PDA

View Full Version : Bob Backlund

bearkg88
07-10-2012, 11:02 PM
Ok so I wrote a blog discussing Raw, and I made a comment saying I don't think Backlund was the best choice to bring back this week. One of the readers proceeded to call me an idiot, and so on. Well, I thought I'd ask the rest of the internet community. To me, Backlund wasn't received with a big pop, didn't seem in shape, and the segment with Slater just seemed dreadful. Yes he is a legend and one of the greats, but was he really one of the best choices to bring back? Were you excited to see Backlund back in the ring?

Dameduse823
07-10-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm not entirely sure a large part of the audience in the arena knew who he was. You heard the ones who did, you saw them get excited but for those who don't know him all they saw was a fairly old man acting like an idiot and then taking down Slater with a move they probably never saw before.

Personally I was happy to see him there because I know his history and know how truly talented he is, but I hate that they had him acting like some confused old man, that seemed pointless to me even if it was his gimmick years ago.

Amerinaine
07-10-2012, 11:12 PM
I wasn't exited to see him in a wrestling role. I would have been fine is he said some stuff, but wrestling. No, not really. Yes, he has one hell of a history. His matches back in the day were historic. The fact he wouldn't drop the belt to Hogan, gives him mad props from me. But no, given the role, I wasn't exited.

Wrestling Realist
07-10-2012, 11:46 PM
yeah he only squashed Slater so no big deal, he in ok shape for a 62 year old but they should did a "who crazier bit" Bob or AJ this past raw

masakaritko
07-11-2012, 12:20 AM
i just find it lame that they have slater lose a match then say he can beat anybody, after he literally just proved to himself and the world that he can't even beat a guy way smaller than him. Then cue Backlund and not much but a single cross-face chicken wing. At least last week he beat doink then had a reason to talk some smack about winning before DDP came out and hit a diamond cutter.

masakaritko
07-11-2012, 12:21 AM
yeah he only squashed Slater so no big deal, he in ok shape for a 62 year old but they should did a "who crazier bit" Bob or AJ this past raw
yes, a backstage bit with AJ would have probably been epic.

Double Axehandle
07-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Ok so I wrote a blog discussing Raw, and I made a comment saying I don't think Backlund was the best choice to bring back this week. One of the readers proceeded to call me an idiot, and so on. Well, I thought I'd ask the rest of the internet community. To me, Backlund wasn't received with a big pop, didn't seem in shape, and the segment with Slater just seemed dreadful. Yes he is a legend and one of the greats, but was he really one of the best choices to bring back? Were you excited to see Backlund back in the ring?

For those of us that remember his 90s run I was indifferent to his return but as far as his worth he is thus far the biggest legend to return. He might not be the popular choice like DDP or the immobile Sid but backlund is a wrestling legend.

Im guessing the 88 in your name is not an arbitrary number and that's the year of your birth which would put someone born in that year approximately at 6 years old the last time we saw bob. No wonder you aren't giving him more praise.

Rick BoA
07-11-2012, 01:12 AM
I thought he looked great! He still looks young in the face, and while his body has turned a little flabby he still looks amazing!

I dont know if he could have done it but if they gave him a real match similar to Vaders I would have marked out big time.

SoloGraphix
07-11-2012, 09:08 AM
I had stated in the comments during the raw live PBP that I couldn't wait to see a crossface chicken wing, and I was not dissapointed.

Kenny Kaos
07-11-2012, 11:14 AM
To me, Backlund wasn't received with a big pop, didn't seem in shape, and the segment with Slater just seemed dreadful.

Really??? Really?!? REALLY?!?!?!?!? I would give ANYTHING to look like Bob Backlund in my 60's.

Tommy Thunder
07-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Really??? Really?!? REALLY?!?!?!?!? I would give ANYTHING to look like Bob Backlund in my 60's.

I was going to say the same thing!
When I saw that there was a poll on this Baucklund thread, I thought it was a poll to guess his age or something! The man didn't look a day older than 20 lol!

PSOjedi
07-11-2012, 11:46 AM
I answered NO !

Pumpkinhead
07-11-2012, 12:48 PM
I was excited to see Bob Blacklund on Raw, The problem is for a company that states in their Did you know facts: Did you know Raw started airing even before Justin Bieber was Born??, shows their main audience is a young one who would even bother to look who he is, anyway he made the older fans and IWC happy so I'm fine with it

Rottenpuppets
07-11-2012, 01:02 PM
I was not excited this time, or the 5 previous times he has come back.

His time has long since passed. This coming from someone who grew up in the 70s/80s lol.

Cabers
07-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Can't say i was bothered either way!

PrimusSucks
07-11-2012, 05:40 PM
I'm not entirely sure a large part of the audience in the arena knew who he was. You heard the ones who did, you saw them get excited but for those who don't know him all they saw was a fairly old man acting like an idiot and then taking down Slater with a move they probably never saw before.

Personally I was happy to see him there because I know his history and know how truly talented he is, but I hate that they had him acting like some confused old man, that seemed pointless to me even if it was his gimmick years ago.

I agree and disagree, I would have rather seen the old 70's Backlund who used to lift men twice his size and outlast opponents in the ring but he probably isn't that same young stud anymore.

I disagree because if we are talking about Raw here, that is the gimmick he had every time he appeared on Raw.

Sahu
07-12-2012, 06:00 AM
Bob is a legend Bearkg88...as I said u in that very blog..he's an amazing wrestler..his chicken wing crossface is one hell of a move...

if 88 is ur year of birth...then I'm just few years older than u...but, I have seen his feud with Brethart...he's amazing....