PDA

View Full Version : The Damien Sandow Craze

The KANEROONIE!!!
08-04-2012, 02:55 PM
So, after reading a certain (non articulated, non elaborated) post, I decided to post this, because I just don't see it.

Ok, let me rephrase. I do like Damien Sandow. I think he plays his role well, and he has the skills to succeed to some level. He, in a way, reminds me of the days when Steven Richards and Right to Censor ran around "cleaning up" the WWF. But I don't understand where the obsession comes from. Sandow, in my personal opinion, has all the tools to be a long standing upper midcarder, but I can't seem to see the guy as a future WHC. Some guys just aren't meant for it (it still to this day pains me to realize that Swagger will never again hold that belt, but I think I'm alone on that one). Zack Ryder, for instance. Love him or hate him, the guy gets huge pops. And if he stays in good graces with the company, I can see him going good places. Midcard? Definitely. But he's never gonna be the guy Headlining Wrestlemania. He just isn't. Sandow falls into that category for me. It takes a certain "It" factor to break that threshold, and I just don't see "it" in him. Not now, at least.

So, what is it that I'm missing with Sandow? Thank you in advance (Yes, I know what I just set myself up for :p).

Dennis
08-04-2012, 03:15 PM
I respectfully disagree. sandow has the it factor and IMO will be a future multi-time world champion. he has the gimmick (being an true heel), he has the size of a superstar(same height and weights slightly more than randy orton), and the mic skills to be a main eventer sooner than later.

grave
08-04-2012, 03:15 PM
WWE lacks good heels for the moment, so anybody who looks like a promising heel gets a big reaction. But I do think Sandow can be in the title picture at some point. not that he is going to win it but he can be pushed into upper midcard on minor PPV.
WWE needs to start to push there heel superstars. let's hope that CM punk gets a good run, Miz gets back in main event and that a few young guys get a push like cody rhodes and Damien Sandow

HeelTurn
08-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Its too soon to really base an opinion on this guy. He cuts a good promo and can wrestle a decent match, plus he is believable in his role, his previous gimmick of McCool's teachers pet didn't really get off the ground. I hope he does well though and that the WWE don't lose interest in him if he doesn't get "over" enough.

Sydnister
08-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Ok, let me rephrase. I do like Damien Sandow. I think he plays his role well, and he has the skills to succeed to some level. He, in a way, reminds me of the days when Steven Richards and Right to Censor ran around "cleaning up" the WWF. But I don't understand where the obsession comes from. Sandow, in my personal opinion, has all the tools to be a long standing upper midcarder, but I can't seem to see the guy as a future WHC.

I agree with you 100%. I think Sandow has a lot going for him but I do not see him as the next big thing... ever. He is playing his gimmick fairly well although I think it is a rehash of many other gimmicks and I personally find it boring on many levels. He just isn't getting over with me at all. Solid mid card but no further is my prediction. I do actually hope he proves me wrong.

steveorton
08-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Sandow has a great character, nice mic skills and is good in the ring. I can see him holding a midcard title in the coming months however to say if he'll main event WM it's too early in his career. More development and his name has to get out there more. Give it some time and lets see what Sandow can do.

HeelTurn
08-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Out of the crop of "new" guys (Tensai, Brodus, Cesaro, Ryback etc) I think Sandow is the better, and will be better for the mid-card than the others.

Sydnister
08-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Out of the crop of "new" guys (Tensai, Brodus, Cesaro, Ryback etc) I think Sandow is the better, and will be better for the mid-card than the others.

Definitely!!!

Viperfish
08-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Headlining Wrestlemania? Naw... but I think he can carry the big strap. He strikes me as a guy that might get a sneaky win in, kind of like Daniel Bryan who then wormed his way out of a lot of things.

johnnydropkicks
08-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Sandow's got more of a character and better mic skills than most of the newer guys in WWE some have been around for a little while.

definitely he is the next heel macho man. he is the future top heel or one of them.

people obsess because he is a lot better a lot sooner than most people.

Tommy Thunder
08-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Allow me to beg your indulgence for one moment.

Like you, I think that Damien Sandow has all the tools (mic skills, in ring ability, charisma) to be a top notch midcarder. But I also think he has the potential to break into the upper tier and eventually hold the big strap. He'll be different perhaps, but it would be really refreshing to see someone who executes a proper gimmick as well as he does involved in the main event and even holding the main title.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/21525993.jpg

Darkside Ron Garvin
08-04-2012, 06:32 PM
So, after reading a certain (non articulated, non elaborated) post, I decided to post this, because I just don't see it.

Ok, let me rephrase. I do like Damien Sandow. I think he plays his role well, and he has the skills to succeed to some level. He, in a way, reminds me of the days when Steven Richards and Right to Censor ran around "cleaning up" the WWF. But I don't understand where the obsession comes from. Sandow, in my personal opinion, has all the tools to be a long standing upper midcarder, but I can't seem to see the guy as a future WHC. Some guys just aren't meant for it (it still to this day pains me to realize that Swagger will never again hold that belt, but I think I'm alone on that one). Zack Ryder, for instance. Love him or hate him, the guy gets huge pops. And if he stays in good graces with the company, I can see him going good places. Midcard? Definitely. But he's never gonna be the guy Headlining Wrestlemania. He just isn't. Sandow falls into that category for me. It takes a certain "It" factor to break that threshold, and I just don't see "it" in him. Not now, at least.

So, what is it that I'm missing with Sandow? Thank you in advance (Yes, I know what I just set myself up for :p).

I can only elaborate to this thread simply by giving you this piece of beautiful video...

http://i.imgur.com/Cc7Uo.gif

BadAndy
08-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Sandow doesn't seem like he's acting. He almost seems a natural at his role. He is phenomenal in the ring. He has this great ability to flip the switch and go from above it all to ruthless. And he sports pink trunks. There is nothing to not get. He is the total heel package. Whereas they have this gimmick for Del Rio that is similar, Sandow portrays the uppity, arrogant, and haughty so well. What's not to love with the elbow in the face while in repose during the pin, or the somersault/back flip he does after taking the opponent to the mat. I could go on and on about what makes him so damn entertaining and enlightening.

BadAndy
08-04-2012, 06:58 PM

Like you, I think that Damien Sandow has all the tools (mic skills, in ring ability, charisma) to be a top notch midcarder. But I also think he has the potential to break into the upper tier and eventually hold the big strap. He'll be different perhaps, but it would be really refreshing to see someone who executes a proper gimmick as well as he does involved in the main event and even holding the main title.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/21525993.jpg

This guy is the next Ziggler or Rhodes. He'll hold a midcard title until he's done his time, then naturally fall into the main event where he truly belongs. I know Rhodes hasn't yet but he will. I only see top heel in Sandow, nothing less.

Tommy Thunder
08-04-2012, 06:59 PM
I can only elaborate to this thread simply by giving you this piece of beautiful video...

http://i.imgur.com/Cc7Uo.gif

Haha!! See, if a wrestler's got countless memes and videos to go with him, then you know he's good, and Sandow's already got a lot of them out there!!

Darkside Ron Garvin
08-04-2012, 11:32 PM
Haha!! See, if a wrestler's got countless memes and videos to go with him, then you know he's good, and Sandow's already got a lot of them out there!!

So there!!!

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5bt7zfHTh1qgbuor.gif

Dennis
08-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Sandow doesn't seem like he's acting. He almost seems a natural at his role. He is phenomenal in the ring. He has this great ability to flip the switch and go from above it all to ruthless. And he sports pink trunks. There is nothing to not get. He is the total heel package. Whereas they have this gimmick for Del Rio that is similar, Sandow portrays the uppity, arrogant, and haughty so well. What's not to love with the elbow in the face while in repose during the pin, or the somersault/back flip he does after taking the opponent to the mat. I could go on and on about what makes him so damn entertaining and enlightening.
I agree.. it almost seems like sandow is probably that guy just exaggerated a little to give him even more arrogance.. his character is fun to watch even when he is getting owned by dx

BadAndy
08-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Darkside, Paul Heyman is creeping me the F out! Those beady eyes see right into my soul and make me shiver.

On the other hand, I LOVE the Sandow gif. That cat cracks me up!

Darkside Ron Garvin
08-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Darkside, Paul Heyman is creeping me the F out! Those beady eyes see right into my soul and make me shiver.

On the other hand, I LOVE the Sandow gif. That cat cracks me up!

Haha, I'm changing my signature now! lmao

Sahu
08-05-2012, 12:41 AM

I love this guy. Every bit of him..his mic skills, his facial expressions, his over all acting, his in ring skills, his LOOK, even his ring attire..I mean, when I first saw him in that jacket (or what ever u call it).I always wanted to know what would be his wrestling gear n when he removed his jacket n found him wearing PINK I just can't control my laughter....AN INTELLECTUAL SAVIOUR WITH PINK ATTIRE is something really hilarious......

Side Note: I liked when he called DX a bunch of bafoons...lols I laughed my ass out...

WWE should not push him immediately..

Let him grow slowly...First into Mid card and then slowly growing into upper midcard n finally break into Top Tier...n I wish he and his character also evolve with time...

Darkside Ron Garvin
08-05-2012, 12:46 AM

I love this guy. Every bit of him..his mic skills, his facial expressions, his over all acting, his in ring skills, his LOOK, even his ring attire..I mean, when I first saw him in that jacket (or what ever u call it).I always wanted to know what would be his wrestling gear n when he removed his jacket n found him wearing PINK I just can't control my laughter....AN INTELLECTUAL SAVIOUR WITH PINK ATTIRE is something really hilarious......

Side Note: I liked when he called DX a bunch of bafoons...lols I laughed my ass out...

Let him grow slowly...First into Mid card and then slowly growing into upper midcard n finally break into Top Tier...n I wish he and his character also evolve with time...

Sahu, I love you brother. You give me funny statements like this that crack me up and make me laugh out my ass as well.

BadAndy
08-05-2012, 12:53 AM

It doesn't matter where we're from, those of us that know our Intellectual Savior when we see him, LOVE him! I love the fact that he's man enough to wear pink. I also agree to put this guy in a good mid-card match and work him up. I'd personally love to see a Sandow/Jericho feud. Alas, Jericho is leaving us again though.

Darkside Ron Garvin
08-05-2012, 12:57 AM
It doesn't matter where we're from, those of us that know our Intellectual Savior when we see him, LOVE him! I love the fact that he's man enough to wear pink. I also agree to put this guy in a good mid-card match and work him up. I'd personally love to see a Sandow/Jericho feud. Alas, Jericho is leaving us again though.

I stand by my point from the Ziggler thread in that Barrett should be injected in that fued... But to have Sandow/Jericho upon Jerichos return would be something I would pleasantly and anxiously await.

Peter Kaymakcian
08-05-2012, 04:09 AM
I have to respectfully disagree with the OP on this topic. In my opinion Sandow will be one the WWE's biggest heels in two to three years along side Wade Barrett, Dolph Ziggler, and Cody Rhodes. If you look at WWE's roster right now there isn't that many great heels there. You have Del Rio who will probably be gone in a few years or retire. Daniel Bryan is already being talked about being turned into a face. CM Punk won't stay heel past Summerslam next year. Big Show will be retiring soon. Who else is there to be their. I also think he is better on the mic then a lot of the WWE roster at the moment and is a stand out performer in the ring.

Sahu
08-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Sahu, I love you brother. You give me funny statements like this that crack me up and make me laugh out my ass as well.

Be it symbolic, or genetic, I am by no means your brother..:P

You are WELCOME!!!

ParagonOfVirtue
08-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Twenty years from now you'll be telling your kids or grandkids about how awesome of a heel Damien Sandow was.

Viperfish
08-06-2012, 03:22 AM
Twenty years from now you'll be telling your kids or grandkids about how awesome of a heel Damien Sandow was.

Twenty years from now Damien Sandow might still be wrestling. He's only 30, and there have been 50-year-old wrestlers before. I don't know if that's what he wants to do, but I thought a statement like that might be fitting for someone on the twilight of their career in their 40s or 50s. =p

Cabers
08-06-2012, 01:52 PM
How can you not like the character i cant name anyone who has done anything like it before its really fresh and he is only getting started.

BadAndy
08-06-2012, 02:33 PM
How can you not like the character i cant name anyone who has done anything like it before its really fresh and he is only getting started.

It is a little reminiscent of the Connecticut Blueblood bit. I'm sure other wrestlers have done it as well. The thing about Sandow is that he does it all so naturally. It doesn't seem like an oaf reading a script.

samoan619
08-06-2012, 03:16 PM
I honestly like the Damien Sandow character, it doesn't bore me, it actually intrigues me.. I think I would be excited to tune in if the WWE main championships received some "Enlightenment".

tdp
08-06-2012, 04:05 PM
I think Sandow is great. I'm super biased towards heels but he plays one perfectly. The only thing I could hold against him is I don't feel he could succeed as a face, who knows though stranger things have happened. Currently his gimmick, look, mic skill and in-ring abilities are all top notch. If Miz can be WWE champ then Sandow is a lock for a long major title run in the future.

HeelTurn
08-06-2012, 04:40 PM
He should do some Enlightenment video packages, much like what Cody did when he was "Dashing".

FLWWEFan
08-08-2012, 07:44 AM
Sandow has everything going for him right now. He's fairly young, talented in the ring, and one of the best on the mic. The only downfall might be his current character. Not sure how far it can take him. I think if he were to get elevated to that top level, he would need a tweak with his gimmick. But right now it's working and I'm highly enjoying it.

ParagonOfVirtue
08-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Sandow has everything going for him right now. He's fairly young, talented in the ring, and one of the best on the mic. The only downfall might be his current character. Not sure how far it can take him. I think if he were to get elevated to that top level, he would need a tweak with his gimmick. But right now it's working and I'm highly enjoying it.

I don't even know how you can say that! Sandow, right now, the whole package.... is PERFECT! His size, his build, his look, his style, his charisma(yes, heel's have that too), his skill on the mic. Everything about this man, in this role, as this character, is perfect. Purple and pink ring gear? Genius. FFS, his BEARD is even perfect. I'm sure he could make a great face. You know someone else who can play a great face, but even when he does he's still a heel? RIC FLAIR. Never changed his gimmick. Not once. Still bleeds like a bitch and at some point, flops dead on his face. Sandow will be the next Ric Flair, mark it down. As long as this guy stays healthy, he's going to be the man for a loooooong time. Sandow doesn't need to change a thing.