PDA

View Full Version : Does the WWE believe in CM Punk/Bryan

jwt15
06-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Do you think the WWE trust CM Punk Vs Daniel Bryan as a true main event? I have not followed WWE as close as I have in the past but every time I do CM Punk the world champ is in the first few matches now. I know Cena is the top guy for WWE but it just feels like the WWE does not trust the Punk/Bryan matches to draw intrest into Raw, which imo could be 10000 times better than Cena/Big Show/Ace.

Thoughts?

SilverGhost
06-25-2012, 11:39 PM
They do believe in Punk vs Bryan. It is just Cena matches has priority but you know what Punk said that any match that he is in with the title on the line is the main event, whether he is opening the show or not.

The Brown One
06-25-2012, 11:46 PM
Do you know why they usually put Punk in the first hour of Raw? It's because the ratings tend to dip in the second hour, and when Punk comes on, they really drop. That's why they put him earlier in the show, and have Cena to end it - who actually brings up the ratings, or doesn't drop them too much. Face it, Punk isn't as big of a draw as people would have hoped.

Tommy Thunder
06-25-2012, 11:48 PM
They do believe in Punk vs Bryan. It is just Cena matches has priority but you know what Punk said that any match that he is in with the title on the line is the main event, whether he is opening the show or not.

This.

Placement on the card doesn't necessarily dictate what the main event is. It's whatever match the crowd chooses to treat as the main event. And Punk vs Bryan will always be treated as the main event in comparison to Cena vs Big Show (for example).

With that said, IMO, the WWE title match will be the main event for the MITB ppv.

jwt15
06-25-2012, 11:53 PM
Do you know why they usually put Punk in the first hour of Raw? It's because the ratings tend to dip in the second hour, and when Punk comes on, they really drop. That's why they put him earlier in the show, and have Cena to end it - who actually brings up the ratings, or doesn't drop them too much. Face it, Punk isn't as big of a draw as people would have hoped.

But to me the reason the ratings drop when they have Punk on is because of the charcter is now. They had him in one of my favorite storylines in wrestling in a long time last summer. He was pulling good ratings then. But then they got away from the whole Straight Shoot gimmick of punk and now imo, he really has no gimmick, unless I have missed something. You could say he is using the best in the world gimmick maybe? But it just seems they have given up on him to me even though they still have him as the Champion.

The Brown One
06-25-2012, 11:59 PM
But to me the reason the ratings drop when they have Punk on is because of the charcter is now. They had him one of my favorite storylines in wrestling in a long time last summer. He was pulling good ratings then. But then they got away from the whole Straight Shoot gimmick of punk and now imo, he really has no gimmick, unless I have missed something. You could say he is using the best in the world gimmick maybe? But it just seems they have given up on him to me even though they still have him as the Champion.

You have a point there. He was really entertaining when he was doing mini shoots every Raw after he did that epic shoot. He would have everyone talking about him for the whole week after every Raw. But it seems creative has gotten burnt out on storylines as of late, as evidenced by some of this - Natalya's farting gimmick, Santino becoming IC champion, Ryder being in a main event storyline, and Ryback's pointless destruction. They need to get their heads clear, but it's hard to do when there's 3 weeks between some PPVs. Hopefully they'll have enough time to build to a great MITB and SS.

LMPunker
06-26-2012, 07:10 AM
i think they should have punk and bryan on last just to tease the possibility that the winner of the wwe title money in the bank may cash in keep people guessing

Bane of Balin
06-26-2012, 08:17 AM
But to me the reason the ratings drop when they have Punk on is because of the charcter is now. They had him in one of my favorite storylines in wrestling in a long time last summer. He was pulling good ratings then. But then they got away from the whole Straight Shoot gimmick of punk and now imo, he really has no gimmick, unless I have missed something. You could say he is using the best in the world gimmick maybe? But it just seems they have given up on him to me even though they still have him as the Champion.

They pulled that rug out from under him and have stuck him with a new "I Dig Crazy Chicks" gimmick that will get him nowhere. They did the same thing with Zack Ryder, by making his character focus more on something/someone else (i.e Eve) and then lose all focus with HIS character.

If you'll notice in the last few years especially, the people who do manage to get themselves over are given a small wave of success/ push to ride for a short amount of time, then have the rug pulled out from under them. Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but WWE will not allow anyone to get over anymore unless they have a hand in creating it. And unfortunately they are doing a terrible job of that.

dragonsrevenge
06-26-2012, 09:25 AM
They do, otherwise they wouldn't have them compete for the title on three consecutive PPVs. The Raw MITB match will close the show this year though, just because Cena is in it. I don't know what their obsession is with putting Cena on last. It's not like everyone will go home if he's on halfway through.

HeelTurn
06-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Even if Orton or Jericho or Rey were champ, Cena would still go on last. Its just the way things seem to be as of late.

K2Jelly
06-26-2012, 09:38 AM
I don't see why order of matches really matter that much. Cena's first, Cena's third, Cena's last, who cares? Daniel Bryan/CM Punk have been delivering the best PPV matches in the past few months anyway and the order in which they compete didn't make their matches any less entertaining.

Daffy Duck's Finest
06-26-2012, 09:41 AM
This.

Placement on the card doesn't necessarily dictate what the main event is. It's whatever match the crowd chooses to treat as the main event. And Punk vs Bryan will always be treated as the main event in comparison to Cena vs Big Show (for example).

With that said, IMO, the WWE title match will be the main event for the MITB ppv.

Let's hope.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Cena basher, in fact he's upped his game a little this year. However, you cannot keep placing him last on every PPV, you have to mix it up a little. Yes, Cena is the biggest draw out there, but ratings aren't going to drop during PPVs, simply due to the fact that people are paying to see it. So whilst placing him last on Raw makes sense from a ratings perspective, how does it help PPVs?

ratedy2jayz
06-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Daniel Bryan and CM Punk are ALWAYS in the overrun segments, and wrestlers on twitter or in interviews seem to indicate that slot is extremely vital to the overall ratings.

The Brown One
06-26-2012, 09:52 AM
Let's hope.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Cena basher, in fact he's upped his game a little this year. However, you cannot keep placing him last on every PPV, you have to mix it up a little. Yes, Cena is the biggest draw out there, but ratings aren't going to drop during PPVs, simply due to the fact that people are paying to see it. So whilst placing him last on Raw makes sense from a ratings perspective, how does it help PPVs?

I've been wondering this too. It's not like you're going to waste $45 - $60 ordering a PPV and then walking out half way through. You should watch the whole thing, since you paid for the 3 hours.

HeelTurn
06-26-2012, 09:54 AM
I've been wondering this too. It's not like you're going to waste $45 - $60 ordering a PPV and then walking out half way through. You should watch the whole thing, since you paid for the 3 hours.

Exactly, and its not like you can order PPVs one match at a time so you would only order the Cena match.

K2Jelly
06-26-2012, 09:57 AM
It has to do with shock value. The ending of PPV's, nowadays, are used to enhance the most popular storyline so the wrestlers who are a part of that storyline will end the show. It makes sense since you don't want the impact of new development of the storyline to fizzle out with another match starting immediately following it.

bearkg88
06-26-2012, 08:15 PM
I think they trust them, but Cena is the golden goose. Just like Cena was the main event at EC, WM, ER, OTL, and NWO, he will be the main event at MITB in the WWE Championship MITB Match

steveorton
06-27-2012, 08:29 AM
Yes I mean Punk vs Bryan has been in the main event scene for 3 ppvs now (this is counting MITB). If WWE didn't see something in these guys this wouldn't have happened.

Robstar
06-27-2012, 12:32 PM
I don't believe Vince has faith in the feud, that's why he's inserted 2 of his favourite elements in there - a girl (I won't call her a woman) AJ and a big guy, Kane. It's wrecked it for mine

PSOjedi
06-27-2012, 12:38 PM
- a girl (I won't call her a woman) AJ
I met her online at Mass Effect 3 :rolleyes:

Robstar
06-27-2012, 12:44 PM
I met her online at Mass Effect 3 :rolleyes:

Really it was a 43 year old dude in his mothers basement

Amerinaine
06-27-2012, 12:54 PM
AJ is the second youngest Diva on the roster, so I guess in that area, Rob has a point. K2 is younger. All that aside, if the WWE didn't believe in them, they would have stories with them in it. They wouldn't be part of the title picture at this juncture. I imagine that they would not even be part of the midcard and be buried like McIntyre or Rex or Miz.

Cabers
06-27-2012, 02:05 PM
I think yes and i agree 100%.

IrkenInvader
06-27-2012, 02:10 PM
I hope they put Punk/Bryan first. That way I don't have to watch the newest Cena rerun.