PDA

View Full Version : Directv vs Viacom

Playboy Stevie V
07-12-2012, 12:06 PM
So unfortunately I have Directv and since they are in a b*tch fight with Viacom, Viacom pulled Spike TV. So of course after a monumental exciting Destination X, I can't watch Impact tonight *arms folded frown*

So can anyone help us, with Directv, out and tell us if there is a place we can live stream Impact?

The Phantom Menace
07-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Dude, I've got DirectTv too! Sucks big time but I've paid the same amount on my bill(except when I order PPV's) for ten years. Just gonna have to miss the next few Impacts. You can always watch bits & pieces on YouTube.

Ruthless_Aggression
07-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Well Viacom is now trying to take down its channels' shows off the internet so we'll see. From what I've gathered, it seems that Viacom is more at fault over this for demanding a 30% pay increase for all its shows. Doesn't help that on their show banners they say "We are only asking for just pennies a day" which is rather incriminating even though they try to sugarcoat it.

CM Rock-Austin
07-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Well I have DirecTV too and it kinda sucks right now lol. I can't watch Comedy Central or Nick but hopefully I can still watch Impact somewhere online.

Playboy Stevie V
07-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Just found a site (potentially) to watch Impact starting at 5pm pacific time. Don't wanna violate any rules by posting it here, but if you wanna inbox me I can try to hook you up.

Ruthless_Aggression
07-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Yeah, bummed I lost comedy central (Bye Tosh, bye Stewart, bye Colbert...) Won't miss any of the MTV channels and hopefully those fans will one day realize losing it was a blessing in disguise. Lord knows, I ain't paying 30% more for them...

Destruction
07-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Can a clueless Brit ask what's the problem Yanks are having about watching TNA

Bodom
07-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Can a clueless Brit ask what's the problem Yanks are having about watching TNA

Viacom wanted more money from DirecTV.

DirecTV said no, so they dropped all Viacom channels.

Viacom owns Spike. Thus resulting in Directv subscribers losing that channel.

Destruction
07-12-2012, 01:56 PM

Ah. Pretty crap then :/

akbar
07-12-2012, 01:58 PM
So unfortunately I have Directv and since they are in a b*tch fight with Viacom, Viacom pulled Spike TV. So of course after a monumental exciting Destination X, I can't watch Impact tonight *arms folded frown*

So can anyone help us, with Directv, out and tell us if there is a place we can live stream Impact?
Did I read something about also not been able to watch TV shows like Mad Men and stuff.

Again another clueless Brit.

Ruthless_Aggression
07-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Did I read something about also not been able to watch TV shows like Mad Men and stuff.

The Channels lost were like Spike, Comedy Central, all Nick channels, all MTV channels, CMT, TV Land, and that's all I can remember...

Cabers
07-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Silly people the are streams of every show on the internet especially at www.*********.fella (http://www.*********.fella) haha ok but seriously they are there you might have to wait a couple of hours but you can see it without adds :cool:. #fuckadvertisements

07-12-2012, 02:18 PM
wow that sucks. I read that they pulled like 20 popular channels, that isn't going to do well for ratings. Stop being so greedy Viacom >:/ but anyway, try desi-rulez(dot)net

Playboy Stevie V
07-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Silly people the are streams of every show on the internet especially at www.*********.fella (http://www.*********.fella) haha ok but seriously they are there you might have to wait a couple of hours but you can see it without adds :cool:. #fuckadvertisements

Thank god for the internet! Makes me wonder why I have Directv at all.

Xpacfan
07-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Well Viacom is now trying to take down its channels' shows off the internet so we'll see. From what I've gathered, it seems that Viacom is more at fault over this for demanding a 30% pay increase for all its shows. Doesn't help that on their show banners they say "We are only asking for just pennies a day" which is rather incriminating even though they try to sugarcoat it.

Ok, so here my question about this bit of information that I keep hearing:

Why is this only effecting DirecTV? Why am I paying less for Verizon FIOS and not having my channels taken away due to the same issue? Evidently Verizon and everyone else can afford to pay Viacom's "ridiculously high" fee without raising the rates of their channel packages. DirecTV is the world's largest satelite tv provider but yet is either the only one being asked by Viacom for this increase or refuses to pay it. According to Viacom, DirecTV has actually been paying less than what other cable providers have been paying for the channels.

I'm kind of leary of DirecTV being at fault here due to my prior experience as a customer. Two years ago, for no good reason, they discontinued carrying G4 (one of my favorite channels). Their reasoning was "Because it didn't provide the quality of programming that meets DirecTV's standards"...or something along that lines. This was strike 1 and 2 for me. When all of my promotions ended and I saw that it was over a $100 cheaper just to bundle cable with Verizon, I cancelled and didn't look back. Who wants to pay all that money and then not even be able to watch what you want to?

KJ PUNK
07-12-2012, 02:40 PM
This thing has been blown waaay outta proportion, especially since you can download those same shows, literally, 5 minutes after they air off the Internet.

I've NEVER had a problem with DirecTV and the only channel that they're dropping that I'll miss is Comedy Central.

Xpacfan
07-12-2012, 02:48 PM
This thing has been blown waaay outta proportion, especially since you can download those same shows, literally, 5 minutes after they air off the Internet.

I've NEVER had a problem with DirecTV and the only channel that they're dropping that I'll miss is Comedy Central.

When you pay for a service and get less than what you're paying for then it is a big deal. Especially since DirecTV hasn't offered 26 channel's worth of discounts to its paying customers.

Amerinaine
07-12-2012, 03:08 PM
I have local cable. I'm good. I never liked DirecTV. Dish was the way to go when I needed TV.

MachoManFan
07-12-2012, 03:12 PM
This is a bit like when Virgin dropped all the Sky channels when they first bought NTL out over here. If I had DirectTV I'd be pissed off. I do have a magical place that streams all the sport one could ever need so, assuming their providers don't have DirectTV, Impact will be streamed there later. Inbox me anyone who is desperate to see it live or just wait until tomorrow morning and download the inevitable torrents from the usual places.

BoltZ22
07-12-2012, 03:27 PM

Actually Viacom forced DirecTV to remove their channels. DirecTV wanted to keep them up while negotiations continue. Its a negotiation tactic. They're both companies look for the best return of profit. These issues come up all the time.

Thats Dish Network. They lost AMC a week or so back. Same deal. Negotiation time.

Xpacfan
07-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Actually Viacom forced DirecTV to remove their channels. DirecTV wanted to keep them up while negotiations continue. Its a negotiation tactic. They're both companies look for the best return of profit. These issues come up all the time.

Thats Dish Network. They lost AMC a week or so back. Same deal. Negotiation time.

Customers losing 26 channels at one time...that doesn't just "come up all the time"

A provider losing a channel that carries one of the top rated shows on tv at the moment....that doesn't just "come up all the time"

Playboy Stevie V
07-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Customers losing 26 channels at one time...that doesn't just "come up all the time"

A provider losing a channel that carries one of the top rated shows on tv at the moment....that doesn't just "come up all the time"

Yeah right now I'm just trying to see where I can watch Impact. I'm pretty set now. Thanks guys!

In the big scheme of things with just the situation all together, I'm pretty pissed. I signed a contract and in that contract Directv is suppose to provide me with the channels at our agreed set price, I've had to do without for 2 days now. Regardless whose fault it is, the consumer should NOT suffer.

Either they will need to give me a HUGE discount or let me walk from my contract, since they breached it.

The longer I wait, the more i'm realizing that I can watch whatever I want online anyways. So for both Viacom and Directv sake they better fix this quick without screwing us over, or continuing too because I bet I'm not the only one who is starting to realize that I do not need to pay for either of these companies services.

ToiletBowl
07-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Both companies are at fault. Viacom wants a larger chunk of what DirecTV is charging their customers. They aren't unreasonable with other TV outlets like AT&T, Time Warner, Comcast, Verizon, etc. If DirecTV lowered their rates to customers, Viacom would likely come down on their demands. I remember when this happened with all CBS stations back in 2004 & DishNetwork.

Xpacfan
07-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Yeah but even that was just 10 channels...not 20+.

ToiletBowl
07-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Very true... both companies will spin it their way. DirecTV calling Viacom money hungry bullies while Viacom claims DirecTV is taking advantage of it's subscribers. I made the switch from DirecTV then Dish to AT&T Uverse. Love Uverse...

Xpacfan
07-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Very true... both companies will spin it their way. DirecTV calling Viacom money hungry bullies while Viacom claims DirecTV is taking advantage of it's subscribers. I made the switch from DirecTV then Dish to AT&T Uverse. Love Uverse...

Yeah I have Verizon FIOS now myself. I'm not a fan of their customer service or billing approaches but they are better than DirecTV.

Haruko Haruhara
07-12-2012, 07:57 PM

I love how they blame direct TV for it. They are a company that needs to make money, not pay out more. Its like a welfare person asking the government for more money and then people blaming the government for pulling the service.

bearkg88
07-12-2012, 08:11 PM
I think the word was like 20 million people with DTV lost Spike TV. Im interested to see what Impacts ratings will be. If a huge chunk is gone, well, obviously those viewers are from DTV

HCollins-TNA1
07-13-2012, 11:01 PM
Ok, so here my question about this bit of information that I keep hearing:

Why is this only effecting DirecTV? Why am I paying less for Verizon FIOS and not having my channels taken away due to the same issue? Evidently Verizon and everyone else can afford to pay Viacom's "ridiculously high" fee without raising the rates of their channel packages. DirecTV is the world's largest satelite tv provider but yet is either the only one being asked by Viacom for this increase or refuses to pay it. According to Viacom, DirecTV has actually been paying less than what other cable providers have been paying for the channels.

I'm kind of leary of DirecTV being at fault here due to my prior experience as a customer. Two years ago, for no good reason, they discontinued carrying G4 (one of my favorite channels). Their reasoning was "Because it didn't provide the quality of programming that meets DirecTV's standards"...or something along that lines. This was strike 1 and 2 for me. When all of my promotions ended and I saw that it was over a $100 cheaper just to bundle cable with Verizon, I cancelled and didn't look back. Who wants to pay all that money and then not even be able to watch what you want to?

Yeah this isn't the 1st time that Direct-TV blacked-out channels due to money with other networks... On Headline News they said a few years back the Time Warner networks had the same thing... I say both sides is at fault one is greedy asking for more but is kind is right, they make up half of cable or satellite TV... The other is overpriced and loves the customers money...

HCollins-TNA1
07-13-2012, 11:02 PM
I think the word was like 20 million people with DTV lost Spike TV. Im interested to see what Impacts ratings will be. If a huge chunk is gone, well, obviously those viewers are from DTV
Yeap 1/4 of their rating ouch.....