PDA

View Full Version : WWE Network Will Flop

bearkg88
06-27-2012, 05:54 PM
I've been thinking about this, and I wanted to share my thoughts and get others thoughts. We were suppose to get the WWE Network around Wrestlemania, and then it was in November of this year, and now according to the latest dirt sheets, it may not be until sometime in 2013. There was also talk that when it comes out, it might not be a part of a package, but instead a premium channel. Similar to HBO, or Starz, or Showtime, you would pay an extra amount to get this channel. There is no denying that the WWE has a MASSIVE selection of programming they could go through, but to me, the WWE is in such a state that it would be better to focus on improving things, then growing. I like the idea of adding another channel on ION in October, and I think the cruiserweight show should get it's own time slot on a channel, maybe put it before Raw at 7. I think the constant delaying of the Network, while I can understand why they are doing it, is simply hurting the chances of being profitable.

helmsley
06-27-2012, 07:09 PM
personally i would like to see the channel i think it could be very interesting! but i guess its only for wrestling fans, and thats the difference with hbo, starz and so on, that almost everybody likes movies and series, thats why you pay extra, not everybody enjoys wrestling so much in order of paying extra bucks

akbar
06-27-2012, 07:29 PM
It will be a catastrophic disaster that will lose WWE lots of money.

LostOmega
06-27-2012, 07:42 PM
If the WWE is planning to charge for the channel, it'll do more than flop. It could possibly be the downfall of the 'E itself. Let's think about this. The amount of staff they have to pay (cameramen, producers, directors, etc.) would be astronomical for an entire channel. On top of that, they still have to pay their talent and they'd being paying even more people if they do a separate show for the cruiserweights. Factor in the expenses involved in simply paying to keep the channel running and we're looking at a lot of money down the drain!

People don't even want to pay the money to see the PPVs every month. The only way this could work is if the WWE plans to have 3 or 4 original shows on the network and then rerun the shows along with classic matches. I don't know about everybody else, but I'm not going to shell $20 extra every month to pay for reruns of Legends House (which just seems like an awful premise for a show, I'm sorry). If the network is going to launch, it needs to be on regular cable supported by advertisements and the money they make off of their main programs i.e. Raw and Smackdown.

wrestlingfan66513
06-27-2012, 08:05 PM
I hope they don't make it a premium channel or I won't get it. They should try to get companies to buy into it first so it won't be much of a risk, get it on PSN and Xbox Live since there is a good market there, and have an online service where people with accounts to cable or satellite companies can use their account to watch it online (i.e HBO Go)

Wrestling1
06-27-2012, 08:19 PM
i was just gonna post a thread on this today. i honestly think that it wont happen at all! they will have a deal witha network to do small shows like the cruiserweight show they planned on doing. which prob would have been the only think i would have watched anyway

Dennis
06-27-2012, 09:26 PM
If the WWE is planning to charge for the channel, it'll do more than flop. It could possibly be the downfall of the 'E itself. Let's think about this. The amount of staff they have to pay (cameramen, producers, directors, etc.) would be astronomical for an entire channel. On top of that, they still have to pay their talent and they'd being paying even more people if they do a separate show for the cruiserweights. Factor in the expenses involved in simply paying to keep the channel running and we're looking at a lot of money down the drain!

People don't even want to pay the money to see the PPVs every month. The only way this could work is if the WWE plans to have 3 or 4 original shows on the network and then rerun the shows along with classic matches. I don't know about everybody else, but I'm not going to shell $20 extra every month to pay for reruns of Legends House (which just seems like an awful premise for a show, I'm sorry). If the network is going to launch, it needs to be on regular cable supported by advertisements and the money they make off of their main programs i.e. Raw and Smackdown.
if the xfl didn't make the wwe flop nothing will haha don't be so pessimistic

URATOOL
06-27-2012, 09:33 PM
Shows that will never appear on the network.

Mark Henry teaches ballet.
Rey Mysterio's make up and hair care tips.
The Great Khali's late night chat show.
John Cena visits the brothels of the deep south.
Kane's gospel choir show.

Dennis
06-27-2012, 10:25 PM
shows that will never appear on the network.

Mark henry teaches ballet.
Rey mysterio's make up and hair care tips.
The great khali's late night chat show.
John cena visits the brothels of the deep south.
yes! Yes! Yes!

HCollins-TNA1
06-27-2012, 11:29 PM
Shows that will never appear on the network.

Mark Henry teaches ballet.
Rey Mysterio's make up and hair care tips.
The Great Khali's late night chat show.
John Cena visits the brothels of the deep south.
LOL

WWE Raw as well if the network flops or bombs or don't even launch.....

johnnydropkicks
06-28-2012, 12:26 AM
to your point about strengthening their core before they expand and make new diversifications/launch new platform I couldn't agree more.

more pitches that were cancelled

Hornswoggle Masterpiece Theater

Dr. AJ

Home Wrestling Workout with Sin Cara

X-Treme Stadium Parkour

Diva Match Replay

Sandow

Judge 'tunga

John Cena: Road Bachelor Extraordinaire

Backstage Politics: Time to Play the game

akbar
06-28-2012, 06:49 AM
Fuck it, let me pitch some ideas too.

-Randy Orton: Celebrity Rehab
-Jerry Springer: John Cena special
-1004 ways to piss of foreigners with Chris Jericho
-Alberto Del Rio in search of a fan
-Wine taster club with CM Punk
-Heath Slater's Bob Dylan masterclass
-Escape from the army with Randy Orton
-Triple H dramatises Hamlet
-John Laurinaitis People Power (Nothing funny about this show, I just love People Power)

hystrix
06-28-2012, 06:57 AM
Oh, ok. See when I read the title for this topic, I thought someone had some intellegent conversation as to why it would fail...

...now I see it is merely a topic about "I thnik the WWE network is goona fail....derrrrr" and little else.

Any one have an actual reason it might fail?

akbar
06-28-2012, 07:19 AM
Oh, ok. See when I read the title for this topic, I thought someone had some intellegent conversation as to why it would fail...

...now I see it is merely a topic about "I thnik the WWE network is goona fail....derrrrr" and little else.

How about you Read the first page, most of the posts are what your looking for.

tupelojoe81
06-28-2012, 08:25 AM
i would LOVE this channel........my DVR would constantly have something recording.

Lowki
06-28-2012, 11:12 AM
I've been thinking about this, and I wanted to share my thoughts and get others thoughts. We were suppose to get the WWE Network around Wrestlemania, and then it was in November of this year, and now according to the latest dirt sheets, it may not be until sometime in 2013. There was also talk that when it comes out, it might not be a part of a package, but instead a premium channel. Similar to HBO, or Starz, or Showtime, you would pay an extra amount to get this channel. There is no denying that the WWE has a MASSIVE selection of programming they could go through, but to me, the WWE is in such a state that it would be better to focus on improving things, then growing. I like the idea of adding another channel on ION in October, and I think the cruiserweight show should get it's own time slot on a channel, maybe put it before Raw at 7. I think the constant delaying of the Network, while I can understand why they are doing it, is simply hurting the chances of being profitable.
So you'd rather them rush the network out? WWE never officially announced anything, afaik it has been the dirt sheets making up these release dates. They will take their time and make sure they are ready to release the network because they are a smart business. They can tentatively announce a release date, but until it's set in stone and then postponed, it cannot be considered a "flop". There is definitely a Niche in the market. One way they could work it is to have Every Raw, ECW, Nitro episode air nightly (weekly) IN ORDER! That would keep a current of former viewers tuning in (kinda like people tune in every week for raw).

tweedidldum
06-28-2012, 11:14 AM

No one has a reason it's just another opinion. I think it's great if you are a true fan, if your only a casual fan...nothing gained nothing lost! simple as that.

Cabers
06-28-2012, 03:22 PM
Can see it being popular for about 2 weeks and then take the proverbial shit and die.

Pumpkinhead
06-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Can see it being popular for about 2 weeks and then take the proverbial shit and die.
XFL anyone??

FXK2I
06-28-2012, 03:50 PM
So the Great Khali Zumba Fitness idea was cancelled too?:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtXAGPpgJFw

imswm
06-28-2012, 03:58 PM

The WWE already has a pay option and it's been in operation for years here on Comcast--WWE Classics. It's an On Demand option with something like 100 hrs of material changed each month--much of it pretty cool--and virtually everything you are saying above is pure supposition, e.g. the "astronomical" overhead for production costs and $20 fee.

So, relax, there's absolutely no way the investors and McMahons would ever let one venture put the WWE out of business.

Wade Barrett 1979
06-28-2012, 04:11 PM
The WWE already has a pay option and it's been in operation for years here on Comcast--WWE Classics. It's an On Demand option with something like 100 hrs of material changed each month--much of it pretty cool--and virtually everything you are saying above is pure supposition, e.g. the "astronomical" overhead for production costs and $20 fee.

So, relax, there's absolutely no way the investors and McMahons would ever let one venture put the WWE out of business.

At least there are some lucid members here! Well said!

johnnydropkicks
06-28-2012, 04:18 PM
who says the mcmahons are the ones who even want the network? I don't think it's the McMahons who are after the network so much; it's the investors that have the pressure on for the network. the premium channel niche thing is proven to generate a lot of money and has staying power and I think the investors want that set up the sooner the better while the ratings are still high because they're worried that WWE eventually will lose more viewers on USA and ppv buys will drop.

HCollins-TNA1
07-06-2012, 01:15 AM

WWE does have a extensive Video library and production.... From wrestling AWA, WCW/NWA, WCCW, UWF, USWA and ECW to past endevers XFL, WBF, and etc. to WWE Films with 19 movies already out or to be released and more to come I'm sure... Also original programming with Raw, Smackdown, Superstars, NXT, and and PPVs and new shows they may add...

The big things is how will the channel be distributed to the people??? Will it be free added to basic-cable and satellite or a Pay package of $10 or more dollars a month.... Not many people will spend the extra money to add a channel esp if they isn't fans of wrestling...
Look at WWE audience 4 to 5 million compare to 73 million households with cable TV... then 32 million satellite subscribers..... a Pay for channel would hurt if only 5 million buys or subscribes to the channel out of 100 million.....
Basicially it all depends on the route they take with the channel.... get it on basic cable/a basic satellite package it will succeed, if a Pay for channel, it will fail and bomb....

HCollins-TNA1
07-06-2012, 01:18 AM
who says the mcmahons are the ones who even want the network? I don't think it's the McMahons who are after the network so much; it's the investors that have the pressure on for the network. the premium channel niche thing is proven to generate a lot of money and has staying power and I think the investors want that set up the sooner the better while the ratings are still high because they're worried that WWE eventually will lose more viewers on USA and ppv buys will drop.

It Vince McMahon that wants the channel or been wanting to create the channel..... I think the investors and BOD is more cautious about the channel reason why it gets pushed back or delayed.... Just cause the audience might not be there to support it...

pgarcia79
07-15-2012, 04:29 PM
Why wouldn't the WWE Network succedd?? I look at some of the most obscure channels sometimes (that show nothing but re-runs!), and that have been on for years, and I think HELL YEAH the WWE network could do better than this. Personally, I hope the WWE doesn't rush it. I hope they take their time to get it out right. Hell, I've gone my whole life without a network like this. I'm not gonna bitch like the rest cause I have to wait a couple of more months.

eyehatecena
07-15-2012, 10:34 PM
With the exception of Smackdown and Raw- every other show WWE has tried- ECW, Superstars, Sunday Heat, NXT, ....etc have failed- or been moved to the internet.

The WWE Network- sure it may be cool for, like someone said, two weeks- but then what- especially if the channel cost extra to have(that to me is the biggest turn off). I think their best bet would, to hopefully succeed, is to team up with an established, but low rated, channel on basic cable/directv/dish...etc and have WWE programming on it. It would probably cost less money and if it fails, a lot easier situation to get out of.

They could still have the PPVs as is and with all the stuff WWE has in their video libraies- AWA, WCCW,WCW,Mid South, ECW- along with the original programming- the Diva's show(if they have any left by then) The old wrestlers living together show, etc- plenty of stuff to fill up daily schedules.

Point is, if it were free, I would watch some of the network- but if it cost money? I'd rather spend it on more important things- bills, food, insurance, fuel, etc