PDA

View Full Version : Championship matches on Raw/Smackdown...

Callum
07-31-2012, 05:49 PM
Do you think title matches should take place on a regular basis on tv? Occasionally the belt could change hands but it would help give people championship shots without needing storylines as much

I know there were 2 title matches last week but Raw 1000 was treated as a payper-view.

I'm hoping the SM GM forces Alberto to have a championship match on Smackdown so we can see a new match at Summerslam.

In the attitude era title matches took place on Raw and SM on a regular basis and I think they'd help with the ratings as well as making the champion look strong as long as it was believable the champion had a chance of losing so a few championship changes would have to gradually take place.

tweedidldum
07-31-2012, 06:23 PM
No. The WWE championship and World heavy weight championship only on PPV's and the other titles, IC, U.S, Tag Titles should be on a regular basis cause these titles need more attention for those who carry them as they haven't been getting enough attention for a long time.

Great One
07-31-2012, 07:28 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing it once in a while but not too much because that does take away ppv matches

PrimusSucks
07-31-2012, 07:34 PM
Also during the Attitude Era there was a ratings war, which doesn't happen anymore. In a world where WWE is looking for Pay Per View buys they are not going to waste precious buys on a TV match. Either way TV is meant to build up to pay per view and you don't build up much from a title match.

Dennis
07-31-2012, 07:43 PM
I wouldn't hate a tv title but I think world titles are meant for ppvs

CricketTragic
07-31-2012, 07:44 PM
Also during the Attitude Era there was a ratings war, which doesn't happen anymore. In a world where WWE is looking for Pay Per View buys they are not going to waste precious buys on a TV match. Either way TV is meant to build up to pay per view and you don't build up much from a title match.

There are a few ways that a championship match could help build a PPV match

1. Someone interferes costing either someone the title or more likely the No one Contender from winning it and you could generate so many angles from this

Eg This smackdown lets say they announce Sheamus verse Randy Orton tonight for the World Heavyweight championship (Not a Spoiler as I dont know) and after what happened with christian and Orton it is believable although unlikely Orton could win. Now Alberto complains because he is not the next guy at the belt causing Randy Orton to lose which could either justify Orton as the next No 1 Contender even though he doesnt need justification in my books or you could add him to the summerslam match as a triple threat although unlikely as they already have a TRiple Threat for the WWE championship.

Add Zigglers presence and you have a must watch Championship match and added value to what the vast amount of IWC members think is a boring stale repetitive match at summerslam.

I could think of so many ways you could have a championship match and enhance the PPV match as well, have a No 1 Contenders tournament and that No 1 contender gets a match that night for the title. They lose but hang with th champion giving them a nice little push for a future title shot.

Have the challenger taken out by a massive heel giving the heel a title shot and have the challenger laid out, although this would work better if the heel was to win the title and have said challenger come back for a rematch at the belt.

Talinski10
07-31-2012, 09:11 PM
It would be nice to see any title defended, say monthly. The past few weeks I have notice Cole pointing out how long people have held the titles, "CM Punks is at x # of days, he currently ranks x on all time longest reigns" and "Santino has been US Champ since March". While Punk defends his title every month on PPV and usually the best match on the card. When was the last time Santino had a meaningful title defense. He seems to be jobbing all the time, I think Del Rio has beaten him a dozen times in the past 3 months. I think that the secondary titles could be defended a little more often. Even if you have a run in or a dq. At least showcase the champion. Could even have it main event a Raw or Smackdown from time to time.

BadAndy
07-31-2012, 10:31 PM
Occasionally yes. I think that the average fan who does not pay for the ppv should get a chance to see titles being defended. I would like to put a stipulation on it though. I would want to see the title defended in a exceptional match. iron man matches, cage matches, 4 corner matches, I quit matches, etc. I'd love to see these being 40 minutes to an hour. It is a way to show that the champion is a fighting champion.

Dubs
07-31-2012, 11:41 PM
I still couldn't believe WWE wasted a match between Ken Shamrock and Stone Cold for the WWE title on free TV. I know it was for a ratings boost but man, that could have been placed on a quality PPV!

Cabers
08-01-2012, 06:32 AM
Other than the WWE and World Heavyweight championship yeah i think they should.

jelle1809
08-01-2012, 02:36 PM
This thread is exactly the fundamental basis for a needed TV title in WWE.

A title that should only be defended on free TV. So we can stop bitching about topics like: World titles on tv or ppv? Too many or too few?

Talinski10
08-01-2012, 06:17 PM
This thread is exactly the fundamental basis for a needed TV title in WWE.

A title that should only be defended on free TV. So we can stop bitching about topics like: World titles on tv or ppv? Too many or too few?

What good what would a WWE TV Title do? They don't defend the mid-card titles the currently have. Adding another or merging the belts would just do the same thing. I would love for The Miz to have a weekly segment on Raw were he challenges Superstars to try and take his title. He doesn't even need to be in a fued with the person, ideally have him challenge someone currently involved in another storyline. Have that storyline cause a distraction allowing The Miz to pick of cheap victories and stack up title defenses. Have him notch up some victories over some impressive Superstars, in the end everyone wins. Miz picks up victories, is a credibile champion, and it makes the title seem like its worth something. It would progress the opponents fueds with other superstars, they don't look weak losing by distraction. Its a win-win for everyone.

JUST DEFEND THE DAMN BELTS!