PDA

View Full Version : Backstage promos

Double Axehandle
07-05-2012, 12:08 AM
I feel like during the fabled AE the backstage promos of the rock, Austin, taker etc reached a peak and added to the entertainment of tv and ppv shows. But now I feel every backstage promo drags on aimlessly and I typically ignore what's going on completely because let's face it we get enough talking in the ring. I believe that is what has killed the fun of the backstage promos the excessive in ring talking. Back in the old days there would be a match and a small cut away showing an interview related to one of the wrestlers. Now I feel creative has to decide to either do away with the backstage stuff and keep it exclusively to ring promos or stop with the in ring talking. Personally I feel as though both drains the life out of shows and at times makes them unwatchable. The current forumula of including both in the schedule is horrible and needs to change. Vince has gotten so complacent with the lack of competition it's like he just throws a bunch of crap ideas out there and they mash them together like some pre-schooler molding playdoh.

MachoManFan
07-05-2012, 01:35 AM
I agree. To my mind I think the only promos, in ring or back stage, should be to hype an up coming match but too often now it's just a wrestler coming out to moan about something that's going on without actually calling anyone out or having the crucial "and when I face them on PPV I'm gunna kick his ass." bit at the end. I miss the old style interviews you'd see in the attitude era and before, WWE should go back to them.
I also agree some decent competition would work wonders, but all the while TNA are poor, stuck in the impact zone and TV-14 there's no-one to compete with.

justinjackson1983
07-05-2012, 10:39 AM
I agree. To my mind I think the only promos, in ring or back stage, should be to hype an up coming match but too often now it's just a wrestler coming out to moan about something that's going on without actually calling anyone out or having the crucial "and when I face them on PPV I'm gunna kick his ass." bit at the end. I miss the old style interviews you'd see in the attitude era and before, WWE should go back to them.
I also agree some decent competition would work wonders, but all the while TNA are poor, stuck in the impact zone and TV-14 there's no-one to compete with.

Iv noticed On TNA they have like a reality tv show vibe from the backstage segments and they have been entertaining and different, I think wwe need to adapt to this style as it honestly is a great idea and would make things feel more updated in the wwe,

Anytime there is a backstage segment in recent memory it usually is the same old routine the GM standing in front of the latest we magazine cover, the segment goes nowhere... or the classic wrestler walking to the ring and usually gets stopped by someone

Double Axehandle
07-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Iv noticed On TNA they have like a reality tv show vibe from the backstage segments and they have been entertaining and different, I think wwe need to adapt to this style as it honestly is a great idea and would make things feel more updated in the wwe,

Anytime there is a backstage segment in recent memory it usually is the same old routine the GM standing in front of the latest we magazine cover, the segment goes nowhere... or the classic wrestler walking to the ring and usually gets stopped by someone

Yeah the GM and the magazine thing does make sense business wise promoting a product. My issue is the backstage promos are unnecessary because of the amount of in ring talking already taking up huge chunks of potential wrestling time. I think it needs to be one or the other at this point either talk in the ring or talk backstage. The forumula used to work doing both when Vince and creative had the brains to get the message out there quickly and clearly then on to the wrestling. Now we are almost guaranteed 15 minutes on average is devoted to talking at the start of raw, a 5 minute gm segment backstage, another 5-10 minute segment where some wrestler bitches about something bothering them, lots of cut always to the announce team, another backstage or ring talking bit and about 3-4 wrestling matches the whole 2 hours. The soap opera part can be fun but I fell in love with wrestling as a child for the action not the endless talking.

Cabers
07-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Bah the still can't change it to be more like TNA because then you will make a thread saying that there copying TNA!