PDA

View Full Version : Bodyguards. It's been a while.

URATOOL
07-20-2012, 05:39 AM
We haven't seen a decent, long running, heel with a bodyguard angle. I always remember Lux Luger going around (WCW) with Harley Race as his mentor/manager and Mr Hughes as his bodyguard. It just seemed to work so well. Whenever the heel looked in trouble, in stepped the bodyguard. Whenever they needed someone taken out but didn't want to get their own hands dirty, in stepped the bodyguard.

Now we have seen it done recently for brief periods. Mason Ryan (I'll come back to him) with CM Punk. Tensai with Johnny Ace. But both were to brief. Hughes was with Luger for months (it may have been over a year).

Now two names come to mind from the current roster. Lets face it, creative have nothing for Ryan or Jackson. Whilst both are built like trucks, neither seem to have the charisma, mic skills or ring skills to get themselves a decent push. So why not use one or even both as bodyguard(s) for a heel. I'd say Miz works well with someone backing him up or doing his dirty work. Maybe he is the ideal candidate for the return of the bodyguard angle.

Joonny
07-20-2012, 06:17 AM
Alberto Del Rio 2011 - Brodus Clay
The Miz 2011 - Alex Riley

Gazza010
07-20-2012, 06:27 AM
I agree it has been a little while, I think there is a place for it and that I would personally like to see it, especially for example: having The Miz as the devious, wity one and someone like Ryan being the enforcer.

However, I think once it does occur, give it a month or two, and then you might get people starting to complaining that "he doesnt win clean", or "Im tired of him always interfering in the match". In this day and age, I doubt you will see any bodyguards sticking around for a year as I think fans today dont have patience or attention-span.

URATOOL
07-20-2012, 06:40 AM

Yeah Clay was ok, but it was dropped to soon.
Riley was never a bodyguard.

URATOOL
07-20-2012, 06:42 AM
I agree it has been a little while, I think there is a place for it and that I would personally like to see it, especially for example: having The Miz as the devious, wity one and someone like Ryan being the enforcer.

However, I think once it does occur, give it a month or two, and then you might get people starting to complaining that "he doesnt win clean", or "Im tired of him always interfering in the match". In this day and age, I doubt you will see any bodyguards sticking around for a year as I think fans today dont have patience or attention-span.

The key with Luger and Hughes was that Hughes didn't get involve all the time. It was just from time to time. The rest of the time he just stood around, in dark glasses, look mean as fuck.

Sahu
07-20-2012, 08:19 AM
yeah its high time to bring that angle n Miz will suit it better..n how abt Damien Sandow?? He can put a Body Guard to save him from the ignorant flock??

or just give one last run for Christian n Tomko n allow Christian to become a heel WWE Champion with Tomko as his problem solver...they really make a gr8 team..:D

Mr. Ziggles
07-20-2012, 08:28 AM
Hunico and whats his name? Gamacho?

johnnydropkicks
07-20-2012, 08:33 AM
Hunico and whats his name? Gamacho?

not sure that qualifies as bodyguard cause more often it's camacho the one that's getting beat up of the two of them. so I think that is more special riding buddy than bodyguard.

Lowki
07-20-2012, 08:48 AM
It was so brief i actually forgot about Clay with Del Rio.

I wouldn't count Riley either, he's hardly an "enforcer". Bodyguards are supposed to be huge guys - Mason Ryan would probably be "small" for a 'major stars' body guard. I personally think Hunico and Sin Cara should feud properly - Hunico looks like one of those goons in a comic book, Camacho is his back up. sin cara looks like a super hero so they could really run with a comic style storyline (Basically cheat, attacks "planted" fans with sin cara making the save etc) I am actually surprised that with Comic movies being so huge in hollywood that WWE's 'hollywood' writers haven't actually pitched something like that. If they want Sin Cara over, and hit the kid market, i'd say that's one very good way to go with it - just make it less cheesy. What's wrong with fake, mild peril right?

I digress; The last few bodyguards i actually remember (and liked) that actually had a long run (with a slow build up) was Batista with Rev. D'von and Tomko with opera christian!
Trying to dig deep; wasn't A-train a bodyguard in X-factor too?

Tommy Thunder
07-20-2012, 08:59 AM
I hope they use Mason Ryan in this role. since he's doing nothing, he could greatly benefit from hanging with someone like Miz.

TheDevilsAdvocate
07-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Every time they have attempted the bodyguard role over recent years they never seemed to last long. A moment that stands out in my mind at the moment is when Tyson Kidd introduced his bodyguard 'Andrew Jackson' or 'Jackson Andrews'. His name escapes me. He delivered a horrible clothesline. Knowing that a guy like that was given a chance then I would feel a 1000 times better if Ezekiel Jackson or Mason Ryan got themselves a bodyguard role. I think Heath Slater should get a bodyguard. He gives off that certain cockyness that represents a qualified opportunist.

johnnydropkicks
07-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Slater isn't near big enough to be a bodyguard.

vikingsman18
07-20-2012, 10:23 AM
The whole bodyguard gimmick doesn't always work well. It seemed they were going to put mason Ryan as Dolph's bodyguard but they obviously dropped that story. The only times it really worked is when HBK brought in Kevin Nash and when Christian had Tyson Tomko.

Cabers
07-20-2012, 11:10 AM

Could you really class Alex Riley as a bodyguard lol

OT: Yea the last time the went for this was Ezekiel Jacksons debut and more recently a guy called Jackson Andrews who actually was gone quicker than Braden Walkers wwe career any of these names ring a bell?

Joonny
07-20-2012, 11:33 AM

Iknow, but he acted like one. If Miz did need any help, A-ry was there to beat someone up. He also participated in some of his matches (Steel Cage Match vs Cena)

Daffy Duck's Finest
07-20-2012, 12:18 PM
The whole notion of a bodyguard insinuates that the person who hired him cannot get the job done alone. Therefore this damages the person's reputation.

'Associates' on the other hand are better. This is because size isn't an issue, and anyone could fill the role. In recent years (in addition to the aforementioned duos), the most successful one was the JBL/ Orlando Jordan combination. It worked due to Jordan being an annoyance, not his size.

However, I would like to see Jackson or Ryan trying out a role as a bodyguard. That's the only chance they have of staying on the WWE roster for the foreseeable future.

Haruko Haruhara
07-20-2012, 12:30 PM

Tyson Kidd had that one tall dude for like 2 weeks!

Lowki
07-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Tyson Kidd had that one tall dude for like 2 weeks!
Jackson Andrews as Cabers mentioned.

Tommy, I agree about Ryan. I actually want him to get used more often (Being welsh has a lot to do with it though)

Viperfish
07-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Every time they have attempted the bodyguard role over recent years they never seemed to last long. A moment that stands out in my mind at the moment is when Tyson Kidd introduced his bodyguard 'Andrew Jackson' or 'Jackson Andrews'. His name escapes me. He delivered a horrible clothesline. Knowing that a guy like that was given a chance then I would feel a 1000 times better if Ezekiel Jackson or Mason Ryan got themselves a bodyguard role. I think Heath Slater should get a bodyguard. He gives off that certain cockyness that represents a qualified opportunist.

Agree with Ezekiel Jackson, but not Mason Ryan. Ezekiel Jackson looks like a mean SOB, I mean facially on top of the physique that he has. Mason Ryan has a good physique but to me he has the same problem that Tensai has, he's not intimidating because of his face. To be fair Mason Ryan is suffering from horrible hair syndrome, the same ailment that Jack Swagger is suffering from. Ryback would make a good bodyguard-like figure too, again because of his physique but also because of his facials.

Personally I think Ezekiel Jackson would be a very good fit with AW and the Prime Time Players. If AW is going to get on peoples nerves enough to warrant having a bodyguard around for his protection then I don't think there's a better fit on the roster than Ezekiel Jackson.

EDIT: If you're confused about the facials thing, then just think of David Otunga or Chris Masters... two more guys that have the body but not the face for it.

Pumpkinhead
07-20-2012, 06:59 PM
Anyone remembers the name of they guy who was Chavo's bodyguard in La Familia???

Dubs
07-20-2012, 09:29 PM
I would like to see Mason Ryan become Cody Rhodes' bodyguard. Cody Rhodes having a bodyguard in Mason Ryan would be an interesting dynamic for him. It would be similar to when he used Ted Dibiase Jr to do his dirty work during his grotesque days on Smackdown. This will give Cody Rhodes some new material to work with since he hasn't really be doing anything lately.

bearkg88
07-20-2012, 09:39 PM
I would like to see Mason Ryan become Cody Rhodes' bodyguard. Cody Rhodes having a bodyguard in Mason Ryan would be an interesting dynamic for him. It would be similar to when he used Ted Dibiase Jr to do his dirty work during his grotesque days on Smackdown. This will give Cody Rhodes some new material to work with since he hasn't really be doing anything lately.

^^^^^ This. I am a big Cody fan, but I think having a body guard would really help. It would be the last thing to run with Rhodes, before pushing him to the main event I think

S.E. Zero
07-20-2012, 10:01 PM
^^^^^ This. I am a big Cody fan, but I think having a body guard would really help. It would be the last thing to run with Rhodes, before pushing him to the main event I think

Unless of course, they place him in a bodyguard has had enough of being looked down by the one he protects and attacks him storyline. That would delay his push to the main event.

It'd be somewhat similar to the situation where Riley attacked The Miz and turned face but that was unexplored to the point where Riley would've benefited from it.

A perfect example a bodyguard that benefited from that type of storyline was Batista when he left Evolution and since most people obviously compare Ryan to Batista, who's to say they wouldn't do this type of storyline with him through an alliance with Rhodes. At least that's what I think.

Rick BoA
07-20-2012, 11:40 PM
I liked the idea that was rumored of Ziggler using Ryan as a bodyguard. Drop vickie and have him back up Ziggles. Just keep him away from a real match and the microphone and it could work well.

Peter Kaymakcian
07-21-2012, 03:52 AM
Anyone remembers the name of they guy who was Chavo's bodyguard in La Familia???

His name was Bam Neely

Sahu
07-21-2012, 12:12 PM
One More Time give us Christian n Tomko!!!

One More Time!!!

body slam
07-22-2012, 10:15 AM
A person I think would be great with a bodyguard would be TBS. Run a angle that someone jumped him in the back so he hired someone to watch his back. The meanest baddest man he could find. Then make it the complete opposite of whats expected and have a little asian guy.

Machomadness97
07-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Bodyguards would be a great way for big superstar to be taken serious. I think it could be used to heel superstar that are not used that much.