PDA

View Full Version : Small Cities are Banned!?

CM Rock-Austin
06-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Source: The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Vince McMahon (http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news?Item%5Btags%5D=Vince%20McMahon)'s latest directive is to not mention the names of cities that he believes are "not big league". Basically, if Vince doesn't feel that the city is big enough, he doesn't want there to be any mention on TV.

On Monday night for RAW (http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news?Item%5Btags%5D=RAW), he gave the word not to mention "Fort Wayne, Indiana" on the air. He also made the same call for the June 5th SmackDown in Columbia, South Carolina.
To me this is stupid, how are you not going to acknowledge a city that allowed you to have your show there. Fans payed for tickets and bought your merchandise but you are not going to mention their city because it is not "big enough". I don't know what goes through Vince's head sometimes, hopefully you guys can help me out here :confused:. What do you guys think about this?

Bodom
06-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Not that big a deal.

K2Jelly
06-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Not that big a deal.

I agree. I went to TLC in Baltimore last year and we didn't care if our city was mentioned or not. In fact, I don't even remember if it was or not. As long as the fans have a good time, that's all that matters.

HeelTurn
06-28-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm used to seeing on Raw and SD taped in London, Manchester, Birmingham or whatever "United Kingdom", not even England lol

Kenny Kaos
06-28-2012, 02:13 PM
Must be why Wade Barrett is billed from Manchester and not his real home town of Preston. Nobody has heard of Preston, its just not an important place :)

Bodom
06-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Must be why Wade Barrett is billed from Manchester and not his real home town of Preston. Nobody has heard of Preston, its just not an important place :)

They've been doing that for years though.

Billing someone from the nearby, larger city instead of where they're actually from isn't a new concept. Not just WWE, but wrestling in general.

K2Jelly

Hey! The creator of Wallace and Gromit is from Preston! :mad:

SilverGhost
Doesn't seem too bad.

HeelTurn
06-28-2012, 02:18 PM
I remember a time when they filmed a show at Manchester, yet they showed the streets of London, Big Ben etc on the screen.

K2Jelly
06-28-2012, 02:19 PM
They've been doing that for years though.

Billing someone from the nearby, larger city instead of where they're actually from isn't a new concept. Not just WWE, but wrestling in general.

Heck, remember when R-Truth accidentally did it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho6jbxnxGds

SLEEPY LOCO1
06-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Hey! The creator of Wallace and Gromit is from Preston! :mad:

Who?

OT: I'm glad I live in a big, well known city.:cool:

K2Jelly
06-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Who?

OT: I'm glad I live in a big, well known city.:cool:

Nick Park is the creator of Wallace and Gromit. He just happens to be from Preston.

CM Rock-Austin
06-28-2012, 02:35 PM
I agree. I went to TLC in Baltimore last year and we didn't care if our city was mentioned or not. In fact, I don't even remember if it was or not. As long as the fans have a good time, that's all that matters.
I guess that is true, but I thought people would care though if their city isn't mentioned. I guess I was wrong lol, I bet the small cities that won't be mention are the one's without sport's teams.

Playboy Stevie V
06-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Yeah I don't understand why it's a big deal on either side. Who cares if he doesn't say the city. Then again I don't understand why Vince cares what city is mentioned is big enough?

I think it's bad PR though. You should give love to every city or if not, don't publicly mention that you're not.

SLEEPY LOCO1
06-28-2012, 02:47 PM
I guess that is true, but I thought people would care though if their city isn't mentioned. I guess I was wrong lol, I bet the smallcities that won't be mention are the one's without sport's teams.

I think I live in the biggest U.S. city without a pro sports team.:(

bartish2
06-28-2012, 03:00 PM
yes because refusing to acknowledge which city their in which rakes you in on average 100,000$ US is really a smart thing to do... It just shows you don't care enough about the fans to not care which city you are in as long as you are entertaining fans.

Pumpkinhead
06-28-2012, 03:06 PM
When WWE first came to Costa Rica, the show was held in Alajuela and they billed as San Jose which is our capital, do we care about it???, no

CM Rock-Austin
06-28-2012, 03:10 PM
I think I live in the biggest U.S. city without a pro sports team.:(

Yea, Las Vegas does need a sports team lol.

Cabers
06-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Bah like it makes you think if anyone from Ireland made it to WWE that wasn't from Dublin would he be announced from his town awwhh hell naww!! This would actual make a brillaint geography gif "Mcmahon Geography"

justinjackson1983
06-28-2012, 04:28 PM
likelyhood Vince is trolling the Inetrnet by putting this rumor out there, and once they are In a small city and the town gets mentioned by a babyface, hoping it will make the crowd react in a * he has broke kayfabe* sort of way.

Wade Barrett 1979
06-28-2012, 04:37 PM
I can think of things that bother me more than this:

Which is better: Bio or non-bio?

For one!

justinjackson1983
06-28-2012, 04:39 PM
I can think of things that bother me more than this:

Which is better: Bio or non-bio?

For one!

Non Bio if you have a baby!

Jerichoholic-NL
06-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Most of those crowds suck anyways. They should do more shows in the NY-NJ-PA area, and Boston & Miami are also good. Canada too

Robstar
06-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Vince's self perpetuating ego just keeps on getting more bizarre. The further WWE puts themselves away from Joe Everyday, the less identifiable the product will become to normal people. People say it doesn't matter but it's like dying from a thousand tiny cuts. You let this go by, you let another...pretty soon you're complaining about the state of things when you know you could have done something or said something sooner

Kenny Kaos
06-28-2012, 05:00 PM
The only reason I have ever heard of Battlecreek, Michigan, is cos of RVD! I'm sure this isn't a major city in the states, so why mention that and not other lesser known places? Why not bill Barrett from Preston? I know he is a proud Prestonian, if RVD can do it, why not Wade?

Xpacfan
06-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Reason #89 why I stopped watching the WWE...

K2Jelly
06-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Vince's self perpetuating ego just keeps on getting more bizarre. The further WWE puts themselves away from Joe Everyday, the less identifiable the product will become to normal people. People say it doesn't matter but it's like dying from a thousand tiny cuts. You let this go by, you let another...pretty soon you're complaining about the state of things when you know you could have done something or said something sooner

I still don't understand how not mentioning the small cities they're in is a bad thing. Its not like they're flat out not going to them.

Suhayl
06-28-2012, 05:21 PM
The only reason I have ever heard of Battlecreek, Michigan, is cos of RVD! I'm sure this isn't a major city in the states, so why mention that and not other lesser known places? Why not bill Barrett from Preston? I know he is a proud Prestonian, if RVD can do it, why not Wade?
Because 'Battlecreek' sound f'n amazing, bro. #WWWYKI

HeelTurn
06-28-2012, 05:24 PM
It is insulting to the city, I mean they're good enough to give Vince money but not to be named on TV?

I can understand him doing it all over the World due to how ass-backwards Vince and the WWE are with geography, but to do it in America, its main base of operations??

Kenny Kaos
06-28-2012, 05:35 PM
[/COLOR][/FONT]
Because 'Battlecreek' sound f'n amazing, bro. #WWWYKI

True, saying that Blackpool sounds like a swap filled with faecal matter

HeelTurn
06-28-2012, 05:36 PM
True, saying that Blackpool sounds like a swap filled with faecal matter

Yet they announce Regal as from there, yet most people outside the UK would not have heard of it lol

Amerinaine
06-28-2012, 05:38 PM
I personally don't care. I kinda have a bigger interest in the matches. Not whether or not he names my town.

lykkekage
06-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Vince bans smaller towns getting mentioned ..

Yet their #1 guy is being billed from West Newberry, Massachusetts

Amerinaine
06-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Vince bans smaller towns getting mentioned ..

Yet their #1 guy is being billed from West Newberry, Massachusetts

Daniel Bryan: Aberdeen, Washington...Where on the map is that.

LostOmega
06-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Let's put it this way... If a big name singer, songwriter, etc. goes to Orlando and says "Thank you, Miami!, you better believe they won't be making any money from their merchandise. I feel like Vince has finally lost his mind and it's going to bite him in the ass in the long run.

Robstar
06-28-2012, 08:30 PM
I still don't understand how not mentioning the small cities they're in is a bad thing. Its not like they're flat out not going to them.

It's the attitude of "we'll take your money but won't look you in the eye". It's basically the attitude of a whore.

Robstar
06-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Daniel Bryan: Aberdeen, Washington...Where on the map is that.

Try the other Washington dude

Amerinaine
06-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Try the other Washington dude

Aberdeen, Washington...Texas????

And I was being a smartass. This one and the initial one. More of a comment on Small Cities and them not being mentioned. Next week, Bryan will be from Seattle, Washington.