PDA

View Full Version : Who is the most over-rated/under-rated TNA wrestler/superstar?

TheGreatOne
07-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Have you ever read forums where you see huge praise for wrestlers/superstars on the roster. I mean huge praise like you think "he is good, but he isn't as great as you make him out to be". Is there any guy where you tell yourself that when reading blogs, forums, ect where a superstar/wrestler is getting huge praise? Share with us who you believe is the most over-rated wrestler/superstar and the most under-rated. Under-rated obviously means not getting the recognition he or she deserves. I suppose I'll start:

Most over-rated: Daniels-Let us remind each other this isn't based on wrestling ability, mic skills or just 1 thing. It is based on the whole package of praise a wrestler receives. Daniels has been a thorn in AJ's side every year he returns to TNA. I'm an AJ fan, after the past couple of years I wonder why is he stuck with him? TNA obviously don't know how to use him, but every single time he returns he has to face AJ Styles. The current storyline where he has been facing Daniels has gone on for way too long. I'm sick of Daniels and their marks. I hate the storyline, the fact Daniels always has to ride AJs coattails, and I hate the fact Daniels can't keep a job with TNA without wrestling AJ. If you are as good as your marks claim you to be....you should be able to work with more than one person. As a fan of AJ Styles, I'm tired of it with his stints. Hard to wonder if he would be able to even keep a job if AJ wasn't around. We are still stuck in 2005 for goodness sakes. It it time to move on.

Most Under-rated: Magnus-I think if given the right push he could be a world champion in TNA one day. I believe he has that potential to be a world champion. Not given enough praise obviously, but he is sometimes not even on the show which does hurt you from time to time missing Impacts. I know the response I'll receive will be, Magnus can't booked on the show so he must not be good. Magnus can keep a job with TNA wrestling guys other than AJ Styles.

This may clash nerves, but it is nice to speak out your opinion on this topic.

Destruction
07-22-2012, 12:57 PM
My fellow Brit Magnus (Or Oblivion if you watch Gladiators :D) is awesome. His promo in the UK was brilliant, and the crowd was electric the whole time. He can go in the ring, and is extremely underrated.

Rick BoA
07-22-2012, 01:19 PM
I dont watch much TNA but I would have to say the most overrated wrestler is AJ Styles. Dont get me wrong he is pretty good, however for all the hype you hear about the guy I'd expect more out of him

MachoManFan
07-22-2012, 01:23 PM
For me the most over rated is Booby ROOOOooooode. I find him boring on the mic and generally average in the ring. Beer Money was a great team but without James Storm, Roode is just bland.

I agree that Magnus is under rated but would say EY is the one who suffers most. He can really work well in the ring, is over with the crowd and can talk. He could be so much better without the comedy gimmick.

K2Jelly
07-22-2012, 01:45 PM
For me the most over rated is Booby ROOOOooooode. I find him boring on the mic and generally average in the ring. Beer Money was a great team but without James Storm, Roode is just bland.

I agree that Magnus is under rated but would say EY is the one who suffers most. He can really work well in the ring, is over with the crowd and can talk. He could be so much better without the comedy gimmick.

Do you have the power to read minds or something? o.O Those were my exact two picks!

Bobby Roode is pretty overrated IMO. Sure, he's steadily improved over the past year but some people are already comparing him to Triple H. Are you kidding me. Triple H currently has the greatest grasp of in-ring psychology in the WWE. Boby Roode isn't anywhere close. Plus, his wrestling ability is pretty average as well. Nothing spectacular. The only thing I can give him credit to is his mic skills.

Eric Yound is severely underrated. This guy can work any gimmick of any kind and make it entertaining. He can be comedy relief, cult leader or revolutionary. Heck, he might have the ability to play them all at once!

Tommy Thunder
07-22-2012, 01:47 PM
I disagree saying that Daniels is overrated. It's not his fault that TNA choose to book him against AJ all the time.

I'd say that Bully Ray's underrated. Why hasn't he won a world title yet is beyond me. His heel run has been excellent from what I've seen, and they should consider putting the world title on him next before his heel run becomes stale. He's worked hard to get in good shape too, and his hard work should be rewarded. He's arguably the best heel in the business right now.

Overrated I would say is Hernandez. I've heard that TNA officials are high on him, but I can't see why. He's not great on the mic and he's a botch machine in the ring. I've seen a few videos where he's nearly seriously injured people with his finisher. I'm surprised he's still got a job.

Destruction
07-22-2012, 01:53 PM
I disagree saying that Daniels is overrated. It's not his fault that TNA choose to book him against AJ all the time.

I'd say that Bully Ray's underrated. Why hasn't he won a world title yet is beyond me. His heel run has been excellent from what I've seen, and they should consider putting the world title on him next before his heel run becomes stale. He's worked hard to get in good shape too, and his hard work should be rewarded. He's arguably the best heel in the business right now.

Overrated I would say is Hernandez. I've heard that TNA officials are high on him, but I can't see why. He's not great on the mic and he's a botch machine in the ring. I've seen a few videos where he's nearly seriously injured people with his finisher. I'm surprised he's still got a job.

He escaped my mind. You are spot on Tommy. From what I've seen, he deserves to be the #1 Heel in Impact Wrestling

Tommy Thunder
07-22-2012, 01:55 PM
I also agree with the guys who said that Bobby Rood's overrated.
Given, he's good, but he's not as amazing as some claim he is, and he's certainly not the better half of Beer Money. He's pretty good in the ring, and he's proved to be solid on the mic, but that's about it.
As far as I'm concerned, he's pretty average and Storm > Roode times 100.

Cabers
07-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Overrated: Rob Van Dam he just isn't the same anymore.

Underrated: Magnus hoping to see better use of him.

Darkside Ron Garvin
07-22-2012, 02:37 PM
I also agree with the guys who said that Bobby Rood's overrated.
Given, he's good, but he's not as amazing as some claim he is, and he's certainly not the better half of Beer Money. He's pretty good in the ring, and he's proved to be solid on the mic, but that's about it.
As far as I'm concerned, he's pretty average and Storm > Roode times 100.

While I see your point, I don't think Storm is that much greater than Roode. Roode has his quality, but I wanna see him go mega-heel now. Hell, I know this sounds bad, but have him cause Claire to have a miscarriage that way we could have the only memory of this IDIOTIC angle be that Roode is a baby killer.

As for Under-Rated - EY takes the cake. Magnus seems to have captured the eyes of someone in the back since he's been added to BFG this year and was in the semi-main event this past week. He will be pushed soon. But EY has been with the company forever and has remained in just a "there" state, even though he gets the attention of everyone in the crowd. He's a good heel, but as much as everyone hates on him for it, I love his comedy gimmick. When he was carrying around the old belt, and took the TV title from Robbie... He was what kept me entertained when so much other stuff was pissing me off.

Over-Rated = I wanna say Zema-Ion, but by him digging into the "I broke your neck" angle, I can't say that. He has my attention for sure. If I had to choose, I will go with Mr. Anderson. It is well documented through this site that I'm not the biggest fan of his. He is great on the mic and I love the expressions, but when a match seems to be deemed "poor", he is always in the ring for it. Hardy/RVD go at it one week and everyone says "Wow, look at'm go!" Anderson/Hardy or Anderson/RVD and everyone blames Hardy/RVD for the match not being great. Take a look at this past weeks Impact. Anderson caused AJ to botch the hurricanrana because he stopped before AJ got his legs over his shoulders. The flying forearm turned into a cross body because Anderson was too close and just generally in the wrong place. It's not that Anderson isn't a good wrestler, I really think he is. But I do think people give him FAR too many passes on his slop; He's not "Hernandez" bad, but everyone seems to blame the other wrestler when he's in the ring, whereas Hernandez is blamed for other wrestlers fuckups at times.

Playboy Stevie V
07-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Overrated- Devon

Underrated- Magnus and Kaz

christianfan
07-22-2012, 02:59 PM
most overrated is jeff harvey, underrated is magnus

LostOmega
07-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Overrated: Honestly, I can't think of anybody on TNA who doesn't deserve their position. A-Double is awesome to watch and listen to, Devon is annoying, yes, but he's barely on anymore so I can't really get mad at him, and Daniels is great at playing an asshole and he just got saddled with an abysmal storyline so I can't fault him for that. Maybe Kazarian, but I don't really give him the time of day considering everybody else is doing the talking except him.

Underrated: Eric Young. TNA's Santino. He has talent and he's been saddled with the Knockouts Tag Team Championship... AKA the most useless title in the show. I'm thinking Eric Young being with ODB is great for him! I think he should win the Television Championship. I wouldn't mind seeing every week because he doesn't bore me, especially if he's got ODB in his corner because that's always funny to look at.

Shaz11
07-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Overrated: Devon, Bobby Roode.

Underrated: Magnus, Eric Young, Kazarian and The Pope

Cynicism
07-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Now I know this isn't going to get a great reaction but for Overrated I say AJ Styles.
By that I don't want people saying "Cynic doesn't think AJ Styles is a good wrestler" cause if you think that, you're wrong. I just dont think AJ Styles deserves the mega heaps of praise he always seems to get. He's good, maybe great but he, nor anyone else, could be as good as he gets described.

For underrated I'm also picking Magnus, his wrestling is improving all the time, the guy can talk (not that we get a chance to hear that) and yet even his tag team run got pulled for the belts to sink into insignificance for a Jerry Springer style angle to take over the current tag champs. I'd say give him the TV title and put Devon out of my Misery (Devon would probably replace AJ as my most overrated but absolutely no one is talking about him or his title so no one is bigging him up)

Mikeyboy7777777
07-22-2012, 04:44 PM
Overrated: Rob Van Dam he just isn't the same anymore.

Underrated: Magnus hoping to see better use of him.

i second this

Suhayl
07-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Most Overrated: Jeff Hardy. He can barely talk, and is still praised for his WWE time. Well, I also have heard that he is unsafe worker. His matches are entertaining, but damn, this is only good thing about him.

Underrated: I think The Pope. He is a great talker, a great wrestler and he has a mountaints of charisma. And yet, he is only thrown into stupid storylines like this with Samoa Joe and Okado, or this one with Devon. Give him freaking TV title, I bet he'd make the belt worthy.

holycrapoly
07-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Overrated: Crimson... although some of his moves are cool, he doesn't feel like anything special as a talent. TNA is building him up, but he doesn't seem like a credible force. Over time, as he loses, I feel like the fans will stop caring about him.

Underrated: Many said Magnus, but what about The Pope?... D'Angelo Dinero has rarely been on TV in the past year, only now being on for the BFG series. He has the potential, but he is never even showcased on TV. I'd love to see him more often.

Robstar
07-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Over rated? Angle and Sting for sure. So many people talk them up and sure, Angle is a great performer but he's certainly past his prime. And as for Sting - he was a solid worker but he was at his best when people like Flair put him over - and made him look good. Crowd reaction does not a good wrestler make. Sting was never blessed with the in ring fluidity of a Hart, a Michaels or an Angle. To my mind, it's fans accepting a lesser standard for long enough that it becomes the norm. Then anyone who comes along who exceeds that standard is seen as an über-wrestler, like Daniel Bryan or AJ Styles.

Under rated? Chavo baby!

Robstar
07-22-2012, 05:13 PM
most overrated is jeff harvey, underrated is magnus

Is this some new guy? It's not Jumpin' Jeff Farmer is it?

Poot-Hair
07-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Overrated- I would go with Jeff Hardy. He's decent at best but mostly a spot monkey who sells merch to all the little kiddie "creatures"

Underrated- I'd go with Eric Young. The guy is built like a brick shit house, has charisma oozing from every pore, and makes the best out of every gimmick he's given.

thedag
07-22-2012, 05:50 PM
overrated - Aj he is a spot monkey and 75% wrestlers can do all his most. most can do them better.

ummm under rated umm = eric young.

akbar
07-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Overrated - JBL, Edge, Kurt Angle, RVD, MVP(by the IWC)

Edit: My bad, didn't see this is just for TNA.

HCollins-TNA1
07-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Over-rated.... Devon....
Sure he the TV Champion, sure he have beat all in his way..... But he hasn't really been challenged to best of his ability....

Under-rated.... Tie.. Eric Young, and Magnus....
Sure they both have been multi time tag champs and held various others titles... But they just seem held back at times... Magnus has a lot going for him with the BFG series... Hopefully if he don't win maybe TV title for him??? Eric Young the same almost can be said, with his outside ventures from wrestling with a show on Animal Planet... Think he would make a excellent annoucer or interviewer if they would add him to a spot like that..

FXK2I
07-22-2012, 08:00 PM
Overrated: Hulk Hogan

Underrated: Brooke Hogan / Bully Ray

Sahu
07-22-2012, 11:56 PM
Over Rated: Anderson (I never liked him), Angle/Sting ( past their prime), Crimson, Hernandez...
Under Rated: Kaz, Magnus, Pope, Eric Young ( a very talented guy..more talented than half of their roster yet very very under used)

I feel Daniels is not over rated...he's just hung up in a bad story line...n I really wonder some are saying AJ is over rated..I feel like what ever praises he's getting is less when compared to his talent...

Also, Roode is not over rated..but, I love Storm more than Roode...

Sage
07-23-2012, 12:41 AM
Over rated- I'd have to say AJ styles. It's not that he isn't great but for years I'd heard people talk about him as if he were a flawless god of wrestling, than I finally saw tna he just didn't live up to the hype.

Under rated- I don't watch enough tna anymore to name somebody

JohnnyV123
07-23-2012, 12:57 AM
It's not really fair to say a guys like Sting or Kurt Angle are overrated. It's like saying Undertaker is overrated because he only wrestles one match a year. Guys like them have gotten to a point where their greatness is judged on their past greatness not their current ability.

So as far as overrated I would say.....Mr. Anderson. Been said before fun on the mic but his moveset isn't really entertaining.

Underrated...there's a lot. The Pope lost his push because of heat in the back, Magnus has really impressed me lately but I wish he would add something to his look, EY is great would like to see him get beyond the comedy stuff at some point, Bully Ray is the best heel they have but he rarely wins a match, Abyss/Joseph Park is excellent in both roles but I don't feel gets the credit he deserves, and even Samoa Joe who gets a lot of credit should be THE guy in TNA not just one of the many so he is underrated.

Rick BoA
07-23-2012, 02:50 AM
You see one RVD match you've seen 'em all.

Bully Ray has grown on me as a singles wrestler from what ive seen. I never thought the Dudleys could do well on their own.

Robstar
07-23-2012, 03:33 AM
It's not really fair to say a guys like Sting or Kurt Angle are overrated. It's like saying Undertaker is overrated because he only wrestles one match a year. Guys like them have gotten to a point where their greatness is judged on their past greatness not their current ability.

So as far as overrated I would say.....Mr. Anderson. Been said before fun on the mic but his moveset isn't really entertaining.

Underrated...there's a lot. The Pope lost his push because of heat in the back, Magnus has really impressed me lately but I wish he would add something to his look, EY is great would like to see him get beyond the comedy stuff at some point, Bully Ray is the best heel they have but he rarely wins a match, Abyss/Joseph Park is excellent in both roles but I don't feel gets the credit he deserves, and even Samoa Joe who gets a lot of credit should be THE guy in TNA not just one of the many so he is underrated.

So, you're saying old wrestlers should get by on past glories alone then? Hogan is ok then? He gets a free pass because he headlined the first 3 Wrestlemanias? I don't think so.

Sahu
07-23-2012, 06:48 AM
So, you're saying old wrestlers should get by on past glories alone then? Hogan is ok then? He gets a free pass because he headlined the first 3 Wrestlemanias? I don't think so.

+Million!!!

Xpacfan
07-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Over-rated: Samoa Joe

Under-Rated: Gunner

kiltbill
07-24-2012, 02:47 PM
Over Rated: RVD and Hardy (2 spot monkeys that have little to offer. Maybe better as a Tag Team, a more mature Hardy Boyz).

Under Rated: Magnus, Pope, two young talents that they need to give better positions.
Also, Bully Ray, for being consistantly the best heel in the compnay. His feuds with monsters like Abyss/Parks, minows like Aries, and everyone in between have been highlights.
But without any singles belt to his name, he may run out of steam.

CGBigMan
07-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Overrated: Mr:Anderson
honestly I've never liked
he just comes of as annoying to me and his fairly average in the ring

Underrated: Definatly Magnus
don't know why they don't use him better yet

BadAndy
07-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Tough call when it comes to both categories.

Overrated: Jeff Hardy. Terrible, terrible, terrible mic skills. He just goes through the motions in the ring. Stop painting your damn face! You're a grown up. Close second would be RVD. The pot has gone to his head and Rob is in his own world these days, man.

Underrated: Toss up here. I love Douglas Williams and Magnus and feel both are severely underrated. While Douglas Williams isn't known for having a mic in his hand he may have hands down one of my favorite finishers and he's always solid in the ring. Magnus has shown in what little opportunities he's had on the mic that he's good. He's also always solid in the ring.

BadAndy
07-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Over Rated: RVD and Hardy (2 spot monkeys that have little to offer. Maybe better as a Tag Team, a more mature Hardy Boyz).

Under Rated: Magnus, Pope, two young talents that they need to give better positions.
Also, Bully Ray, for being consistantly the best heel in the compnay. His feuds with monsters like Abyss/Parks, minows like Aries, and everyone in between have been highlights.
But without any singles belt to his name, he may run out of steam.

I forgot about Pope. He's another of mine I really enjoy but never get to see him.

Amerinaine
07-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Overrated: AJ Styles: His in ring skills are really good, but not phenomenal like his moniker says he is. There is also his mic skills. They are almost always on and off. He can be really, really good on the mic, and than the next week, be really really terrible.

Underrated: Christopher Daniels: He has been lightning on the mic lately. His in ring is like the guy he is feuding with, phenomenal.

MrVoteLibertarian
07-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Samoa Joe=OVERRATED
Bully Ray=Underrated