PDA

View Full Version : What's next for CM PUNK?

Dennis
07-16-2012, 06:42 PM
I find it a little ironic that everyone is so focused on the cena win overshadowing the wwe title match that they are forgetting that CM PUNK just beat daniel bryan again.. to me I think this rivalry is either over.. or they need to add a new spin to it because punk has won against bryan at the last few ppv's... I personally would want to see them move away from the daniel bryan rivalry because it seems like they are not going to allow daniel bryan to win so if that is the case who is next in line for a title shot? and if they do prolong the bryan feud how do you spin it so that we believe bryan can actually win this time.. also if the punk bryan feud ends.. what is going to happen to AJ Lee? also is summerslam the ppv to end punks reign?

akbar
07-16-2012, 06:56 PM
It's Cena time!!!

Dennis
07-16-2012, 07:07 PM
It's Cena time!!!
I'm a cena fan and I can't believe how much he is overshadowing cm punk haha... but back OT you think cena is going to take the belt soon?

Seanb93
07-16-2012, 07:09 PM
I think they will continue to play out this angle a little bit...Then fued with Orton...AJ will turn on Punk for Orton somehow.

akbar
07-16-2012, 07:10 PM
I'm a cena fan and I can't believe how much he is overshadowing cm punk haha... but back OT you think cena is going to take the belt soon?
Well his going to be feuding Punk over the summer, that's for sure.

Dennis
07-16-2012, 07:14 PM
lol if that happens I'm just going to pencil in punk vs cena for next years summerslam as well ahhah

I think they will continue to play out this angle a little bit...Then fued with Orton...AJ will turn on Punk for Orton somehow.
I like the thought behind this but I think it is flawed in two ways.. vince wants orton to be a face.. two faces shouldn't face each other for the title.. and orton is smackdowns "franchise" player why take him away from smackdown?

TheDevilsAdvocate
07-16-2012, 07:17 PM
Also The Rock is set to return. I smell a Triple Threat match in the making.

bearkg88
07-16-2012, 07:20 PM

I think TDA is right. Because didn't the rock just finish filming a movie? And with GI Joe's release date being moved to next year, when it was originally slated for next month, you've got to figure it frees him up

akbar
07-16-2012, 07:20 PM
He's returning or he's making an appearence for 1000th?

Seems like this guy is signing on to a new film everyday.

johnnydropkicks
07-16-2012, 07:34 PM
even more IWC hate

thedag
07-16-2012, 07:41 PM
big show. i dont think cena and punk will happening.

Dennis
07-16-2012, 08:31 PM
big show. i dont think cena and punk will happening.
well if punk has the title and cena has the briefcase.. doesn't it have to happen eventually haha?

beatfighter3000
07-16-2012, 08:45 PM
That WWE championship belt is completely overshadowed by the wreak of Cena. This isn't a cena bashing thread, in fact it's quite the opposite, possibly going as far as a Cm Punk Bashing thread.

Ok, i'm not a "hater" of Cm Punk by any means, but I have to say, i'm a bit tired of this whole invincible punk that we have been seeing since last year. I mean I can quite frankly say, I was behind the hype of punk, and his infamous summer of punk rant. In fact, i've been a major fan of him since around 2004, but that's beside the point.
Basically, I fear that what happened to Cena, is happening to Punk, and i'm beginning to get a bit tired of this character. His past couple matches with D-bry or Bry-D have solidified my feelings about it all. I mean similarly to Cena, Punk is appearing to be dominated the entire match, and right near the end, appears to pick up, and slide away with a victory. Thats right, I said it, Slide away. For any of you who haven't watched Punk's match at MITB, watch it right away to see why I am a lil bit pissed.

I love the whole badass, dgaf, straight edge, diet pepsi drinking persona Punk lives by. Hes an awesome wrestler, awesome Mic-ist, Pipe-bomb general, and is just an amazing talent. I just really don't like the whole direction Punk is taking, but I hope we'll see a weakness soon.

I don't wanna be one of those fans just because of a promo or such, but something needs to be done.

P.s I saw a similar thread to this, but thought I needed to make a thread based on a different topic but on the same wrestler

But what are your current thoughts on punk?
What do you think are his pros, his cons? and what do you think can enhance his already great character so that he doesnt appear repetitive?

drumn4life0789
07-16-2012, 09:04 PM
He is face. Its what happens. His natural arrogance and sarcasticness(word?) come out when he is a heel and therefore is better. Don't worry he will become heel again sometime.

Playboy Stevie V
07-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Rock beats Punk for the belt at summer slam.

Cena cashes in the case after punk turns heel after the match a beats rock down.

MinistryOfDarkness
07-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Actually, I've thought all of his matches, and mainly his WWE Championship matches, have been pretty evenly matched. Daniel Bryan and CM Punk will NEVER put on a bad match, I don't care what anybody says. If they don't think it happens every time, you're not a pure wrestling fan. I was hoping for more of a feud with Dolph Ziggler, but seeing as though he is Mr. MITB for the WHC, that won't happen anytime soon. Even his matches with John Cena, in my opinion, didn't disappoint. And I'm most definately a Cena hater lol.

I do agree his character needs a slight tweak to more of the outspoken Punk that we saw through mid to late 2011. If this happens, I'd have absolutely no problem seeing him remain WWE Champion for quite some time.

MachoManFan
07-16-2012, 10:18 PM
He is face. Its what happens. His natural arrogance and sarcasticness(word?) come out when he is a heel and therefore is better. Don't worry he will become heel again sometime.

sarcasm. you're welcome!

OT: I don't think Punk has had a bad run as a face. He was face when I first started watching Raw again and I always prefered his character then to his Straight Edge Saviour heel. I disagree that he's come over as superman either. Any long reigning champ will have to either win against the odds or just be dominant (equally boring) or otherwise they'll lose the title. Where Punk goes from here is anyone's guess, I'd say he'll turn heel soon after dropping the strap but I don't know.

Playboy Stevie V
07-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Well there goes my prediction...damn u wwe creative!

thedag
07-16-2012, 10:38 PM
well if punk has the title and cena has the briefcase.. doesn't it have to happen eventually haha?

no it doesn't. cena had a year to cash it. i'm just glad its not summerslam cuz it make no sense having your two top faces against each other.

TheDevilsAdvocate
07-17-2012, 01:04 AM
I think TDA is right. Because didn't the rock just finish filming a movie? And with GI Joe's release date being moved to next year, when it was originally slated for next month, you've got to figure it frees him up

It does sound very suspicious. I'm hoping he does more after the 1000th episode.

He's returning or he's making an appearence for 1000th?

Seems like this guy is signing on to a new film everyday.

This is the most likely scenario unfortunately. I want him to do more, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just an appearance.

The Brown One
07-17-2012, 01:29 AM

Why would they put him in a triple threat match? I think they would save him for a one on one match for the WWE title. And I REALLY hope he wins the title sooner than later and pisses off back to hollywood so others can be at Wrestlemania in the WWE title match.

The Brown One
07-17-2012, 01:34 AM
Are you watching the same CM Punk I am? How can you say hes just like Cena?
Hes been the most entertaining champion in years, even now. I'm sick of people who only loved him when he did that shoot promo last year and then got bored 2 months later. You can't expect him to do shoots every week, it will get boring. Even Punk said it himself at this year's Comic Con - "I can't do shoots every week, because I'll lose my appeal".
Hes not super, as I imagine you were getting at. He actually wrestles quite evenly based matches (maybe 60% offense), which is more than I can say for Cena.

If you think Punks bad now, I can imagine how much you'll bitch when Cena becomes WWE champion again.

Robstar
07-17-2012, 02:09 AM
Oh where were these guys in the 80's when long, boring title reigns were par for the course? They'd have a fit.

Wade Barrett 1979
07-17-2012, 03:30 AM
Wait a minute.... I thought people had enough of short reigns and the title being passed around??

Now it's reigns being too long? I canne keep up!

S.E. Zero
07-17-2012, 03:38 AM
Wait a minute.... I thought people had enough of short reigns and the title being passed around??

It's not the reign itself, it's the character portrayed (in this case Punk's) on said reign that people are bitching about now.

Wade Barrett 1979
07-17-2012, 03:40 AM
It's not the reign itself, it's the character portrayed (in this case Punk's) on said reign that people are bitching about now.

Ah is this a back up in case anything happens with Cena?

S.E. Zero
07-17-2012, 03:45 AM
Ah is this a back up in case anything happens with Cena?

Seems that way. Most people can't ever really enjoy the little things nowadays. They feel their message will always get across better if they bitch about it =/

URATOOL
07-17-2012, 04:05 AM
Oh where were these guys in the 80's when long, boring title reigns were par for the course? They'd have a fit.

Probably still in their daddies nutsack!

Fatality
07-17-2012, 05:30 AM
Hes been the most entertaining champion in years, even now. I'm sick of people who only loved him when he did that shoot promo last year and then got bored 2 months later. You can't expect him to do shoots every week, it will get boring. Even Punk said it himself at this year's Comic Con - "I can't do shoots every week, because I'll lose my appeal".
Hes not super, as I imagine you were getting at. He actually wrestles quite evenly based matches (maybe 60% offense), which is more than I can say for Cena.

If you think Punks bad now, I can imagine how much you'll bitch when Cena becomes WWE champion again.

Well said!! I hope he continues his reign.

K2Jelly
07-17-2012, 05:39 AM

Well, I guess they want a title reign that lasts "just right" which would probably be 4-5 months. Until they get sick and tired of all the title reigns lasting the same amount of time for everyone and they start griping about the predictability. :rolleyes:

The Brown One
07-17-2012, 07:05 AM
Well, I guess they want a title reign that lasts "just right" which would probably be 4-5 months. Until they get sick and tired of all the title reigns lasting the same amount of time for everyone and they start griping about the predictability. :rolleyes:

I'd say it has more to do with who the champion is. Lets take Sheamus for example. No one cares how long his reign is, because hes one of the most boring wrestlers on the roster.

El T Draino 316
07-17-2012, 07:06 AM
I'm not a huge Punk fan myself, so these next sentences should speak volumes for the guy. CM Punk, from what I've witnessed, has been the grittiest, toughest, and most believable fighting champion in recent memory. Rather than a series of sneaky wins, or cheap wins, he just continues to chalk up quality, hard-nosed wins. I think the WWE and Punk's work ethic have done a fantastic job selling us on the idea that he truly is the Best In The World - just like the WWE Champion should be.

That said, I think using the main event issue as storyline is a copout. The WWE wanted Cena in the final slot, well, because he's Cena. I think they realize, hmm Punks put on main event quality matches 7 straight PPV's. "We really should have had him main event a few of those. Oh well, let's pretend its part of a bigger, underlying storyline. That'll make us seem logical and wise."

Lowki
07-17-2012, 07:10 AM
Just because he's having a long title run doesn't make him invincible. He's been pretty even in all of his feuds actually.

bartish2
07-17-2012, 07:37 AM
they do that get beat up for the whole match and come back and win for mostly every champion. Its boring and no wonder people are tired of him. He also said he would make the belt relevant again but the title has been overshadowed by cena for months. Its gotten to the point when he makes his entrance I just don't care anymore. Yes I like the fact he has gotten a long run but lets face facts. He loses ratings, he is boring now & hes not even the main event of a PPV when hes world champion. They needed to drop it to bryan. Hopefully punk wins at 1,000th raw and loses it at SS to bryan. I guess you can put some blame on creative too, saw punk was drawing massively and turned him face which defeated the purpose of his MITB character.

bartish2
07-17-2012, 07:39 AM
It's Cena time!!!

cena AGAIN? how much longer can you watch the same old crap? I mean shit the WWE does not even need him. The PPV buys for TLC 2011(without cena) only lost 13,000 buys whereas PPVS with cena lose tens of thousands of buys. The raws after he was fired did just fine in the ratings as well, like nexus firing... also when big show took cena out a few times before NWO, those raws did just fine. We have daniel bryan to chant yes for and the kids got punk. Cena's drawing power is heavily over rated. I just can't believe you wanna see him AGAIN doing his same old crap. Enough with him ffs.

Lowki
07-17-2012, 07:52 AM
they do that get beat up for the whole match and come back and win for mostly every champion. Its boring and no wonder people are tired of him. He also said he would make the belt relevant again but the title has been overshadowed by cena for months. Its gotten to the point when he makes his entrance I just don't care anymore. Yes I like the fact he has gotten a long run but lets face facts. He loses ratings, he is boring now & hes not even the main event of a PPV when hes world champion. They needed to drop it to bryan. Hopefully punk wins at 1,000th raw and loses it at SS to bryan. I guess you can put some blame on creative too, saw punk was drawing massively and turned him face which defeated the purpose of his MITB character.
Punk usually has equal offence. Every champion usually has a match where they get beat up a lot because it makes the crowd think they might lose their title and also makes their opponent look like a credible threat.

bcfccalum
07-17-2012, 08:12 AM
bring back the straight edge saviour!! straight edge means he's better than you

Revolver Magus
07-17-2012, 10:15 AM
I have to agree, during his current reign (or those before it) CM Punk has never come off as another Super Cena. Cena's meal ticket is this "never quit, never give up" Mantra hes been milking for the past 7 or so years (I'm not a Cena fan but don't take this as bashing). Now in CM Punks case it looks similar to Cena simply because hes a baby face and the current WWE champion. As is the case with any face champion, it will always seem like the tried and true 'overcoming adversity and beating the odds' ending to his matches. However if one were to watch his matches you would see that is entirely untrue in fact he is the very definition of a 'fighting champion'.

I would like to cite what I feel one of his more unappreciated matches, his bout at wrestlemania 28 with Chris Jericho. Next to D-bry it was one of the most technically sound matches since Chris Beniot Vs Kurt Angle on Smack Down almost 10yrs ago (Seriously Youtube that match, it will blow your mind). Both Punk and Jericho, were completely even, there was no Huge comeback with cheap pop signature moves (I.e. the 5-knuckle shuffle). In fact Punk barely won that match by the skin of his teeth.

Generally you can tell if the face Champion is going to 'Hulk up' and win (especially if its heel dominant) However in punks case I applaud him for keeping you guessing.

SESAfro
07-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Most of us weren't alive yet Rob. :)

To give a point to what everyone has been, I shall give some analogies. Imagine that you're taking a lady, or guy, friend out on a date. You guys go to a super fancy restaurant that requires suits, petals and pretty dresses. You have one of the best meals of your life. Both of you decide to go there for dinner for the rest of your lives. Lo and behold, 3 months in, you're sick of the place. Nothing's the same. Dullness rings your bell everyone you step into the facility. You've become over saturated in the experience and it has become distasteful. See what's happening? Even the rapper Lupe Fiasco once said; "You can't have something overly lyrical all of the time, there's no need for that. Something's have to be lyrical and some have to be simple."

Pittbull
07-17-2012, 10:41 AM
I personally think Cena will be the first to miss cashing in the money in the bank reason being at Money in the Bank they kept sayng "who ever wins money in the bank has won the title 100% of the time"... not this time CENA!!!

vinnienfg
07-17-2012, 10:51 AM

Well said!

I hope Punk's reign continues for a few more months. I want a CM Punk vs Daniel Bryan vs Chris Jericho triple threat match for the title. Three of the best wrestlers in WWE today and would leave fan's guessing until the end. Unlike any John "snoozefest" Cena match.

ewantu2
07-17-2012, 11:06 AM
Did you watch his match on RAW? He had to use the rope to get out of a pin from the Big show! Also the fact that he has had it for so long makes me think hes going to lose it in his next defense.

vinnienfg
07-17-2012, 11:08 AM
I personally think Cena will be the first unsuccessful cash in. I think Big Show will come out and hit Cena with the WMD.

Lowki
07-17-2012, 11:48 AM
All i'm saying is this;
As someone who had to sit through Triple H's 280 world title reign in 2003, CM Punk is far more entertaining. We endured defence, after defence, that usually ended up with evolution interfering all the time followed by 20-30minute promos along the lines of "I-ah, Am the game-ah." I really hated 2003.

Lowki
07-17-2012, 11:50 AM
I agree pitbull - it;s either going to be cena or dolph that will screw up. let's hope it's Cena because he definitely doesn't need the title. The way they are hyping Punk's title run by comparing it to other champions (whilst also stating how many days left to catch the next record) seemingly points to him retaining. But Cena + 1,000th raw probably means Cena win.

We could always be saved by the Great One though :)

Kenny Kaos
07-17-2012, 11:54 AM
If The Rock cost Cena in his match against Punk next week I would mark the fuck out!

Revolver Magus
07-17-2012, 12:09 PM
All i'm saying is this;
As someone who had to sit through Triple H's 280 world title reign in 2003, CM Punk is far more entertaining. We endured defence, after defence, that usually ended up with evolution interfering all the time followed by 20-30minute promos along the lines of "I-ah, Am the game-ah." I really hated 2003.

Still that was better than Hunters 1999 - 2001 "Mcmahon/Helmsley Era...you wanna talk about drawn out and repeated promos? To this day I have no Idea how I was able to suffer through that XD

vinnienfg
07-17-2012, 12:11 PM
If The Rock cost Cena in his match against Punk next week I would mark the fuck out!

Same!

Though I see Big Show costing Cena.

Kenny Kaos
07-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Same!

Though I see Big Show costing Cena.

Don't care who does it, as the Nation of Domination use to put it "By ANY means necessary!"

vinnienfg
07-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Don't care who does it, as the Nation of Domination use to put it "By ANY means necessary!"

Hell yeah! A Nation of Domination re-union to cost Cena the title would be epic! totally not gonna happen though :(

Tommy Thunder
07-17-2012, 12:44 PM

That's one possibility I think. Either that or he could be special guest referee for the match on Raw next week. Another possibility is that we'll see The Rock helping Punk beat Cena next week, setting up Rock vs Cena again. There's a few things that could happen next week, I can't wait!

Cabers
07-17-2012, 03:06 PM
I personally think Cena will be the first unsuccessful cash in. I think Big Show will come out and hit Cena with the WMD.

I definately see it happening!! Or Cenas wife delivering the DPD (Divorce Paper of Doom).

Cabers
07-17-2012, 03:06 PM

Summerslam i reckon.

Revolver Magus
07-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Summerslam i reckon.

I certainly hope not, did'nt we do that last year -AT- Summerslam?

Dennis
07-17-2012, 04:30 PM
after watching raw I think the punk bryan feud is over... so you guys are right.. punk vs cena for the next couple of months! :( lol

TheGreatOne
07-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Punk facing Show and Cena most likely. Hopefully neither ends his reign. Rather someone different win the belt and end his reign. I think it will happen shortly after Summerslam to be honest. Not a lot left to accomplish during his reign. Need to freshen things up a bit. Hopefully someone ends Sheamus's reign soon. Boring champion....not ADR either!!

thedag
07-17-2012, 09:24 PM
i still don't think it will be cena and paunk at Summerslam. makes no sense to me. also that leaves big show with nothing. i don't see them using up there two top face in one match.

Dennis
07-17-2012, 09:25 PM
I'm actually psyched for another CM Punk vs John Cena rivalry. They have great chemistry with each other whether it's in the ring or on the mic. I'm hoping they'll top their awesome MITB match.
Don't get me wrong I think cena and punk put on good matches... but I along with many other members of the IWC want something new to be honest I wanted bryan to win at money in the bank.. punk is funner to watch chasing the title

Pumpkinhead
07-17-2012, 09:37 PM
I smell a triple threat, perfect way to give Cena the title without hurting Punk

Dennis
07-17-2012, 09:46 PM
I smell a triple threat, perfect way to give Cena the title without hurting Punk
it would make sense.. though I don't think a clean lose to cena would hurt cm punk I mean look at what he has done on this title reign he has given us all we could ever ask for plus some as far as putting on great matches... selling great feuds... I mean I have watched wrestling for a long time and he can make you believe that he is actually injured.

I understand what you mean. I too wanted to see Daniel Bryan win the WWE title at Money in the Bank. His character has been very entertaining. His WWE title run would have been all sorts of awesome. I wonder what they have in store for Daniel Bryan since hes out of the title picture.
yes! plus he would still be a heel.. sadly he won't be a heel for much longer... or so it looked that way on raw

Lowki
07-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Still that was better than Hunters 1999 - 2001 "Mcmahon/Helmsley Era...you wanna talk about drawn out and repeated promos? To this day I have no Idea how I was able to suffer through that XD
True... although the story began with THE most obvious thing happening; Steph helping triple h beat McMahon. I was about 12 and i saw that coming.