PDA

View Full Version : It just hit me about what TNA just did that was so right

Playboy Stevie V
07-09-2012, 01:33 PM
First of all I'm not a TNA mark. I have always been a WWE guy, but I'm not a biased fan by no means. I give each promotion a fair shot of judgement. TNA lately has been capturing my attention and as hard as it for a WWE guy to say this, I actually have been looking forward to their shows and ppvs more so than the WWE.

One of the things I have been critical about the WWE is their lack of prestige in their IC and United States titles. Granted they have been doing better with regards to the IC belt. But what TNA just did to put butts in the seats and grab peoples attention to their secondary belt, was to do what they they did with the X division title last night. Their secondary title is now the key to get a world title shot at every yearly Destination X. With that being the case, every X division title match and champion will be watched more and debated about because in a years time that person could get shot to the main event scene. What a way to give more meaning to their secondary belt! That's genius.

Just imagine if their was that same concept in the WWE for the United States and IC championship. Once a year whoever holds those belts will get a instant WWE or WHC shot. That would make the United States and IC belt WAY more interesting.

Kudos to TNA

Thoughts?

redblade0
07-09-2012, 01:40 PM
So it's kind of like MITB and the RR. The main problem is people won't care as much about the X division title until around destination X time. They also have to ensure their world title seems prestigious which is always a hard task.

Playboy Stevie V
07-09-2012, 01:43 PM
So it's kind of like MITB and the RR. The main problem is people won't care as much about the X division title until around destination X time. They also have to ensure their world title seems prestigious which is always a hard task.

That's nothing like MITB or the RR. It's a belt that has to be defended all year long to get to destination X. Not a one time RR that gets you a shot in 2 months or a brief case that can be cashed in after a match. It brings more to the table than just a secondary belt.

Just imagine on Night of Champions whoever is the IC and United States champion gets a shot at the WHC and WWE belt. But just like TNA they would have to vacate the the belt and that PPV they have a tournament or big match to crown new secondary champions. I think that would put more sizzle in those belts compared to their current state.

MachoManFan
07-09-2012, 01:52 PM
It's a good idea if you ask me, beacuse it means that everyone who holds the belt will believe they'll hang on to it until Destination X and that will intensify rivalries. Of course the whole idea would have fallen flat if they didn't let AA win the world title and show it can be done. Combined with the BFG series it gives us more to chew over and enjoy than just whatever feud is going on.

As for the comment on TNA being more interesting at the moment, I agree too. WWE only has the AJ/Bryan/Punk saga keeping me interested at the moment but TNA are pushing most of the right buttons to make me tune in.

bigrence202
07-09-2012, 02:02 PM
TNA is doing everything right imo no Bischoff on TV,,Hogan isnt being shoved down our throat as much anymore. the X division which has always been their strong point is stilll thriving,even though they lost Shelly,Kendrick,Amazing Red and Sabin to injury, they are bringing in established vets from the indies like Scorpio Sky and Sabian, as well as Kenny King, now that Zema Ion is champ that can set up him vs Sorenson,on top of that you have the Joey Ryan storyline which im enjoying alot, they got guys that can go out there and work plain and simple Impact has been killing Raw for the last few weeks IMO,im tired of squash matches,overweight wrestlers doing fucking dance routines,and over the hill legends taking time away from up and coming wrestlers

tupelojoe81
07-09-2012, 02:34 PM
if I remember correctly, the US and Intercontinental belts used to mean #1 contenders back in the early 90's. I could be completely wrong on that.

akbar
07-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Basically what TNA did was, Look at what was talked about most amongst the Internet fans 'ahh man WWE don't care about IC and US title' ...Dixie sees this on Twitter and says 'Heyy I've got a bright idea' So TNA does everything we wanted to see in WWE: Give prestige to Mid card wrestle and the X division title, Keep Aries on top because he really is the Internet darling. So as a cause, Internet fans are happy and satisfied.

I wait to see that if these are good decisions on a business side of things, See how the ratings are with Aries as the main man etc...

Playboy Stevie V
07-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Basically what TNA did was, Look at what was talked about most amongst the Internet fans 'ahh man WWE don't care about IC and US title' ...Dixie sees this on Twitter and says 'Heyy I've got a bright idea' So TNA does everything we wanted to see in WWE: Give prestige to Mid card wrestle and the X division title, Keep Aries on top because he really is the Internet darling. So as a cause, Internet fans are happy and satisfied.

I wait to see that if these are good decisions on a business side of things, See how the ratings are with Aries as the main man etc...

I think that the rating will stay the same, until they establish their own home grown guys in more of a main stream fashion. This will only happen with them focusing on their own talent and time.

I suggested before if they wanted some more exposure for their talent they have to, tour more and make some Clash of the Champions type free TV ppv about once every 4 months so people could get used to seeing their wrestlers. But they have to promote the s*it out of it.

This is a great start for them though and they are moving in the right direction IMO. I marked out hard last night when AA won. The last time I marked out that hard was when Mankind beat The Rock for the championship on RAW.

XxJPPRxX
07-09-2012, 03:02 PM
I think that the rating will stay the same, until they establish their own home grown guys in more of a main stream fashion. This will only happen with them focusing on their own talent and time.

I suggested before if they wanted some more exposure for their talent they have to, tour more and make some Clash of the Champions type free TV ppv about once every 4 months so people could get used to seeing their wrestlers. But they have to promote the s*it out of it.

This is a great start for them though and they are moving in the right direction IMO. I marked out hard last night when AA won. The last time I marked out that hard was when Mankind beat The Rock for the championship on RAW.
i agree it was good but it wasnt the best ive seen as there have been alot better matches and moments in tna and wwe well IMO anyway.

Haruko Haruhara
07-09-2012, 03:12 PM
First of all I'm not a TNA mark. I have always been a WWE guy, but I'm not a biased fan by no means. I give each promotion a fair shot of judgement. TNA lately has been capturing my attention and as hard as it for a WWE guy to say this, I actually have been looking forward to their shows and ppvs more so than the WWE.

One of the things I have been critical about the WWE is their lack of prestige in their IC and United States titles. Granted they have been doing better with regards to the IC belt. But what TNA just did to put butts in the seats and grab peoples attention to their secondary belt, was to do what they they did with the X division title last night. Their secondary title is now the key to get a world title shot at every yearly Destination X. With that being the case, every X division title match and champion will be watched more and debated about because in a years time that person could get shot to the main event scene. What a way to give more meaning to their secondary belt! That's genius.

Just imagine if their was that same concept in the WWE for the United States and IC championship. Once a year whoever holds those belts will get a instant WWE or WHC shot. That would make the United States and IC belt WAY more interesting.

Kudos to TNA

Thoughts?

I really think it was a filler because they didnt want AA to be all talk, have a huge build up then lose his X title to become WHC. I really think they had no idea how to pull the title off of A Double so they had to go with a way to make him not look like a weak challenger thus resulting in this. A lack of how to pull the title off of him turned into a good idea.

Talinski10
07-09-2012, 03:28 PM
I like the concept of awarding a World Championship Match to a Champion at the cost of his current championship belt. I that it establishes prestige to a title to know that by holding it you could be a World Champion. As well as takes the belt off a champion without making him look weak by losing to someone in the division. Seriously how could you take Aries seriously as a World Title Contender if he drops his belt to Zema Ion. This way they both win, Ion becomes champion after a great champion. Aries gets a world title shot and wins!

The one issue with what TNA did is making this a yearly event. I don't like the idea of having this concept happen once a year at a certain PPV, instead it should be a rule that once a champion hold a title for x number of day or a certain number of title defenses that he is eligible to then trade his title in. I think the number could be set low enough that it could happen a few times a year, but you still need to be champion for a while, say 100 days or 10 successful title defenses.

Cabers
07-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Its essentially a MitB briefcase that is defended yearly its a pretty cool concept. I will admit i thought originally that it would devalue the X Division Championship i hope i am wrong.

Playboy Stevie V
07-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Its essentially a MitB briefcase that is defended yearly its a pretty cool concept. I will admit i thought originally that it would devalue the X Division Championship i hope i am wrong.

Basically^^^^

But can you imagine how much more interesting the IC and USA titles would be if once a year whoever holds those belts has to drop them and get a WHC or WWE title shot at a ppv and that same ppv they crown new IC and USA champs? I think it would make those belts and the midcard, so much more interesting.

bartish2
07-09-2012, 03:54 PM
But can you imagine how much more interesting the IC and USA titles would be if once a year whoever holds those belts has to drop them and get a WHC or WWE title shot at a ppv and that same ppv they crown new IC and USA champs? I think it would make those belts and the midcard, so much more interesting.

yeah but wwe does not care about anything besides main events so fat chance :P

Playboy Stevie V
07-09-2012, 03:57 PM
yeah but wwe does not care about anything besides main events so fat chance :P

:( I know, but living in Fantasy-Land makes me feel better some times. Reality-Land bites.

drumn4life0789
07-09-2012, 06:26 PM
I am thinking and hoping that at the next Destination X who ever is holding the X Title chooses to keep it, and not take the world title shot. I think this in itself will add to the title. Whoever has the title has to say that he believes the two titles are on the same level and there is no need to give up his title to go for something that is on par.

masakaritko
07-09-2012, 10:55 PM
I guarantee what's going to happen more often than not is you will see a lot of former x-division champions from years past begin to start going after and winning the x-division title again, especially in the months leading to each destination x ppv. If they are going to give a guy the main event at Destination x, then it's going to be someone they can at least be halfway behind as a potential world champion. In the coming years, don't expect to see guys like jesse sorrenson, sonjay dutt, or zema ion in the main event. I would expect guys like Samoa Joe, Brutus Magnus, AJ Styles, Chris Daniels, Kaz, etc... to be the x-division champion when DX comes around. Don't expect guys to cash it in every year either. They will have the opportunity to cash it in for a world title shot, that doesn't mean they will. I would actually expect them to book someone like Zema Ion to turn it down, based on being X-division champ has more guarantee than walking out with nothing because you couldn't win the world title. just my thoughts

masakaritko
07-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Basically^^^^

Nah, WWE wouldn't dare copy a concept from TNA, they never took concepts from ECW or WCW, wait...err....nvm

eyehatecena
07-09-2012, 11:20 PM
It's a good idea if you ask me, beacuse it means that everyone who holds the belt will believe they'll hang on to it until Destination X and that will intensify rivalries. Of course the whole idea would have fallen flat if they didn't let AA win the world title and show it can be done. Combined with the BFG series it gives us more to chew over and enjoy than just whatever feud is going on.

As for the comment on TNA being more interesting at the moment, I agree too. WWE only has the AJ/Bryan/Punk saga keeping me interested at the moment but TNA are pushing most of the right buttons to make me tune in.

The bolded- I totally agree with. I can kick myself for forgeting that the PPV was on last night as I really wanted to see it. TNA is, overall putting on better matches and Aries- even if he would have lost against Roode, would still put butts in the seats. The guy is/and has always been a great talent. How TNA let him slip away years ago, idk and ROH getting rid of him too- a mistake. I'm glad this TNA run is going great for him and really glad he won the title(even though I'm a Roode fan too)

Wrestling Realist
07-09-2012, 11:50 PM
The bolded- I totally agree with. I can kick myself for forgeting that the PPV was on last night as I really wanted to see it. TNA is, overall putting on better matches and Aries- even if he would have lost against Roode, would still put butts in the seats. The guy is/and has always been a great talent. How TNA let him slip away years ago, idk and ROH getting rid of him too- a mistake. I'm glad this TNA run is going great for him and really glad he won the title(even though I'm a Roode fan too)
Even worst what was WWE thinking when A Double tried out for the last Tough Enough and WWE turned him down

The Brown One
07-10-2012, 12:03 AM
I guarantee what's going to happen more often than not is you will see a lot of former x-division champions from years past begin to start going after and winning the x-division title again, especially in the months leading to each destination x ppv. If they are going to give a guy the main event at Destination x, then it's going to be someone they can at least be halfway behind as a potential world champion. In the coming years, don't expect to see guys like jesse sorrenson, sonjay dutt, or zema ion in the main event. I would expect guys like Samoa Joe, Brutus Magnus, AJ Styles, Chris Daniels, Kaz, etc... to be the x-division champion when DX comes around. Don't expect guys to cash it in every year either. They will have the opportunity to cash it in for a world title shot, that doesn't mean they will. I would actually expect them to book someone like Zema Ion to turn it down, based on being X-division champ has more guarantee than walking out with nothing because you couldn't win the world title. just my thoughts

Agreed. I just don't see how guys like Sorrenson, Dutt or Ion can become main eventers in the span of one year, and seem like real world title contenders. Austin Aries was special.

Darkside Ron Garvin
07-10-2012, 02:27 AM
Agreed. I just don't see how guys like Sorrenson, Dutt or Ion can become main eventers in the span of one year, and seem like real world title contenders. Austin Aries was special.

I could see it with some "Past" stars like Petey Williams (despite the size issue which is the same thing Aries had to overcome) or if someone like Morrison was to come into the company, but I honestly see Morrison going straight into WHC contention if he was to walk into the company. Maybe someone in the situation of London might do it, but that's me grabbing at straws. Either way, the current (I only say current because I believe he will be signed by Thursday) roster has 1 person I could see doing it and that is Kenny King.

The Phantom Menace
07-10-2012, 02:49 AM
Autin is & was a special case because he held the Xdivision title for soooooo long & that was his point. I loved that he had to give it up in order to get the WHC shot. It was a classic put up or shut up type thing, that tottally worked in his favor. Plus it was a great way to put the spot light on the X Division title & make it mean something. I just hope he does'nt do what everyother TNA WHC has done after winning the gold(heel turn)execpt Sting, Samoa Joe & Rhino.

kiltbill
07-10-2012, 05:58 AM
In real life, the X-Div title would only really be contested for in the weeks leading up to the Destination-X PPV.
But there's plenty of scope in the Pro-Wrestling world for this to work, by highlighting that it the title holder will have the opportunity to go for the HW title (and just don't menion the wait time).

I have not yet watched the PPV, so cannot comment on the matches. But by AA winning, it does give a better mix of future oponents over next few weeks. Bully Ray and AA have history (although BR's great heel work means that he's even managing to put over a fat, sweaty lawyer as a good guy, so he may be too busy to be HW champ for a while). Roode rematch also on the cards.

What are the chances of AA holding title until BFG? I give it 60%: I think that the long term options are slightly better with AA holding the title, rather than Roode. Buut, they have built the Roode v Storm feud for so long, that without the sweet revenge of the title for either man, it would mar (but not critically) the ending to a well told arc.

The Brown One
07-10-2012, 06:32 AM
I could see it with some "Past" stars like Petey Williams (despite the size issue which is the same thing Aries had to overcome) or if someone like Morrison was to come into the company, but I honestly see Morrison going straight into WHC contention if he was to walk into the company. Maybe someone in the situation of London might do it, but that's me grabbing at straws. Either way, the current (I only say current because I believe he will be signed by Thursday) roster has 1 person I could see doing it and that is Kenny King.

I could see Morrison becoming TNA world champion in a short span of time, but for the wrong reason. TNA has a history of putting the world title very soon on ex - WWE wrestlers, as if it were a thankyou present for joining their company. I want to see Morrison work for it. And he does need a lot of work - especially on not botching his finisher, and his mic skills. Although, he did say he was going to take classes so he could cut better promos, so we'll have to see where he goes.

The Phantom Menace
07-10-2012, 09:58 AM
I could see Morrison becoming TNA world champion in a short span of time, but for the wrong reason. TNA has a history of putting the world title very soon on ex - WWE wrestlers, as if it were a thankyou present for joining their company. I want to see Morrison work for it. And he does need a lot of work - especially on not botching his finisher, and his mic skills. Although, he did say he was going to take classes so he could cut better promos, so we'll have to see where he goes. He'd have to face A.J. on the way up & those matches would be incredible. Morrison works better has a heel, remember his run as(ugh)ECW champion.?

eyehatecena
07-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Even worst what was WWE thinking when A Double tried out for the last Tough Enough and WWE turned him down

WWE was not thinking, lol. Seriuosly though, it would have set back Aries career.

Being in or winning TE doesn't mean shit. This last go around the winner gets canned- the first one to be called up was the worst on the show(she is one of Clays dancers btw). The year Miz was in it- the winner of that season-Daniel Puder- was gone in no time. Morrison and Miz were the only two with staying power. And you can add Matt Morgan to that short list too, very short list

Point is, Aries has natural talent and great charisma- TE was not the place for him- he didn't need to be taught how to wrestle or cut a promo(He would have been great as a trainer though). I'm just glad he is back on TV- it didn't matter to me if he was on Impact, Raw or SD

Wrestling Realist
07-10-2012, 11:32 PM
WWE was not thinking, lol. Seriuosly though, it would have set back Aries career.

Being in or winning TE doesn't mean shit. This last go around the winner gets canned- the first one to be called up was the worst on the show(she is one of Clays dancers btw). The year Miz was in it- the winner of that season-Daniel Puder- was gone in no time. Morrison and Miz were the only two with staying power. And you can add Matt Morgan to that short list too, very short list

Point is, Aries has natural talent and great charisma- TE was not the place for him- he didn't need to be taught how to wrestle or cut a promo(He would have been great as a trainer though). I'm just glad he is back on TV- it didn't matter to me if he was on Impact, Raw or SD
yes true TE won't have been the best route for AA but WWE still could have said hey here a contract your too good for TE go to FCW
OH well WWE lost is TNA's gain

HCollins-TNA1
07-10-2012, 11:46 PM
More like Bragging Rights....

The Brown One
07-11-2012, 01:25 AM
He'd have to face A.J. on the way up & those matches would be incredible. Morrison works better has a heel, remember his run as(ugh)ECW champion.?

Yeah his run was decent. I liked him better when he was with Nitro and Miz. He was also irritating on the mic, in a good way. If he can improve on his skills, he can be better than what he was in ECW.