PDA

View Full Version : Austin Aries Promo

Dr. Death
07-13-2012, 07:04 AM
Last night on Impact Austin Aries gave quite the promo, and there were a couple or more things that caught my attention during it. The first thing was:

* Aries recognizing the acclamation's from the WWE Champ CM Punk, among others, congratulating him on his victory.

The second was:

* His ability to control the crowd.

The third was:

* His proclamation that with him winning the TNA Heavyweight Championship, it's time for the next pro wrestling boom.

The fourth was:

* His statement that the TNA World Championship is now the most prestigious championship in any promotion around the world.

(I won't get into the whole Bobby Roode can't speak a sentence thing. :rolleyes:)

My question is - Is Aries right?

Personally I don't pay too much attention to promo's in TNA because much like WWE they tend to get corny now and then. However Aries really got me to pay attention and WANT to hear more. As far as his promo goes last night, here is my assessment of the four things that stood out for me;

1. Aries's recognition of the WWE's acclamations: Although he did not actually say the "WWE" by name, I felt that his mentioning of the "other" promotion's champ congratulating him was decent in two ways; First: Basically he was saying thanks for recognizing his feats in TNA, and Second:He was able to use it to his and TNA's advantage by showing that "The Other Promotion" recognized TNA's World Championship.

2. Aries's ability to control the crowd: With this statement I don't mean just to make them cheer or boo, nor do I mean the ability to hush them up in order to deliver the promo, It was more an accumulation of all three that stood out to me. While others have done this before him, it was very evident that Aries came across as this generations "Rock" as far as promos and crowd control goes. This begs the question; Is Aries the start of the next "Attitude Era" in pro wrestling?

3. Aries's proclamation that it's time for the next pro wrestling "Boom": I believe Aries hit the nail on the head when he stated that the pro wrestling industry comes and goes in phases, ups and downs. His admitting that we have been in a down slump for pro wrestling industry as a whole was needed so that it would make sense for him to state that the industry and we as fans are ready for the next "Boom" period. Is Aries the one to lead us into this period? Only time will tell, but after his promo last night I'd say hell yeah.

4. Aries's proclamation that the TNA World Heavyweight Championship is the most prestigious championship in the pro wrestling industry: Is he right? Has TNA surpassed the WWE as far as Title Prestige goes? I'm not so sure of that, but his announcement was well placed and at a time when the WWE has lost focus of the importance of their Titles. Maybe by making this statement, TNA will force the 'E to take a hard look at what they are doing with their belts, and either re-focus or lose viewers.? I don't know, but Aries seemed like he's making a stand for himself and for TNA. I say well done and keep it up. Some true competition is what the pro wrestling industry needs.

Well, that's my assessment of things; what's yours? Is Aries right?, Is he wrong? Please leave your feedback and list why you think or feel the way you do about Aries and the current prestige of the belts. Keep it clean so as to have a friendly discussion thank you.

monctonvike
07-13-2012, 07:20 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^ 100% agree. That Promo was beginning to be epic. I was upset for real, when Roode ruined it. I know that is what they are trying to do, but it worked. well done

MachoManFan
07-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Aries promo was great. I'm not sure I agree his holding of the title will usher in a new boom period for wrestling though. Aries has a great ability to cut promos that are slightly kayfabe breaking / break the fourth wall which has always made me like his mic work. His promo at No Surrender acknowledged fans who stream PPV's, and insulted them, which no-one else does.

As for whether the TNA title is now the most prestigious title in wrestling, I'd say it's pretty close. The WWE title is tainted, in my opinion, by the fact it is still the spinner belt and always synonomus John Cena. Despite CM Punk's length run with it I feel the WWE title changes hands too easily and under too frequently gimmicky circumstances. The WHC has more prestige in WWE at the moment. More often it is 'genuinely' fought for and earned and held by fewer cartoony wrestlers. The TNA title has developed a similar status thanks to Roode's record reign and the BFG series. It obviously has it's own shameful history but TNA has worked hard to erase those moments from memory.
The ROH title is not well known enough to be a contender. So, if I were to rank the titles in order of prestige I'd say WHC, TNA (just), WWE, IC, US, ROH, any other secondary belts.

Interestingly this could be a thread of it's own (watch this space). Back on topic, I'm pleased A Double is TNA champ and for what it's worth I thought Roode being unable to speak was quite funny.

Mr. Ziggles
07-13-2012, 08:29 AM
It's going to be the summer of Aires.

Sahu
07-13-2012, 08:33 AM
when the immortal bull shit started..I stopped watching TNA..later I read many things abt AA in this forum..n then started watching him...by GOD...he's simply awesome...his matches r quality..n promos r damn quality..

he's the one who made me glue to TNA..I for one has not seen the promo...next Tuesday I'll have relay in India..so I'll watch it.....

By what ever has been summed up here I can say following..

1. His recognition of acclamations is to thank his freinds and also letting the world know that he's appreciated by champs all round...thus, making his victory as one of the historic ones..

2. New BOOM...I guess he already told it somewhere...He, Punk, DB being champs is in itself a new era..a new era where fans n promotions have broken the size barrier and recognising the REAL TALENT...n with real talent in the main event of TNA..(AA, RR, JS, SJ, AJ, Kurt) TNA's main event seems to be great n if handled correctly....it can really create a new wave..let us hope that AA becomes the medium of the new BOOM...a much needed BOOM...

3. I always love AA..heel/face/tweener...he controls the crowd in a way that very few can do like him....its not always abt cheers or boos..its abt involvement..n he involves everyone n allows everyone to absorb the story.. that's something EPIC...n currently no one in E or TNA can do like him...(excluding Jericho though)...may be Punk can come a distant second to AA...

4. When he said he's THE CREDIBLE WORLD CHAMPION...he's re-ascertaining his gimmick of The Gr8est Man That Ever Lived....n also...he's trying to make ppl feel that TNA world heavy weight championship is THE CREDIBLE CHAMPIONSHIP thus, bringing more credibility to his promotions...now for various reasons..TNA is not having more fans...so ratings will not increase..but, what they should do is to retain their loyal fans..n AA is giving a reason for the loyalists to be remain loyal...n one more personal feeling...after BMI n MCMG's rivalry is over...TNA had a back stage taped interview...after seeing that rivalry and the reaction of MCMG after winning teh tag championships n when they said in that taped interview...for tag team action there is only one place that is TNA n we are proud to conquer that division in TNA thus, conquered the division altogether....I felt true...n TNA Tag titles r the most prestigious ones...MCMG can't talk live much...so the have gone for taped interview...but, AA can do it live n better than any one in this damn world...so they allowed him to tell it...

Really I would love to see this promo...

Sahu
07-13-2012, 08:34 AM
It's going to be the summer of Aires.

Hopefully!!!

Playboy Stevie V
07-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Don't beat me up too much and don't get me wrong I like AA. But what I'm about to say might irritate some, especially since I'm gonna talk about yesteryear.

My buddy and I were watching Impact last night and we were really interested to see what direction TNA was going in with AA as Champ. We watched his promo. My buddy wasn't impressed with his mic skills at all. I thought he was decent in comparison to stars nowadays, which are subpar IMO compared to our glory years of Jessie Ventura, Jimmy Valiant, Bobby Heenan, Jimmy Hart, Slick, Freddy Blassie, Billy Graham, Hulk, Savage, Piper, Flair, Austin, Rock, Y2J, Michael Hayes, Iceman King Parsons...etc etc.

Sorry, we weren't impressed and in awe like some posts I've been reading in other forums. I love AA and I think he has one of the best mic skills in TNA, but that's not saying much for the industries mic workers as a whole right now. I mean look at it this way, The Iron Shiek could out mic in his day or today IMO a majority of wrestlers of today and English is his second language..LOL

I'm not trying to take anything away from AA. It's just surprising that a lot of fans are star struck by his promo. Maybe it's just me showing my age and being spoiled because I've witnessed the best mic workers ever back in my days week end and week out. Or some are just really easy to impress or haven't witnessed some old promos.

*duck and covering*

LuckIsForLosers
07-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Don't beat me up too much and don't get me wrong I like AA. But what I'm about to say might irritate some, especially since I'm gonna talk about yesteryear.

My buddy and I were watching Impact last night and we were really interested to see what direction TNA was going in with AA as Champ. We watched his promo. My buddy wasn't impressed with his mic skills at all. I thought he was decent in comparison to stars nowadays, which are subpar IMO compared to our glory years of Jessie Ventura, Jimmy Valiant, Bobby Heenan, Jimmy Hart, Slick, Freddy Blassie, Billy Graham, Hulk, Savage, Piper, Flair, Austin, Rock, Y2J, Michael Hayes, Iceman King Parsons...etc etc.

Sorry, we weren't impressed and in awe like some posts I've been reading in other forums. I love AA and I think he has one of the best mic skills in TNA, but that's not saying much for the industries mic workers as a whole right now. I mean look at it this way, The Iron Shiek could out mic in his day or today IMO a majority of wrestlers of today and English is his second language..LOL

I'm not trying to take anything away from AA. It's just surprising that a lot of fans are star struck by his promo. Maybe it's just me showing my age and being spoiled because I've witnessed the best mic workers ever back in my days week end and week out. Or some are just really easy to impress or haven't witnessed some old promos.

*duck and covering*

Nice double post :rolleyes:....but I agree to a short extent. He's stellar in the ring and has good mic skills. Though I think his promo delivery, interaction with the fans and mic skills need polishing before they can go from good/v good like Ziggler's for example, to Punk or Jericho level.

Playboy Stevie V
07-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Nice double post :rolleyes:....but I agree to a short extent. He's stellar in the ring and has good mic skills. Though I think his promo delivery, interaction with the fans and mic skills need polishing before they can go from good/v good like Ziggler's for example, to Punk or Jericho level.

Yeah...Damn it my computer for some reason was wiggin out. Not only did it double post on 2 different forums, because I thought it didn't post the first time and the 2 AA forums right next to each other, confused the old dog. LOL

I also somehow blogged the response at first too...LOL

Cocaine's a hella of a drug!

Cabers
07-13-2012, 02:59 PM
I am still smiling when i see him with that title i guy that really deserves i have watched go for from ROH to the indies to NWA Hollywood and now TNA and he has just been incredible everytime.

pgarcia79
07-14-2012, 02:35 AM
First off, I wanna say that Austin Aries, in an incredible talent. No doubt about that. And he definitely deserves that accomplishment of winning the tna title. But IMPO, I only agree with 50% of what he said.

As far as the "other" promotion's acclamation of his accomplishment goes, yes CM Punk did recongnize it, but not the WWE. Punk even stated at comic con this week that he didn't even see the match (who knows, might have been working that night). And yes Aries did very well working that to their advantage.

AA can definitely control the crowd. There's really no argument that can be made there. Now is he the start of the next attitude era? Unless it's a PG-attitude era, NO.

I agree with AA that it's time for a new boom period. Do I think it's gonna happen? No. Not when TNA is making decisions that don't even create a "boom period" in it's own company. Not to mention this whole direct tv situation just crippled their viewership ratings even more each week. If TNA can't create competion for WWE, where's the "boom" gonna come from?

Is the TNA World Heavyweight Championship is the most prestigious championship in the pro wrestling industry? ..... ..... ..... In my opinion, NO. Nothing againt the TNA belt, but no it's not. The most prestigious championship belt in professional wrestling is the WWE Championship. Despite how it looks, or how it has been changed and tailored for specific champions over the years, it's prestige and accomplishment carries more weight. It's lingeage is greater. It's history is deeper. It has been worn by countless former champions and legends. When a wrestler can say he carries the #1 rated championship belt for the largest and most successful wrestling promotion on the planet, THEN he can say he carries the most prestigious championship belt in the professional wrestling industry.

Darkside Ron Garvin
07-14-2012, 10:04 AM
Dr. Death, you are my new best friend. The thoughts you put in this forum were my EXACT thoughts after that interview. I give Kudos to you good sir for having such a solid mind. Being able to see things in this industry for what they are when they happen is a sign of a true fan, which obviously you truly are. I know many won’t agree with the thoughts expressed, but everyone is entitled to their opinion and I give everyone a chance to make their points known... I just love it when my opinions co-inside with others in the wrestling industry. As for your points;

1. By Aries recognizing Punks tweets (regardless if Punk watched it or not, he shouldn’t be able to admit to watching it. For the Champion of WWE to watch TNA admittedly is not something that could be viewed in a positive light to me. With the lawsuits, the direct stabs, everything involved with WWE vs. TNA the champion of WWE should not be seen as giving TNA props. That would be like SCSA saying that he watches Nitro every week because he enjoys the show and Goldbergs work. By Punk tweeting to Aries, just like when Colt won the NWA HW Title, it was a credit given to AA, not to TNA but TNA has brilliantly twisted that to their advantage) he put the wrestling industry on notice. For every bit of work he has put into the business, he got recognition from all aspects of the business. From the entertainment world (Hollywood), to the sports world (NFL), to the wrestling industry (Punk), every aspect of this industry has given him the credit that he earned. This puts over, not only Aries for workings for everything he has been given, but also TNA for giving him the opportunity that he has worked so hard to get.

2. Aries had the crowd in his hand that fact is for certain. Even after hushing the crowd, he still had a true general reaction from the entire building. He was able to keep the attention of everyone in the building and virtually everyone watching live was listening with ears wide open. The ability to make fans hang on his word, and his ability to suspend the reality that “wrestling is fake,” is what makes him stand out from most. As great of a performer as Styles is, he doesn’t command the mic the way Aries does. As good as his promo skills are, Punk and his in ring is hindered when the competition in ring isn’t what it should be for the "Best in the World" (excluding the Danielson program. Yes I know I am not taking the Y2J program into account, but that is because the program was geared more towards story, not the matches.) Aries, much like Hart, is able to make whomever he wrestles with look that much better... And for him to have the ability to control the crowd the way he does makes him that much better.

3. I don’t think Aries is the start of the next “attitude era” as much as I think he is the start of the industry putting their faith into the next generation. This is what could certainly start us on track for another “boom” period. I think this has the ability to kick off a great deal of creative changes to the industry as a whole. Much like when the attitude broke away from the traditional aspects of how the industry was ran, this is TNA’s (more importantly, the younger athletes just like Austin in the 90s) chance to garner a bit of creative control (not full control) to characters that could bring about move evolution into a better direction than what wrestling has been going in. This could result in a boom period for the industry.

4. I am sorry for all who quote “lineage” as the direct result of what gives titles prestige. I am not going to argue. The depth of what WWE has behind their “championship” is truly there, when incorporating the WWWF, WWF, and WWE. However, the “E Universe” has evolved away from the wrestling lineage that they have. If they are able to take the wrestling out of their product, why do I have to acknowledge the wrestlers that held their championship in a time that they were actually about wrestling? They would rather you remember the “superstars” that held their belt, which is what is damaging part of their legacy for that specific belt. From the short title reigns (Cena has the most championship reigns in the company and he has been there for how long?), to the watering down of how much value the belt should have (if the championship is supposed to be the most prestigious of acclimates, why then is it not the main event of EVERY pay per view?) TNA has made that belt as the prize everyone in the company wants. Regardless of its history, TNA is making it the most sought after title in their company, and in my opinion that makes it the most prestigious belt at the moment, even more so than WWE Belt. Which is more important; to win the NBA Highest Scoring Player award or to win the NBA Championship? You are playing to win the championship because it is the most sought after prize. The Highest Scorer is a title to add to your resume, or better yet just a prop to help you sell yourself. To me, the WWE Belts are now nothing more than props because of how the E has treated the belts in their company. To me, in the "E Universe", being in the Main Event is more important that the WWE Championship. WWE has the depth in the history of the company as well as true talent to have held the belt, so they very well could take that proclamation back, but right now I believe Aries was speaking the truth in what he said.

These are just my opinions. I love the fact that Aries said what was stated, and I do not feel that he was wrong in any aspect of it.

DRG

Sahu
07-14-2012, 10:46 PM
RON..a gr8 post mate..I enjoyed it thoroughly!!!