08:41 PM

I loved Shenmue. An incredible open world game. Apparently Yu Suzuki in on the verge of securing the game's rights from Sega, so that he can make the third and final installment of the game. I always hated that they didn't manage to get the 3rd game out, but if Suzuki gets the rights, we'll see it for sure.

Most of the Sonic games were of course excellent.

There was an ECW game that was pretty cool. Can't remember which one it was though.

That would be...

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/ECW-HARDCORE-REVOLUTION-Nice-Sega-Dreamcast-DC-/00/$(KGrHqQOKiYE3lCCOq3SBOEMM-vbd!~~0_35.JPG

supergoing
08-05-2012, 08:46 PM
There were a tonne of great shmups for Dreamcast, if you're into those sorta games. Ikaruga and Gigawing come to mind as being especially awesome.

My Dreamcast model could read games that were burned onto a CD-R(*), so I actually used the console sporadically well into the late noughties. I know there were still homebrew games and arcade ports being released for the system as late as 2009, but I'm not sure if the whole DC community is quite as active as it once was.

Nonetheless, my fondest memories of the Dreamcast is playing Chu Chu Rocket online, which I managed to get for free by logging onto the Sega website. The console was also my first shot of the internet as well, since our family computer didn't have a modem at the time. I remember going onto the in-built chatroom and being confused about why I was being called an a/s/l. :confused:

(*) - All or most of the earlier models could, I believe. It was before they changed the colour of the spiral from orange to blue, or something like that? I don't really remember how it works. I discovered it by complete accident though.

Tomsta666
08-06-2012, 02:34 AM
I still have my Dreamcast with over 400 (copied;)) games. The ease of pirating games was probably a major contributor in why it failed as a console. But it definitely deserves it's place as a console cult classic.

AWrestlingGod
08-06-2012, 02:49 AM
I still have my Dreamcast with over 400 (copied;)) games. The ease of pirating games was probably a major contributor in why it failed as a console. But it definitely deserves it's place as a console cult classic.

I always wanted to learn how to do that haha but to lazy to figure it out

Tommy Thunder
08-06-2012, 06:16 AM

I wouldn't say that the Dreamcast failed as a console. It was a pioneer in the consoling world IMO. Pirating issues aside, it was a fantastic console.

HeelTurn
08-06-2012, 06:18 AM
The Dreamcast was great, its just unlucky for Sega that the Playstation and N64 came out around the same time.

Tommy Thunder
08-06-2012, 06:30 AM
House of the Dead 2 had the best boss battles especially when you have the light gun, that giant welding chainsaw dude was such a bitch to kill when I was young

Yeah I remember that bad boy! There was also one dressed as a postman (the first boss if I remember correctly) that was a real bitch!

That would be...

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/ECW-HARDCORE-REVOLUTION-Nice-Sega-Dreamcast-DC-/00/$(KGrHqQOKiYE3lCCOq3SBOEMM-vbd!~~0_35.JPG

That's the one! My friend and I had a blast constructing ppv's and then playing them on that!

Wade Barrett 1979
08-06-2012, 06:42 AM
The Dreamcast was great, its just unlucky for Sega that the Playstation and N64 came out around the same time.

It wasn't really the N64, it was the PS2 launch that knackered it.

Tomsta666
08-06-2012, 06:48 AM

Yep. And the fact that the PS2 had an inbuilt DVD player and backwards compatibly.

Tommy Thunder
08-06-2012, 08:11 AM

I wouldn't say it was that either. It was just the fact that Sega had massive debts and had to stop investing in some departments. The games console department, mainly the investment in the Dremcast, was one of the departments that they decided to cull. Because of the debts they weren't able to invest enough into the Dreamcast to be able to compete with Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft.

They're still developing games software and games though.

Wade Barrett 1979
08-06-2012, 08:37 AM
I wouldn't say it was that either. It was just the fact that Sega had massive debts and had to stop investing in some departments. The games console department, mainly the investment in the Dremcast, was one of the departments that they decided to cull. Because of the debts they weren't able to invest enough into the Dreamcast to be able to compete with Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft.

They're still developing games software and games though.

Dreamcast sales went up 156% from July to September '00. PS2 had a bigger impact than many realise, so said Bernie Stoler apparently.

Plus as I stated before, Sega put off a lot of 3rd party developers with the Saturn, who all jumped allegience to Playstation which was extremely easy to develop for. Dreamcast was done nearly 11 months before the Xbox was released.

Mainly the new Sega Chairman wanted a concentration on software too.

Wade Barrett 1979
08-06-2012, 08:40 AM
There were a tonne of great shmups for Dreamcast, if you're into those sorta games. Ikaruga and Gigawing come to mind as being especially awesome.

My Dreamcast model could read games that were burned onto a CD-R(*), so I actually used the console sporadically well into the late noughties. I know there were still homebrew games and arcade ports being released for the system as late as 2009, but I'm not sure if the whole DC community is quite as active as it once was.

Nonetheless, my fondest memories of the Dreamcast is playing Chu Chu Rocket online, which I managed to get for free by logging onto the Sega website. The console was also my first shot of the internet as well, since our family computer didn't have a modem at the time. I remember going onto the in-built chatroom and being confused about why I was being called an a/s/l. :confused:

(*) - All or most of the earlier models could, I believe. It was before they changed the colour of the spiral from orange to blue, or something like that? I don't really remember how it works. I discovered it by complete accident though.

The spiral colour was territory dependant; Orange for Japan, Red for North America and Blue for PAL regions.

HeelTurn
08-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Wasn't the PS2 the best selling console of all time? If not its got to be one of the highest.

Shenmue, as good as it was, helped gain Sega some insurmountable debts.

Viperfish
08-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Dat Shenmue... mmm. I remember renting it and being totally blown away with it. Had to buy it even though I beat it in the week that I rented it. Then I bought an import copy of the European release of Shenmue 2 when it came out... easily the best version of it by far as it had the original Japanese voicing, plus English subtitles. As awesome as the series is, the English voice acting is atrocious. I even have the Xbox version of Shenmue 2.

EDIT: Quick shot of my baby.

http://i48.tinypic.com/jj00pd.jpg

Asherdelampyr
08-06-2012, 12:52 PM
I loved the dreamcast and when it was discontinued it made me sad
though I did not care for the controller design.

Wade Barrett 1979
08-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Wasn't the PS2 the best selling console of all time? If not its got to be one of the highest.

Shenmue, as good as it was, helped gain Sega some insurmountable debts.

Yup still is, just. About a million or so units ahead of the DS.

Tommy Thunder
08-06-2012, 01:48 PM

We're surely not counting the DS as a console are we? To me it's a hand-held console, which is a whole different market IMO.

Asherdelampyr
08-06-2012, 01:49 PM

and they are still selling.

Tommy Thunder
08-06-2012, 01:50 PM
and they are still selling.

The PS2 is a beast of a console. I'm so glad that I've taken care of mine so that it's still in pristine condition!

Tomsta666
08-06-2012, 01:51 PM
As awesome as the series is, the English voice acting is atrocious.

Do you you know where I can find any Sailors around here?

HEY MISTER!! Wanna wrestle?

Tommy Thunder
08-06-2012, 01:53 PM

Ahhh, good times :')

AWrestlingGod
08-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Yeah I remember that bad boy! There was also one dressed as a postman (the first boss if I remember correctly) that was a real bitch!

And then they had the Magician come back and I'm like ah not this bitch again haha he always got me haha

AWrestlingGod
08-06-2012, 02:29 PM

All of the Sailors are big you now.

Wade Barrett 1979
08-06-2012, 02:59 PM
We're surely not counting the DS as a console are we? To me it's a hand-held console, which is a whole different market IMO.

Type in top selling consoles and it comes up.

Dubs
08-06-2012, 03:01 PM

*Ding*

"I will get them father."

Asherdelampyr
08-06-2012, 03:02 PM

console is right there in the name, isn't it?
and with that in mind, if you separate them, what is the PSone?
http://di1-3.shoppingshadow.com/images/pi/6c/ef/97/88229359-260x260-0-0_Sony+PSone.jpg
(Besides awesome and in sore need of a PS3 version)

Iron Ape
08-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Specifically, it was The Matrix that's mainly responsible. PS2 sales were sluggish out of the gate...and then The Matrix hit DVD. That pushed PS2 sales more than any piece of software, and the rest is history.

Wade Barrett 1979
08-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Specifically, it was The Matrix that's mainly responsible. PS2 sales were sluggish out of the gate...and then The Matrix hit DVD. That pushed PS2 sales more than any piece of software, and the rest is history.

That I did not know.

Well there you go, Keanu 'woodentop' Reeves was responsible.

Tommy Thunder
08-06-2012, 05:02 PM
console is right there in the name, isn't it?
and with that in mind, if you separate them, what is the PSone?
http://di1-3.shoppingshadow.com/images/pi/6c/ef/97/88229359-260x260-0-0_Sony+PSone.jpg
(Besides awesome and in sore need of a PS3 version)

The hand-held, portable market is separate from the bigger consoles in my book.
The PSone isn't a handheld device.

Tommy Thunder
08-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Type in top selling consoles and it comes up.

I said; "IMO".

Dubs
08-09-2012, 10:40 PM
How could I ever forget Ready 2 Rumble? Such a classic boxing game! Afro Thunder FTW! I still don't know how to unlock Ruble Man.

AWrestlingGod
08-10-2012, 12:44 AM
How could I ever forget Ready 2 Rumble? Such a classic boxing game! Afro Thunder FTW! I still don't know how to unlock Ruble Man.

You beat the game with each character, or use cheat codes. My favorite character was FREAK EEEEEE DEKE... haha

AWrestlingGod
12-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Random. But I just replayed Shenmue and I must say this is in my top favorite games of all time. I have also preordered Shenmue 2 I'm so excited.