PDA

View Full Version : WWE's Microphone Priorities

El T Draino 316
06-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Ladies. Gentlemen.

I'll try to keep this brief, but I'd like to make note of something that tends to not make sense to me. I apologize in advance if this comes off as 'picky', but I'm an avid and loyal fan to the WWE and this website, and I need some clarity from you guys.

While reading the recap of Superstars, I noticed Heath Slater cut another in-ring promo. Now, I'm not bashing on Slater, I think he has shown some real promise out of the original NXT folks. But, Heath Slater has cut an in-ring promo 3 weeks in a row on WWE TV (I don't know exact numbers throughout this thread, but they should be roughly close because I watch and read everything). Now, that wouldn't be a problem if Slater were immensely entertaining or in line for a main-event push - but in my opinion - he is not. Until the 1000th episode, WWE has had 2 hours to put its best foot forward each week. What am I getting at? How do they determine who they give the mic to week in and week out?

Dolph Ziggler has had the mic in his hand inside the ring MAYBE once in the last 8-10 weeks. Here is someone you are pushing to the main event scene and we never get to hear his point of view. I'm sorry, but 1-2 minute backstage clips or a quick 2 sentences walking past Vickie during an entrance are just not sufficient. He didn't even get a live promo on RAW this week while his manager was GM. Heath Slater, Ryback's Jobbers, David Otunga, Eve, Jinder Mahal, and hell, even Camacho on the back of a bike have ALL cut as many or more promos than Ziggler infront of a live audience in that span. It doesn't add up to me.

I guess what I'm getting at is - if you are going to push someone - let us get to know them. Dolph is winning us over borderline ENTIRELY with his ridiculously impressive in-ring work. It's only a 2 hour show, if you are going to give a select few the privelage of cutting live promos, let the relevant people cut them. (I guess the argument is, how else can we make guys like Camacho more relevant unless we let them cut a promo for cheap heat here and there? Valid point, fine with it as long as it doesn't keep guys like Ryder, Ziggs, or Rhodes from mic time.)

Its a good thing for the internet and Youtube, or we might not know Dolph can even do impressive mic work. Unfortunately, the casual fan might not even know that. Casual fans count too when it comes to selling merchandise and making noise at the live events.

Thoughts?

MachoManFan
06-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Vickie has been Ziggler's mouth piece for ages and while he hasn't cut a promo he was in the backstage segment with the flowers and had a pretty impressive rant at AJ recently. Also (SPOILER) watch Smackdown tonight.

duece137
06-29-2012, 09:52 AM
All Slater is doing is having a mini promo to give you a hint at the next legend he is going to get destroyed by.

bartish2
06-29-2012, 10:23 AM
All Slater is doing is having a mini promo to give you a hint at the next legend he is going to get destroyed by.

thats the thing though, regardless of knowing slater will get destroyed you still cant wait to see him because its entertaining and hes funny on the mic

CricketTragic
06-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Ladies. Gentlemen.

I'll try to keep this brief, but I'd like to make note of something that tends to not make sense to me. I apologize in advance if this comes off as 'picky', but I'm an avid and loyal fan to the WWE and this website, and I need some clarity from you guys.

While reading the recap of Superstars, I noticed Heath Slater cut another in-ring promo. Now, I'm not bashing on Slater, I think he has shown some real promise out of the original NXT folks. But, Heath Slater has cut an in-ring promo 3 weeks in a row on WWE TV (I don't know exact numbers throughout this thread, but they should be roughly close because I watch and read everything). Now, that wouldn't be a problem if Slater were immensely entertaining or in line for a main-event push - but in my opinion - he is not. Until the 1000th episode, WWE has had 2 hours to put its best foot forward each week. What am I getting at? How do they determine who they give the mic to week in and week out?

Dolph Ziggler has had the mic in his hand inside the ring MAYBE once in the last 8-10 weeks. Here is someone you are pushing to the main event scene and we never get to hear his point of view. I'm sorry, but 1-2 minute backstage clips or a quick 2 sentences walking past Vickie during an entrance are just not sufficient. He didn't even get a live promo on RAW this week while his manager was GM. Heath Slater, Ryback's Jobbers, David Otunga, Eve, Jinder Mahal, and hell, even Camacho on the back of a bike have ALL cut as many or more promos than Ziggler infront of a live audience in that span. It doesn't add up to me.

I guess what I'm getting at is - if you are going to push someone - let us get to know them. Dolph is winning us over borderline ENTIRELY with his ridiculously impressive in-ring work. It's only a 2 hour show, if you are going to give a select few the privelage of cutting live promos, let the relevant people cut them. (I guess the argument is, how else can we make guys like Camacho more relevant unless we let them cut a promo for cheap heat here and there? Valid point, fine with it as long as it doesn't keep guys like Ryder, Ziggs, or Rhodes from mic time.)

Its a good thing for the internet and Youtube, or we might not know Dolph can even do impressive mic work. Unfortunately, the casual fan might not even know that. Casual fans count too when it comes to selling merchandise and making noise at the live events.

Thoughts?

I agree with this totally although the 'E may think that ziggler is already Alpha popular and therefore needs no air time

KJ PUNK
06-29-2012, 10:45 AM
And what happened to all those that cut a promo? They got squashed.

Ziggler won't get squashed by a "conquering babyface" that comes to save the audience from the heel. Therefore he doesn't need to cut an in-ring promo.

Glamour Girl
06-29-2012, 11:33 AM
I agree with this totally although the 'E may think that ziggler is already Alpha popular and therefore needs no air time

Wish they'd apply that thinking with John Cena.

Amerinaine
06-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Wish they'd apply that thinking with John Cena.

Well, except Star Wars promo's anyways.

Cabers
06-29-2012, 12:54 PM
Exactly he said something to the effect Ruler of the world (totally not what he said but i cant remember it) out comes Sycho (Psycho) Sid 2 to 3 minutes later and Heath Slater is outta there.

Edgehead_14
06-29-2012, 06:59 PM
I think a wrestler should be free to say anyone he/she wants on the mic. It would be interesting to see the likes of Curt Hawkins speak their mind on the mic. This would improve their skills on the mic and maybe better a fan base and television ratings. A superstar such as Hawkins should not be excluded from saying something on the mic. It might better a rivalry a superstar is in and interest the fans into the superstar. Currently the World Wrestling Entertainment branch are not letting their superstars better their selves on the mics for the following reasons.

1) Scared of losing ratings
2) Inexperienced of a superstar mic skills
3)Loss of fan reaction

I think it is a shame of not letting a superstar speak their minds. Hopefully the Wwe shapes their mind.

- Edgehead_14