PDA

View Full Version : How successful would they still be?

AndyWonder
07-31-2012, 08:08 PM
Even if the World Heavyweight championship was not instituted in 2002, I believe the stars of today would still have appeared on WWE tv at the times they did and rosters would be the same as they are now. Now let's say out of the top stars (post-Attitude Era, so I won't include HHH, Undertaker, Kane, Big Show) of the past 10 years: John Cena, Randy Orton, Batista, Brock Lesnar, Edge, Rey Mysterio, CM Punk, Sheamus, Alberto Del Rio, Daniel Bryan, and probably some others left out; how successful would these guys still be if they only had the 1 heavyweight championship belt (WWE championship, the real one) to go after?

CricketTragic
07-31-2012, 08:13 PM
Even if the World Heavyweight championship was not instituted in 2002, I believe the stars of today would still have appeared on WWE tv at the times they did and rosters would be the same as they are now. Now let's say out of the top stars (post-Attitude Era, so I won't include HHH, Undertaker, Kane, Big Show) of the past 10 years: John Cena, Randy Orton, Batista, Brock Lesnar, Edge, Rey Mysterio, CM Punk, Sheamus, Alberto Del Rio, Daniel Bryan, and probably some others left out; how successful would these guys still be if they only had the 1 heavyweight championship belt (WWE championship, the real one) to go after?

Personally and I am not saying I am right, I think most if not all of these guys would have been stars anyway although I believe the second championship adds to there appeal otherwise at times a lot of these stars would still linger.

The Benefit... It would make the US and Intercontinental titles more relevant and may even bring back the European championship and these titles would be prime time belts.

The Negative: I doubt we would have any significantly long titile reigns anymore

Cabers
08-01-2012, 06:27 AM
Many of them would not have won the main title mainly Mysterio but the IC and US championships would have been more prominent.

TNA 'The very best'
08-01-2012, 10:32 AM
With the size of the ROSTER if the WHC didn't come along, another one would have,

DK Wrestling Savior
08-01-2012, 10:50 AM
I don't believe CM Punk and Daniel Bryan would have made it here at all. With one title, and all the star power they had post AE, today's top guys would probably still be in FCW or not even be on the roster today. Still filling out auditoriums for ROH or wherever.

therepoman
08-01-2012, 03:04 PM
They are not using the roster properly. With the World Title Devaluing the IC Title, and becoming the new 2nd tier title. The WWE has become somewhat like Mexico or a Third world country. There is no middle class. You are either Headlining or jobbing. Mid-carders are no longer mid-carders because a mid-carder can easily hold the world title. Think about all the great matches and fueds that surrounded the IC Title. The IC title was a stepping stone for many superstars like Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, The Rock, HHH, Scott Hall and Kevin Nash. Excluding Scott Hall all these men have been WWE Champion. The only person that didnt hold the intercontinental championship that went straight to headlining was The Undertaker because his Gimmick made him unstoppable. The IC title basically put you in line for WWE championship. Now in relation to today their needs to be more defined lines of Headliner, midcarder, and jobber. They have the talent to make these divisions better. There are too many wrestlers that should be mid carders going for the world title.

AndyWonder
08-01-2012, 05:25 PM
They are not using the roster properly. With the World Title Devaluing the IC Title, and becoming the new 2nd tier title. The WWE has become somewhat like Mexico or a Third world country. There is no middle class. You are either Headlining or jobbing. Mid-carders are no longer mid-carders because a mid-carder can easily hold the world title. Think about all the great matches and fueds that surrounded the IC Title. The IC title was a stepping stone for many superstars like Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, The Rock, HHH, Scott Hall and Kevin Nash. Excluding Scott Hall all these men have been WWE Champion. The only person that didnt hold the intercontinental championship that went straight to headlining was The Undertaker because his Gimmick made him unstoppable. The IC title basically put you in line for WWE championship. Now in relation to today their needs to be more defined lines of Headliner, midcarder, and jobber. They have the talent to make these divisions better. There are too many wrestlers that should be mid carders going for the world title.

Nice points. It was better back then when guys had seasoning and building to a mid card title first then they would be able to have something higher to do in the future years. I miss those days. They are doing it for some guys now (cody, dolph) but that may be all. Sheamus and Del Rio shoulda been built the same way. Once Sheamus and Del Rio won the big belts, there almost was nothing left for them to do.

Dragons Claws
08-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Nice points. It was better back then when guys had seasoning and building to a mid card title first then they would be able to have something higher to do in the future years. I miss those days. They are doing it for some guys now (cody, dolph) but that may be all. Sheamus and Del Rio shoulda been built the same way. Once Sheamus and Del Rio won the big belts, there almost was nothing left for them to do.

I think the new belt totally ruined the midcard belts and also managed to devalue the main belt. No good has come of it.

dashkatae
08-01-2012, 09:35 PM
At the time, you have to remember there was an ECW belt as well, meaning three world championship belts and each of them really devalued the other ones. Personally, if the WHC belt wasn't around, I think the product would be better. Look at what happened when you only had the undisputed championship, the matches for that were amazing to watch. Plus since the belt has more value that way, you can use it to springboard midcarders without having the main guy lose the belt. Example, Undertaker vs. Jeff Hardy ladder match on smackdown for the title. Jeff was already getting over in singles but that match really pushed him.

the_one
08-01-2012, 11:04 PM

exactly what i and any real WRESTLING fan should and does think. should sheamus really be a world champ? swagger? miz at wrestlemania????? i could go on and on.

Playboy Stevie V
08-02-2012, 01:15 PM
My thought if I'm reading this right is that maybe some of those guys wouldn't have won the WWE championship, but if the WWE never instituted the WHC then most likely they wouldn't have instituted the US championship either.

With that being the case some of the stars that wouldn't have won the WWE championship would have won the IC belt and that division would be a lot more prestigious than it is now. And some of the other stars would have been in the tag team division and that division would be a lot more prestigious than it is now. The way it should be imo.