PDA

View Full Version : Can't see Punk being Champion come Summerslam

Kenny Kaos
07-02-2012, 02:21 PM
I think its just a matter of time before CM Punk loses the WWE title and I'll tell you why. Basically...John Cena.

This is not a thread bashing Cena. I am not a fan of his but it makes sense from a financial point of view (PPV buy rates, merchandise sales ect) to have him back in the title picture for Summerslam, probably the 2nd biggest PPV of the year behind Wrestlemania.

I just can't see a CM Punk/John Cena programme for the WWE Title. Its not the PG era's style to do a face v face feud, it would confuse the children on who to cheer for, for starters! Plus, I can't see them turning EITHER of them heel any time soon. Cena is worth too much money as the face of the company, and the WWE regard Punk as basically their joint 2nd biggest face (along with Sheamus) behind Cena at this point in time.

As cool as it would be to see Cena v Punk go at it again (probably one of Cena's best matches at MITB, truth be known), for these reasons, I just don't see it happening so think between now and Summerslam, Punk is living on borrowed time. What do you guys think?

Tommy Thunder
07-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Well Punk's not going to be champ forever. His current reign is the longest single reign in recent history, so it's a given that it's going to end soon. They've been discussing taking the title off Pun for about 3 ppv's now.

It's also a given that Cena will be back in the title picture sooner rather than later. A Summerslam title change from Punk to Cena is more than likely IMO.

bartish2
07-02-2012, 02:45 PM
I think the future seems grim if they have to keep relying on the same 2 guys to get them ratings when they don't even build future stars. (TLC 2011 did just fine without cena only dropping 9,000 buys from the previous year, but that happens every PPV, the raws where cena was not on did just fine.) but...knowing vince and his love for cena, cena will be involved regardless since "we can't have him to low on the card" so stick him in the title picture, again ... big surprise.I think I may have to skip wwe for a few months if john borena wins another belt, already boring enough.

So, I think punk is going to lose his title soon regardless. I hope to bryan. Hopefully kane or jericho wins the MITB briefcase because the last thing we need is the big slow, john borena, or the miz to win.

Kenny Kaos
07-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Well Punk's not going to be champ forever. His current reign is the longest single reign in recent history, so it's a given that it's going to end soon. They've been discussing taking the title off Pun for about 3 ppv's now.

It's also a given that Cena will be back in the title picture sooner rather than later. A Summerslam title change from Punk to Cena is more than likely IMO.

I wouldn't mind seeing this happening (never thought I'd write those words!) but that begs the question how would it go down?

Would both be face's going into the match? Or would it be like the last match, with kids and families backing Cena and more smart fans backing Punk?
Would Cena win clean? Would there be outside interference from Bryan? Would Cena cheat to win and actually turn heel? Would Punk turn heel after losing and snap, attacking Cena?

Wade Barrett 1979
07-02-2012, 02:55 PM
What's wrong with the Miz:confused:

HeelTurn
07-02-2012, 02:59 PM
I would prefer to see Bryan vs Cena at Summerslam, just to make things a bit different. Maybe have Cena cash in the MITB (you know he will win it) at SS and have Bryan get himself dq'd or counted out so Cena becomes the first person to cash in and lose. Then of course have the inevitable rematch at NOC where Cena wins.

Tommy Thunder
07-02-2012, 03:02 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing this happening (never thought I'd write those words!) but that begs the question how would it go down?

Would both be face's going into the match? Or would it be like the last match, with kids and families backing Cena and more smart fans backing Punk?
Would Cena win clean? Would there be outside interference from Bryan? Would Cena cheat to win and actually turn heel? Would Punk turn heel after losing and snap, attacking Cena?

I wouldn't rule out a heel turn for either to be honest. Punk turning is more likely of course, but what if Cena wins the MITB case?

Of course, like you said, it's also possible they'll just do a repeat of last year with the smart fans supporting Punk and the kids/families supporting Cena.

Also, the scenario that Dubs proposed is possible.

Also, there's rumors of a 'big storyline' going down during the summer around Summerslam time (WWE always have one each year; 2010 it was Nexus, 2011 it was Punk, 2012.....). So that's to be anticipated and could tie into all this,

There's so many possibilities, it's got me interested right now. I always like this time of the year.

Hurtts101
07-02-2012, 03:09 PM
A left feild thought; Is the WWE Championship MitB match locked in? Miz is due back and as a former champ has every right to join the match. I could see him winning and Cena challenging him for the belt. Have Show fight Sheamus perhaps for the World Championship at Summerslam. Punk vs Ziggler number 1 contender? A little less predictable than the seeming Bryan win with Cena challenging...

Playboy Stevie V
07-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Can anybody see maybe The Rock returning and challenging the Champ for a Summerslam match? I mean it's the 2nd biggest ppv and he hinted at becoming champ again after WM?

Or is that just wishful thinking seeing Punk vs Rock at Summerslam?

I think it's wishful thinking.

El T Draino 316
07-02-2012, 04:05 PM
A left feild thought; Is the WWE Championship MitB match locked in? Miz is due back and as a former champ has every right to join the match. I could see him winning and Cena challenging him for the belt. Have Show fight Sheamus perhaps for the World Championship at Summerslam. Punk vs Ziggler number 1 contender? A little less predictable than the seeming Bryan win with Cena challenging...

I support this. Or at the least, I DEFINITELY support the idea of #1 Contenders Matches being highlighted and made to seem important. Emphasis on the Number 1 Contender makes the titles they are chasing more valuable.

This is a fun time of the year. MITB can and likely will literally shake up the entire main event scene. Depending on the outcomes, we could see Barrett, Miz, Mysterio, and even The Rock pop-up and make some serious noise. And guys like Cody Rhodes and Randy Orton aren't even in this discussion, and both can be wrestling by Summerslam. Exciting times in deed.

My prefered theory I just thought of: Whoever wins the Raw MITB could go after Sheamus while he's down. Than a guy like Ziggler can pop up and screw up the cash-in, kind of to say, "If I can't have the title, you can't either." Ziggler and failed-cash-in victim can have a #1 contenders match. I'm rambling now. Hell, we could have a double cash in! I'll stop now. Just don't let Cena win, cash in, and pin DB clean and render Bryan and Punks 3 month feud for the title meaningless. I'd cry.

Playboy Stevie V
07-02-2012, 04:07 PM
I think it would be epic and a cool way to start out the countdown to Wrestlemania for Cena to win the money in the bank. Then the Rock Challenge Punk for Summerslam. Punk puts on another clinic, but The Rock wins the belt. While celebrating Cena's music hits and he cashes in the case on the Rock and beats him. He says something like "Welcome to my era Dwyane!" Since MITB was not a issue during Rock's era.

Now you got a rematch Rock and Cena 2 for Wrestlemania for the belt.

They have to do something epic with MITB on the RAW's side since it's not newcomer push this year.

Again wishful thinking, but I'd dig it if it happened.

El T Draino 316
07-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Can anybody see maybe The Rock returning and challenging the Champ for a Summerslam match? I mean it's the 2nd biggest ppv and he hinted at becoming champ again after WM?

Could you imagine? If the match is about to start and the Rock's musics hits and he storms down the ramp the place would ERUPT. Holy hell, it would be buzzing for the entire match. Punk vs Rock at Summerslam would be phenomonal. That said, I have been fully expected DB to get the strap against Punk at MITB. Interesting.

Cabers
07-02-2012, 04:14 PM
I sadly have to agree the simple fact that Cena mentioned its been over a year since he was champion, vinnie mac is going to fire someone from creative for leaving it go that long and then continue to make cena champion until he is the former 40th time WWE Champion.

WeDominate99
07-02-2012, 04:25 PM

Won't happen cause Rocky is buisy with shooting movies and he will return begin 2013 and Punk hates The Rock i don't think they can work together, I rather have Punk v Austin Summerslam

WeDominate99
07-02-2012, 04:31 PM
I can see Cena turning heel I mean it would be big just like CM Punk and Nexus. I think that Rey Mysterio and The Miz will join the match, Jericho won't win it cause at August he will be leaving, Big Slow is fueding with Brodus then Kane stays as a logical move.

Playboy Stevie V
07-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Won't happen cause Rocky is buisy with shooting movies and he will return begin 2013 and Punk hates The Rock i don't think they can work together, I rather have Punk v Austin Summerslam

Austin is not ready. I can see Punk and Austin a WM, but not Summer Slam.

SO then what was with the post WM RAW Rock's promo about then, when he said he want to be the champ one more time? Is that just going to be swept under the rug along with the anonymous GM or are they going to do something with that?

To me it would make perfect sense to have the Rock challenge at the 2nd biggest ppv since he said he wanted to win the championship one more time.

It shouldn't matter if Punk and Rock don't like each other. Plenty of superstars have had matches with other wrestlers that they didn't like.

Unless he has a title match a WM instead, I guess.

I know it's still wishful thinking.

HeelTurn
07-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Austin is not ready. I can see Punk and Austin a WM, but not Summer Slam.

SO then what was with the post WM RAW Rock's promo about then, when he said he want to be the champ one more time? Is that just going to be swept under the rug along with the anonymous GM or are they going to do something with that?

To me it would make perfect sense to have the Rock challenge at the 2nd biggest ppv since he said he wanted to win the championship one more time.

It shouldn't matter if Punk and Rock don't like each other. Plenty of superstars have had matches with other wrestlers that they didn't like.

Unless he has a title match a WM instead, I guess.

I know it's still wishful thinking.

Just like Cena's ER rules "I'm going away for a while" promo...then nothing happening.

He is supposedly set for Mania next year and thats all, so a rematch between him and Cena seems likely, this time for the belt.

Amerinaine
07-02-2012, 05:21 PM
I still think Punk should keep the belt. I might be one of the remaining few who think this. We haven't had a long term champion like this for a while now that had actual wrestling ability and mic skills both. I'm not saying he shouldn't lose it soon though, But I say get him to the 365 day mark or beyond, than have him drop the belt. It would free it up for RR or WM to do with it what you like. Sheamus should drop the belt soon too, but it isn't being talked about as much.

MachoManFan
07-02-2012, 05:58 PM
~~~wavy lines and it's MitB night~~~
Punk has just lost to Bryan thanks to AJ's inteferance, the whole arena is booing the two of them out of the building when Cena's music hits. Here he comes all Captain America and ready to win the day with his newly acquired MitB briefcase. The match starts but Bryan manages to counter the AA and quickly sets Cena into the Danielson Special. With the Yes lock applied Cena is doing his usual "I never tap" shtick but Bryan doesn't let up. Cena wriggles free and starts the 5 moves of doom and as he waves "U can't C me" at a prone Bryan
1) Aj run into the ring and kicks Cena's backside causing him to fall forward, Bryan capitalises with a quick roll up and gets the pin by hanging on Cena's Jorts. First failed cash in, Punk and Cena have mini feud for the rights to face Bryan at Summerslam.
or
2) we realise where this is going and Cena hits it and follows up with an AA and the win. Punk and Bryan then continue to feud over who will face Cena for the belt at Summerslam.

There's a 3rd option where AJ plays it straight down the middle but starts coming to the ring in Cena gear and drags him into the sordid triangle, rectangle thing they've got going. Of cousre I'm assuming Cena wins the briefcase which is not a guarentee. Big show wins, cashes in on Punk that night, setting up Big Show Vs. Cena for the WWE title at summerslam. Hogan slammed Andre, Cena will AA Big Show and WWE revisionist history will make it seem like that's never happened before.

Whatever happens WWE have me in the palm of their hands at the moment and can make this summer great, let's hope they don't f**k it up.

Playboy Stevie V
07-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Just like Cena's ER rules "I'm going away for a while" promo...then nothing happening.

He is supposedly set for Mania next year and thats all, so a rematch between him and Cena seems likely, this time for the belt.

>:( No completed storylines! JUST LIES! :'(

Grind_Bastard
07-02-2012, 07:36 PM
D-Bry wins, Cena gets the briefcase, Punk ask for his rematch as SS, they have an 60 minutes Iron Man match at SummerSlam, whoever wins faces Cena at NOC cos cena wants a RVD cash.

CricketTragic
07-02-2012, 09:24 PM
What's wrong with the Miz:confused:

You seriously asked that? I want one of those gadgets from MIB to erase my memory of anything Miz

CricketTragic
07-02-2012, 09:36 PM
I still think Punk should keep the belt. I might be one of the remaining few who think this. We haven't had a long term champion like this for a while now that had actual wrestling ability and mic skills both. I'm not saying he shouldn't lose it soon though, But I say get him to the 365 day mark or beyond, than have him drop the belt. It would free it up for RR or WM to do with it what you like. Sheamus should drop the belt soon too, but it isn't being talked about as much.

The reason Sheamus is not being talked about as much is that no one cares about WHC. IMO the WHC has about as much relevance as the old WWECW title which is why i wanted ECW to stay because it at least upped the importance of Smackdown.

If the world heavyweight championship is to remain relevant then Orton needs to turn heel and take it of Sheamus, Orton heel is gold.

Regarding the WWE title, I would love to see Punk keep it for a whole year but sadly "The Brains Trust" cant allow that so Cena wins at summerslam to increase buy rates for NOC in Boston. The only question I have a doubt with is will Cena face Bryan or Punk.
My answer is Bryan.

Also another user mentioned that Cena will take the RVD route of cashing in for a match rather then while the opponent is down, that would be obvious if Cena wins.

CricketTragic
07-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Here is a mind blower for everyone, would never happen but how cool would this be.

Jericho wins MITB and doesnt cash it in before going back to Fozzy.

He then returns just before Wrestlemania to cash it in and could we have Jericho vs The Rock one more time?

Haruko Haruhara
07-02-2012, 11:16 PM
CM Punk will be champion till he retires.

american_dragon
07-03-2012, 01:28 AM
I want to see Cm Punk lose to Daniel Bryan at MITB. Setting up an iron man match between Punk and D-Bryan for the title at Summerslam. Big Show cashes in MITB on the winner and becomes WWE Champ. Some how i think it will be set up as Fatal 4 Way at NOC: D-Bryan/CM Punk/Cena/Big Show

Rick BoA
07-03-2012, 02:05 AM
I want to see him drop the belt to Ziggler. Not because of MITB but in a legit match.

El T Draino 316
07-03-2012, 08:30 AM
I want to see him drop the belt to Ziggler. Not because of MITB but in a legit match.

You and I both Mr. Boa. I think time will tell if that will happen anytime soon. Slowly but surely, Dolph is creeping into the solo star picture. They lost Swagger, but he stuck with Vickie. Now him and Vickie are showing signs of deterioration. I don't know what his next step is, but I know the pink Showoff shirts, the #HEEL signs, and the Let's Go Ziggler chants are all more prominent than ever. We can only hope he doesn't get lost in the shuffle when this next wave of main eventers start popping back up (Rock, Lesnar, Barrett, Orton, and Miz).

I've been advocating for a Punk Bryan Iron Man Match at Summerslam for weeks now. I love that idea. I just don't see how it actually takes shape, because you have to believe Bryan is going over at MITB. Would anyone believe that he'd give the title back 1 PPV later at Summerslam? As entertaining as AJ has been, I worry about her interfering in high quality matches, and God forbid, interfering in an Iron Man match.

In the end, I have my fingers crossed that - if there will be a failed cash in - its for the WWE title. Punk and Bryan have put on too great of a feud for it to be rendered meaningless by a Big Show or Cena cash-in at the culmination of it. It hurt to type that sentence.

Poot-Hair
07-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Zigs anyone?

Jerichoholic_92
07-03-2012, 04:36 PM
I want to see Jericho win MITB, then be the first to cash in and lose. It would be hilarious. If anyone could pull it off, it would be Jericho

cubco
07-03-2012, 06:15 PM
i've been thinking about the Punk, Bryan and AJ situation today. and then it hit me...

AJ was the women in the Y2J returning videos.

Y2J is going to win MITB and then AJ helps Bryan win, but then turns on him and Jericho cashes in (Show won title and lost it straight away to Bryan - Bryan wins title and loses it straight away to Jericho)

At SummerSlam:
Chris Jericho (c) vs CM Punk vs Daniel Bryan - WWE Title

who is the 'real' best in the world?

scribbler_jones
07-03-2012, 06:29 PM
i've been thinking about the Punk, Bryan and AJ situation today. and then it hit me...

Y2J is going to win MITB and then AJ helps Bryan win, but then turns on him and Jericho cashes in (Show won title and lost it straight away to Bryan - Bryan wins title and loses it straight away to Jericho)

At SummerSlam:

... Intriguing...

justinjackson1983
07-04-2012, 10:52 AM

At SummerSlam:

No and I tell you why, the reason being there is a lot of thought gone into what you have written here, thats something beyond the wwe's grasp right now,

Great Idea and better than what ther will produce at summerslam no doubt