PDA

View Full Version : Just a interesting Heath Slater observation from a old timer

Playboy Stevie V
06-24-2012, 09:16 PM
First of all I'm a rock n wrestling era kid. The only reason I'm telling you all this is because I was watching dvr raw with my dad last night, so you can imagine he's a old timer.

I thought I would share a interesting conversation the old man had with me regarding Heath Slater.

He saw Heaths segment with Piper and asked me where his partners are. I told him Nexus was done. He told me he was talking about the rest of the Freebirds, cause Slater is a Freebird. He told me that Slater is a young Michael PS Hayes. He said if used right, Slater could be a star.

I never gave Slater that much thought, but now I do. It was a interesting statement from a observation of a old time wrasslin fan.

Thoughts?

Tommy Thunder
06-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Interesting observation indeed.

I'm firmly of the belief that Slater's talented. He can talk good, he can tell a story in the ring, and his in-ring ability is very solid. I think with the right push he could be a star. Not sure if he's main event material, but I certainly believe that he can be an upper mid carder for sure.

AWrestlingGod
06-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Heath Slater could be a great intercontienal champion, I could see a storyline where he gets fed up with everything, and hopefully something snaps in him where he just destroy a legend.
I could see some memorable moments with him such as a Health slater concert, him carrying a guitar (like Jeff Jarrett) I just like Heath Slater.

And I love the fact he is on tv every week.

Tommy Thunder
06-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Heath Slater could be a great intercontienal champion, I could see a storyline where he gets fed up with everything, and hopefully something snaps in him where he just destroy a legend.
I could see some memorable moments with him such as a Health slater concert, him carrying a guitar (like Jeff Jarrett) I just like Heath Slater.

And I love the fact he is on tv every week.

That's another observation that I didn't think of before. He does strike you as a Jeff Jarrett type annoying heel. Perhaps he should start carrying a guitar to the ring with him!

AWrestlingGod
06-24-2012, 09:54 PM
That's another observation that I didn't think of before. He does strike you as a Jeff Jarrett type annoying heel. Perhaps he should start carrying a guitar to the ring with him!

I would have loved for him to smash a guitar over Cyndi Laupher.. She had it coming Lol

Tommy Thunder
06-24-2012, 09:58 PM
I would have loved for him to smash a guitar over Cyndi Laupher.. She had it coming Lol

As if that segment didn't own anyway, that would have made Raw for me on monday lol!

Robstar
06-24-2012, 10:17 PM
That's an awesome observation! If he was teamed with Bray Wyatt and perhaps Trevor Murdoch, managed by Michael Hayes - the Freebirds could ride again!

scribbler_jones
06-24-2012, 10:37 PM
I just wonder... when will WWE allow us to take Heath Slater seriously? I've only seen him win one match recently... As much as many people despise the guy, I like him. Not saying he needs to be pushed to the top (yet) but throw him a damn bone already.

As far as his rockstar gimmick, I think it works for him. I like the above suggestions - especially giving him a prop guitar. Hell, if Hawkins gets to tote a cane, why not? And it would make for one hell of a foreign object.

AWrestlingGod
06-24-2012, 10:44 PM
I just wonder... when will WWE allow us to take Heath Slater seriously? I've only seen him win one match recently... As much as many people despise the guy, I like him. Not saying he needs to be pushed to the top (yet) but throw him a damn bone already.

As far as his rockstar gimmick, I think it works for him. I like the above suggestions - especially giving him a prop guitar. Hell, if Hawkins gets to tote a cane, why not? And it would make for one hell of a foreign object.

Remember when he was in the Nexus and pinned both Edge and Chris Jericho, remember when he was in Money in the Bank and did those Corksrew planchas, he can be taken seriously lol they just don't give him the opportunity to constantly show it.

scribbler_jones
06-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Remember when he was in the Nexus and pinned both Edge and Chris Jericho, remember when he was in Money in the Bank and did those Corksrew planchas, he can be taken seriously lol they just don't give him the opportunity to constantly show it.

I remember those occasions, and it bugs me. Heath can bring it, but I feel that they will not let him. I understand, there is a certain need for jobbers... to an extent. At the very least, wouldn't it make Slater look more credible to allow him to win every so often? That way, people won't tune in and just say "How will that redhead kid get his ass kicked this week?"

bigrence202
06-24-2012, 11:08 PM
thats one hell of a comparison,and a hell of a compliment,in his day Michael PS Hayes was one of the best heels ever the fued between the Birds and the Von Erich family was amazing, he could talk,wrestle,tell a story in the ring,have all the guys in the audience hate his guts,and have the females loving him. Heath Slater has a long way to go before i would even compare them, but i do see his potential, and i like the guy his annoying heel persona gets over, creative needs to just let him get in there and work,forget about these squash matches,beefing with celebrities and all that other BS, the guy can put on a legit match,i would much rather see him than Santino and that god forsaken sock puppet of his,

Playboy Stevie V
06-24-2012, 11:34 PM
thats one hell of a comparison,and a hell of a compliment,in his day Michael PS Hayes was one of the best heels ever the fued between the Birds and the Von Erich family was amazing, he could talk,wrestle,tell a story in the ring,have all the guys in the audience hate his guts,and have the females loving him. Heath Slater has a long way to go before i would even compare them, but i do see his potential, and i like the guy his annoying heel persona gets over, creative needs to just let him get in there and work,forget about these squash matches,beefing with celebrities and all that other BS, the guy can put on a legit match,i would much rather see him than Santino and that god forsaken sock puppet of his,

Oh yeah, I totally agree with you. Hayes is a legend and I have fond memories of him. He is totally underrated when folks talk the best wrestler, Mic worker, charisma, of all time. I loved the old sportatorium and wccw.

Its hard for anyone to be compared to Michael.

Usually my old man doesn't hook into one wrestler and throw something out there. I know he's not a fortune teller but I can only remember 3 wrestlers he ever focused on before they made it big and proclaimed a big future for them if used right. One was Shawn Michaels when he was in the AWA. Two Rocky Maivia after his Survivor Series debut. Three Stunning Steve Austin after he saw him wrestle Steamboat in WCW.

So when he made the statement about Slater, I was floored. I was just sitting there thinking, what did he see that I'm not seeing? Then I started to think, wow Slater as a modern day Freebird, it could work you crazy old BASTARD...LOL

Viperfish
06-25-2012, 12:18 AM
I guess Slater's the next nothing to construct and ride a bandwagon for, eh? Didn't we see what happened with Zack Ryder?

...in all seriousness, I see nothing in the guy but that's me being overly negative. It's far too early for me to make a call like that. Ryback is in that category for me too. Every time Slater opens his mouth I swear I can hear toilets flushing in the background. He's got that "ugh God, shut up" quality in him, the same as Vickie Guerrero but for a different reason. After that segment on Raw he's a male Jillian Hall right now.

SilverGhost
06-25-2012, 12:21 AM
That's an awesome observation! If he was teamed with Bray Wyatt and perhaps Trevor Murdoch, managed by Michael Hayes - the Freebirds could ride again!

The team of Heath Slater and Trevor Murdoch would be interesting to watch!

BadAndy
06-25-2012, 12:36 AM
I'm sorry but his mic skills are atrocious. His lisp thing is as bad as Ric Flair and Flair always drove me crazy on the mic. Also, where I've seen growth and potential with a lot of the other Nexus wrestlers I've yet to see it from him. Finally, that hair style with the short/shaved sides went out of style in 1995. He needs major work and repackaging before I'd ever consider him as a viable wrestler to deserve a run at a title or having a spot on the roster.

Rick BoA
06-25-2012, 01:44 AM
He is good enough on the mic that I think he could manage a tag team while having occasional matches, similar to Gangrel.

Robstar
06-25-2012, 01:49 AM
One thing they should most certainly stay away from....Michael Hayes' dream of being a rock star! That was......bad(street) - not in a good way either

Mikeyboy7777777
06-25-2012, 05:58 AM
the thing i like about heath slater the most is that he isn't a whining bitch he does what he's told he's the kind of guy wwe can create and make a wwe produced star

Joonny
06-25-2012, 06:14 AM
Heath Slater is being used a lot on tv (as a jobber).
He is very good on the mic, and his gimmick suites him well.
He could be a good Intercontinental or US Champion one day.

I wouldn't mind seeing him with a major title in a few years either. WWE just have to use him right.

The Piper
06-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Slater is an amazing heel, he gets the crowd to despise him no matter where they are. And he has the look to be one of the great guys in the WWE. However, WWE likes wasting talent, so nothing is coming his way anytime soon.

Cabers
06-25-2012, 12:56 PM

That would actually be class!! I'm Heath Slater the one man rock band *whack* wooo woooooo *flicks hair*

Marx
06-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Interesting observations. I agree that Slater could be a succesful, longterm WWE employee. And I think management sees something in him, because they chose him to do the Flo Rida-job in the Wrestlemania period. It might be just jobbin, but Vince loves having celebrities at WM and they always pair them (the celebrities) with people they trust. So, I conclude, they trust Slater to do the job. He hasn't been off tv since, I believe.

And to add to that: I'm getting the same vibe with David Otunga, whom I - just like Slater - initially found to be absolutely terrible. Not in the 'heel heat' terrible, just plain awful. But I enjoy watching them both, Otunga with the coffee mug thing.. they've really grown since coming in with NXT. I believe it comes down to work ethic: they both work their asses off, job when asked.

Though I understand the Jeff Jarrett comparison, I'd rather not see Slater carrying a guitar. That's someone else's gimmick, it's been done. He deserves to be the first Heath Slater, not the second Jeff Jarrett.

Playboy Stevie V
06-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Interesting observations. I agree that Slater could be a succesful, longterm WWE employee. And I think management sees something in him, because they chose him to do the Flo Rida-job in the Wrestlemania period. It might be just jobbin, but Vince loves having celebrities at WM and they always pair them (the celebrities) with people they trust. So, I conclude, they trust Slater to do the job. He hasn't been off tv since, I believe.

And to add to that: I'm getting the same vibe with David Otunga, whom I - just like Slater - initially found to be absolutely terrible. Not in the 'heel heat' terrible, just plain awful. But I enjoy watching them both, Otunga with the coffee mug thing.. they've really grown since coming in with NXT. I believe it comes down to work ethic: they both work their asses off, job when asked.

Though I understand the Jeff Jarrett comparison, I'd rather not see Slater carrying a guitar. That's someone else's gimmick, it's been done. He deserves to be the first Heath Slater, not the second Jeff Jarrett.

I personally get those same vibes with Otunga. And I felt the same way about him when he first started too, hated him. Right now though something in the back of my mind is telling me this guy (Otunga), has the body, Hollywood good looks, Hollywood connection, highly educated (I think. If not I got kayfabed) and he is only lacking with his mic skills right now.

I feel that if he could get real good on the mic, you could possibly have.....I dare not say it.....The next Rock.

You guys can all jump on me now, but easy on the face this time. It's my bread and butter.

CobraNightviper
06-25-2012, 02:05 PM
The Rock?thats funny Otunga dancing on smackdown reminded me of a really ripped Carlton from fresh prince of bell air but he did make me laugh so I give him credit for that but he definetly has a long way to before he reaches Rock status.

tupelojoe81
06-25-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm a Slater fan as well. His promo stuff on Raw this past Monday was awesome, and it seemed perfectly natural for him.

the only thing i dont like, is he the "one man southern rock band" or just the "one man band"? They cant make up their minds.

Playboy Stevie V
06-25-2012, 02:24 PM
The Rock?thats funny Otunga dancing on smackdown reminded me of a really ripped Carlton from fresh prince of bell air but he did make me laugh so I give him credit for that but he definetly has a long way to before he reaches Rock status.

He has light years to go. He has the right design to start it off though.

Carlton Dance RULED.

Playboy Stevie V
06-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Just to keep you all up to date I just literally picked the old mans brain,as soon as he walked into the office, again about this Slater/Freebird comparison, since it seemed to get some positive nods from some.

I straight up asked him "if" they where going to make a new Freebird stable who would HE put in it with Slater?

He said without hesitation, that he would have Michael Hayes manage and the name "Freebirds" doesn't necessarily have to be the stable name, but he'd put Slater, Husky Harris.....and get this.... sign JOEY RYAN and put him in the stable.

I just laughed and told him THAT WOULD BE AWESOME.

You gotta love old time wrasslin fans.

Tommy Thunder
06-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Just to keep you all up to date I just literally picked the old mans brain,as soon as he walked into the office, again about this Slater/Freebird comparison, since it seemed to get some positive nods from some.

I straight up asked him "if" they where going to make a new Freebird stable who would HE put in it with Slater?

He said without hesitation, that he would have Michael Hayes manage and the name "Freebirds" doesn't necessarily have to be the stable name, but he'd put Slater, Husky Harris.....and get this.... sign JOEY RYAN and put him in the stable.

That WOULD be awesome!!

I really like Joey Ryan. His Ron Burgundy character is actually one I'd like to see more of. I think TNA missed a trick in not signing him.

Robstar
06-25-2012, 03:28 PM

Yeah you'll see earlier that I mentioned Harris/Wyatt/Rotundo for a spot. Find out what your old man thinks of Trevor Murdoch. I'm willing to bet he's a fan of 'Dirty' Dick Murdoch ;)

Playboy Stevie V
06-25-2012, 04:27 PM
Yeah you'll see earlier that I mentioned Harris/Wyatt/Rotundo for a spot. Find out what your old man thinks of Trevor Murdoch. I'm willing to bet he's a fan of 'Dirty' Dick Murdoch ;)

He seemed to like that too.

CobraNightviper
06-25-2012, 06:52 PM
I agree with you totally.

BadAndy
06-26-2012, 01:05 AM
He doesn't make me hate him because he's a heel and that's his job. I just honestly don't see what anybody sees in him. He's even more of a channel changer/bathroom break than the Divas. I think Otunga has more going for him than Slater. I don't see anything in him to make him a second Edge. He's really just annoying and boring.