PDA

View Full Version : Austin Aries' Flaw

LuckIsForLosers
07-13-2012, 10:46 AM
First of all it is very pleasing to see AA win the world title. He is a top wrestler and very entertaining. However one minor thing that has been bugging me :

Two weeks ago he stopped the fans chanting his name by saying "thank you, I know my name". Last week he did something similar and last night he did the whole "shhhh" thing that heels usually do. Now I don't know if this is to save time. Some may argue it is in line with his arrogant character, though there is a difference between cocky confidence and silencing fans. Some call it good crowd control - but fans are meant to be engaged and most of all be a part of the product. Not prevented from cheering their man. He pretty much violated face rule 101 - when they interrupt your promo with a chant of your name or saying "thank you" etc, you stop, soak it in and appear visibly touched. Not only is shutting them up in bad taste and not good for the face character but it is doing precisely the opposite of what Aries should be doing as a main eventer - preventing fans from being a part of his promo.

This isn't a rant, more annoyance tha a wrestler so close to being the perfect product, so close to being a Punk or Bryan or Jericho, is shooting himself in the foot. Thoughts?

Sniffsquad
07-13-2012, 10:59 AM
I agree with u 100% it ruined his promo for me

MrVoteLibertarian
07-13-2012, 11:00 AM
I think it's part of his gimmick. Reminds me of Punk when he was being an arse and still getting the positive pop.

Amerinaine
07-13-2012, 11:02 AM
It is what makes Austin Aries, Austin Aries. He doesn't rely on fans in the Traditional sense. He rather you cheer him during matches. When we are needed as fans. Not during his promos. Yes, it is a heel thing to do. However, we all are assuming he is a face. Because people cheer for him, this became a normal assumption. However, his character really hasn't changed from heel to face. So, by my count with everything he does, he is a heel we cheer for. Stone Cold Steve Austin also did very heel things. People cheered him. He wasn't really ever a face at all during his career. He was a heel most of it.

Enjoy A Double for what he is. Boo him if you want, but he plays the character he is very well.

drumn4life0789
07-13-2012, 11:03 AM
I think people forget that he never really turned face. When he came to TNA he was a heel and when he one the X title he was heel. He just kind of converted because of fan reaction. But he is still the same
Character. Now more tweener since everyone loves him

MrVoteLibertarian
07-13-2012, 11:03 AM
It is what makes Austin Aries, Austin Aries. He doesn't rely on fans in the Traditional sense. He rather you cheer him during matches. When we are needed as fans. Not during his promos. Yes, it is a heel thing to do. However, we all are assuming he is a face. Because people cheer for him, this became a normal assumption. However, his character really hasn't changed from heel to face. So, by my count with everything he does, he is a heel we cheer for. Stone Cold Steve Austin also did very heel things. People cheered him. He wasn't really ever a face at all during his career. He was a heel most of it.

Enjoy A Double for what he is. Boo him if you want, but he plays the character he is very well.

Agree 10000%.

LuckIsForLosers
07-13-2012, 11:08 AM

A good point and in an era of tweeners and cheering the heel, this is valid. The difference between Punk and Aries - when punk lambasted the fans who cheer him for buying collector's cups without his face on them, he was clearly a heel , the bad guy and was meant to be. AA isn't as much an antihero - just a talented and arrogant wrestler. He was a heel before because he was a coward wo cheated. He is now an honourable character who, as Tenay will never cease to remind us, never backs down. He is now a face, and retains his arrogance, which can be a face trait a la The Rock. In which case shutting up fans who cheer you isn't right. If he is, as you say, neither heel nor face, it still doesn't justify silencing fans - they need to be a part of the promo too. They are witnessing it and should interact with it, whether booing or cheering. But silencing paying fans is never right, particularly when theyre cheering you and MEANT to be cheering you.

tnamaniac
07-13-2012, 11:30 AM
soooo im.....yeah...not sure who else did this but uhhh...I know taz did this at least at the 2010 hardcore justice. Let me ask you this.... If the crowd really wanted to keep chanting, dont you think they would have? I remember aries doing this before when he was a heel...allying with bully. Imo, crowd reaction can also be interaction. His whole shhshhshh thing would have definitely gotten heat if he were a heel but since he is face...or semi face from reading these forums...the crowd listened. In taking the crowd out he brought them in...if that makes sense

Amerinaine
07-13-2012, 12:02 PM
soooo im.....yeah...not sure who else did this but uhhh...I know taz did this at least at the 2010 hardcore justice. Let me ask you this.... If the crowd really wanted to keep chanting, dont you think they would have? I remember aries doing this before when he was a heel...allying with bully. Imo, crowd reaction can also be interaction. His whole shhshhshh thing would have definitely gotten heat if he were a heel but since he is face...or semi face from reading these forums...the crowd listened. In taking the crowd out he brought them in...if that makes sense

This. It turned the crowd into part of the storyline.

Austin Aries, for what it is worth, is still a heel. He just happens to get cheered. He still cheats, he is a trunk grabber. He hits people over the head with Title Belts pretty regularly. Even if the crowd goes nuts for him, he is still, by definition a heel save for the crowd reaction being positive.

Amerinaine
07-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Honestly, the best mic worker right now in TNA isn't A Double, it is Robert Roode. Hands down. The best of any promotion right now is CM Punk. The best ever, Rowdy Roddy Piper.

I know when I watch an A Double segment, it isn't to hear him speak most of the time. It is to watch the man work in the ring. His Greatest Man That Ever Lived gimmick is a pretty good gimmick though, and would fit a light mic work load.

Playboy Stevie V
07-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Honestly, the best mic worker right now in TNA isn't A Double, it is Robert Roode. Hands down. The best of any promotion right now is CM Punk. The best ever, Rowdy Roddy Piper.

I know when I watch an A Double segment, it isn't to hear him speak most of the time. It is to watch the man work in the ring. His Greatest Man That Ever Lived gimmick is a pretty good gimmick though, and would fit a light mic work load.

You got that right. He's one of the best in ring generals I've ever seen.

lewism173
07-13-2012, 12:42 PM
one man out of the whole company making the crowd shhhhh isint bad it's actually quite a good idea yes crowds are ment to chant but stopping them for 5 mins isint a terrible idea it lets them re charge aswell

Brendan
07-13-2012, 12:52 PM
I wasn't sure if I was alone in noticing that and being annoyed by it. There is no doubt that Austin Aries is a babyface because he went from running away from people and sitting in the middle of the ring with Bobby Roode and Bully Ray until they get what they want to not backing down and showing heart. He has has been facing heels a whole lot...

And yes AA is an antihero type babyface, but telling the crowd to be quiet is taking it too far.

LuckIsForLosers
07-13-2012, 01:54 PM
This. It turned the crowd into part of the storyline.

Austin Aries, for what it is worth, is still a heel. He just happens to get cheered. He still cheats, he is a trunk grabber. He hits people over the head with Title Belts pretty regularly. Even if the crowd goes nuts for him, he is still, by definition a heel save for the crowd reaction being positive.

My short term memory isn't fantastic so apologies if I'm wrong...but does he? I don't recall him cheating to win once since the crowd cheered him or grabbing trunks. The title belts have usually been in promos, no? I.E. not to win a match. He may have cheated in one Zema Ion match but that was during , in my eyes, the face/heel transition and also in response to Zema always cheating, in an Eddie G kind of way. The fact that he now "fights" and doesn't backdown and the fact that Tenay keeps reminding us this, obviously on instruction, would indicate that the bookers, not only the crowd, want him to be face. Abrasive, arrogant, cocky face , yes, but face nonetheless.

As the guy above said - having the "it was a great day for a great man" vibe is excellent And distinguishes Aries from say Cenas or Sorrensens or Hardys. But shhhing the crowd seems a bit amateur. I could let the "ok, I know my name" slide as it is arrogant and wit and very Aries, but shhhing them in a patronising tone isn't the way to play your part and when he carried on speaking over them it was as if he had a memorised script that he was just reading out. Improvising to engage and involve the audience, dramatic pauses etc is the way to do this. Rock, Piper, Cena and Punk to name a few all do/did. It is that reaction that makes a promo more real.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not "offended"...I merely find it both odd and ill-practice as both an observer and fan. It is something that I pick on because other than that he's flawless

Lowki
07-13-2012, 02:38 PM
First of all it is very pleasing to see AA win the world title. He is a top wrestler and very entertaining. However one minor thing that has been bugging me :

Two weeks ago he stopped the fans chanting his name by saying "thank you, I know my name". Last week he did something similar and last night he did the whole "shhhh" thing that heels usually do. Now I don't know if this is to save time. Some may argue it is in line with his arrogant character, though there is a difference between cocky confidence and silencing fans. Some call it good crowd control - but fans are meant to be engaged and most of all be a part of the product. Not prevented from cheering their man. He pretty much violated face rule 101 - when they interrupt your promo with a chant of your name or saying "thank you" etc, you stop, soak it in and appear visibly touched. Not only is shutting them up in bad taste and not good for the face character but it is doing precisely the opposite of what Aries should be doing as a main eventer - preventing fans from being a part of his promo.

This isn't a rant, more annoyance tha a wrestler so close to being the perfect product, so close to being a Punk or Bryan or Jericho, is shooting himself in the foot. Thoughts?
I was under the impression that Austin Aries is supposed to be a heel, or a tweener at the very most. He's always been the type of guy to put himself over everything! By silencing the fans he's effectively saying, "This is my moment, not yours. I am speaking so you sit and listen!" Sushing the fans actually includes the audience, and has the opposite effect to what you think it does. What happens when someone tells you to be quiet? 99% of people will do the complete opposite. I think it was a pretty good move for his character and by actually responding to the audience, he is therefore including them. It shows very good awareness and improvisation by reacting to the crowd though. The Miz, The Rock, John Cena, Punk, JBL, Austin, Jericho are all very good at reacting to something on the spot. If you are supposed to be a heel, but the crowd is heavily behind you, i bet it would be extremely easy to get overwhelmed and lose character.

Cabers
07-13-2012, 03:17 PM
The reality of it is that Aries has done this everywhere even when he was a face he had heel tendencies you are just starting to see it now.

imswm
07-13-2012, 04:59 PM
I actually LIKE that he's doing these gestures--as it's far better than the whole fraudulent "Who me? I'm so humbled" Hoganesque response of the typical patronizing babyface. It also makes sense considering his gimmick and the relatively short time-frame since he was perceived as a full-blown heel. Plus, it's not like he's coming out and saying "Would you morons shut up?" or anything overtly heelish.

IMO, to be "insulted" by his demeanor is to be too thin-skinned.

One other thing to bear in mind: His future booking may involve defending against a strong babyface, in which case they most certainly wouldn't want him to be an absolute fan favorite going into the feud.

Dennis
07-13-2012, 06:26 PM

When punk was a tweener (as aries is now) I remember watching a semi memorable shoot promo where he told the fans to shut up... and I watched aries' promo and was kind of glad that he shut them up.. first off it showed that he isn't a true face.. second off the fans were super loud and he wanted to move the show along.

BadAndy
07-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Basically he could be an Eddie Guerrero. Lie, cheat, and steal to win but still get the adoration of the audience. I personally love the fact that he makes the audience cater to him rather than the other way around. I like a little attitude in my champions. He is damn good and he likes to show it off.

As far as best on the mic, Roode is fantastic, as is AA and Bully Ray. I feel TNA has some great mic workers but some terrible scripts. These guys make it work with what they have.

The Brown One
07-13-2012, 09:25 PM
To answer the OP: You're comparing Aries to others. Aries doesn't have to be like the others to be successful. Hes got his own character, and that's one the reasons people love him. So what if he tells the fans to settle down? Half of them were annoying rednecks who don't shutup when they need to anyway. It's not a negative thing, it's just part of his gimmick, and I enjoy it.

ObscureRessurection
07-13-2012, 11:05 PM
I haven't really read what anyone else has written (yet) but I think it gets ready loud in tight spaces like that. When Austin Aries was talking I could barely understand him. It wasn't until the crowd shut their mouths that I truly understood him. That particular crowd was pretty rowdy. I bet somewhere in the world even Piper was drawing an uncontrollable curl to his lips.

Dennis
07-14-2012, 12:48 AM
I haven't really read what anyone else has written (yet) but I think it gets ready loud in tight spaces like that. When Austin Aries was talking I could barely understand him. It wasn't until the crowd shut their mouths that I truly understood him. That particular crowd was pretty rowdy. I bet somewhere in the world even Piper was drawing an uncontrollable curl to his lips.
I agree.. plus they only have a certain time to do the show in.. so what are they suppose to do just waste the viewers time with 2 hours of fan chants hahah for one promo?

Sahu
07-14-2012, 02:30 AM

I agree with this. That's what his character is..he's not officially a face n he never had that turn also..he just transformed as a face with out much buzz...so he's still a heel...or may be a tweener...

Sahu
07-14-2012, 02:31 AM
To answer the OP: You're comparing Aries to others. Aries doesn't have to be like the others to be successful. Hes got his own character, and that's one the reasons people love him. So what if he tells the fans to settle down? Half of them were annoying rednecks who don't shutup when they need to anyway. It's not a negative thing, it's just part of his gimmick, and I enjoy it.

True...that is why we all love him!!!

Darkside Ron Garvin
07-14-2012, 08:34 AM
Aries character, heel or face, is entertaining. I enjoy hearing what he has to say (loved the recognition of the Punk tweet) and I found it hard to hear what he was saying when the fans were giving a genuine pop. I do not hate Aries for bringing the crowd noise down a notch and I don't think it hurt the promo at all. The crowd was still into it and louder than what normal Impact Zone crowds are even after being hushed. I'm sorry if you feel it "took away" from his promo, but re-watch it and tell me if you still feel the same way. I say this only because I know what you are trying to get at, but after re-watching Impact last night, I don't think it came across as a "heel" move; rather it came across as "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived is speaking right now guys... Listen to what he has to say" which is brilliant for his character.

To the Aries "face turn" I can only think of 2 events that could be considered this. (1) The program with Bully Ray which was meant to get the reaction more geared to Bully being the "mega-heel" he has become, not to make Aries a true face. It helped to seal the never back down attitude, but wasn't a character turn. (2) The fist bump to Joe after Slammiversary, which was also geared towards his opponent, not his character. It helped put Joe back on track for the "tweener" he can play very well and I honestly saw it more as an "Honor" recognition rather than anything involved in character turning. Maybe I am wrong, but I can't think of any other situation in which Aries would be considered having turned face... Remember, his "I AM the main event" promo was cut as a heel, even though the crowd gave him the credit of speaking the truth.

TBO - As for the "rednecks" in the FLORIDA crowd needing to be silenced... Florida might be in the South, but it is FAR from considered "redneck" country... Especially when considering that they were in the Impact Zone which is a tourist attraction filled with a giant demographic of people. Had they been in Arkansas, Alabama, Texas (remember, this is my home state and even I know there are stereotypical "rednecks" here), New Mexico, Oklahoma, etc...Your comment would have value, but making that generalized statement toward a diverse crowd makes your comments seem of less value than what they could have been. Not trying to jump on someone’s case, but that comment was not needed when trying to make your point. Just like some feel that "Shh"ing the crowd took away from Aries' promo, this comment took away from the point you were trying to make IMO.

DRG

The Brown One
07-14-2012, 08:40 AM
^^^^Thanks for the explanation. My apologies if it was offensive. I didn't know there were actual specific locations for rednecks lol.

Darkside Ron Garvin
07-14-2012, 10:28 AM
^^^^Thanks for the explanation. My apologies if it was offensive. I didn't know there were actual specific locations for rednecks lol.

No worries, I actually take pride in the redneck term. It was coined towards those hard working people who have sun burned necks from working their asses off out in the field. I don't find that term to be a negative. However, since the Foxworthy work, Redneck has been given the negative light of being "inbred" instead of what it was originally. I guess it's all about your personality and how you take it...

And yes, there are specific locations for specific terms. Just like Yankees are those in the north. I am sure, being from New Zealand, you experience the location generalizations yourself. I have many Aussie friends via the net. Some have specific terms for those in New Zealand. It's just a part of life I guess.

BadAndy
07-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Technically there are rednecks in Florida. Redneck is a name given to people who lived a simpler way of life and worked outside under the sun, burning their neck in the process. They tended to like to celebrate at nights. Lots of sun, big trucks, bonfires, alcohol, etc. It's been given a very negative connotation because so many of them come from the South and Middle America that those on the East Coast (mostly) and West Coast (there are some rednecks in California) think they are the be all, end all of the USA. They feel they can cast their views on the rest of this country. Unfortunately now, simpletons that have an twangy accent are considered rednecks. Just clarifying. And by the way, I'll take a redneck any day over a Jersey person and their attitude.

Lucas Chapel
07-14-2012, 05:56 PM
AA is the ultimate tweener.

Amerinaine
07-14-2012, 11:01 PM
There seems to be some confusion on what a tweener is.

Tweener a morally ambiguous wrestler, neither a babyface (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Face_%28professional_wrestling%29) nor heel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heel_%28professional_wrestling%29) (an inbetweener).

Darkside Ron Garvin
07-15-2012, 07:32 AM
There seems to be some confusion on what a tweener is.

Tweener a morally ambiguous wrestler, neither a babyface (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Face_%28professional_wrestling%29) nor heel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heel_%28professional_wrestling%29) (an inbetweener).

Agreed, but do you base the fact off of the "actions" of said wrestler or off the "reaction" of the crowd? Austin wasn't always cheating to win matches, so would you consider him a face based on his crowd reaction and charisma? Or Heel based on the promos?

The Freebirds were obviously heel with thier tactics, but they were cheered by the crowd... Does that make them tweeners because the crowd was behind them, even though they were strict heels?

Amerinaine
07-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Agreed, but do you base the fact off of the "actions" of said wrestler or off the "reaction" of the crowd? Austin wasn't always cheating to win matches, so would you consider him a face based on his crowd reaction and charisma? Or Heel based on the promos?

The Freebirds were obviously heel with thier tactics, but they were cheered by the crowd... Does that make them tweeners because the crowd was behind them, even though they were strict heels?

He will do anything. IF he can win cleanly. Fine. If he has to be underhanded. Fine. That is a tweener. He just happens to get cheered.