PDA

View Full Version : No one builds anything up anymore!!

Wrestling_Deluxe_08
11-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Seeing Jim Ross and Piper's pit on the 3-hour RAW helped me realize a crucial issue with this generation of wrestling. No one builds anything up anymore! Everything is done so spontaneous and last minute. We don't get a full card for the PPV until THE WEEK OF its showing. We still don't have a full card for Survivor Series 2010. So far we only got like 4 matches announced. I suppose thats why segments like JR on commentary and the Piper's Pit was a breath of fresh air to me. It is amazing that Roddy Piper was able to build up and sell a PPV main event better in a five minute span than WWE or the wrestlers could do in almost a month. I loved the segment. You can easily tell most of the stuff Piper said was improv and not as scripted as some of the other promos are. Also, JR did a fabulous job making Daniel Bryan look like a million bucks. He did a better job than any of the commentators could have done. Hopefuly, that sends a message to WWE about how valuable JR is behind the desk.

Anyways, the segments were fabulous because they made me want to CARE about what was going on and I think that is a vital part of mainstream wrestling nowadays that is missing. The crowd during the night was absolutely dead. Even with the old school wrestlers and the return of JR; the fans could not get into it all that much. Not saying the entire crowd was dead, but a good majority of the fans seemed like they could care less. As a fan, I'd hate to be in a crowd like that. I want to be in one of the crowds that existed during the Attitude Era.

What are your thoughts about what I said?

Rich Cranium
11-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Maybe the old school can teach the new school some tricks of the trade. The crowd must have been made out of cardboard cutouts, i mean what part of PA where they in? I've been to an Eagles game and they do have loud fans there. Hell, they even had a jail cell inside their stadium.

jethro
11-16-2010, 12:07 PM
I agree,Piper promo is intense.

I also notice what you said about build up to Survivor series,especially Alberto team...who he'll team up and against with? I assume Team Alberto vs Team Rey.

Morrison vs Sheamus has been announce from this week old school raw episode,there is build up for the storyline but they show Sheamus wanna destroy Santino.

Splattered-Dreams
11-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Rey's team will win... Cody and Drew will fight :\ so boringly obvious

SilverGhost
11-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Maybe the WWE wants to use the element of surprise but I guess knowing that....it won't be a shock unless its really big.

TheDevilsAdvocate
11-16-2010, 01:02 PM
The build up to John Morrison vs. Sheamus was kind of weird. How can you do a build up to a Pay Per View match by having some overly good-looking guy kick an irish guy (I think he's irish) in the gut week in an week out. I think a Santino Marella vs. Sheamus match at SS would have seemed far more believable to be completely honest with you guys.

As for build-ups lately I'd have to say that I did like the Nexus/Cena/Orton/Barret storyline, but they pretty much gave away the outcome at the end of the old school Raw the other night.

wretlingrock392
11-16-2010, 03:02 PM
\As for build-ups lately I'd have to say that I did like the Nexus/Cena/Orton/Barret storyline, but they pretty much gave away the outcome at the end of the old school Raw the other night.

how did they give it away? all cena said was that who ever won would have earned it then barrett came out made cena put on the nexus shirt. and then orton came out and cena FU'ed orton and barrett... I dont see a result there

wallyman
11-16-2010, 03:21 PM
how did they give it away? all cena said was that who ever won would have earned it then barrett came out made cena put on the nexus shirt. and then orton came out and cena FU'ed orton and barrett... I dont see a result there

no way is cena being fired....so wade will b champ i dont see how they can swerve this...cuz if wade isnt champ cena is fired...end of story...no possible swerve to save cena from being fired...wade will win cena will then proceed to beat him down and probably miz will interefeare...david utonga will make nexus turn on wade and wade will b left alone..miz new champ wade out of nexus....cena free from nexus....cena vs wade at the royal rumble..i think it will go something like this...

Xpacfan
11-16-2010, 04:08 PM
I've said it once if I haven't said it a thousand times:

Everything is invested into the PPVs! That's why you get poor build ups to them and the anticipation is low. When you're having nearly 2 PPVs a month, it only really gives you 2 episodes of each brand to build up the subsequent PPV match. WWE leaves all the action and good stuff in the PPVs as a way to get more people to buy them.

If they would have less PPVs and invest more into the weekly shows then people would have more of a reason to want to purchase the PPV since there has been adequette time to hype up the anticipation. Instead, they have to base a whole PPV off of one type of Gimmick match opposed to having a diverse array like the days of old.

AGEOFFALL
11-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Gotta love the Hot Rod.

SilverGhost
11-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Gotta love the Hot Rod.

Someone is back!

Mr. McMahon
11-16-2010, 05:28 PM
i've been saying this for years, yet the IWC aka 'the real wwe sheep' will accept anything wwe throws at them and call it awesome. Buildups have been forgotten for years, the only time when they do care is WM, however WM buildups are still not what they used to be, but atleast they try.

wwe either doesn't build up, build's up really shitty or does a mediocre job... in this day & age where their ratings are suffering, they need to give 150% each time. I just don't see this happening

Silverdust
11-16-2010, 05:48 PM
i've been saying this for years, yet the IWC aka 'the real wwe sheep' will accept anything wwe throws at them and call it awesome. Buildups have been forgotten for years, the only time when they do care is WM, however WM buildups are still not what they used to be, but atleast they try.

wwe either doesn't build up, build's up really shitty or does a mediocre job... in this day & age where their ratings are suffering, they need to give 150% each time. I just don't see this happening

Now that's real infinite wisdom!

TNA 'The very best'
11-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Proper feuds should have months of build up before they go to ppv, and keep the number off ppvs down, so it actually works, SS is this weekend and they have another PPV in mid Dec, Wheres the build up for that coming from.

Enlgish_TNA4LYF_FAN
11-16-2010, 09:13 PM
your right.

i think they should make piper the GM instead of that stupid fukin laptop
and yes JR is the best announcer ever or at least in my opinion, no1 can build up a match, a promo, a main event or a ppv like good ol JR.
wwe need to realise this or i think once JR has his book published and marketed by wwe, hes off to greener pastures either mma or more likely TNA!

IrkenInvader
11-16-2010, 09:23 PM
I don't know waht your talking about. 2 days before the ppv is plenty of time to start a feud.

Bodom
11-16-2010, 09:24 PM
I don't know waht your talking about. 2 days before the ppv is plenty of time to start a feud.

A short attention span helps

IrkenInvader
11-16-2010, 09:26 PM
A short attention span helps

WWE's chosen demographic 6-15 years old with ADD

TNA 'The very best'
11-17-2010, 01:54 PM
a way to over come all of this is is go back to having raw ppvs and smackdown ppvs. gives two months to build up feuds and wwe still keep all the ppvs so all the money.

JagerDave
11-17-2010, 02:28 PM
WWE has wrote horrible storylines and angles for a long time now because to be honest, they don't really have to delve deep into the creative pool. They have no competition and the comedy writing is holding good enough weekly ratings. I would think the PPV buyrate decline would put more emphasis on investing time into real angles and developing ways to write traditional storylines into a new aged product.