PDA

View Full Version : Does Dolph REALLY need the MITB briefcase?

Kenny Kaos
07-16-2012, 09:59 AM
For me the WHT MITB ladder match was probably the 2nd best match on the card last night (behind Punk and Bryan). It was paced well, had some good spots and I was pretty happy Ziggler won...but did he NEED to?

Now don't get me wrong, I like the guy. Has a great look, great on the mic, sells better than 50 Shades of Grey to middled aged women (if you're British, you'll get the last part!). But for me, he doesn't need it.

All this "its about damn time!" spiel he spouts as he heads to the ring? Really? You've already had about 4 title matches with Superman II (Sheamus). Its not like this has suddenly elevated him into the main event atmosphere. He has been main eventing (okay, jobbing the main event, but still main eventing). On and off since the Royal Rumble. He has put on some excellent matches with Sheamus, he's already a main eventer in the eyes of most smart fans. I just feel the MITB win would have been better served for someone like Cody, who is so close to that level and it would have been the perfect catalyst for him to reach it.

Hopefully Cody's time will come, but anyway, just my thoughts. Still very happy to see Dolph win it. I just hope he won't be the 1st guy to cash it in and lose it, like they kinda teases last night after Sheamus beat Del Rio.

scottyseville
07-16-2012, 11:00 AM
He didn't need it, I agree with you, I already see him as a main event superstar, personally I wanted to see Rhodes pick it up, he;'s a great talent and i think he's been overlooked.

Well am just glad Tensai (Albert) or whatever you want to call him, didn't get that shot. what a f*cking waste that would of been. least Ziggler has talent.

Pumpkinhead
07-16-2012, 11:01 AM
For me the WHT MITB ladder match was probably the 2nd best match on the card last night (behind Punk and Bryan). It was paced well, had some good spots and I was pretty happy Ziggler won...but did he NEED to?

Now don't get me wrong, I like the guy. Has a great look, great on the mic, sells better than 50 Shades of Grey to middled aged women (if you're British, you'll get the last part!). But for me, he doesn't need it.

All this "its about damn time!" spiel he spouts as he heads to the ring? Really? You've already had about 4 title matches with Superman II (Sheamus). Its not like this has suddenly elevated him into the main event atmosphere. He has been main eventing (okay, jobbing the main event, but still main eventing). On and off since the Royal Rumble. He has put on some excellent matches with Sheamus, he's already a main eventer in the eyes of most smart fans. I just feel the MITB win would have been better served for someone like Cody, who is so close to that level and it would have been the perfect catalyst for him to reach it.

Hopefully Cody's time will come, but anyway, just my thoughts. Still very happy to see Dolph win it. I just hope he won't be the 1st guy to cash it in and lose it, like they kinda teases last night after Sheamus beat Del Rio.

I got the feeling he will be the first one to fail

Poot-Hair
07-16-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm going to go against the grain here and say yes he did need the briefcase. For a long while Dolph has been just this close to being on "top". Granted he did have a series of stellar matches with Super Cena's Albino Brother Sheamus, but does anyone remember why? It's because Orton got suspended, and they needed somebody to fill in the spot quickly. That's why Ziggler got the nod.

The MITB briefcase to me seems like Dolph's reward for being their "go to" guy for the past number of months and really busting his ass. This briefcase basically guarantees him to be Champ this year (unless the fuck him and he's the first to lose. My fingers are crossed that it's Cena). This briefcase is going to get him alot of air time in the next several months and that's a good thing. It really solidifies him as a main player for the forseeable future.

LMPunker
07-16-2012, 11:07 AM
for me only 3 guys were gonna win it dolph/cody or at a strech tyson kidd(but spend months building him up) and cody is only 27/28 his time is soon so for me dolph was the ideal winner id like dolph to truely be a show off and announce in advance of when he will cash in and win to get his show off gimmick over just my opinion of course

Kenny Kaos
07-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Well argued arguments for and against. I think Ziggler could be the first guy to lose too, they kinda teased it last night when it looked like he was gonna cash it in and got Broughed

Tommy Thunder
07-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Did Ziggler deserve to win it? Yes, absolutely. But I agree with KK that the briefcase win would have benefited Cody Rhodes more.

Ziggler for me is there. He's main event level, he's been getting slightly more mic time recently (I'd still like to see him get more though), and he's proved overt the past few months that he can hang with the top guys in the company like Punk, Sheamus, Bryan, ADR, Cena etc. Regardless of if he'd won the briefcase or not, it was only a matter of time before he won the WWE or WHC IMO.

Rhodes however has lost quite a bit of momentum since he dropped the IC title the first time to Show at Wrestlemania. Prior to that he was on the brink of being in the main event scene. I expected him to be pushed in a similar fashion to Ziggler after he dropped his US title, but we've not seen Rhodes reach the same heights as Ziggler in recent months.
I think think that winning the MITB briefcase would have been that extra boost that Rhodes needed to regain the momentum he had a few months back.

I'm still very happy that Ziggler won though. I was pulling for him or Rhodes to win it, but Rhodes would have been my first choice as IMO he needed the boost more-so than Ziggler.

hiphopjunkie
07-16-2012, 11:38 AM
I just hope he won't be the 1st guy to cash it in and lose it, like they kinda teases last night after Sheamus beat Del Rio.

Didn't the Miz get thwarted a bunch when he won Money in the Bank?

Kenny Kaos
07-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Fair point, but you know someone's going to cash it in and fail sooner rather than later

hiphopjunkie
07-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Fair point, but you know someone's going to cash it in and fail sooner rather than later

True, but it should be Cena. The loss would set a precedent for Money in the Bank and it would not hurt John Cena.

drumn4life0789
07-16-2012, 12:41 PM
I think he definitely needed to win it. Ziggler has been his own worst enemy over the last year. He is so good at selling and putting people over that he got stuck in that role. I also think that it will be a good way for him to get away from Vicky. He can go on to win the title and say he did it on his own and doesn't need her anymore.

Adreme
07-16-2012, 12:50 PM
They clearly are not ready to make Cody WHC yet which is fine. Among the people in the match who even were close to ready there was Rhodes and Ziggler. I cant blame them for deciding to go with Ziggler over Rhodes for now and wait for the next big retiring old guy to slip rhodes into that spot.

Kenny Kaos
07-16-2012, 12:54 PM
They clearly are not ready to make Cody WHC yet which is fine. Among the people in the match who even were close to ready there was Rhodes and Ziggler. I cant blame them for deciding to go with Ziggler over Rhodes for now and wait for the next big retiring old guy to slip rhodes into that spot.

Agree with this pretty much

G.G.G.
07-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Now do I think Dolph needed the briefcase to get to the Main Event status? No. But I think putting the briefcase on him was a good move. Ziggler is gold on the mic and in the ring, and it was only a matter of time before he got to the main event level. But giving him the briefcase now can put him at that main event level instead of having to wait until someone else is moved out, because if so they may have missed the boat on Ziggler. Plus with the feud with Del Rio seemingly leading to a Del Rio title reign when would Ziggler ever get his break again? This briefcase now gives Ziggler the next title reign instead of waiting for creative trying to fit him in.

All in all I think Ziggler needed the briefcase to get to the main event spot quicker instead of waiting and potentially missing the opportunity.

capn-edu
07-16-2012, 01:07 PM
Ziggler doesn't need the briefcase
the briefcase needs him..

Cabers
07-16-2012, 02:01 PM
I respond with: It's about DAMN time.

'nuff said.

El T Draino 316
07-16-2012, 03:12 PM
I probably sound like a broken record, but when (I refuse to say if) Ziggs wins the WHC, I really really hope he gets to cut some promos. Daniel Bryan and CM Punk's feud (and countless others) has been fantastic because theyve really been able to tell a story (and AJ). The WHC feuds have seemed very physical as of late - you beat me up, I beat you up, 2 minute backstage rant, but I feel like we don't know why they are beating each other up. All I'm asking for is a 5-10 minute promo, maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks with both guys in the ring talking to each other. The best part of that feud was Ric Rod impersonating Sheamus. Hell, Cena and Jericho's encounter a few weeks back felt fun and exciting. I believed their tension in 5 minutes almost more than Del Rio and Sheamus's in 5 weeks.

Back to my point. I'm (somewhat)okay with Vickie sticking around this long with Dolph. But, if he's in the title picture he HAS to get some in-ring promo time with his opponent. These 2 or 3 minute backstage segments are driving me nuts.

the_viper
07-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Does anyone know where I can watch the whole PPV for free?

wheelchair1986
07-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Now do I think Dolph needed the briefcase to get to the Main Event status? No. But I think putting the briefcase on him was a good move. Ziggler is gold on the mic and in the ring, and it was only a matter of time before he got to the main event level. But giving him the briefcase now can put him at that main event level instead of having to wait until someone else is moved out, because if so they may have missed the boat on Ziggler. Plus with the feud with Del Rio seemingly leading to a Del Rio title reign when would Ziggler ever get his break again? This briefcase now gives Ziggler the next title reign instead of waiting for creative trying to fit him in.

All in all I think Ziggler needed the briefcase to get to the main event spot quicker instead of waiting and potentially missing the opportunity.

I agree completely, I just feel others needed it more, Ziggler was already whc bound after sheamus (thor lol) looses the title. But Ziggler was better than all participants except tyson kidd or sandow. Thank goodness it wasn't tensai!

Rowebin
07-16-2012, 03:49 PM
A few strong main event Teddy Long style tag team matches mixed with pre aranged match against a heel champion could see him in good stead for a face run as champ. No more of this cash in after the other guy is beaten down bullshit. Man up.

imswm
07-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Winning the MIB briefcase is a good ol' lazy-ass way to put someone in the title picture without having to do some horrid chore like, say, Godzilla forbid, come up with a creative reason for a person to be elevated to top contender. _SWM

Cynicism
07-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Does anyone know where I can watch the whole PPV for free?

In the UK it was shown on Sky Sports.............. oh not what you meant? My bad

HeelTurn
07-16-2012, 04:02 PM
Did you hear the reaction he got?

Yeah he deserves it and needs it, he can win the old fashioned cheap way and win match after match to get him across as a legit champ.

That being said the World title is almost IC level now, so anyone could have won it really.

PrimusSucks
07-16-2012, 04:04 PM

I honestly think you need to learn the difference between losing and jobbing. Everytime Dolph has been in a title match, whether it is against Edge, CM Punk, or Sheamus he has (kayfabe) taken his opponent to the limit and barely come up short.

To answer your question, no Dolph doesn't need that briefcase, and in my opinion should have never even won it. Cody Rhodes is a much better fit for Mr. MITB even, Dolph isn't the cowardly heel that Rhodes is and honestly won't benefit from being Mr. MITB at all, at least he won't gain any momentum he couldn't have gained himself.

Castanedaa99
07-16-2012, 07:16 PM
No I dont think he needed to win, and that's not saying I don't want to see him in the main event because I do. I really wanted him to go up the ladder, the way it was done before the MITB, and win it cleanly. The MITB concept has gotten stale for me so I'd like to see the new champs start coming up like they use to. But can't wait to see Ziggler have the belt.

The Brown One
07-17-2012, 01:18 AM
Honestly, he could have won the WHC without it. But it's an extra boost to make him stand out more. The WWE tend to push someone to the moon when giving them title shots, even when it's unnecessary. Tommy is right though, Cody could have really used MITB more. He wasn't doing anything, and his talents were being wasted. At least holding MITB would make him more interesting while he waits to cash in.

bcfccalum
07-17-2012, 07:49 AM
Didn't the Miz get thwarted a bunch when he won Money in the Bank?
and del rio did too didnt he?