PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with A-Ry?

Mr. Ziggles
07-21-2012, 08:21 AM
I've been a fan of this guy for ever since he turned Face (which is weird since I usually don't like faces, and Miz was my fav at the time), and it seemed like he was on the fast track to success, but then he suddenly feel from grace and started jobbing on superstars.

I don't know, what is wrong with this guy?

he has all the 'tools' Look, Charisma, Power, speed and aggression, he even still gets one of the best pops dispite jobbing for about 9 months.

So can someone please explain to me why this guy is jobbing?

I'm not saying he should be in the main event or even close to breaking through to it but surely he would be a better choice than Santino to be US champ?

Tommy Thunder
07-21-2012, 08:31 AM
He's in the proverbial 'dog-house' since he had those DUI's back last year.

His talent though is indeed being wasted right now. He's very charismatic, has a good look to him, he's solid in the ring and good on the mic. He's got the potential to be a top guy in WWE for sure, but right now, he should be higher up the pecking order than he is.

With so many big names around and some coming back between now and WM 29 (you have HHH, Brock Lesnar, The Rock, Undertaker apparently coming back on Monday, Chris Jericho, and the ever present Cena, Punk, Sheamus, Orton when he's back, Mysterio, Big Show, ADR, Bryan) WWE's roster is pretty stacked up top, so he's going to have to bide his time.

If I'm honest, I can't see many of the guys that are on the undercard getting a chance to rise until after WM 30, since WWE are hoping to top WM 28 with WM 29, and they then have to build up a huge WM for the 30th anniversary the following year, so some of the guys that are talented but on the undercard like Riley, McIntyre, Swagger amongst others could possibly have a long time to wait until they get a proper chance.

Poot-Hair
07-21-2012, 08:54 AM
What's wrong with A-Ry? I can name at least one reason; gimmick. Can anyone tell me A-Ry's gimmick? Can anyone tell me the difference between A-Ry and The Miz (other than a trenchcoat, a fauxhawk, and a catchphrase)?

The answers to those questions most likely is a no. He has no gimmick to get behind, no real story to showcase his charisma. That's not necessarily his fault, but it is a contributing factor to his decline. If he was given something to run with he may have a better chance at succeeding.

Black Mass Reverend
07-21-2012, 08:59 AM
I was never really a fan of this guy & honestly I think the only reason some people give a crap about him oddly enough has to do with his theme music. He did at good job a playing Miz's stooge, but that's pretty much it as far as I'm concerned. He's generic & a mediocre performer at best. There's nothing about the guy that wows me. Regardless, he's on the roster so they should give him something to do. Maybe stick him in a tag-team with someone like Bateman. That might actually work.

Tommy Thunder
07-21-2012, 09:05 AM
What's wrong with A-Ry? I can name at least one reason; gimmick. Can anyone tell me A-Ry's gimmick? Can anyone tell me the difference between A-Ry and The Miz (other than a trenchcoat, a fauxhawk, and a catchphrase)?

The answers to those questions most likely is a no. He has no gimmick to get behind, no real story to showcase his charisma. That's not necessarily his fault, but it is a contributing factor to his decline. If he was given something to run with he may have a better chance at succeeding.

Isn't he like a high school jock? They always push the fact that he excelled at all sports in high school, plus he wars that college style jacket to the ring.

Poot-Hair
07-21-2012, 09:15 AM
Isn't he like a high school jock? They always push the fact that he excelled at all sports in high school, plus he wears that college style jacket to the ring.But outside of calling people "nerds" what does he do to showcase this gimmick? It seems to me more like ring attire and less like gimmick attire if that makes sense. He just needs something more...solid I guess is the word I'm looking for.

Tommy Thunder
07-21-2012, 09:21 AM
But outside of calling people "nerds" what does he do to showcase this gimmick? It seems to me more like ring attire and less like gimmick attire if that makes sense. He just needs something more...solid I guess is the word I'm looking for.

To be fair, he's not had any mic time in recent months to get his 'gimmick' (if you can call it that) over. I've just going by what the commentators say during his matches.
Plus, you could see from the edition of 'Superstars Toyz' that he collected NBA jerseys, which furthers the sport jock thing.

Snair
07-21-2012, 09:23 AM
He needs the suitcase back that he used to carry during Miz's title run http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/082/884/images-5_display_image.jpg?1310254544

Wade Barrett 1979
07-21-2012, 09:30 AM
He can't risk being in the same building as Ted Dibiase Jr and Michael McGillicutty, the combined charisma black holes will rip the universe apart!

NOAHARDYBRAND
07-21-2012, 09:33 AM
He does have a catch Phrase though is say it to my face it's even in his theme

Sahu
07-21-2012, 11:00 AM
He's in the proverbial 'dog-house' since he had those DUI's back last year.

His talent though is indeed being wasted right now. He's very charismatic, has a good look to him, he's solid in the ring and good on the mic. He's got the potential to be a top guy in WWE for sure, but right now, he should be higher up the pecking order than he is.

With so many big names around and some coming back between now and WM 29 (you have HHH, Brock Lesnar, The Rock, Undertaker apparently coming back on Monday, Chris Jericho, and the ever present Cena, Punk, Sheamus, Orton when he's back, Mysterio, Big Show, ADR, Bryan) WWE's roster is pretty stacked up top, so he's going to have to bide his time.

If I'm honest, I can't see many of the guys that are on the undercard getting a chance to rise until after WM 30, since WWE are hoping to top WM 28 with WM 29, and they then have to build up a huge WM for the 30th anniversary the following year, so some of the guys that are talented but on the undercard like Riley, McIntyre, Swagger amongst others could possibly have a long time to wait until they get a proper chance.

I Can't put better than this...

But, E should give these younger talent at least some chance....A-Ry is truly charismatic and he has got all tools to become a gud face in E....n more over he's 6'3" n almost 240 lbs also...:D

Pumpkinhead
07-21-2012, 11:08 AM
I might get heat for this, but I think A-Ry has the potential to become a top face in the future

Sahu
07-21-2012, 12:09 PM
I might get heat for this, but I think A-Ry has the potential to become a top face in the future

Even I said the same thing in my above post!!!

Shining Light
07-21-2012, 12:13 PM

As do I... The crowd seemed behind him after his face - turn and if it wasn't for that DUI of his, I believe that he would have had a US title run by now at least

HCollins-TNA1
07-21-2012, 12:22 PM
I've been a fan of this guy for ever since he turned Face (which is weird since I usually don't like faces, and Miz was my fav at the time), and it seemed like he was on the fast track to success, but then he suddenly feel from grace and started jobbing on superstars.

he has all the 'tools' Look, Charisma, Power, speed and aggression, he even still gets one of the best pops dispite jobbing for about 9 months.

I'm not saying he should be in the main event or even close to breaking through to it but surely he would be a better choice than Santino to be US champ?
Lots of things wrong with him.....
1. he still young..
2. a big push push against a former Main Eventer that didn't really pay off..
3. he lack a few things, from a good gimmick to the ability to cut a good promo..

HCollins-TNA1
07-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Add Big Zeke and Jindar Mahal to the group and you have the J.O.B Squad. Or WCW's Misfits in Action.
Ezikial Jackson I could see him steeping into the Mark Henry monster role if and when Henry leaves or retires from the WWE..
Jinder Mahal now he got the talent to be a major heel... It just that the Great Kahli feud was such a failure...
Ted Dibiase Jr and Micheal McGillicutty now both have so much talent and deserve a bigger push... Mid card titles or even as a Tag Team if WWE would chose...

scribbler_jones
07-21-2012, 01:07 PM
In response to Tommy Thunder's explanation of why A-Ry gets next to zero air time: that totally sucks. But then again, it can't be helped - so it looks like Riley's doing "community service" for who knows how long... though I think they should throw him some kind of bone for still playing ball through it all. Also, I doubt creative would have anything for him right now. As someone else may have posted earlier, with everything going on now like Raw 1000 in the works, damn near everything is booked up. My question is: why not make him a bigger star on Superstars? I know that sounds like a paradox, but since he's going to be there for a while, why not really build him there as a real player? Give him more wins and air time to keep the fans invested in him. I just worry that with him jobbing for so long, eventually people will lose interest in him - and by the time he gets legit air time, nobody will care.

Playboy Stevie V
07-21-2012, 02:46 PM

I agree with you, he does have all the tools. Personally i would put A Ry in a Tag Team with Swagger. Give them both letterman jackets and gimmick them up like frat guys, with a cheerleader valet. A modern day Varsity club.

That would kill 4 birds with one stone.

1 give something for A Ry to do.
2 give something for Jack to do
3 give something for a diva to do
4 beef up the tag team division.

thedag
07-21-2012, 03:36 PM
this thread gets made like every month.

akbar
07-21-2012, 03:50 PM
A lot of things.

Cabers
07-21-2012, 04:35 PM
Lots of things wrong with him.....
1. he still young..
2. a big push push against a former Main Eventer that didn't really pay off..
3. he lack a few things, from a good gimmick to the ability to cut a good promo..

Agreed with most except for the promos the crowd do get behind him.

Mr. Ziggles
07-21-2012, 05:56 PM
I agree with you, he does have all the tools. Personally i would put A Ry in a Tag Team with Swagger. Give them both letterman jackets and gimmick them up like frat guys, with a cheerleader valet. A modern day Varsity club.

That would kill 4 birds with one stone.

1 give something for A Ry to do.
2 give something for Jack to do
3 give something for a diva to do
4 beef up the tag team division.

This is actually a good idea, but what Diva could pull off an all-american cheerleader gimmick apart from Kelly Kelly who isn't around at the moment and is the Cena of the divas.

Playboy Stevie V
07-21-2012, 06:01 PM
This is actually a good idea, but what Diva could pull off an all-american cheerleader gimmick apart from Kelly Kelly who isn't around at the moment and is the Cena of the divas.

Dont know yet. I've havent thought that part out. I'm sure it wouldnt be hard to find a bubbly bleached blonde.

The Brown One
07-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Tommy is on to something. The roster is stacked full of big stars right now who are always on the shows, so lower card talent are going to have to wait for a while, like Reks and Hawkins and The Usos had to wait for ages before getting pushes and being featured on the main shows.

But have you ever thought about this: Hes not as good as you make him out to be. Not everyone you see potential in can be a main eventer you know.

BadAndy
07-22-2012, 12:35 AM
I thought his being in the doghouse was also due to the fact that he botched quite a few moves with Swagger and company.

jonod
07-22-2012, 06:05 AM
In answer purely to the threads title question: Nothing.

bartish2
07-22-2012, 08:12 AM
whats wrong? creative. I dont even know what this guys gimmick is for one thing. number two they constantly bury anyone who is not a main eventer because they love to shove the same guys down our throats year after year just to please the kids. expect nothing for a-ry

Daffy Duck's Finest
07-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Seriously, what do people see in him? He's poor in the ring, he's not the greatest on the mic, he's getting old and he has a history outside of the ring.

Why waste time on him when there's so much more potential working in NXT and Superstars right now.

LostOmega
07-22-2012, 09:54 AM
I feel like the only issue with Alex Riley is his claim to fame, the fact that he turned his back on The Miz. Let's be homest here, the only reason why people know A-Ry, outside of the IWC, is because of his turn on The Miz. There's nothing else to his name beyond that. Until he gets back on Raw and creative finds another epic feud for him to get into, then I feel A-Ry will be stuck at the bottom.

Machomadness97
07-22-2012, 10:33 AM
There is not enough room for him on the roster. Superstars more like legend are coming back and are taking over. Superstars such as John Cena, C.M Punk, and many more are taking up to much room for jobbers to have a match. Right now, Alex Riley belongs in Superstars because he is not needed on Raw or Smackdown. I believe he has decent matches but after he left Miz, he was yet interesting as a face. He is better as a heel, but I believe every superstar including Riley deserves a match either on Raw or Smackdown. Smackdown has decent matches but most matches are boring. The main events are always Tag Team Main Events and the show is based on boring matches and promos. Riley can have at least a match on Smackdown and maybe he can feud with Health Slater if he wins the title.

Machomadness97
07-22-2012, 11:04 AM
If Riley is not used in a great singles superstar he should be used as a tag team superstar. The tag team division is getting interesting again and Riley is no where to be found. He should join a tag team and make a great impact!

Cynicism
07-22-2012, 02:37 PM
I've personally never got that A-ry band wagon, I don't think he's terrible I just don't see anything special in him personally

Champion
07-22-2012, 02:43 PM
My opinion is he is more suited for a Face. I don't think he needs a gimmick as he works well with the fans from just being a face. He needs to keep his theme, make his firemans carry cutter his only finisher and get a push. He was in the main event not long ago. The creative team have screwed up with him. He needs to go back on RAW and defeat the mid carders. He also could win the US title from Santino Marella, and perhaps have matches with Evan Bourne. Perhaps they could be like Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle, or Rey Mysterio and Eddie Guerrero.

Champion
07-22-2012, 02:44 PM
If he is to enter the tag division then perhaps he could tag with Ted Dibiase.

imswm
07-22-2012, 02:46 PM
"Getting cornball nicknames like A-Ry" is usually a good place to start when deciding on "what went wrong" issues. HA

jelle1809
07-23-2012, 05:24 AM
No idea what's wrong with him. Unfortunately whatever he has done, he is definetly getting wasted. He is a good star who has the tools to become a main event player. I remember that in April during the Revenge Tour he got the biggest pop of the evening. (Except Punk and Y2J)

dub
07-23-2012, 02:40 PM
I might be crazy for sayin this but, doesn't A-Ry have the ability to be just as good as Cena? They have the same build, They are the same in the ring (A-Ry maybe better), A-Ry gets a really good pop from the fans as does Cena (alot of that has to do wit fans being tired of him), they both don't really have gimmicks... But yet Cena is MILES Ahead of him. I mean maybe it's just me but I have always wondered what makes Cena THAT MUCH MORE Better than A-Ry????