PDA

View Full Version : 11:05 PM Rumble Sunday - A Bad Thing?

El T Draino 316
07-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Ladies. Gentlemen.

At 11:05PM on Royal Rumble Sunday, Dwayne The Rock Johnson will very likely be the new WWE Champion. At least that's what a majority of our speculation is telling us. My initial reaction: terrible idea. That's unfair to the current full-time roster and a nonsensical business decision. But, than I really thought about what this would mean...

The Rock (as many of you surely saw) was ranked the 4th highest paid actor of the past year (not including WWE's paycheck). His level of celebrity, his star, has never been brighter. He is mega-famous right now, on a global scale. While I was at Mania in Miami cheering my ass off for Cena, I never thought I'd see myself saying the following: It would be awesome for the Rock to hold the title for a few months leading up to Mania XXXVIIII - for business.

How cool would it be to see The Rock showing up in different countries, on Letterman, on Conan, at movie premieres, and hosting SNL with the WWE's most covetted prize around his waist? The exposure he would garner would be humungous. To me, this is the opportunity the WWE missed out with CM Punk - a chance to have a champion who is skipping Raw after Raw, flaunting his WWE title just like he promised at different outlets and venues. 2+ months of a man as famous as The Rock showing off that belt could do wonders for the Mania buyrate.

Lastly, like I said, I was bummed out Cena didn't win at Mania. I felt like his loyalty to the company the last decade earned him a W against the Rock. However, if in their rematch, Cena beats the Rock AND wins the title on the biggest stage, all would seem right with the world. The Rock loves this company and the fans - I think he'd do this for them.

Thoughts?

Dr. Death
07-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Just a reminder; Summer Slam is the next PPV, Rumbles a ways away and alot of things could happen between now and then.

Dennis
07-26-2012, 02:15 PM
rock beats punk
cena wins rumble
cena redeems himself
all is right in the world again

El T Draino 316
07-26-2012, 02:19 PM
I guess the main purpose of the thread is this question... Do we support the idea of The Rock winning the title and actually being WWE Champion?

holycrapoly
07-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Definetely. Vince always does what is best for business. If that means putting the Title on Rock and not having a WWE Champion at live events for two months, but makes the company better in the long run...he will do it.

Dennis
07-26-2012, 02:30 PM
does the iwc support the rock winning the title IMO no. does the wwe support the rock having another title run? YES!YES!YES!

Cabers
07-26-2012, 02:45 PM
I guess the main purpose of the thread is this question... Do we support the idea of The Rock winning the title and actually being WWE Champion?

True and i don't want to see it.

Tommy Thunder
07-26-2012, 02:46 PM
I'm only in favor of The Rock winning the WWE title if he's going to be on WWE programming regularly during the time he has the title.
Now if WWE decide to give him a title run, I imagine that they will demand that he is on RAw on a regular basis (every other week at the very least) during that time, since I can't see WWE being happy with the WWE title not being on Raw each week.
I have no problem with The Rock winning the title if he's going to be on tv regularly during his title run.

HOWEVER, I'm very skeptical about that actually happening given how busy The Rock is outside of wrestling, and given that he'll be VERY busy around that time of the year hyping up the release of GI Joe (again). So I'm not sure at all if he's going to be able to commit to being on tv regularly because of that.

With that in mind, perhaps we won't see The Rock winning the title after all, since there's no guarantee that he can be on tv regularly, and I don't think WWE would be happy with their main title not on tv during their most important time of the year.

Playboy Stevie V
07-26-2012, 03:15 PM
I don't really know if I'm in favor or not, regarding the Rock winning the championship. But it is going to happen. He gave a promise and the WWE has been bringing it up. It's gonna happen. But I think he will drop it at WM.

But here's a interesting thought. I've seen pictures of the Rock at his house pointing at his past belts saying "Look! Not One Stupid Spinner Belt!" If the Rock wins this might be an opportunity for the WWE to change the belt. Just a thought. But then again if he drops the belt to Cena, which I think will happen at WM, Cena will just change it back.

Dennis
07-26-2012, 03:21 PM
I don't really know if I'm in favor or not, regarding the Rock winning the championship. But it is going to happen. He gave a promise and the WWE has been bringing it up. It's gonna happen. But I think he will drop it at WM.

But here's a interesting thought. I've seen pictures of the Rock at his house pointing at his past belts saying "Look! Not One Stupid Spinner Belt!" If the Rock wins this might be an opportunity for the WWE to change the belt. Just a thought. But then again if he drops the belt to Cena, which I think will happen at WM, Cena will just change it back.
I assume even john cena is sick of that awful design by now haha

Playboy Stevie V
07-26-2012, 03:27 PM
I assume even john cena is sick of that awful design by now haha

I would think so. But just what Big Show said to him on RAW about the spinner belt being designed for him (Cena), that it's his belt, sometimes makes me fear that ego might take the place of changing the spinner belt.

Then again Punk awhile back said something about the belt changing and I saw some pics of what the new belt suppose to look like. But that could have been bogus.

Dennis
07-26-2012, 03:38 PM
I would think so. But just what Big Show said to him on RAW about the spinner belt being designed for him (Cena), that it's his belt, sometimes makes me fear that ego might take the place of changing the spinner belt.

Then again Punk awhile back said something about the belt changing and I saw some pics of what the new belt suppose to look like. But that could have been bogus.
to be honest if we are just looking at the title since like 2005 the belt has pretty much been owned by cena and orton... no offense to punk and his great run but 9 runs for cena and 6 runs for orton... making cena by far the top guy for the belt for 7 years now and likely for the next five to ten years. so cena should have no reason to keep that silly design.

YOUcanCALLmeCRACK
07-26-2012, 04:12 PM
The next night on Raw would be huge. If he does win, he better show up every week or there is no point.

I have a feel the world is going to be more like "why is he doing that fake shit again" rather than say "oh I need to watch that." Who knows, really?

tommytam91
07-26-2012, 04:59 PM
if the rock wins the title...i want his ass in the chamber the next month.

Dubs
07-26-2012, 05:10 PM
This I agree with! The Rock defending the WWE championship in an Elimination Chamber match would be special but they will probably want The Rock to keep warm to prevent him from sustaining an injury until Wrestlemania 29 where he will face whoever the challenger will be for the WWE title.

Tommy Thunder
07-26-2012, 05:26 PM
I'm only in favor of The Rock winning the WWE title if he's going to be on WWE programming regularly during the time he has the title.
Now if WWE decide to give him a title run, I imagine that they will demand that he is on RAw on a regular basis (every other week at the very least) during that time, since I can't see WWE being happy with the WWE title not being on Raw each week.
I have no problem with The Rock winning the title if he's going to be on tv regularly during his title run.

HOWEVER, I'm very skeptical about that actually happening given how busy The Rock is outside of wrestling, and given that he'll be VERY busy around that time of the year hyping up the release of GI Joe (again). So I'm not sure at all if he's going to be able to commit to being on tv regularly because of that.

With that in mind, perhaps we won't see The Rock winning the title after all, since there's no guarantee that he can be on tv regularly, and I don't think WWE would be happy with their main title not on tv during their most important time of the year.

To add to this, If he wins the title at the RR, I expect him to defend the title at Elimination Chamber, or at least be in a match at the ppv.

And yes. I did just quote myself.

HeelTurn
07-26-2012, 05:28 PM
Perhaps only have 1 chamber match at the PPV, or maybe one for the World title and one for the challenger at Mania, leaving The Rock to defend the title in a one on one match or a tag team match like at the Survivor Series. Hopefully they won't team him with Cena though, Survivor Series was supposed to be "Never Before, Never Again" and they look to be going back on the "Once in a Lifetime" match at Mania.

Dennis
07-26-2012, 09:01 PM
I thought about that earlier when I was reading this thread.. cm punk getting his hands on the man who took the title away from him in a chamber... that. sounds. awesome.

CricketTragic
07-26-2012, 09:10 PM

I dont think Cena would bring the old spinner belt back, I think its just about shelved maybe as early as the next couple of raws IMO.

Also I do not think it is a guarantee the rock will win at the rumble and if he does it is the right time to do it seeing how its blatantly obvious that whoever holds the belt at the rumble goes on to mania meaning that the elimantion chamber although exciting on paper turns out to be a fizz and a very boring couple of months so why not put it on the rock then and have him going outlet to outlet bragging about being one of the highest paid actors and the WWE champion

Jerichoholic_92
07-27-2012, 08:58 AM
It would only be good for buisness short term. Sure it would garner a lot of attention, and Wrestlemania would be huge, but then what ? He isn't going to stick around. I imagine they would probably want to make someone a huge star out of that match (I'am guessing Punk) but really at the end of the day all you have is an actor who came in and won the title. Obviously it's no David Arquette, but dont you think it would somehow discredit the sport a little ?

Lowki
07-27-2012, 09:22 AM
rock beats punk
cena wins rumble
cena redeems himself
all is right in the world again
If John Cena wins the Royal Rumble i will rage. If cena enters at number 1, he is going to win it, and i will rage.

Pumpkinhead
07-27-2012, 09:40 AM
It will a big shock if Punk actually beats The Rock, maybe he comes the next RAW bragging about beating the best in the business and...BAM!!! glass shatters!!!

Wishful thinking of course

Dennis
07-27-2012, 11:32 AM
It would only be good for buisness short term. Sure it would garner a lot of attention, and Wrestlemania would be huge, but then what ? He isn't going to stick around. I imagine they would probably want to make someone a huge star out of that match (I'am guessing Punk) but really at the end of the day all you have is an actor who came in and won the title. Obviously it's no David Arquette, but dont you think it would somehow discredit the sport a little ?
this actor also happens to be considered a top ten superstar of all time so no I don't think it would discredit the sport hahaha. (top ten according to the wwe's list of top fifty superstars of all time I think he was even in the top five I'm sure someone who reads this can clerify his ranking more)

Dennis
07-27-2012, 11:34 AM
If John Cena wins the Royal Rumble i will rage. If cena enters at number 1, he is going to win it, and i will rage.
don't get me wrong I don't want him to win it.. but as a long time fan of the wwe he is my early favorite to win it looking at current story lines.

SHW
07-27-2012, 08:16 PM
i think this is setting up PERFECTLY to have something happen that never has before...

and that is the Rock failing.

Rocky has never been shy to put someone over, he knows carrying the strap for a few months does nothing for him personally or the E in whole.

Losing to Punk or Cena will have much more dramatic implications and be much, much better for the company in the long run.