PDA

View Full Version : You Suck

Double Axehandle
07-08-2012, 07:32 PM
What happened to the good interactions between the crowd and the heel wrestler? Remember when Kurt had the whole crowd singing "you suck" during his entrance music or lance storm and "boring" chants. The best we have today is the generic "what?" chant for all heel promos. Where is the personalization of the interactions?

Tommy Thunder
07-08-2012, 07:34 PM
What happened to the good interactions between the crowd and the heel wrestler? Remember when Kurt had the whole crowd singing "you suck" during his entrance music or lance storm and "boring" chants. The best we have today is the generic "what?" chant for all heel promos. Where is the personalization of the interactions?

I still hear "You Suck", "You cant' wrestle", "Boring", "This is Awesome", "Holy Shit" chants (just to name a few) during WWE programming.

K2Jelly
07-08-2012, 07:35 PM
I still hear "You Suck", "You cant' wrestle" and "Boring" chants during WWE programming.

He's asking where the "personalization" is. I think he means "Where are the chants made for particular wrestlers nowadays?"

Double Axehandle
07-08-2012, 07:36 PM
He's asking where the "personalization" is. I think he means "Where are the chants made for particular wrestlers nowadays?"

Yes I was.

Tommy Thunder
07-08-2012, 07:41 PM

Oh I see. My bad for not reading that right.

I suppose you should ask the "fans" that go to the shows.

K2Jelly
07-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Well, the only one I can see right now is "Feed Me More" for Ryback.

Bodom
07-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Well, the only one I can see right now is "Feed Me More" for Ryback.

Does "Yes" not qualify?

SLEEPY LOCO1
07-08-2012, 07:45 PM
They were chanting "Albert" for Tensai during his matches, but McMahon has them edited out.

BAH_GAWD
07-08-2012, 07:46 PM
i can think of a current one in one word. YES!

VanHooliganX
07-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Does "Yes" not qualify?

"Si" happens too sometimes.

K2Jelly
07-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Does "Yes" not qualify?

"Yes!" has now become today's new "What?"

Tommy Thunder
07-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Does "Yes" not qualify?

While the "YES!" chant did start out as a Daniel Bryan thing, it's morphed into an universal chant now IMO.

akbar
07-08-2012, 07:51 PM
I know saying names might not really count but when Punk comes out his always getting crazy loud synchronised 'CM Punk!'

But I feel for the future obvious stars: Dolph, Cody, Sandow etc...for them to be really over, they HAVE to come up with some sort of gimmicky catchphrases.

HeelTurn
07-08-2012, 07:54 PM
When Edge had the "spear" chants, its because he set it up in the corner giving the fans chance to chant it. Nobody does that with finishers anymore. Del Rio does get the "si" chants and Cena gets the "You can't see me" when he does that move.

Los Conquistador
07-08-2012, 07:57 PM
still has a point based on crowd reactions for a standard PPV match ten years ago compared to today.

Judgement 2002 - Rob Van Dam vs Eddie Guerrero - every pin attempt had the crowd buzzing despite a "smark" knowing the match wouldn't end there

compare that to todays PPV matches and then you'll notice the crowd is significantly quieter, if its a question of Van Dam and Guerrero being a bad example, even Billy & Chuck vs Rikishi & Rico had better pops than what we get today

maybe the passion is gone, maybe wrestling fans today know the formulas to matches and the behind the scenes stuff more than they should to enjoy the product or maybe todays guys just can't connect with fans as much

whatever it is (personally i believe its the second reason) there is definitely something missing from present day wrestling audiences

Slivon
07-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Does "Yes" not qualify?
Where is your signature from?

Bodom
07-08-2012, 08:00 PM

The internet.

Mr Punk
07-08-2012, 08:00 PM
When Kofi Kingston does the boom drop I think the crowd chant boom! boom! boom! or something along those lines.

K2Jelly
07-08-2012, 08:02 PM

Right here:

http://after12.failblog.org/2012/05/25/party-fails-oh-yeah-its-morphin-all-right/#comments

akbar
07-08-2012, 08:02 PM
The internet.
Don't lie to me.

akbar
07-08-2012, 08:03 PM
When Kofi Kingston does the boom drop I think the crowd chant boom! boom! boom! or something along those lines.
And when Sheamus does his kick, they chant something like 'Brouge' or whatever.

rodrik
07-08-2012, 08:04 PM
actually...all the shows that get taped are always edited ( smackdown, superstars nxt), which means they replace stuff including the chants, but what is also a possibility is that they use the same trick as they do with the crowds in tv shows, the trick is very simple...there are people behind the screen that tell the crowd what to chant, so if those guys say "yes chants", the crowd chants yes.

Bodom
07-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Right here:

http://after12.failblog.org/2012/05/25/party-fails-oh-yeah-its-morphin-all-right/#comments

Nope. Found it on this tumblr. There's all sorts of goodies in it.

http://fuck-bitches-get-money.tumblr.com/

KJ PUNK
07-08-2012, 08:25 PM
actually...all the shows that get taped are always edited ( smackdown, superstars nxt), which means they replace stuff including the chants, but what is also a possibility is that they use the same trick as they do with the crowds in tv shows, the trick is very simple...there are people behind the screen that tell the crowd what to chant, so if those guys say "yes chants", the crowd chants yes.
​Yeah, that definitely doesn't happen.

IrkenInvader
07-08-2012, 08:38 PM
The video games have great ones. "Kozlov's gonna kill you"

beatfighter3000
07-08-2012, 08:42 PM
still has a point based on crowd reactions for a standard PPV match ten years ago compared to today.

Judgement 2002 - Rob Van Dam vs Eddie Guerrero - every pin attempt had the crowd buzzing despite a "smark" knowing the match wouldn't end there

compare that to todays PPV matches and then you'll notice the crowd is significantly quieter, if its a question of Van Dam and Guerrero being a bad example, even Billy & Chuck vs Rikishi & Rico had better pops than what we get today

maybe the passion is gone, maybe wrestling fans today know the formulas to matches and the behind the scenes stuff more than they should to enjoy the product or maybe todays guys just can't connect with fans as much

whatever it is (personally i believe its the second reason) there is definitely something missing from present day wrestling audiences

Unlike Twitter, I cannot "retweet" this, these were my thoughts exactly. I was having a conversation with a fellow wrestling fan, and the exact same things you mentioned came to my mind. Similarly to you, I do believe the wrestling mentality and the connection with the fans has definitely changed. In fact, just watch a match even without the audience interaction, its like the chemistry between the wrestlers were so much different, like they were willing to take more risks as they were very comfortable with the wrestlers. Maybe its the whole idea of health and safety [pretty ironic seeing as its supposed to appear a violent sport] but yeah it just seems so different.

I feel that WWE as a whole are focusing on bringing such a product that is so in with the times, that they're forgetting about what they're actually showing us. You can do all the twitter voting schemes, text voting schemes, HD screenings, WWE movies, WWE universe rubbish, but all of this is just the icing to a crappy end product.

Darkside Ron Garvin
07-08-2012, 08:45 PM

As much as people like to believe this, it isn't always the case...

Slammiversay this year, So Cal Val was sitting right in front of our section. I heard that she was bad about starting chants. The furthest from the truth at this PPV. Maybe the crowd was so hot or what not, but we fans started each and every chant and she happend to get in on what we were saying. Even to the point of chanting "We want Devon" when Lil' Bish was in the ring.

I think the excuse given above is just a cop out for fans who aren't in the crowd at the time. Some people are still willing *looking in mirror* to lose the voice they have for something they are passionate about. There are fans that go to all shows who are this passionate and are the ones who start chants. Pops are usually just something associated with an entrance whereas chants are associated with fans starting them... Not some WWE/TNA/ROH employee. My opinion.

BAH_GAWD
07-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Santino Marella when he does the Cobra. I've heard people chant with him sometimes

rodrik
07-08-2012, 09:19 PM
​Yeah, that definitely doesn't happen.

that was a wild guess u know, still figuring out how they do that with a crowd so large :cool:

thedag
07-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Ummm Hoski.

K2Jelly
07-08-2012, 09:59 PM
We've got a new chant now:

AUSTIN ARIES! *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* AUSTIN ARIES! *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* AUSTIN ARIES!

dashkatae
07-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Do the Woo woo woo for Zach Ryder not count? Or the Yes! chant, or the Si! chant, or Let's go Cena/Cena Sucks?

K2Jelly
07-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Do the Woo woo woo for Zach Ryder not count? Or the Yes! chant, or the Si! chant, or Let's go Cena/Cena Sucks?

These two don't. They're used whenever the crowd likes someone or something that happens. It used to only be applied to Bryan but now it's being directed to everything.

Slivon
07-08-2012, 10:46 PM
These two don't. They're used whenever the crowd likes someone or something that happens. It used to only be applied to Bryan but now it's being directed to everything.
So that means that Kurt Angles "You Suck" chant does not count for him either now? No, it still does count just like Daniel Bryan's "Yes" chant still does count.

K2Jelly
07-08-2012, 11:01 PM
So that means that Kurt Angles "You Suck" chant does not count for him either now? No, it still does count just like Daniel Bryan's "Yes" chant still does count.

"You Suck" was used way before Kurt Angle got on the scene. It's only synonymous to him when it was used along with his entrance and it was done whether he was a heel or not. It went beyond the traditional use of "You Suck" and made it something that's only associated with Kurt Angle and that usage of "You Suck" was only done for him. I guarantee it.

The Brown One
07-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Did anyone listen to the chants during the Aries - Roode match at Destination X? You could clearly hear "Shit Factor!" directed at Roode. I guess that counts.

Cabers
07-09-2012, 02:43 PM
I was preparing a retort as i was offended at your headline! lol

But nah seriously i do miss them days but it would be bleeped out now!