PDA

View Full Version : Cole and "legends"

Lowki
07-17-2012, 07:48 AM
I noticed at Money in the Bank and then on Raw, that Cole seemed to refer to certain people as legends/future hall of famers quite a lot. I wonder if this is some kind of phasing out of certain stars?
He called everyone in the Raw MITB match "future hall of famers", called rey mysterio "one of the greatest WWE superstars in history" and Jericho a "legend".
Fair enough, they are. But it's just the frequency in which these terms are suddenly being thrown about that has me intrigued. The people he used terms on are also about to enter feuds with younger talents;
Jericho v Ziggler, Cena v Punk, Rey v ADR

I don't think i've ever seen so many terms like legend/hall of famer used so much in a short space of time, on so many different people.

In an event that will utilize plenty of legends, I have a feeling the 1,000th episode could see the start of some kind of push for younger talents.

bartish2
07-17-2012, 08:26 AM
you actually take anything cole says seriously?

Spear-O-Matic
07-17-2012, 08:39 AM

At the end of the day, what Cole says inevitably comes down from Vince and that means Vince is deeming these guys Future HOF'ers and Legends.

Also, I think the main reason for this isn't "phase out" the current upper tier of superstars, but verbally put them over in our minds and make them seem larger than life. Making Jericho seem like this legend with unlimited skill and knowledge will only serve to put Ziggler over more when he finally topples Jericho, without hurting Jericho's image in our eyes.

DK Wrestling Savior
07-17-2012, 08:40 AM
I think you might be reading a little too much into it. I think it's more of a push to lower the Michael Cole Heel gimmick perception.

King Scrapper
07-17-2012, 10:15 AM
At the end of the day, what Cole says inevitably comes down from Vince and that means Vince is deeming these guys Future HOF'ers and Legends.

Also, I think the main reason for this isn't "phase out" the current upper tier of superstars, but verbally put them over in our minds and make them seem larger than life. Making Jericho seem like this legend with unlimited skill and knowledge will only serve to put Ziggler over more when he finally topples Jericho, without hurting Jericho's image in our eyes.

Not sure about this one. I dont think they will have Ziggler go over Jericho. Yes, they will have Ziggler have tons of great matches with him and give him a run or his money, but i dont think they plan on having Jericho lose much anymore. If I'm reading the promo from yesterday correctly.

Lowki
07-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Not sure about this one. I dont think they will have Ziggler go over Jericho. Yes, they will have Ziggler have tons of great matches with him and give him a run or his money, but i dont think they plan on having Jericho lose much anymore. If I'm reading the promo from yesterday correctly.
Yeah, judging by comments from everyone I may have jumped the gun in regards to phasing out. I meant more along the lines of using the "legends" to push the younger talents a bit more. I think from the Jericho promo he may have another title run coming up. With the shots ziggler took about not winning anything, including money in the bank, i'm hoping Jericho might be inline for a RR win, but i could see barrett getting it. Jericho deserves to win everything at some point in his career though personally (RR and MITB) but there's not a lot of time left for him to do it.

ewantu2
07-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Yeah, judging by comments from everyone I may have jumped the gun in regards to phasing out. I meant more along the lines of using the "legends" to push the younger talents a bit more. I think from the Jericho promo he may have another title run coming up. With the shots ziggler took about not winning anything, including money in the bank, i'm hoping Jericho might be inline for a RR win, but i could see barrett getting it. Jericho deserves to win everything at some point in his career though personally (RR and MITB) but there's not a lot of time left for him to do it.

No he should not win the RR or the MITB. I think he might retire to Dolph.

Cabers
07-17-2012, 03:10 PM
I think you might be reading a little too much into it. I think it's more of a push to lower the Michael Cole Heel gimmick perception.

I was thinking that the direction seems to be going towards tweener at the minute.

eboy
07-17-2012, 05:17 PM

Cole is McMahon's mouth piece in Mick Foley's "countdown to lockdown" he reveals that Vince is quite insistent on every word from the commentators, dislike Pronouns to the point the repetion of one's name becomes illogical for example: Cena, whips Mysterio across the ring and Mysterio slides underneath Cena, but its "Rise above hate" John Cena who powers Rey Mysterio down what a great move by, Future Hall of Famer, John Cena.

So yeah we need to take more attention of what Cole says.

as for the topic, I think you could be right, just when Vince is surrounded with legends and vetrans he decides its time to shake things up, I wouldn't be surprised if something big happened on 1000th Raw

URATOOL
07-17-2012, 06:08 PM
It's merely another annoy Coleism. Like wittering on about RAW being the loooongest episonic show and like when he won at mania. Cole just doesn't have an off switch and milks things past death.

Dennis
07-17-2012, 06:11 PM
I did note as well that he called the corner knee of punks "vintage"

Lowki
07-18-2012, 12:47 PM
No he should not win the RR or the MITB. I think he might retire to Dolph.
I think Jericho's at that stage where he deserves something like this. They threw Kane and Undertaker sympathy title runs, and also did the same for HBK.

Lowki
07-18-2012, 12:49 PM
Cole is McMahon's mouth piece in Mick Foley's "countdown to lockdown" he reveals that Vince is quite insistent on every word from the commentators, dislike Pronouns to the point the repetion of one's name becomes illogical for example: Cena, whips Mysterio across the ring and Mysterio slides underneath Cena, but its "Rise above hate" John Cena who powers Rey Mysterio down what a great move by, Future Hall of Famer, John Cena.

So yeah we need to take more attention of what Cole says.

as for the topic, I think you could be right, just when Vince is surrounded with legends and vetrans he decides its time to shake things up, I wouldn't be surprised if something big happened on 1000th Raw
Yup, i just found it odd that he put so much focus on "legends" when referring to current superstars who aren't THAT old that they are nearing retirement. Fair enough Undertaker and Triple H, but Jericho and Mysterio (aswell as big show, kane, cena, miz) being called legends and future hall of famers? It's not something he frequently says about current superstars.

Could just be Vince hyping them up so their next feuds give a bigger push.

Pumpkinhead
07-18-2012, 09:00 PM
I think he is calling them legends bacause surely they will be in the Hall of Fame and besides Kane, Show,Y2J, Rey don't have much time left so they might retire soon