PDA

View Full Version : AW's Comment

MrVoteLibertarian
07-30-2012, 08:59 PM
What did you guys think? Is he gone after that?

Amerinaine
07-30-2012, 09:00 PM
Nice lead in. We all know what he said. (Yeah, I'm being an ass.)

Dameduse823
07-30-2012, 09:05 PM
What did he say? I went away from the tv for a few minutes and came back to them apologizing

Amerinaine
07-30-2012, 09:07 PM
What did he say? I went away from the tv for a few minutes and came back to them apologizing

I was sitting here, and didn't hear it. I want to know that too.

These 2 sentence opening topics are getting really annoying.

tchocky360
07-30-2012, 09:07 PM
I heard "Kofi.. your mamma" I wasn't paying much attention, what was said?

Dubs
07-30-2012, 09:08 PM
I didn't hear him clear but he said something about Kobe and Colorado. That's all I heard really.

TheRockerGother
07-30-2012, 09:10 PM
"He's like Kobe in a Colorado Hotel Room he can't be stopped" basically referring to the Kobe rape case back in 04 or something not much of a basketball fan anymore.

Amerinaine
07-30-2012, 09:11 PM
"He's like Kobe in a Colorado Hotel Room he can't be stopped" basically referring to the Kobe rape case back in 04 or something not much of a basketball fan anymore.

Ah, yeah. I imagine something will be done. Suspension, maybe.

Dameduse823
07-30-2012, 09:12 PM

Well thats fucking stupid. Yeah I see him going away for a while after that

TheRockerGother
07-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Vince right now must be really pissed and I can imagine Triple H giving AW a yelling lecture.

HeelTurn
07-30-2012, 09:13 PM
This could harm Young and O'Neil's careers to.

akbar
07-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Did he really say that?!?! LOOL

TheRockerGother
07-30-2012, 09:14 PM
This could harm Young and O'Neil's careers to.
I could care less about the Prime Time Players don't find them entertaining but it's just me but yeah was thinking the same.

TheRockerGother
07-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Did he really say that?!?! LOOL
IF my ears aren't lying that's what he said buddy :P

HeelTurn
07-30-2012, 09:15 PM
I could care less about the Prime Time Players don't find them entertaining but it's just me but yeah was thinking the same.

I find them to be quite dull, without AW they will be even more so.

MrVoteLibertarian
07-30-2012, 09:17 PM
I apologize for not being clear. He made reference to the Kobe Bryant rape.

TheRockerGother
07-30-2012, 09:18 PM
I find them to be quite dull, without AW they will be even more so.
Without AW there basically boring AW is annoying as hell but at least he creates some heat. But if WWE had to say sorry for the comments he made I'm sure AW is gonna be fired or suspended for some time.

Playboy Stevie V
07-30-2012, 09:19 PM
If it was the Kobe comment then it will be too bad if he gets suspended. AW is entertaining and his smack talk is a refreshing Throwback manager. Ive heard Heenan, Blassie, both Harts say way worse.

Stupid politically correct politics. Im looking at you Linda. Tisk tisk.

TheRockerGother
07-30-2012, 09:21 PM
If it was the Kobe comment then it will be too bad if he gets suspended. AW is entertaining and his smack talk is a refreshing Throwback manager. Ive heard Heenan, Blassie, both Harts say way worse.

Yeah but the whole PG thing it's not okay so say that during these times..

tchocky360
07-30-2012, 09:24 PM

Gotta be honest, not much refreshing about rape jokes for me if that was what was said. Needlessly offensive cheap heat, he can do a better job than that.

Playboy Stevie V
07-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Yeah but the whole PG thing it's not okay so say that during these times..

I know, i know, The Muppet show with bodyslams.

MrVoteLibertarian
07-30-2012, 09:25 PM
Times have changed. Just think it wasn't that long ago that doctors were pulling items out of Mae Youngs vagina....hahahahahaha

bearkg88
07-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Personally I don't think his comment was called for. There are other ways to get heat than how he did it. Total bull

YOUcanCALLmeCRACK
07-30-2012, 09:31 PM

Hahahaahahaha!

Playboy Stevie V
07-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Gotta be honest, not much refreshing about rape jokes for me if that was what was said. Needlessly offensive cheap heat, he can do a better job than that.

Lots of HOFs have said worse. Im not talking about AE either. Just look up some old piper, Heenan, etc cheep heat pops. I know, i know that was yesterday.

Im just disappointed if they derail the PTP and AW. They are the most entertaining thing in the tag division in a long time in the E.

I'm old school, so if something is said that is so offensive that it make some fans to want to string him up...thats classic heel heat imo.

Haruko Haruhara
07-30-2012, 09:34 PM
This only makes room for the Heatseekers!

Dameduse823
07-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Quick question, I didn't see teh match but how many people caught the comment before seeing it here? Because I'm thinking if they didn't call attention to it by apologizing for it it may have just been forgotten

Grind_Bastard
07-30-2012, 09:41 PM
I found the comment weird, I did not remember the Kobe affair. I think AW is gonna get suspended for that.

tchocky360
07-30-2012, 09:56 PM
Lots of HOFs have said worse. Im not talking about AE either. Just look up some old piper, Heenan, etc cheep heat pops. I know, i know that was yesterday.

Im just disappointed if they derail the PTP and AW. They are the most entertaining thing in the tag division in a long time in the E.

I'm old school, so if something is said that is so offensive that it make some fans to want to string him up...thats classic heel heat imo.

Times change. I get that a heel should be hated, but there has to be lines. This isn't territory level stuff anymore, WWE has a worldwide audience and has to adapt for that.
That rape joke is about a girl, someone's daughter and it mocks her to millions across the world.

AW is a good manager for PTP but that kinda heat isn't good for business, it's not good for the young fans and at it's core, is just offensive. Offensive for it's own sake is no good and it's a lazy way to gain heat, Vickie still gets the best heat and she does it without mocking victims of a crime...

People might have said worse in the past, but the fact that it isn't accepted now is one reason I'm a fan of PG WWE.

King Scrapper
07-30-2012, 10:01 PM
When he said it, i immediately thought yea..that's his ass. You could tell it was the wrong thing to say. There was a long pause before Cole and Lawler started talking again. Then they apologized after the commercial break. That's without a doubt someones (AWs) ass. I dont think he will be fired but he will get disciplined. i agree people have said worse in the past, but considering this whole PG crap, they need to take this kind of stuff lightly. And what he said wasnt even entertaining. It was just weird.

hiphopjunkie
07-30-2012, 10:01 PM
I honestly laughed loud as hell because thats my reaction to offensive comedy. But i can see how people would be offended by the comment. I have friends who are rape survivors. I still found the comment funny. But i would have rather heard it on a show that was on HBO or something like that.

Playboy Stevie V
07-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Times change. I get that a heel should be hated, but there has to be lines. This isn't territory level stuff anymore, WWE has a worldwide audience and has to adapt for that.
That rape joke is about a girl, someone's daughter and it mocks her to millions across the world.

AW is a good manager for PTP but that kinda heat isn't good for business, it's not good for the young fans and at it's core, is just offensive. Offensive for it's own sake is no good and it's a lazy way to gain heat, Vickie still gets the best heat and she does it without mocking victims of a crime...

People might have said worse in the past, but the fact that it isn't accepted now is one reason I'm a fan of PG WWE.

Totally understand your point. But if he comes out next week and says something worse.....WOW. Now that's heat.

But it won't happen because the sensitivity of society now dictates rules. Thats okay. I'm watching family guy right now. They just made a joke about a show.called raped by a clown. I'm sure John Wayne Gacys victims feeling were not taken into account. Maybe they need a scolding too.

I think mocked across the world is bold, taking into account not everyone in the world is watching. But if its that big a deal the media will air it across the world. Lindas opponents using it against her is most likely the scenario.

My point being bad taste, yes malicious, I dont think so.

But anyways to each there own. I'm sure AW will be punished. BTW Kobe did no time for the alleged rape, but she sure took money, but thats for another discussion for another sport.

BadAndy
07-30-2012, 10:24 PM
I found it a bit odd. Why in the world would he reference something so many years old unless it was something shocking to say that many youngsters might dismiss because they are unaware of it. I can imagine that during the political season Vince and Linda are none too happy about it. I figure there are few things these days that can really get under somebodies skin, but rape jokes/comments are always going to be one of them. Linda's opponent probably got a huge grin on his face when this happened.

SilverGhost
07-30-2012, 10:31 PM
I was surprised that AW even said that. I knew that it would be VERY awkward. I know some shmuck will Tweet to Kobe about that.

hiphopjunkie
07-30-2012, 10:35 PM
I would think that AW would have had to okay the statement with someone in charge. It was just too fluid when he said it. Someone had to have knpw he was going to say that. If not he may be fired.

Mr Punk
07-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Why cant he just get a fine like how NFL players get fines for missing practice or something and move on?

SilverGhost
07-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Why cant he just get a fine like how NFL players get fines for missing practice or something and move on?

Because this isn't the NFL. They have storylines that have to stick with and territories that they shouldn't cross. If the mess up, it is their head.

tchocky360
07-30-2012, 10:53 PM
Totally understand your point. But if he comes out next week and says something worse.....WOW. Now that's heat.

But it won't happen because the sensitivity of society now dictates rules. Thats okay. I'm watching family guy right now. They just made a joke about a show.called raped by a clown. I'm sure John Wayne Gacys victims feeling were not taken into account. Maybe they need a scolding too.

I think mocked across the world is bold, taking into account not everyone in the world is watching. But if its that big a deal the media will air it across the world. Lindas opponents using it against her is most likely the scenario.

My point being bad taste, yes malicious, I dont think so.

But anyways to each there own. I'm sure AW will be punished. BTW Kobe did no time for the alleged rape, but she sure took money, but thats for another discussion for another sport.

My problem with the first bit is that then what he says has to be more and more offensive each time for it to get any reaction. It's just meaningless vulgarity.
I've no real problem with shocking statements or jokes depending on their context and what the point of them are.
South Park can be an excellent example of shocking humour, but underlying worthwhile good points about society or individuals.

I say mocked across the world because Raw is aired across the world, nothing that AW said will be in our newspapers or newscasts, but people who watch Raw live might go online like I have and see what WWE apologised for and feel that it was a regretful comment to make.
I agree it wasn't malicious, it was probably offhand but certainly stupid.

As for Kobe not doing time, that's simply because he paid an out of court settlement. He certainly didn't try to prove his innocence. Victim is entitled to be compensated, Kobe's just lucky he can afford to avoid jail time. It's a shameful situation that was best left in the past, on a family friendly show isn't the place for it.

Won't over shadow an otherwise very good raw I thought. Daniel Bryan heavily featured, Punk getting to talk about Rock similar to how he did last year..
Maybe the fears of them having to run 3 hours was misguided, interesting to see next week.

Playboy Stevie V
07-30-2012, 11:07 PM
My problem with the first bit is that then what he says has to be more and more offensive each time for it to get any reaction. It's just meaningless vulgarity.
I've no real problem with shocking statements or jokes depending on their context and what the point of them are.
South Park can be an excellent example of shocking humour, but underlying worthwhile good points about society or individuals.

I say mocked across the world because Raw is aired across the world, nothing that AW said will be in our newspapers or newscasts, but people who watch Raw live might go online like I have and see what WWE apologised for and feel that it was a regretful comment to make.
I agree it wasn't malicious, it was probably offhand but certainly stupid.

As for Kobe not doing time, that's simply because he paid an out of court settlement. He certainly didn't try to prove his innocence. Victim is entitled to be compensated, Kobe's just lucky he can afford to avoid jail time. It's a shameful situation that was best left in the past, on a family friendly show isn't the place for it.

Won't over shadow an otherwise very good raw I thought. Daniel Bryan heavily featured, Punk getting to talk about Rock similar to how he did last year..
Maybe the fears of them having to run 3 hours was misguided, interesting to see next week.

Like i said man, to each his own. And in this country you dont have to prove your innocence, the DA has to prove guilt. And are rich people lucky in that sense? Of course, but Kobe is for another forum and sport, like i said.

Regarding AW, you were offended, while I thought it was funny. If they continue, you won't watch it, While I still will.

I think the only reason Vince now thinks that anything like this would be a issue, regarding AW is solely for Linda's political future. Because if he really cared about wholesome tv, then the AE would have never happened.

It's funny you brought up south park though since they did a episode on Police framing rich black men and making them pay out the ass and specifically brought up Kobe. LOL...so.

jordan1995
07-30-2012, 11:10 PM
haha i was surprised he said it, but it did make me laugh

SESAfro
07-30-2012, 11:12 PM
Hmm, it's just wrestling people. He did what he did because he was doing his job. I don't recall any of this when he told Primo to go hop back over the border.

Playboy Stevie V
07-30-2012, 11:14 PM
hmm, it's just wrestling people. He did what he did because he was doing his job. I don't recall any of this when he told primo to go hop back over the border.

^^^^ thank you!

wrestlingfan66513
07-30-2012, 11:28 PM
What AW did was stupid and he may have just screwed himself and younger talent also. The WWE looked like they were starting to let more younger talent speak for themselves while staying with the story but if they can't trust the talent to avoid comments like these then it will be straight off the script until you are high up. He picked the worst night to do this on and better hope suspension is the worst thing he will get.

Playboy Stevie V
07-30-2012, 11:57 PM
Yep, I'm reading reports that he is in deep crap.

I wonder if the writers who wrote Cole getting raped by Heidenrich got fired for that...lol

Dameduse823
07-31-2012, 12:00 AM
Yep, I'm reading reports that he is in deep crap.

I wonder if the writers who wrote Cole getting raped by Heidenrich got fired for that...lol

I don't know but I'd gladly trade them for the writers that decided to put him in the ring

RatedRorayJames
07-31-2012, 12:03 AM
Woah!! I'm really going to miss him too!!

TheRockerGother
07-31-2012, 12:04 AM
Hmm, it's just wrestling people. He did what he did because he was doing his job. I don't recall any of this when he told Primo to go hop back over the border.

That's funny gotta admit but it doesn't cross the line...rape jokes are just bad just like when Batista one time said Eddies dead and the time Orton said Eddies in hell there's a line they cross they shouldn't rope jokes and bad mouthing dead wrestlers is the line for me.

Playboy Stevie V
07-31-2012, 12:41 AM
Just throwing it out there. You can make your own judgment of hypocrisy:

Triple H to CM Punk- "you look like you were in a 24 hr bender with Amy Winehouse"

K2Jelly
07-31-2012, 12:43 AM
Just throwing it out there. You can make your own judgment of hypocrisy:

Triple H to CM Punk- "you look like you were in a 24 hr bender with Amy Winehouse"

Actually it was:

"You don't drink, you don't do drugs, you don't smoke. Okay, neither do but then again, I don't look like I've been on a week long crack binge with Amy Winehouse."

Playboy Stevie V
07-31-2012, 12:48 AM
Actually it was:

"You don't drink, you don't do drugs, you don't smoke. Okay, neither do but then again, I don't look like I've been on a week long crack binge with Amy Winehouse."

^^^ thank you. I knew i was close. Thanks for putting my foot on the ropes. *fist bump*

Dennis
07-31-2012, 01:41 AM
^^^ thank you. I knew i was close. Thanks for putting my foot on the ropes. *fist bump*
I think amy winehouse jokes are more acceptable than rape jokes. though IMO I think aw was probably just trying to keep up with his heel persona.. I think people forget that he's playing a part and his entire goal is to get you to hate him... while I'm not giving him a pass he shouldn't get fired for trying to do his job, at least not this time.

Viperfish
07-31-2012, 02:20 AM
Honestly I almost died laughing when AW went behind Kofi and said yo momma and then threw a mic at him or whatever it was. It was so random, but so believable. I can only imagine that he's standing there planning this distraction thinking "what can I say to get his attention?", and it's almost like "oh shit I gotta get up there regardless, it's my cue" and the first thing that came to mind was yo momma.

As for the rape comment... it was a little too off-color for me but if it pissed you off, that's what he's supposed to do since he's a heel. With Be A Star and all this political correctness, I'd imagine that it's difficult to get someone over as a heel with words. You either get articulated cheese like Damien Sandow or you get insults that a four year old can come up with like goatface. People were crying "Be A Star" when John Cena was cracking fat jokes at Vickie Guerrero for fucks sake, I mean are we that determined to make wrestling as miserable as possible as fans? Obviously nobody told AW to say that and nobody wrote it for him... but in saying that I think that it's impressive that he came up with that completely off the cuff. The reference is a little dated but I thought it was creative.

Playboy Stevie V
07-31-2012, 02:26 AM
I think amy winehouse jokes are more acceptable than rape jokes. though IMO I think aw was probably just trying to keep up with his heel persona.. I think people forget that he's playing a part and his entire goal is to get you to hate him... while I'm not giving him a pass he shouldn't get fired for trying to do his job, at least not this time.

Most likely, but i wonder if the wwe has an employee handbook or will since this happened saying what can be and can not be said or done. Id lmao making it for them based on their past decisions on what was and was not acceptable during the pg era.

Okay to say or do
Addiction
Terminating people then whooping there asses immediately afterward or kicking them in the balls.
Kiss my ass club
Death of wrestlers or celebrities and using them negatively
Satan worship
Checking fans immigration status *only Hispanics though*
Man on man rape
Elder abuse
Domestic violence
Kidnapping
Stalking
Child abuse
Live sex show
Hispanic jokes
Fat jokes
Japanese voice over jokes
Abortion
Kicking babies
Bringing back Maes hand son
Big Dick Johnson
Shoving peoples heads up the big shows ass
Home invasion robbery beat downs
Beating up women
Beating up kayfabe down syndrome wrestlers
Talking about vinces sex exploits

Not okay to do:
Talking about rape especially if its coed white girl *maybe*
Kicking flags
Wrestling to ruff with Randy Orton
Kayfabe muslim extremists

Sign here-

Playboy Stevie V
07-31-2012, 02:29 AM
Honestly I almost died laughing when AW went behind Kofi and said yo momma and then threw a mic at him or whatever it was. It was so random, but so believable. I can only imagine that he's standing there planning this distraction thinking "what can I say to get his attention?", and it's almost like "oh shit I gotta get up there regardless, it's my cue" and the first thing that came to mind was yo momma.

As for the rape comment... it was a little too off-color for me but if it pissed you off, that's what he's supposed to do since he's a heel. With Be A Star and all this political correctness, I'd imagine that it's difficult to get someone over as a heel with words. You either get articulated cheese like Damien Sandow or you get insults that a four year old can come up with like goatface. People were crying "Be A Star" when John Cena was cracking fat jokes at Vickie Guerrero for fucks sake, I mean are we that determined to make wrestling as miserable as possible as fans? Obviously nobody told AW to say that and nobody wrote it for him... but in saying that I think that it's impressive that he came up with that completely off the cuff. The reference is a little dated but I thought it was creative.

^^^^ this. Totally agree. AW was funny as hell tonight.

SESAfro
07-31-2012, 02:48 AM
That's funny gotta admit but it doesn't cross the line...rape jokes are just bad just like when Batista one time said Eddies dead and the time Orton said Eddies in hell there's a line they cross they shouldn't rope jokes and bad mouthing dead wrestlers is the line for me.
Orton saying Eddie was in hell could be taken very badly for most people, but Batist, on the other hand, was merely stating facts. He is dead, can't deny that.

Stihltygre
07-31-2012, 06:44 AM
i heard it, kinda got that feeling in my gut I get before i punch someone in the face... if i'm watchign south park or family guy i am watching specifically irreverent comedy, go for it yeah occasionally they poke fun at something and it makes me a bit uncomfortable... I'm watching wrestling not so much, it just wasn't needed... you don't grab lines like that out of thin air, he should have thought more, kept it relevant, kept it about the guys in the ring, and kept it not about rape.

and yeah the Cole/ Heidenreich thing was not cool to me either... what actually bothers me a bit more as a father of daughters, is how many people were okay with that type of joke. it minimizes the topic... it was thrown out there not in a way to be funny, it was almost throw away, like it was of no import. I don't know Just kinda torqued me ... maybe I'm a bit touchy on subjects like that, but it felt disrepectful to women who have been raped and almost Showed the rapist in a positive light....

lewism173
07-31-2012, 07:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3e1MLQIjkA&feature=g-u-u4

My feeling

johnnydropkicks
07-31-2012, 08:08 AM
the yo momma shoe was a brillian piece of heel work

VanHooliganX
07-31-2012, 08:15 AM
Really glad to see he's got heat.

WWE really doesn't need that idiot.

Poot-Hair
07-31-2012, 09:09 AM
To be honest I heard the comment, but didn't think anything about it. It didn't even dawn on me it had any unfavorably undertones to it when he said it. To be even more honest I had no idea what the hell he was even talking about.

I believe that if nothing more would have been said about it, it would have been dropped after the match and forgotten about but since WWE apologized and whatnot it's drew more attention than it needed e.g. TMZ picking up the story.

tchocky360
07-31-2012, 09:23 AM

I'm not a fan of that stuff either. Same with Vince and his impression of JR with Bell's Palsy, again pointlessly offensive, and Vince doesn't even have the excuse of a heel trying get heat.
Cole saying Sheamus should call his powerbomb the Irish Car Bomb was also offensive, though there was no apology for that.

Stupid things get said by accident, fair enough it's live, it doesn't make sense to deliberately go out and say unpleasant things because fans aren't dumb anymore, it's not heat on the wrestlers, it's heat on the company now for allowing it to happen.

We can agree to disagree on this, and I respect your opinion that a heel can gain heat however because their are supposed to be hated. I just feel certain topics out of respect for others should be avoided if WWE want to continue to hold onto their status as worldwide family friendly entertainment.

CricketTragic
07-31-2012, 09:41 AM
I am getting sick of this world now a days its ridicolous

I asked a customer at work today if they needed a hand and they were shocked then they said to their friend ooh he works here i was weirded out for a moment like god forbid someone says hello just to be nice and then I said someone looked good and got a lecture for it.

People need to be less sensitive I actually marked out when I heard this and I am not afraid to say it.

I preferred AW as Abraham Washington, him and Tony Atlas were hilarious but I didnt see anything wrong with that comment gee whiz I hate WWE nowadays last week was so good and this week back to the same PG crap

Kenny Kaos
07-31-2012, 09:56 AM
PC gone mad. Back in the Attitude Era that joke would have gone down a storm. I think Prime Time Players need a replacement manager while AW is on "vacation!" I nominate Joel Gurtner

Dennis
07-31-2012, 11:31 AM
To be honest I heard the comment, but didn't think anything about it. It didn't even dawn on me it had any unfavorably undertones to it when he said it. To be even more honest I had no idea what the hell he was even talking about.

I believe that if nothing more would have been said about it, it would have been dropped after the match and forgotten about but since WWE apologized and whatnot it's drew more attention than it needed e.g. TMZ picking up the story.
I want to agree but I'm sure places like tmz just wait for the wwe and other companies to make mistakes so they can have their new story... it's lame on how pc a modern day heel has to be...

latreal23
07-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Boo-hoo. He made a damn joke. I swear people cant joke about anything nowadays. The funny thing is the woman lied about getting raped. Whats life without jokes? Boring. Anybody who is mad get the sand out of your vagina and quit crying, because chances are you have said worse jokes than that.

Kenny Kaos
07-31-2012, 11:39 AM
Boo-hoo. He made a damn joke. I swear people cant joke about anything nowadays. The funny thing is the woman lied about getting raped. Whats life without jokes? Boring. Anybody who is mad get the sand out of your vagina and quit crying, because chances are you have said worse jokes than that.

100% agree and I certainly have, haha

latreal23
07-31-2012, 12:02 PM
100% agree and I certainly have, haha

Thank you for agreeing. This damn world has gone to crap. A.w says a joke and its horrible. A comedian says the same joke and its hilarious. People nowadays need to loosen up. Hell I remember when I was a kid and acted up and my mom would beat my ass right on the spot. Now its child abuse? The world sucks now.

Playboy Stevie V
07-31-2012, 12:20 PM
boo-hoo. He made a damn joke. I swear people cant joke about anything nowadays. The funny thing is the woman lied about getting raped. Whats life without jokes? Boring. Anybody who is mad get the sand out of your vagina and quit crying, because chances are you have said worse jokes than that.

^^^^ amen!

Dubs
07-31-2012, 01:06 PM
I don't think you're looking at it from a business prospective. I didn't really think the joke was all that bad but I can understand why some would get offended and see the joke as tasteless, which is why WWE had no choice but to issue an apology. AW made a mistake so I'll cut him some slack.

Besides, I didn't even think it was all that funny. It was a pretty outdated joke.

Playboy Stevie V
07-31-2012, 01:40 PM
I don't think you're looking at it from a business prospective. I didn't really think the joke was all that bad but I can understand why some would get offended and see the joke as tasteless, which is why WWE had no choice but to issue an apology. AW made a mistake so I'll cut him some slack.

Besides, I didn't even think it was all that funny. It was a pretty outdated joke.

I'm going to try to speak for him because I feel from reading his post, he wasn't writing from a business stand point, but from a social stand point of the people whining about what was actually said. The business aspects are obvious because of all the people crying over what was said.

I think this was towards those people who are on their high horse brow beating the actual words said as being total earth shattering and borderline pornographic. And AW should be instantly shot on the spot for such words, when worse has been done or said with regards to wrestling. But supposedly other non wrestling shows get a pass on such behavior because wrestling is held to a much higher standard all of a sudden.

I think it was a remark on hypocrisy and over sensitivity. And the fact that the actual Kobe situation is not totally factually known. As far as it looked to someone like me the woman lied, so she could score money. I have daughters and if some mega million star raped one of them, it would have went to trial for justice. Not just for a big pay off so the alleged rapist could still victimize other women.

But that's neither here no there. AW is gonna get blasted, while people like The Big Show brought the same thing up before.

Dubs
07-31-2012, 02:05 PM
I'm going to try to speak for him because I feel from reading his post, he wasn't writing from a business stand point, but from a social stand point of the people whining about what was actually said. The business aspects are obvious because of all the people crying over what was said.

I think this was towards those people who are on their high horse brow beating the actual words said as being total earth shattering and borderline pornographic. And AW should be instantly shot on the spot for such words, when worse has been done or said with regards to wrestling. But supposedly other non wrestling shows get a pass on such behavior because wrestling is held to a much higher standard all of a sudden.

I think it was a remark on hypocrisy and over sensitivity. And the fact that the actual Kobe situation is not totally factually known. As far as it looked to someone like me the woman lied, so she could score money. I have daughters and if some mega million star raped one of them, it would have went to trial for justice. Not just for a big pay off so the alleged rapist could still victimize other women.

But that's neither here no there. AW is gonna get blasted, while people like The Big Show brought the same thing up before.
I totally get agree that AW shouldn't get lambasted for making a mistake. He was trying to do his job as a heel and I get that. But I can understand why others would see AW's joke as tasteless. Hopefully AW is more careful next time and his heat fades a little bit.

Wrestling_Deluxe_08
07-31-2012, 02:09 PM
The only people offended by his comment are the political correct nut-huggers in the back, worried that it would hurt Linda McMahon's campaign. Who gives a shit about what he said? I wasn't offended by it, and neither should any of you.

I personally love it when things are UNCENSORED at times. It makes the shows more exciting and compelling that way. I wish A.W. would be allowed to say more things that could offend people. But no, WWE has to get all up in arms about a comment that doesn't even matter! Washington was only trying to make O'Neil look good. That's all.

Dubs
07-31-2012, 02:15 PM
The only people offended by his comment are the political correct nut-huggers in the back, worried that it would hurt Linda McMahon's campaign. Who gives a shit about what he said? I wasn't offended by it, and neither should any of you.

I personally love it when things are UNCENSORED at times. It makes the shows more exciting and compelling that way. I wish A.W. would be allowed to say more things that could offend people. But no, WWE has to get all up in arms about a comment that doesn't even matter! Washington was only trying to make O'Neil look good. That's all.
I don't think it was WWE getting all up in arms about AW's comment but rather avoiding negative publicity. Nothing wrong with that.

Dennis
07-31-2012, 02:40 PM

I agree. what is the fun of having bad guys if they have to constantly worry about what they are and are not allowed to say. I mean obviously to a point but watch tosh.0 and then come back and tell me the aw comment was bad.

Cynicism
07-31-2012, 03:41 PM
Let heels be heels. It was a joke that offended some people, some people didn't get it, some people laughed that's the balance you get with jokes. It wasn't very tasteful, it was however smoothly delivered and somewhat dated. I miss heels that say off taste things, I'm bored of just having the winging heel, I want the cocky "did he just say that?" heel. I'm sure he'll get punished for it, I'm sure I'll disapprove and I'm sure from a business perspective my disapproval wont mean anything because I won't throw a fit about it like the people who didn't like the joke will.

Kenny Kaos
07-31-2012, 03:44 PM
Let heels be heels. It was a joke that offended some people, some people didn't get it, some people laughed that's the balance you get with jokes. It wasn't very tasteful, it was however smoothly delivered and somewhat dated. I miss heels that say off taste things, I'm bored of just having the winging heel, I want the cocky "did he just say that?" heel. I'm sure he'll get punished for it, I'm sure I'll disapprove and I'm sure from a business perspective my disapproval wont mean anything because I won't throw a fit about it like the people who didn't like the joke will.

Very articulately put. 100% agree

Cabers
07-31-2012, 04:27 PM
Well if the WWE ever needed an excuse to fire the guy here it is!

BadAndy
07-31-2012, 07:02 PM

I'm about as far from politically correct as you can get. I have no love what so ever for the stupid labeling and packaging we've come up with for people. That being said, wrestling can be entertainment without crossing lines. I have no love for Kobe, in fact I really loathe the cat. I think the comment AW made was not offensive so much as it was tasteless. If I'm going to hear a racy comedian do his bit and he has a rape joke (Tosh) then I know what I'm going in to. He says the joke and I'll laugh. I'm not going to wrestling for the same reason. The comment just didn't have a place and I'd rather not have something like that being said. I know so many have commented that it would've been nothing back during the AE, but that doesn't make it any less tasteless. I think you can have attitude and be edgy without being vile.

Dennis
07-31-2012, 09:09 PM
Isn't Tosh.0 TV 14?
IMO this point is irrelevant.. watch any childs cartoon nowadays and they'll say all types of inappropriate jokes. as long as the kids don't understand it, it shouldn't have any relevance to it's rating (obviously you could make a case using an ad absurdum fallacy). you couldn't hear what aw said unless you really paid attention and the case is 8 years old so unless your over the age of 18 you probably wouldn't understand it anyway.

CricketTragic
07-31-2012, 09:49 PM
I'm about as far from politically correct as you can get. I have no love what so ever for the stupid labeling and packaging we've come up with for people. That being said, wrestling can be entertainment without crossing lines. I have no love for Kobe, in fact I really loathe the cat. I think the comment AW made was not offensive so much as it was tasteless. If I'm going to hear a racy comedian do his bit and he has a rape joke (Tosh) then I know what I'm going in to. He says the joke and I'll laugh. I'm not going to wrestling for the same reason. The comment just didn't have a place and I'd rather not have something like that being said. I know so many have commented that it would've been nothing back during the AE, but that doesn't make it any less tasteless. I think you can have attitude and be edgy without being vile.

This is ridicolous and shouldnt even be a subject

Next time A W could say

The Prime time players are like the politically correct nut huggers (Great line by the way Wrestling Deluxe) at the back... Unstoppable.

Makes for great television

Just like O J simpsons murder case.... Unwatchable OOPS

BadAndy
07-31-2012, 10:24 PM
This is ridicolous and shouldnt even be a subject

Next time A W could say

The Prime time players are like the politically correct nut huggers (Great line by the way Wrestling Deluxe) at the back... Unstoppable.

Makes for great television

Just like O J simpsons murder case.... Unwatchable OOPS

There's a difference in pushing the edge and being disrespectful towards somebody. There's a difference in what we might joke about and say in the privacy of our friends or family and how we talk in public. Vince and his wife would be mad about this comment for a reason. Her opponent could use this comment because of the poor taste that it is. Separate yourselves from your wanting of the AE and look at this logically. It's not something that is great television in the least bit. Kobe settled out of court. Two sides had opposing views of his situation but ultimately there is no verdict claiming he was guilty of something. This could be looked at as a defaming or slanderous comment. There are way too many things that are negative about the situation to make it okay because you want to have a little laugh. I said it before and I'll say it again, you can have the edge and the attitude without being crass.

Champion
07-31-2012, 10:28 PM
WWE will fire him and write him off by making him get breathed on by Cena, in storyline leading to him never being able to walk again, kayafbe him being fired.

Dubs
07-31-2012, 10:32 PM
IMO this point is irrelevant.. watch any childs cartoon nowadays and they'll say all types of inappropriate jokes. as long as the kids don't understand it, it shouldn't have any relevance to it's rating (obviously you could make a case using an ad absurdum fallacy). you couldn't hear what aw said unless you really paid attention and the case is 8 years old so unless your over the age of 18 you probably wouldn't understand it anyway.
But you can't compare a comedy show that's TV 14 to a wrestling show that's PG 13. We would expect to hear those remarks from Tosh.0 since his show is aimed at the ages 18 and up whereas the WWE puts out a family-friendly product for all ages to watch. Like BadAndy said, if I wanted to hear a joke, I'll watch Dane Cook (not that I would because hes awful as a comedian but you get my point) but I watch wrestling for the wrestling and entertainment, not some outdated joke that AW made.

Like I said before, I'm not going to bash AW for making a mistake and the joke really wasn't that bad as much as it was outdated but I can see why he got heat from it.

Dennis
07-31-2012, 10:47 PM
But you can't compare a comedy show that's TV 14 to a wrestling show that's PG 13. We would expect to hear those remarks from Tosh.0 since his show is aimed at the ages 18 and up whereas the WWE puts out a family-friendly product for all ages to watch. Like BadAndy said, if I wanted to hear a joke, I'll watch Dane Cook (not that I would because hes awful as a comedian but you get my point) but I watch wrestling for the wrestling and entertainment, not some outdated joke that AW made.

Like I said before, I'm not going to bash AW for making a mistake and the joke really wasn't that bad as much as it was outdated but I can see why he got heat from it.
my point is that tosh says jokes that are inappropriate and you know it. whereas aw just said a joke what only a few could understand and hear. I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished.. but firing him over this would be silly and IMO wwe shouldn't pander so much that they lose their quality heel work because they are constantly fearing offending someone. anyone who has ever said something in a public format knows if you say an opinion or a joke you are likely going to anger someone... it's inevitable especially if your trying to get hated.

BadAndy
07-31-2012, 11:00 PM

Totally agree with you. I don't think in any way he should be fired or suspended. He apologized and that's more than enough.

Dubs
07-31-2012, 11:11 PM
my point is that tosh says jokes that are inappropriate and you know it. whereas aw just said a joke what only a few could understand and hear. I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished.. but firing him over this would be silly and IMO wwe shouldn't pander so much that they lose their quality heel work because they are constantly fearing offending someone. anyone who has ever said something in a public format knows if you say an opinion or a joke you are likely going to anger someone... it's inevitable especially if your trying to get hated.
And I agreed with you on this but my point was that Tosh's material is for an older audience. AW's comment was meant for an older audience but since WWE is a PG show, I see it as pointless cheap heat since like you said, only few knew what he meant except for the younger audience. And you know how critical the media can be on WWE's product so it was better if WWE made an apology just to save face.

I agree. AW should not get fired for a mistake. He should just be more careful next time because it got him a lot of heat and not in a good way.

Totally agree with you. I don't think in any way he should be fired or suspended. He apologized and that's more than enough.
Exactly. An apology is what was needed and since he apologized, he can go back to putting over the PTPs.

URATOOL
08-02-2012, 06:29 AM
The crazy thing is that RAW isn't aired live in places like Australia. Yet they still broadcast the comment. Errrrrrm you had time to edit the audio guys!

Dr. Death
08-02-2012, 06:55 PM
It isn't that big of a deal, there are a million Kobe jokes around and he put himself in that particular situation so there shouldn't be any type of punishment for AW making the fleeting comment that he did. Personally I thought it was a funny piece of dialogue that contributed to his "heel" persona.

CricketTragic
08-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Really? That's weird.

Because Linda isnt running a campaign in Australia

Darkside Ron Garvin
08-02-2012, 07:31 PM
I heard the comment live. I thought the comment was funny because I knew the undertone. I also had my son watching with me who loves Kobe. He wanted to know what was funny about the comment (apparently he thought he was talking about Kobe beating the crap out of the Nuggets). It does put those of us with younger children in an interesting position. I personally don't have a problem with explaining to my son that he just made a dumb comment that wasn't needed and leave it at that. Others in the world panic and make it a horrendous thing in which they had to explain in detail as to how many reasons why this is a bad thing and that they are shocked that the E would let someone say such a thing.

I do think that the comment is being made into a big deal. Honestly, if it wouldn't have been for things such as twitter, FB, and now "Tout", I don't think Cole would have had to issue the apology because no one would have known that people were offended by it. I don't think people should take things like this to hart because like PSV said, I have heard heel managers say MUCH worse. However, with the E geared towards a younger crowd, it does make it a comment that is considered "out of bounds" for the current product. I can see AW getting suspended and having his "live mic" removed during matches (which is a damn shame), but I don't think he gets fired for this... Unless there is a large outcry in the E Universe for how "horrible" his comments were, or if Linda's opposition (since she's winning at the moment) uses it in a smeer campaign against her. My opinion

Dubs
08-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Because Linda isnt running a campaign in Australia
Still hasn't stopped them from editing out stuff from their shows in the past. But yeah, they probably didn't think it was big of a deal to edit out.

Dr. Death
08-02-2012, 10:04 PM
It isn't that big of a deal, there are a million Kobe jokes around and he put himself in that particular situation so there shouldn't be any type of punishment for AW making the fleeting comment that he did. Personally I thought it was a funny piece of dialogue that contributed to his "heel" persona.

^^^What he said^^^

Case closed, end of subject, no real relevance. Even Disney and other "film" makers, TV Stations, cartoon (even g rated ones) joke around. I swear people get butt-hurt over the smallest of things nowadays, the whole world has become a bunch of sensitive nancies, all of whom believe that everyone must be apologetic for everything they do, say, or act upon. It's getting to the point that one must have permission and went through a mile long of red tape bureaucratic bs just to take a dump. And yes; I did just quote myself.

VanHooliganX
08-02-2012, 10:22 PM

^^^What he said^^^

Case closed, end of subject, no real relevance. Even Disney and other "film" makers, TV Stations, cartoon (even g rated ones) joke around. I swear people get butt-hurt over the smallest of things nowadays, the whole world has become a bunch of sensitive nancies, all of whom believe that everyone must be apologetic for everything they do, say, or act upon. It's getting to the point that one must have permission and went through a mile long of red tape bureaucratic bs just to take a dump. And yes; I did just quote myself.

I agree with these 2.

More so the second guy. 1st kinda smells :P lol

Dennis
08-02-2012, 10:26 PM
I agree with these 2.

More so the second guy. 1st kinda smells :P lol
at first I didn't understand your joke so I laughed harder when I figured it out lol :)

wheelchair1986
08-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Was AW's comment funny, yes.
Was AW's comment appropriate no, the reason is simple PG is PG. If this was The AE, no body would of given a fuck and we wouldn't be talking about this. But now it just seems like every one in the wwe has to talk like it's an episode of yo gabba gabba.. It's getting very old and quite frankly if the "e" wants to keep the older crowd they need to loosen their grip w/ wrestler commentary. Other wise it's just a fucked up episode of American Gladiators. The younger crowd is important but the wwe has to remember the ADULTS HAVE THE MONEY!!!

Dubs
08-02-2012, 10:46 PM
I totally agree with you man. It's not being "sensitive" to the comment but rather being sensible to it. The AW remark didn't bother me one bit but I didn't think it was all that funny. It was pretty outdated. AW is still funny without the cheap heat. His Abraham Washington show back on WWECW was entertaining.